If Hackenberg fails to look as good as Watson, Kizer, and Trubisky

Pointdexter

The young kids are balling out and showing franchise potential. Hack has a full year of nfl experience and coaching over these kids. Theoretically he should be ahead. Macc better hope Hack at least matches the level of the rooks performances, tonight against Tenn. 

It's bad enough to draft a bust. It's a whole other level of bad if you let multiple franchise qbs get away bc of your mistake to draft said bust. A lot on the line for Macc's future, in my opinion. 

Btw, it's early yet but we were told over and over the '17 qb class was hot garbage. Sure not looking like it so far. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.

It's one thing to take a flyer on a kid you think may be overlooked in an attempt to win the lottery.  I get that.  But to make the mistake of passing on better QB's in said attempt to hit the lottery, that's an unforgivable sin.

SAR I

1.  They were in no position to draft Trubinski, he has nothing to do with us.

2.  No one wanted Kizer. 

3.  Watson was more of the same, all people complained was about his drop off and his arm.

Fans overreacting to a handful of throws against scrubs is typical though.  

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Be prepared for that to happen.  Not guaranteeing anything or bashing the kid, but as Cimini reported, he's completed 50% of his passes during team periods in camp.  

How many drops, how many wrong routes?  A lot has been written about an over abundance of dropped passes by this WR group.  

Not really significant if you don't know the whole picture..  He's had most of his practices with second or lesser units. 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

How many drops, how many wrong routes?  A lot has been written about an over abundance of dropped passes by this WR group.  

Not really significant if you don't know the whole picture..  He's had most of his practices with second or lesser units. 

This is a good start keep it going REAL JETS FANS

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not an issue.  Issue has been the number of balls way off the mark and hitting the dirt.

He's also locking on to one receiver and taking sacks if he's not open or throwing INTs.

five picks in last two practices, four during team periods.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not an issue.  Issue has been the number of balls way off the mark and hitting the dirt.

He's also locking on to one receiver and taking sacks if he's not open or throwing INTs.

wow SOJF

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

2.  No one wanted Kizer. 

3.  Watson was more of the same, all people complained was about his drop off and his arm.

Lol at #2. What the hell does it matter what the fans want. It's Macc's job, not the fans, to get it right. Macc doesn't get a pass bc the majority of fans may have agreed with him. Of course if you want to pick a nit, most fans were well on-board with Kizer in the 2nd, where he went, just not in the 1st.

Regarding your first point, you know we are allowed to trade up for a QB, just as the team who ultimately drafted Trubisky did, right?

For this particular draft, it's not the same.  Had we taken Kizer, Watson, and especially Mahomes, none of them would have had a chance to be successful.  Our roster was gutted prior to the draft and even more so since then.  

Its not hard to argue that any QB in the league could look good behind our OL and with our WRs. So what would end up happening is first, you end up having to play one of them too early and possibly destroy any confidence they had, and two, we'd have to pass on Darnold next draft who has a much higher ceiling than any QB drafted in a long time.

I'm not sure what the future holds for either Macc and Bowles, but their beds were made when they took Hackenberg.  There was nothing else they could do except ride this train off the cliff and hope they can survive.  As fans, I hope, that watching 2017 play out will get us a top ten QB that we can "competitively rebuild" the next couple of seasons and when Brady finally retires, we can compete.

14 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yeah but it's not like you are there or anything to actually see it first hand.

SOJF overreacting to tweeets and meaningless preseason games. 

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hopefully hack can step up. Not saying he will but I just don't think Petty is the answer. He didn't look good last year and I think he went 4 of 12 during the intra squad scrimmage.

I'm ok with the rebuild and I'll support either kid if the coaches think there is some long term potential.

But if we have to sit through McCown playing that will be painful.

Btw, Mahomes had a very impressive debut last night too. So add him to the list. It's crazy early, I get that, but all 4 top QBs from the '17 class looking like keepers. As many as 3 of them may be their team's starter this year.

On a strange unrelated note, I haven't heard any of their coaches or GMs talking about the ever-popular and savy "redshirt" strategy. ....The fools. 

