TJB's Bent On Every Gholston Play Sunday

SoFlaJets

Anyone know if he's on the pro bowl ballot??? Cuz he deff should be. :yes:

Who is saying he should be on the pro bowl ballot? There's a lot of us that are simply saying he played well yesterday. Whats wrong with that? Why is that not enough?

We had a luxury with Gholston because we can bring him along. Unfortunately Pace was an irresponsible idiot this offseason and forced us to use him maybe earlier then we wanted, but the kid has stepped up, played well and has contributed to a top 3 defense on an undefeated team. Thats all anyone is saying and this play by play breakdown basically supports everything myself and others have been saying.

Who is saying he should be on the pro bowl ballot? There's a lot of us that are simply saying he played well yesterday. Whats wrong with that? Why is that not enough?

We had a luxury with Gholston because we can bring him along. Unfortunately Pace was an irresponsible idiot this offseason and forced us to use him maybe earlier then we wanted, but the kid has stepped up, played well and has contributed to a top 3 defense on an undefeated team. Thats all anyone is saying and this play by play breakdown basically supports everything myself and others have been saying.

I'll be voting for him! :yes:

Irish Jet, Smashmouth, Lionel Richie?

You may publicly apologize.

you're ****ting me right? $25M and you are happy that he didn't completely **** the bead? time to raise expectations.

this guy has been stealing money since the day he stopped holding out for more of it. if gholston was an UFA like westerman nobody would be critical of him. it's not even that he was the 6th pick of the draft, it's the $25M gauranteed that is so offensive.

you're ****ting me right? $25M and you are happy that he didn't completely **** the bead? time to raise expectations.

this guy has been stealing money since the day he stopped holding out for more of it. if gholston was an UFA like westerman nobody would be critical of him. it's not even that he was the 6th pick of the draft, it's the $25M gauranteed that is so offensive.

The few times I actually saw him he was trying , in vain, to shed a blocker. :P

I think the biggest problem posters are having with him is the fact he doesn't have a sack in 18 games and only has 19 tackles. He was drafted number six overall so fans want to see him make big plays.

I agree. But he is doing his job. As a team we don't have many sacks. It's as if the opposing QBs are so afraid to get sacks that they're just throwing the ball away.

Not a bad alternative in my book, though a sack gets a loss of down and lost yardage.

You guys sound like a bunch of apologists. Gholston was brought here to be Terrell Suggs, Shawn Merriman, and he's nowhere near that level and you want to celebrate the fact that he, what, gets blocked well? That he stands up the tight end? That he "hustles"? Come on now.

If you took that analysis and replaced the word Gholston with the word Trusnik, then you have reason to be encouraged. But you don't draft guys at #6 overall to be a part-time OLB who gets replaced on passing downs. I hope Gholston develops as well, but it's painfully obvious that he's, at best, an average to below-average NFL player. He is Dewayne Robertson, except he doesn't flash the one or two times per game like Robertson did. Let me know the next time a Left Tackle loses a second of sleep because of Gholston.

And now, back to being excited about the season...

Is it coming out of your ****ing pocket? NO!!!

Then STFU.

Kleck I will defer to you and admit that he did play DE on a decent portion of the plays in some exotic fronts and a few of them had him backing into coverage some had him occupying blockers. Thats all well and good. Im sure Rex had him in those situations because of his strength. So rather than having big guys occupying O-Linman and having Vernon Rush the passer we are now quite happy with his current role at which he has shown Improvement .

All that being said this guy was drafted to rush the passer as either an OLB in the 3-4 or lined up as a DE in a 4-3 alignment. When he is in these situations he does not produce. Im sorry but if you guys are content saying Vernon did his job by occupying blockers thats fine just give me a call when he starts making plays. Hes NOT a 310 pound DE drafted to do what you guys are so proud of him for he was drafted to get to the QB and from what I see in the Original Post, Rex has no faith in this kid rushing the passer and hes using his strength up front.

If you guys are happy with a $50 million 3-4 hybrid DE who cant get to the QB or Make many tackles or do much of anything other than occupying O-Lineman more power to ya.

At this point maybe he should put on 30 pounds and attempt to play DE in the 3-4 at that point Ill say ive seen some improvement.

Kleck I will defer to you and admit that he did play DE on a decent portion of the plays in some exotic fronts and a few of them had him backing into coverage some had him occupying blockers. Thats all well and good. Im sure Rex had him in those situations because of his strength. So rather than having big guys occupying O-Linman and having Vernon Rush the passer we are now quite happy with his current role at which he has shown Improvement .

