How the Hell are we scoring on Tennesee?

Kerry Rhodes

In Dvoa Tennesee is the:

-3rd Overall defense in the NFL

-2nd against the Pass in the NFL

-9th against the Run in the NFL

I really feel like our defense can slow them down, but How are we going to score on these guys?

Furthermore, Here is how they do against the skill positions

(Coles)WR 1---Rank 2nd in the league shutting down number 1 wr's.

(Cotchery)WR 2---Rank 2nd in the league shutting down number 1 wr's

(Baker )TE--Rank 7th in the league shutting down TE's.

(Washington) RB--Rank only 15th in the league facing RB's recieving.

(Keller/Stuckey)--Rank 10th in the league against other recievers.

So how would you attack the Tennesee defense?

IMO--These are the types of plays to use this week

-This is a week you throw a ton of screens to Leon.....

-WR screens for 5 yards--use like a running play

-Reverse

-Wildcat

-Underneath stuff to Keller, and Stuckey

-Alot of WR clear out routes...If there going to take away Coles/Cotch might as well open up some underneath stuff.

-Alot of emphasis on working against their over pursuit. They are fast, and aggressive, and its something we can take advantage of.

Looking at the Titans defensive matchups they have not played a balanced offense all season. Wether it Indi when the Colts were having trouble running(Addai out), or GB the same situation they really have not had that balanced attack yet IMO.

Were coming in with a top 5-10 running game, and a top 13 Passing attack although I would say Favre has been playing his best football all year reminding me his play last year.

How do you think were scoring? How many can we put up against this defense? Right now oddsmakers have us scoring around 14-15 this week for reference.

Personally, I think we should attack Tennessee in the same manner that NE attacked us this past week.

Hurry up offense, no huddle, 5 WR sets from a shotgun. I do not believe Tennessee would be able to match up with Coles, Cotchery, Stuckey, Leon, and Keller in a spread offense very well. WR screens and quick slants would be our bread and butter plays.

Their defensive line is very good and would probably be able to pressure us while rushing only 4 players, so getting rid of the ball quickly would be key. We would neutralize the strong interior of their defense by taking them out of the equation in much the same way NE did to us.

The Jets won't change what they have been doing on offense. I expect to see them run the ball early with TJ and Leon as a change of pace. If we can get the run game going early I don't see us having a problem converting on some big pass plays with a secondary that gives up big plays.

I do expect to see them use Leon in the pass game more and not just with the screen play and the wr screen or zero route he scored on Thursday night, but more as a WR in the slot, the Jets have had success with this.

I also expect to see some more wildcat as there was success Thursday with Brad Smith running it.

All in all I think will be fine on offense and with some turnovers on defense and shutting down the run will be in the ball game and set ourselves up for a great chance to win.

This should be a game where we use Leon alot in the passing game.

And just hope Jones and everyone else do just enough.

I would be real hesitatnt with using that package a lot, because they can bring presuure.

And that part of Washington's game leaves a lot to be desired.

The Jets have the problem of either sacrificing Washington of Keller, because you can't have them in the game at the same time often.

Mangold is excellent at sealing bigger DTs and NTs. If he and the guards get it done v Haynesworth they will be able to run enough so that Favre has favorable down/distances with which to work his magic. I like 20-17 too.

Turnovers will be critical. Also, as always, field position. So Neon Leon will makes the difference for the Jets. 20-17.

Mangold is excellent at sealing bigger DTs and NTs. If he and the guards get it done v Haynesworth they will be able to run enough so that Favre has favorable down/distances with which to work his magic. I like 20-17 too.

Turnovers will be critical. Also, as always, field position. So Neon Leon will makes the difference for the Jets. 20-17.

getting to 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 3 will be huge in this game.

You must play in front of the markers with this team, and eliminate penalties.

I would be real hesitatnt with using that package a lot, because they can bring presuure.

And that part of Washington's game leaves a lot to be desired.

The Jets have the problem of either sacrificing Washington of Keller, because you can't have them in the game at the same time often.

I hear ya but we have no other choice because they do bring alot of pressure. Which is why we need Leon to have a big game as a receiver out of the backfield or split out wide. Titans are an aggressive D, we just have to hope they are too aggressive and we burn them with screens and dumpoffs to Leon. Then we can open up the rest of the offense.

I like our chances.

This was a 10-6 game last year with Chad Pennington, Adrien Clarke & Anthony Clement. Tennessee now has Kerry Collins and Chris Johnson, other than that they are largely the same team. Us? We have added Brett Favre, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Dustin Keller, Calvin Pace, Kris Jenkins, Dwight Lowery / Ty Law.

I like our chances.

We have a great chance of winning as long as we effectively shut down their running game like we have been doing all year. I know our pass D has not been great but I am not that scared of Collins and his weak WR corps. Revis will shut down whoever he is on and Law looks like he is still pretty good. We aren't gonna score much obviously but I'm betting on a lot of slants to Coles and some screens to Leon.

This is looking like a 13-10 game or something in that area.

Furthermore, Here is how they do against the skill positions

(Coles)WR 1---Rank 2nd in the league shutting down number 1 wr's.

(Cotchery)WR 2---Rank 2nd in the league shutting down number 1 wr's

(Baker )TE--Rank 7th in the league shutting down TE's.

(Washington) RB--Rank only 15th in the league facing RB's recieving.

(Keller/Stuckey)--Rank 10th in the league against other recievers.

So how would you attack the Tennesee defense?

Good stuff..

I've been using this info o on prop bets lately, I'll post some more in the gambling thread..

-This is a week you throw a ton of screens to Leon.....

