Raiders set to release Russell

jetscanes331

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Archive The Oakland Raiders are preparing to release quarterback JaMarcus Russell but have to await the final word from owner Al Davis before they can do so, according to sources.

10446.jpg

Russell

Russell is on the books for $9.45 million this season, including $3 million in guaranteed money. Since trading for former Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell on Saturday, the Raiders have studied Russell's contract and tried to figure out ways to release him to save the organization some money.

If he gets the $3 million (and sources expect that he will), Russell will have been paid $39 million since going to the team as a first-round pick in 2007.

The Raiders have a minicamp Friday and it's possible Russell could be released before then. If Davis doesn't give the go-ahead to release him before Friday, he might attend the minicamp, but the team might not let him practice, fearing that he would suffer an injury and leave the team liable for the entire $9.45 million in salary.

Think he lands anywhere?

If they do cut him he will land somewhere as a #2/3. Maybe here. You never know with Rex and the Jets recent love for projects.

Only a team desperate for a QB this season would pick him up, and only on the cheap. Maybe the Vikings pick him up for depth in case Favre doesn't sign.

I would not be surprised if he's out of the league this year though.

Anyway... Anyone know what happened to Al Davis this offseason, and why he hasnt been in control of football operations? They're having a rather productive offseason out there.

Somebody forgot to change his diapey so his dog buried him in the backyard. Shiit happens.

I honestly don't think he cares. Maybe the recession has made him think twice, but if he invested wisely he still probably doesn't care. It was apparent to me from day 1 that this guy really couldn't care less after he got his money. I personally think he's probably been wondering how he still has a job all this time.

I honestly don't think he cares. Maybe the recession has made him think twice, but if he invested wisely he still probably doesn't care. It was apparent to me from day 1 that this guy really couldn't care less after he got his money. I personally think he's probably been wondering how he still has a job all this time.

"Jamarcus, who do you want to be drafted by?"

"Whoever pays me the most"

If Jamarcus Russel Tried out for DE he would have the edge on Vernone.

Vernon just sucks. He seems to try. It's not like he ever shows up out of shape.

Russell ripped off the Raiders and the NFL. He'll be the poster boy for Goodell's rookie pay scale, Vernon will just be another example cited.

Vernon just sucks. He seems to try. It's not like he ever shows up out of shape.

Russell ripped off the Raiders and the NFL. He'll be the poster boy for Goodell's rookie pay scale, Vernon will just be another example cited.

You can't blame Russell where he was drafted though. However I agree something has to be done with rookie contracts, it's really crazy.

You can't blame Russell where he was drafted though. However I agree something has to be done with rookie contracts, it's really crazy.

Why? Nobody is putting a gun to the owner's heads. They generally lock players in but can cut them whenever they want. Owners make a ton of money too, it's not like they're hurting.

I'm against any sort of rookie salary cap. Only the top few picks get paid big money anyway, and usually only the QBs. If the player pans out, it winds up becoming a bargain anyway, putting that rookie salary cap in only further ****s the players over. They can already be cut at any time, now you want a top prospect to get paid less and then be forced to play under that rookie contract after breaking out?

The only way I'd go for that is if after the 1st year the rookie gets an option to become a restricted free agent, and after the second year has an option to become an unrestricted free agent. Remember the owners can cut whenever the hell they want, so this is just being fair. The owners of course won't go for this, because they have zero interest in it being "fair" at all, they just want to further screw over the players under the guise of fairness. It's nothing but greed though, don't be fooled.

It would be awesome if contracts worked the same on both sides, and a player could just quit a team whenever he wants. Maybe just make him give back a portion of the signing bonus for quitting, but in real life it never works that way either, when you get a signing bonus generally you still can quit and never have to give it back. Most people don't get signing bonuses though.

I'm against any sort of rookie salary cap. Only the top few picks get paid big money anyway, and usually only the QBs. If the player pans out, it winds up becoming a bargain anyway, putting that rookie salary cap in only further ****s the players over. They can already be cut at any time, now you want a top prospect to get paid less and then be forced to play under that rookie contract after breaking out?

Given how short an NFL player's athletic career usually is (depending on the position), I tend to agree with this.

"nlike those if us who have to plan for 20 to 30 years in retirement, NFL players have to plan for more than half a century. On average, an NFL player's career lasts about three years. Although most players end up with others job, they rarely match their earnings from football."

Archived