All that being said this guy was drafted to rush the passer as either an OLB in the 3-4 or lined up as a DE in a 4-3 alignment. When he is in these situations he does not produce. Im sorry but if you guys are content saying Vernon did his job by occupying blockers thats fine just give me a call when he starts making plays. Hes NOT a 310 pound DE drafted to do what you guys are so proud of him for he was drafted to get to the QB and from what I see in the Original Post, Rex has no faith in this kid rushing the passer and hes using his strength up front.

If you guys are happy with a $50 million 3-4 hybrid DE who cant get to the QB or Make many tackles or do much of anything other than occupying O-Lineman more power to ya.

At this point maybe he should put on 30 pounds and attempt to play DE in the 3-4 at that point Ill say ive seen some improvement.

Players are drafted for reasons and you end up getting something completely different from them all the time. Brandon Moore was draft to play DL.

And again, nobody is saying that VG is playing up to his draft status or his contract. All we've been saying, and clearly this article supports us, is that Vernon is playing well and being used in numerous fashions. (this is literally the 20th time I've typed this).

Why is it not o.k. with you that he is improving? Thats what you want to see at this point. You cant expect a guy that couldnt even get on the field last season to all of a sudden become Suggs overnight. He is improving, and who knows, if he keeps up his improvement, maybe he will start adding the pass rushing element he clearly lacks right now besides a straight bull rush.

I really dont get why this is unacceptable. Its not his fault the Jets drafted him 6th overall with glaring issues and then paid the man in full. Most of knew about his limitations, but it happened and all you can ask for at this point is improvement.

Props to VG for never seeing the field last season but being able to come in and contribute to a top 3 defense and an undefeated team. He's clearly not Pace, but we needed him to set up and contribute and he has, good for him.

You guys came out saying he doesnt even deserve to be on a roster, but then you get a play by play breakdown of the success he's had and you jackasses still cant admit that you had no clue what you were watching on Sunday or you were just mistaken in your analysis. Its sad and makes you guys look silly because myself and about 6 others have been saying exactly what this article supports for the last 48hrs.

Every financial mistake is one more reason for Woody Johnson to keep raising ticket prices. Be very concerned about the play of one Vernon Gholston.

Actually you're wrong. You're very wrong. The NFL currently has a salary cap and the Jets spend to the cap every year. They would spending this money on someone else if they weren't spending on Vernon Gholston.

It has little effect on ticket prices. Ticket prices will increase as long as the market will bear it.

Nobody is arguing that he is playing up to his contract or draft position. Nobody is "happy" about his play, except that he is giving more than some thought he could. OTOH, he is contributing and not being destroyed on every play. I wouldn't even argue that he is playing well, but he's doing OK and even JAGs have a place in the NFL. He is also starting to show some flashes and it is possible that sooner or later he will get it.

Ok JIF Gholston will now be known as the occupier > I will never call him The Ghost again. When His contract is up we will pay him more dollars to occupy .

THE OCCUPIER right up there with such terms as the COMPILER except COMPILERS actully contribute.

JIF Im thrilled Vernon is doing his job Im thrilled to death.

Also dont call people Jackasses. When a player is signed at a high profile position to rush the passer you cant be happy with him improving at things totally irrelevant to that. I would certainly like to see more than 2 pressures in 3 games. Sorry but I think this arguement is a waste of our time. Like I said When Pace gets back Vernon gets the Bench. If he played 30 plays this week he will be lucky to get 15 when Pace returnes, very lucky

Actually you're wrong. You're very wrong. The NFL currently has a salary cap and the Jets spend to the cap every year. They would spending this money on someone else if they weren't spending on Vernon Gholston.

It has little effect on ticket prices. Ticket prices will increase as long as the market will bear it.

The $25 million signing bonus that's his to keep does NOT go against the cap, so that's definitely a flawed statement.

And the fact is, we DIDN'T spend the money "somewhere else". We spent the $25 million on a possible bust. That's money we could have saved by trading down to a lower-cost draft slot and use for one of the many contract extensions we will need to be able to afford someday.

Every failed investment costs the team, and this one could cost us big-time if we don't get return on it.

The $25 million signing bonus that's his to keep does NOT go against the cap, so that's definitely a flawed statement.

And the fact is, we DIDN'T spend the money "somewhere else". We spent the $25 million on a possible bust. That's money we could have saved by trading down to a lower-cost draft slot and use for one of the many contract extensions we will need to be able to afford someday.

Every failed investment costs the team, and this one could cost us big-time if we don't get return on it.

Where the hell did you get that from? Of course the signing bonus counts against the cap. If it didn't players would be getting nothing but signing bonuses just to circumvent the cap.

The signing bonus absolutely counts against the cap. It gets prorated over the life of the contract.

Oh, and every pick is a possible bust. There are no guarantees in life. Peyton Manning only comes along once in a lifetime and only one team's fanbase was lucky enough that their team was terrible during his senior year.

Archived