Worse WR mistake

Obrien2Toon

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the bigger mistake?

• Letting Braylon get signed for 1 mil a year (signing Plax)
    • Letting part of your heart and soul in Cotch go ( signing a washed up Mason)
    • Neither I'm a Jet homer and think Plax/Mason is better than Edwards/Cotch

I'm going to go with Braylon, because him signing for 1 M is just ridiculous.

But they both hurt.

How can you blame the Jets front office for Braylon selecting another team? I'm PRETTY SURE the Jets offered Braylon more than "1 million". Braylon was upset that we signed Holmes and went after Aso before getting Braylon Edwards locked up long term. That's Baylon being both jealous and selfish at the same time. At the end of the day, Braylon no longer wanted to be a Jet. If Braylon wanted to play for the Jets... He'd be a Jet, because our offer was worth much more than the offer of the 49ers. Good luck in San Fran Edwards... You hated your time with the Browns? Good, because I hope to see you never make the playoffs again.

How can you blame the Jets front office for Braylon selecting another team? I'm PRETTY SURE the Jets offered Braylon more than "1 million". Braylon was upset that we signed Holmes and went after Aso before getting Braylon Edwards locked up long term. That's Baylon being both jealous and selfish at the same time. At the end of the day, Braylon no longer wanted to be a Jet. If Braylon wanted to play for the Jets... He'd be a Jet, because our offer was worth much more than the offer of the 49ers. Good luck in San Fran Edwards... You hated your time with the Browns? Good, because I hope to see you never make the playoffs again.

Braylon openly stated he wanted to be a jet, went to the jets and offered to give a Rex discount, and he was released and not re-signed. You're pretty sure they offered more than a mil, but considering they offered the longest tenured jet, Shaun Ellis, less than a million, I'd say your assumetion that Braylon wanted out is pretty much a wild and hopeful guess.

Braylon openly stated he wanted to be a jet, went to the jets and offered to give a Rex discount, and he was released and not re-signed. You're pretty sure they offered more than a mil, but considering they offered the longest tenured jet, Shaun Ellis, less than a million, I'd say your assumetion that Braylon wanted out is pretty much a wild and hopeful guess.

This post is so incorrect I don't know where to start.

Braylon did openly state he wanted to be a Jet - before the lockout was lifted and before the Jets signed Holmes.

Braylon was not "released." He was an unrestricted free agent whose contract had expired, meaning the second free agency started he was free to field offers from any team.

The Jets absolutely offered more than a non-guaranteed 1-year contract. When the Jets made it clear that they valued Holmes, Braylon got butt hurt and wanted the Jets to give him a similar contract or see if he could get a similar deal elsewhere.

The fact that they offered Shaun Ellis the vet minimum has absolutely no bearing or consequence where Braylon Edwards is concerned. Ellis is a 34-year-old, 12-year veteran who is likely to only play one more year whether it is with the Jets or somewhere else. Edwards is a 27-year-old all-world talent at WR. The notion that they offered him the same as Ellis is ludicrous. If the Jets made even a one-year offer to Edwards, I'd say its a safe bet it would have been for more that 1 million and there would have been some guaranteed money to keep him happy and quiet.

What I think some people seem to be missing is that it is pretty clear there is something going on with Edwards that none of us know about. Edwards was an unrestricted free agent for close to a week before his cousins got into the bar fight in Michigan. Up until that time, receivers were being signed all over the place and Braylon was not getting any significant offers from any team.

I think Braylon overestimated his value and I think he may just be a major locker room headache. There were rumblings in Cleveland that he was the most disliked person on the team and several weeks ago, just before free agency started there was a story in one of the NY papers that didn't gain any traction about how Edwards made Holmes and others "uncomfortable."

I think it may just be that Edwards is a world-class a$$hole with a heavy drinking problem and that no one in the NFL wanted to risk any serious money on him.

biggest issue i have is we are getting old at the position you need the most speed in WR. so next year we have holmes and kerley and nothing else at wr?

By the same standards we came into this year with nothing at all at WR. Next year, the team will actually be in better shape at the position.

I'm going to go with Braylon, because him signing for 1 M is just ridiculous.

How ridiculous is it when 31 other NFL teams didn't think he was even worth that? Feel free to love the guy all you want, but this extremely talented player was shunned by the entire league. There's probably a reason for that. Maybe even a good one.

It's hard to choose which was the bigger mistake. As far as on the field production, clearly losing Braylon will hurt us more. Yet you cannot quantify leadership and work ethic, and that is what Jerricho gave you. Ultimately, I'm saying the bigger mistake was Jerricho.

biggest issue i have is we are getting old at the position you need the most speed in WR. so next year we have holmes and kerley and nothing else at wr?

