Statement from Darrelle Revis on his Release

JetNation

IMG_3543.jpg

Shortly after the NY Jets announced that Darrelle Revis is being released, Revis tweeted a thank you to the organization.

Woody Johnson’s Statement on Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis is one of the greatest players to ever wear a Jets uniform,” Jets owner Woody Johnson said in a statement Tuesday evening.“His combination of talent, preparation and instincts is rare and helped him become one of the most dominant players of his generation. I appreciate Darrelle’s contributions to this organization and, wherever his career takes him, his home will always be here with the Jets.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
shUsaBY8IVY

Click here to read the full story...

Top three Jet of my lifetime. We honestly had possibly the best player in the NFL a year or two. Broke my heart going to Pats and winning a Lombardi. Quit on us this year. So gonna hate on him for a bit.  I will clap as a proud Jet fan when he is inducted first ballot hall of fame. But for right now? "This" minute? F-You Darrell, kind of a dick.  

Some of you miserable people welcome Jason taylor to my beloved Jets and speak about a great Jet like Revis as if he were garbage . At this moment, I hate the fact that I happen to like anything some of you say you like .  Revis never took a penny from 1 Jet fan who didn't give it to Woody Johnson 1st . It was Woody's money and he has a kind word for a great N Y Jets .

Why don't you follow his example .

Revis was an all time great Jet and and an all-time great at his position.  It was an honor to have him here.  And I don't begrudge him for trying to maximize his $$ in the "not for long" league.  However, I do feel some of what SouthParkCPA said: "it's all business, me too towards him".   I would've been fine w/ everything if he didn't mail it in last year.  That left a bit of a bad taste.  But overall, I feel lucky he was a Jet.  I'd happily take many more just like him.

15 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Why don't you follow his example .

His "example" is filled with a me first attitude and unparalleled greed.  So he worked the system to his advantage - good for him and his bank account.  Doesn't mean I need to like it or him.

1 all world season followed by an obnoxious and distracting holdout isn't exactly the same as Willis Reed hobbling on the floor for game 7.

Revis made me proud to be a jets fan which is a rare feeling for all of us. I hate that he prioritized money but at the same time I get it.

Doing it all again I wish Tanny could have been more creative with his contract.  As a few people have mentioned he was the best non qb player in 09 & 10. While it's hard to invest that much money in a non qb, Tanny needed to recognize that fact and address it as such. 

51 minutes ago, Pac said:

His "example" is filled with a me first attitude and unparalleled greed.  So he worked the system to his advantage - good for him and his bank account.  Doesn't mean I need to like it or him.

1 all world season followed by an obnoxious and distracting holdout isn't exactly the same as Willis Reed hobbling on the floor for game 7.

Revis was never  1 of my heroes, just a football player on a team I rooted for .  When he was at his best, I enjoyed watching him play and when he did what he did to better his family  it didn't bother me one bit . I was just happy the Jets thought he was worth the money .

By the way,  when I said follow his example , I meant Woody's example  .    

Great player, but he will always be tarnished for me. The whole hold out thing, the ring as a Pat.

Then the dismal display last year, where he would not tackle, on 17 mill per. 

Total mercenary, I know it's a business but Revi$ is the standard for greedy selfish players.

He's never going past Joe Willie, Klecko, or even Martin on my top Jets list, my be not even top 5. He's below Toon, and Wes Walker.

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Top three Jet of my lifetime. We honestly had possibly the best player in the NFL a year or two. Broke my heart going to Pats and winning a Lombardi. Quit on us this year. So gonna hate on him for a bit.  I will clap as a proud Jet fan when he is inducted first ballot hall of fame. But for right now? "This" minute? F-You Darrell, kind of a dick.  

It makes me sad that you're old enough to have watched Joe Willy, Don Maynard and Joe Klecko and you put Revis above them.

He was a great player for this team and yeah he held out but they all do. What really pissed me off was signing with the Pats. Then he won his ring and mailed it in after that. At least they did it with class and respect. Something I hope becomes the standard of a team not exactly known for that.

While I can understand some people having higher opinions of Revis than others, I have to admit I'm rather surprised by the level of praise given for the 2010 season.  Do we all have the same memory of this?  He was a disappointment for half the season, which was the direct result of him showing up completely out-of-shape after his holdout.  Even if you're one that supports his holdouts, and that's certainly your prerogative, I can't imagine anyone thinking it's praiseworthy to be at complete fault for a bad start to the season and then a non-contact injury related to being in poor physical shape.  Now don't get me wrong, he certainly stepped it up in the second half of that season, but that can't reasonably be considered an all-time great season under the circumstances.  His 2009 season was most definitely a special one, but it stands alone in that regard in his career.  That's not to say he didn't have other very good seasons, but nothing like that one.

In the end, I do wish Revis luck in his future endeavors, but mostly so that another team is willing to pay him $6M+ this year.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It makes me sad that you're old enough to have watched Joe Willy, Don Maynard and Joe Klecko and you put Revis above them.

How old do you think I am? Maynard left the Jets when I was 7. Namath when I was 11. I meant players who  I got to watch their entire career. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

How old do you think I am? Maynard left the Jets when I was 7. Namath when I was 11. I meant players who  I got to watch their entire career. 

So you're old enough to have watched them, like I said. 

Archived