Random Thoughts Before Practice

KRL

- Considering the #2 QB gets the majority of reps in the first two pre-season games, it makes sense
for Hackenberg to stay in that spot for now.  His early improvements need to be seen with "live bullets" 
flying before he should move up

- Surprising that some of Petty's reps were given to Hackenberg after only two practices

- After hearing Bowles presser yesterday it seems they are installing the offense from scratch.  So
it makes sense that we haven't seen "vertical" elements yet.  So whether the offense can keep the
opponents from stacking the box will remain

I am as excited by the coaching changes as anything else we did in the offseason. It seems Bowles has made some excellent choices.

Thanks for great job you have been doing, KRL. I look forward to your reports all through the off-season and find myself disappointed when you have to go back to work.

What's going to be interesting is when / if Hackenberg has a bad practice how will he
react the next time he takes the field?  Does he shrug it off and continues to progress
or does he go in the tank?  When evaluating a young QB you need to see if he can handle
adversity

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Considering the #2 QB gets the majority of reps in the first two pre-season games, it makes sense
for Hackenberg to stay in that spot for now.  His early improvements need to be seen with "live bullets" 

- Surprising that some of Petty's reps were given to Hackenberg after only two practices

- After hearing Bowles presser yesterday it seems they are installing the offense from scratch.  So
it makes sense that we haven't seen "vertical" elements yet.  So whether the offense can keep the

Just spitballing here.

Is it more that the #2 gets more reps when you have an established starter and you are trying to determine who the backup is going to be?  I was curious if that's typically the same for teams with young, developing starters that need reps with the #1s? 

Recent history seems mixed.  Winston and Mariota were the starters in their teams' first preseason games in 2015.  Interesting difference though is that Winston played the first half and Mariota only played 3 series.  Wentz did not start his first preseason game but came in at the end of the 2nd quarter and stayed in but they still had Bradford then.  For me, if they want to run McCown for 2-3 series to start, that's not a tragedy.  But I'd be disappointed if he  played nearly the entire first half and Hack only came in when all of the #1s were done.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2548761-breaking-down-jameis-winstons-nfl-preseason-debut

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Marcus-Mariota-Gets-Off-to-Nice-Start-in-Preseason-Opener/95d0c560-6322-4fba-bbf3-3458ae5e3a09

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/carson-wentz-eagles-first-preseason-game-philadelphia-highlight-recap-video-starter-sam-bradford-081116

Great insights though, particularly the last point. I'm disappointed Petty seems to be fading but as long as one of the two is ascending, that's what it's all about and it's probably better that one of them is clearly better at this point so we don't split reps all the way through camp.

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

What's going to be interesting is when / if Hackenberg has a bad practice how will he
react the next time he takes the field?  Does he shrug it off and continues to progress
or does he go in the tank?  When evaluating a young QB you need to see if he can handle
adversity

Given all the adversity he's had the past two years, i think he'll be fine.  

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Given all the adversity he's had the past two years, i think he'll be fine.  

Reminds me of what he said leading up to the draft:

Christian Hackenberg says he's 'battle tested' after Penn State career

Of his past two seasons, Hackenberg remains positive. "I was put through a lot of adversity I'd never faced before in my career," he said. "Throwing a bunch of interceptions, taking a bunch of sacks, getting beat up. So, being able to do that and stay on the field, never miss a start, and be a good leader? That was a huge learning experience for me."

"A lot of guys that go through their college career where everything's great and they win, and they never really get punched in the mouth," he said. "Having been hit in the mouth multiple times, gotten back up, and continued to fight through is something I'll always take a lot of pride in."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15416924/nfl-draft-2016-qb-christian-hackenberg-says-battle-tested-college-career-penn-state-nittany-lions

Just now, C Mart said:

Reminds me of what he said leading up to the draft:

Christian Hackenberg says he's 'battle tested' after Penn State career

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/id/15416924/nfl-draft-2016-qb-christian-hackenberg-says-battle-tested-college-career-penn-state-nittany-lions

It's clear he's working hard to fix fundamental flaws.  It's good to see it's translating to the practice field.  If he can do it in preseason games we'll see him vs. the bills opening day.  

57 minutes ago, KRL said:

I think this is a direct result of what's been happening in the classroom, who's more aware of what's happening in the playbook, understanding defensive looks etc. 

In addition, maybe because they feel Petty is what he was drafted to be, a backup, and they want the starter battle between the vet and the guy they think can be a starter.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

I think this is a direct result of what's been happening in the classroom, who's more aware of what's happening in the playbook, understanding defensive looks etc. 

In addition, maybe because they feel Petty is what he was drafted to be, a backup, and they want the starter battle between the vet and the guy they think can be a starter.

Bingo! It's been well documented the learning curve he's faced coming from Baylor's offense, He's now trying to learn his 2nd NFL system in 3 yrs...

Also could explain why McCown is getting "1st reps" FOR NOW!