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

can't believe this guy 

Yeah, a guy retooling his mechanics while going through an install of a complicated offense calling 3 plays in the huddle and then reading the defense and calling s play at the line of scrimmage while being surrounded by miserable talent better play awesome in a meaningless preseason game where the coaching staff is calling plays to evaluate fringe players or I'm going to be PISSED OFF

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

2.  No one wanted Kizer. 

Bring on the Ratt and the Clown. Where's they at? They could save this franchise. for sure.

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Yeah, a guy retooling his mechanics while going through an install of a complicated offense calling 3 plays in the huddle and then reading the defense and calling s play at the line of scrimmage while being surrounded by miserable talent better play awesome in a meaningless preseason game where the coaching staff is calling plays to evaluate fringe players or I'm going to be PISSED OFF

THERE U GO KEEP IT POPPING REAL JETS FANS LOCK ARMS

Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow (15) passes against the Cincinnati Bengals in the second half of an NFL preseason football game, Sunday, Aug. 15, 2010, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Ed Reinke)

CINCINNATI - Fans booed. Flashes went off. Tim Tebow had arrived in the NFL.

With a much better haircut and a bruising touchdown, no less.

CINCINNATI—Kyle Orton was impressive in his preseason debut against the Cincinnati Bengals.

He threw two touchdown passes in three series Sunday night and reminded Broncos fans that he’s the one running the offense if not selling the most jerseys.

For those of you who missed Brady Quinn’s NFL pre-season debut Saturday night, the Browns rookie was pretty impressive.  Quinn entered the game down 23-7 with just a shade over 9 minutes remaining and ended up rallying his troops to two fourth quarter scores.  Quinn’s performance wasn’t enough to secure a win for the Browns, but his play has received a lot of praise from around the NFL

If there is one thing Johnny Manziel is used to, it's attention. Despite Brian Hoyer being named the starter for the Cleveland Browns' first preseason game, Manziel was the main attraction and did not disappoint.

Fans would have been unsatisfied if they were expecting wild, game-breaking plays from Manziel. In fact, he was the exact opposite; he was under control, poised and used his ability to extend plays when needed during a 13-12 loss to the Detroit Lions on Saturday night.

On paper, Manziel finished his first preseason game 7-of-11 for 63 yards and a QB rating of 79.0. In reality, he was light-years further than most thought he would be at this point. That means the quarterback competition in Cleveland is alive and well.

Of the 14 quarterbacks seleced in the 2014 NFL draft, Arizona's Logan Thomas was the most impressive in his preseason debut, according to ESPN's Ron Jaworski. Thomas completed 11 of 12 passes for 113 yeards and a touchdown.

Dalton certainly didn't look like a 16-game rookie starter during his first preseason action in 2011. Dalton completed 11-of-15 passes in Detroit, but he totaled just 69 yards (4.1 yards/attempt) and threw an interception. He was also banged to the turf by Ndamukong Suh.

Overall, it wasn't pretty.

I could go on all day...

Just now, Pointdexter said:

No one needs him to look "awesome". Just show a comparable amount of encouraging promise as the QBs who are a full year behind him.

3 scenarios

1- the Jets GM was smarter than the whole NFL and drafted a savior that the Jets coaches developed into a guy who could win a Superbowl.

2- the Jets actually suck hard and have the #1 pick the year up to 4 quality QB prospects are coming out.

3 - the jets win just enough games miss out and darnold is a bill or brown but it's ok our guy was better than kizer

2 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

This thread is moot. A QB cannot be judged based on one preseason game.

Let's be real. If hack looks good tonight the sojfs will say "lol, remember Browning nagle." If hack looks bad, they'll say "see I told you we should have drafted Lynch-Watson etc..."

You really can't make a legit comparison until they see real game action when it counts. A lot of these guys will be bagging groceries when the season starts. Of course then if Hack looks bad "real jet fans" will use the roster is gutted excuse and blah blah blah. FO.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

2.  No one wanted Kizer. 

1. You make no sense. 

2. No one wanted Hack

3. Where do you come up with your garbage?

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Let's be real. If hack looks good tonight the sojfs will say "lol, remember Browning nagle." If hack looks bad, they'll say "see I told you we should have drafted Lynch-Watson etc..."

Not this sojf. I just want to see some encouraging signs out of Hack: pocket presence, consistent accuracy, going through progressions, etc.

No one, and certainly not me, is anointing these rookies of anything. They did however show promise, things to point to and get their fan bases excited. Just would like to see the same from Hack coming off the red shirt season.

Archived