Exactly... there is your problem. I don't know why no one else besides us see this... it's not that confusing.

It's hard to choose which was the bigger mistake. As far as on the field production, clearly losing Braylon will hurt us more. Yet you cannot quantify leadership and work ethic, and that is what Jerricho gave you. Ultimately, I'm saying the bigger mistake was Jerricho.

You probably thought the Yankees made a good move sticking with Posada. Better you dump them a year too early than a year too late. Especially with bad backs.

I actually think it's an advantage to have these guys signed to 1 year deals. We're not locked up and can make a move if there is a huge FA available like Asomugha this year or maybe Ngata next. If these guys are good we have the inside track on signing them again and if they sign elsewhere (assuming the rules are the same or similar) we will probably get compensatory picks.

Not that at all.. just that we have very little left at WR next year.

I don't care about next year yet. This year hasn't started.

Oh, and there will be a free agency period starting next March and a draft in April, both of which can be used to address the WR position - there really is no rule against that, I promise.

Yes, because Jerricho Cotchery was lightning fast. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: here we go! Now Cotch sucks too. If we dumped Revis he'd be overrated and annoying and blah blah blah! Seriously Kleck...and it ain't just you, but every time we release, don't sign/retain a player...somebody has to state that they sucked anyway. Agree that Braylon is an idiot and probably a drunk. But he can ball. Can we just agree taht Braylon was a big asset, as was Cotchery? Or do they have to be dogsh*t just because they'll be somewhere else this season?

:lol: :lol: here we go! Now Cotch sucks too. If we dumped Revis he'd be overrated and annoying and blah blah blah! Seriously Kleck...and it ain't just you, but every time we release, don't sign/retain a player...somebody has to state that they sucked anyway. Agree that Braylon is an idiot and probably a drunk. But he can ball. Can we just agree taht Braylon was a big asset, as was Cotchery? Or do they have to be dogsh*t just because they'll be somewhere else this season?

Dude, all I did was point out the fact that Jerricho isn't the fastest guy in the world.

A great point... But I think it offsets how much we over rate players while they are here.

I find it funny, how in this poll, the thread creater listed "signing a washed up Mason" as an option.

If that's the case and Mason is washed up, what's that say about Cotchery himself? That the career of Jerricho Cotchery is over and done with? Because lets be honest here... As I've stated in another thread, Cotchery was placed on the physically unable to perform list by team doctors due to an offseason back surgery trying to correct a herniated disk. Also, if Mason is "washed up", then please explain why over the past 3 years Mason has 214 receptions, 2,867 receiving yards, 19 TD's and 159 first downs compared to Cotchery who's only put up 169 receptions, 2,112 yards, 10 TD's and 113 first downs during that same 3 year span.

Also, if Cotchery is a better WR than Mason, why is it that, since dating back to 2007, over the past 4 years... Mason has finished the season with much better numbers when compared to Jerricho? 2007, 2008, 2009 and last year... From catches and yards to TD's and first downs... Mason's numbers have dominated Cotchery's numbers with every statistical category known to mankind, but yet... Mason is the WR who's "washed up"?

People, back away from the ledge. Three bottom line about our wr moves is that we may have a significantly better group this year than last. Not only are mason and burress better than edwards and cotchery if each play arty the level they did the last time they were on a football field, but we appear to have a 4th wr who can actually play wr. (as good as smith was as a swiss army knife, he was useless as a wr)

Our floor is significantly lower, too - if burress is rusty and mason breaks down we're in serious trouble - but ignoring the upside is myopic

I find it funny, how in this poll, the thread creater listed "signing a washed up Mason" as an option.

If that's the case and Mason is washed up, what's that say about Cotchery himself? That the career of Jerricho Cotchery is over and done with? Because lets be honest here... As I've stated in another thread, Cotchery was placed on the physically unable to perform list by team doctors due to an offseason back surgery trying to correct a herniated disk. Also, if Mason is "washed up", then please explain why over the past 3 years Mason has 214 receptions, 2,867 receiving yards, 19 TD's and 159 first downs compared to Cotchery who's only put up 169 receptions, 2,112 yards, 10 TD's and 113 first downs during that same 3 year span.

Also, if Cotchery is a better WR than Mason, why is it that, since dating back to 2007, over the past 4 years... Mason has finished the season with much better numbers when compared to Jerricho? 2007, 2008, 2009 and last year... From catches and yards to TD's and first downs... Mason's numbers have dominated Cotchery's numbers with every statistical category known to mankind, but yet... Mason is the WR who's "washed up"?

good points.

Basically because of age, and most of Mason's past years stats are inflated because he was their only real option at WR.

Look at Cotchery's 07' season as an example. He was incredible. Now is he really that good, no. But he was the team's only option at that time.

Archived