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hack is a pro style passer, he's wired that way.  Petty does not seem to have made the transition yet, and i maintain he may not make this team.  There may yet be better qbs cut who are more worth carrying than him anyway.

My Thoughts of the Day are:

• Tough to predict a record for this team, but new/QBs always surprise.  The NFL is mostly about preparation and talent.  If you can't observe an offense to prepare for it, they tend to surprise.  See Sanchez, Geno, Fitz.
  • I think the Jets got their acts together on the coaching staff, but that just makes you question more what they were doing last year.
  • I am not as hopeful on some of the talent selection, but I am open-minded.  
  • I am sure Hack is being choreographed, but the news all looks good.  The other 2 QBs sound really not good.  The one interesting thing to note about Hack is how serious and dedicated he is.  There does not seem to be any drama behind him-it looks incredibly fit and it sounds like he works really hard.   The 2 CA QBs do sound like headcases a little bit.
  • I wonder about the RBs.  I think we could use a power back who could catch.  The Jets could have used Cook or Mixon, but we were not drafting them (see DL below).
  • The OL will be interesting.  Seems that over the past few years we think they are going to be worse than they are.  I think Marshall does a good job coaching them
  • The WR group could be worrisome.  Peake needs to rally, because he has the real size they need.  TEs should be a big improvement.
  • DL sounds great.  They are overstaffed-SR should be traded, but you can really see how much teams really value high draft picks.  That is why Macc will take changes with FA players, just not in the draft.
  • LBs are a complete mystery.
  • We know Claiborne is a great CB.  Its just a matter of how healthy he can be.  The secondary will be as healthy as he is.  I think he will be good enough.

46 minutes ago, KRL said:

Hackenberg is exactly where I hoped he would be when I was cheering the day the Jets drafted him . It's funny, but I have had the same plan for developing a young QB since I started watching Cutler in college at Vandy . I wanted a young QB who could spend the whole 1st year sitting behind a veteran, then spend his 2nd year challenging that Veteran for the starting Job . Back then, I wanted the Jets to draft Jay Cutler and have him sit behind Chad Pennington  who was coming back from yet another arm injury . From his freshman year, I have kept an eye on Hackenberg, and despite the miserable numbers, I wanted that kid on the Jets .

I never in a million years would have figured the Jets coaching staff would do what I wanted with Hackenberg . I further have to admit that once the reports started circulating about how bad Hackenberg was looking I was worried, but I was still willing to see it through. Now I read these reports and I am excited about what might be but I have to temper that excitement.

Hackenberg is exactly what I was looking for , and the Jets coaching staff has done exactly what I was hoping they would do .  The rest is up to Hackenberg and hopefully, the Jets will have the QB I have long been looking for .     Let's slow walk this thing so we can try and achieve the best possible result for our Jets .

bowles.jpg

KRL will be at #JetsCamp again today, here are all of his NY Jets training camp reports. Here are a few quick hits, thoughts from KRL on what he has seen so far at camp.

– Considering the #2 QB gets the majority of reps in the first two pre-season games, it makes sense for Hackenberg to stay in that spot for now.  His early improvements need to be seen with “live bullets” flying before he should move up.

– Surprising that some of Petty’s reps were given to Hackenberg after only two practices.

– After hearing Bowles presser yesterday it seems they are installing the offense from scratch.  So it makes sense that we haven’t seen “vertical” elements yet.  So whether the offense can keep the opponents from stacking the box will remain.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
eMIqWj17A4Q

Click here to read the full story...

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Thank you KRL, the voice of reason.  We needed that first bullet point with some of the conversation around here the past 2 days.  Enjoy camp today I look forward to your thoughts later tonight!

2 hours ago, KRL said:

adversity

This is why I like the report yesterday about him getting yanked and yelled at for not getting out the huddle in time.  According to you and others, it seems right after that lost rep, he came back out and put together 2 nice passes back to back.  That's encouraging to me that he didn't take it to heart or let it get in his head.  

3 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

I am as excited by the coaching changes as anything else we did in the offseason. It seem Bowles has made some excellent choices.

I so agree with this...

With all the Bubba Gump talk that swirls around Bowles this is often overlooked.  If the Jets players don't perform it wont be because they didn't have the right coaches in place trying to get the job done and that is important to know.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It's clear he's working hard to fix fundamental flaws.  It's good to see it's translating to the practice field.  If he can do it in preseason games we'll see him vs. the bills opening day.  

This is important because with Mark Sanchez for example, he never seemed to demonstrate how his practicing translated to improved play on the field.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

They gave up on petty last year when he was playing and they were running a super conservative offense at times and not playing to his strengths. 

Who gave up on him, the font office and HC who's out there with him or the offensive coaches who are no longer with the team ?  

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Who gave up on him, the font office and HC who's out there with him or the offensive coaches who are no longer with the team ?  

The HC and the front office are in  charge of the oc, the head poach and the front office have petty stuck at #3 inserting a lousy jag vet and a suspect 'red shirt' 2nd rounder in front of him.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is important because with Mark Sanchez for example, he never seemed to demonstrate how his practicing translated to improved play on the field.