-WR screens for 5 yards--use like a running play

-Reverse

-Wildcat

-Underneath stuff to Keller, and Stuckey

-Alot of WR clear out routes...If there going to take away Coles/Cotch might as well open up some underneath stuff.

-Alot of emphasis on working against their over pursuit. They are fast, and aggressive, and its something we can take advantage of.

I would agree with all of the above, the one thing I'm not sure is if they are an overly aggressive defense or well disciplined. A lot of those plays above works best against less disciplined teams..

If I'm the OC, I think I'd vary it a lot, both formation, sets and pace. Run some no huddle when we catch them with a favorable match up where their forced to cover Keller or Washington with a LB.

Leon Washington should be split out in motion a lot this game too.

Good stuff..

I've been using this fino on prop bets lately, I'll post some more in the gambling thread..

I would agree with all of the above, the one thing I'm not sure is if they are an overly aggressive defense or well disciplined. A lot of those plays above works best against less disciplined teams..

If I'm the OC, I think I'd vary it a lot, both formation, sets and pace. Run some no huddle when we catch them with a favorable match up where their forced to cover Keller or Washington with a LB.

Leon Washington should be split out in motion a lot this game too.

If Leon doesn't touch the ball at least 15 times on Offense, we will lose

The Tenn Def will have no issues with TJ

We have a great chance of winning as long as we effectively shut down their running game like we have been doing all year. I know our pass D has not been great but I am not that scared of Collins and his weak WR corps. Revis will shut down whoever he is on and Law looks like he is still pretty good. We aren't gonna score much obviously but I'm betting on a lot of slants to Coles and some screens to Leon.

This is looking like a 13-10 game or something in that area.

the positive is the only above average WR fpr the titans is justin gage so obviously revis will get him and probably some safety help. Justin gage making big catches against the jags is why they won. take gage,white, and cjohnshon out of the game and we win,

The one guy I've really seen tear the Titans Defense apart along with Donald Driver was Dallas Clark in the Indy game. He also had a few drops to got with his 90+ yards and 2 TD's. That's the only very good passing offense Tenn have faced all season and they struggled to stop them. Only for some awful play calls the Colst would have won that game IMO.

That's why I think we need to get Keller involved. He's similar to Clark in terms of what he brings to the table. Try and get the ball in his hands early and often and lets see if they can stop him.

The one guy I've really seen tear the Titans Defense apart along with Donald Driver was Dallas Clark in the Indy game. He also had a few drops to got with his 90+ yards and 2 TD's. That's the only very good passing offense Tenn have faced all season and they struggled to stop them. Only for some awful play calls the Colst would have won that game IMO.

That's why I think we need to get Keller involved. He's similar to Clark in terms of what he brings to the table. Try and get the ball in his hands early and often and lets see if they can stop him.

That right there is the best way to attack them. Get Keller involved early and see what kind of matchup problems he can cause.

the positive is the only above average WR fpr the titans is justin gage so obviously revis will get him and probably some safety help. Justin gage making big catches against the jags is why they won. take gage,white, and cjohnshon out of the game and we win,

Unless Brett turns the ball over 3-4 times. If Jones is not effective running and makes the jets one dimensional, they will tee off on Brett all day. His quick release will save sacks, but will he limit his mistakes when pressured? The opponents QBs have absolutely sucked against their D. A 60.9 QB rating.

The Titans are not rolling people like the Patriots they have won ugly.

Good stuff, KR.

You ask how are the Jets going to score? That's easy to answer: Jets football!!!

Just kidding.

But, seriously, I don't think the Jets have to do anything different on offense than they've already done. What they need to do is block. This game will come down, offensively, to blocking. If the Oline protects Brett and can open up enough holes so Jones can have, at least, 3 yards a carry, the Jets offense will score over 20 points.

If the Titan's front is blowing up the Jets Oline, then the Jets are in big trouble. Protect and win.

Personally, I think we should attack Tennessee in the same manner that NE attacked us this past week.

Hurry up offense, no huddle, 5 WR sets from a shotgun. I do not believe Tennessee would be able to match up with Coles, Cotchery, Stuckey, Leon, and Keller in a spread offense very well. WR screens and quick slants would be our bread and butter plays.

Their defensive line is very good and would probably be able to pressure us while rushing only 4 players, so getting rid of the ball quickly would be key. We would neutralize the strong interior of their defense by taking them out of the equation in much the same way NE did to us.

Didn't we get favre killed in oakland trying this?

Good stuff.

You ask how are the Jets going to score? That's easy to answer: Jets football!!!

Just kidding.

But, seriously, I don't think the Jets have to do anything different on offense than they've already done. What they need to do is block. This game will come down, offensively, to blocking. If the Oline protects Brett and can open up enough holes so Jones can have, at least, 3 yards a carry, the Jets offense will score over 20 points.

If the Titan's front is blowing up the Jets Oline, then the Jets are in big trouble. Protect and win.

The Jets will have Brett Farve take 3 step drops and use short passing plays. The Titan CB's seem to be an area we can exploit maybe we ban slip a long pass in there or 2. I see Thomas Jones being a workhose and carrying the ball 30 times for 100 yards, his yards per carry will be low but ball control will keep the pressure away from Farve. I think our defense can keep Tennesse down to under 17 points and I think our offense will score wnough for us to win.

Didn't we get favre killed in oakland trying this?

Yup vs a MUCH worse pass rush too. I like the idea of throwing early and getting the ball out of Favre's hands early but putting him out of those empty sets 90% of the time is NOT the way to do it. We need to at least show the running game and keep the Titans honest, mixing it up more will help IMO. I love those play action slants to Cotchery which always look to break for big yardage.

Archived