Actually it did, because every time the Jets gave Sanchez more to do, he failed and forced the team to scaled down the offense . Many a Jet fan will tell you that when Mark Sanchez lost his good teammates it led to his demise, but the truth is when you can't execute new schemes, other teams figure out the old schemes you only know how to run .  

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Actually it did, because every time the Jets gave Sanchez more to do, he failed and forced the team to scaled down the offense . Many a Jet fan will tell you that when Mark Sanchez lost his good teammates it led to his demise, but the truth is when you can't execute new schemes, other teams figure out the old schemes you only know how to run .  

but they only seemed to figure it out when he lost all the talent around him which was weird.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The HC and the front office are in  charge of the oc, the head poach and the front office have petty stuck at #3 inserting a lousy jag vet and a suspect 'red shirt' 2nd rounder in front of him.

The lousy Jag knows what he's doing even if he's having trouble executing it . The suspect 2nd rounder is showing improvement in his overall game while having to learn a new offense . After spending 2 training camps in 1 offense, Petty stunk up the joint when he got a shot and in his 1st year in a new offense is seen calling a timeout and talking the OC before running a play .

McCown has the experience

Hackenberg has proven to understand pro concepts . his issue was always his execution, not his understanding of concepts

Petty needed to learn what both knew and thus far it appears he hasn't . His issue has always been his understanding of pro concepts .

Blame the front office and HC if it makes you happy or deal with the facts .

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Great deal of respect for your opinions, but I have to disagree here. If they are seriously considering starting Hackenberg opening day of the regular season, he'll need as many reps with the starters as he can get with them in the preseason. The coach can adjust the rotation of players any way he sees fit. Nothing stopping him from giving Hack the first half and first series of the third quarter in the first three games. 

I could see maybe -maybe-  starting McCown in the first game in an abbreviated stint, just to let the butterflies settle before throwing Hack out there for the first time this year, but that would be it. Again, that's if Hack continues outperforming the other QBs, and they're leaning towards him as their starter this year. 

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

but they only seemed to figure it out when he lost all the talent around him which was weird.

I said it before and I will say it again now . Mark Sanchez sabotaged the promising career of Brian Schottenheimer because he couldn't run his offense .For the time that Schottenheimer was Mark's offensive coordinator, Rex Ryan scaled back the offense every year until he finally fired the kid .Schottenheimer ran a motion multiple set offense designed to highlight a QB and Mark Sanchez executed a high school offense designed to hide a QB .

A divorce was inevitable and a good man who was highly thought of before meeting up with Rex and Mark suffered for it . 

9 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I said it before and I will say it again now . Mark Sanchez sabotaged the promising career of Brian Schottenheimer because he couldn't run his offense .For the time that Schottenheimer was Mark's offensive coordinator, Rex Ryan scaled back the offense every year until he finally fired the kid .Schottenheimer ran a motion multiple set offense designed to highlight a QB and Mark Sanchez executed a high school offense designed to hide a QB .

A divorce was inevitable and a good man who was highly thought of before meeting up with Rex and Mark suffered for it . 

yes, we only made 2 title games w/ that QB and OC but they all sucked.  Mark was really good in 2010, he was good in 2011.  Brian was fired and we lost all our weapons and mark sucked in 2012.

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Dude !?!?

you do realize that talking up your feelings for the promising Sh*tty erases any hope we were feeling for your judgement about Hack right?

I still hope Hack can bring it ... But the warm fuzzy feeling I was getting from your talking him up just turned to sour stomach 

50 minutes ago, slats said:

Great deal of respect for your opinions, but I have to disagree here. If they are seriously considering starting Hackenberg opening day of the regular season, he'll need as many reps with the starters as he can get with them in the preseason. The coach can adjust the rotation of players any way he sees fit. Nothing stopping him from giving Hack the first half and first series of the third quarter in the first three games. 

I could see maybe -maybe-  starting McCown in the first game in an abbreviated stint, just to let the butterflies settle before throwing Hack out there for the first time this year, but that would be it. Again, that's if Hack continues outperforming the other QBs, and they're leaning towards him as their starter this year. 

The second part is what I'm imagining will be happening and draw ire from many, but it wouldn't bother me too much, even though I can certainly understand the "sooner the better" mentality.  Now what happens after that first game would be an entirely different story, just as long as Hack of course doesn't look like complete crap out there of course.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yes it did. The problem was that his single in game performances did not translate into a season's worth of in game performances.

If he had not looked so good in some games he would not have jerked us around for so long and taken so much of our money.

Then he proceeded to go into a downward spiral to the fetal position. Oh the humanity! My God we deserve a franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

He got another chance with the Rams. How'd that work out? 

It worked so well that he got another shot as OC with the Bulldogs. How'd that work out? 

It worked out so well that he's now the QBs coach for the Colts. We'll see how that works out. 

Archived