Derrick Mason, and the people who should be on the field before him

slats

I was not pleased with Derrick Mason last night. I don't know if it's because he's old or not, but he did not look good out there at all. Maybe more time with the offense will help, or maybe he's had too much time already.

You had to love Cumberland's catch. I think more Cumberland is exactly what this offense needs. Sanchez needs big targets in front of him. Running more two-TE sets will give that to him. I think Keller gets way too much hate around here, and I don't want to see him replaced, but Cumberland looked good in the preseason and again last night. I think I'd bring him on the field in most instances when I was thinking about 3-WR's.

If Mason continues to look old in the future, they're going to have to start working Kerley in more. They loved him in camp, they're going to need to find out what he can do from the WR position in the regular season. Frankly, he was shaky there in the preseason. Notable from last night? No wildcat.

Mason is going to be little more than a guy who finds an opening in the zone, turns and makes the catch. You could do far worse for a 4th or 5th option for Sanchez. I think he'll be productive for us but last night he did indeed look awful.

Overall our receiving corps looks much improved from last year. The increased use of 2-TE sets will keep Mason off the field. I completely agree with the idea of giving Sanchez big-bodied targets, meaning that the more we see of Plax, Keller and Cumberland, the better. Plax might end up playing a bigger role for us this season than even Santonio Holmes if last night was any indicator.

Mason had that play where he could have gone up and got the ball and instead let it sail over him... barley leaving his feet if at all.. frustrating... he also bitched and whined a few times at/about Sanchez it seemed not picking up the blitz right.

Mason is going to be little more than a guy who finds an opening in the zone, turns and makes the catch. You could do far worse for a 4th or 5th option for Sanchez. I think he'll be productive for us but last night he did indeed look awful.

Overall our receiving corps looks much improved from last year. The increased use of 2-TE sets will keep Mason off the field. I completely agree with the idea of giving Sanchez big-bodied targets, meaning that the more we see of Plax, Keller and Cumberland, the better. Plax might end up playing a bigger role for us this season than even Santonio Holmes if last night was any indicator.

I'm not quite there yet. Plaxico looks like he can be the real deal. They just need to tape his ankles like a boxer's fists before every game. I'm not ready to say that Mason looked better than Cotchery, though. Maybe the Cotchery from last year, but not Cotch in general.

The big plus -outside of Plax- is Cumberland. Definitely want to see a lot more 2-TE sets. Cumberland and McKnight on the field instead of Mason and Greene. That would be an unpredictable and potentially dangerous offense.

I am not ready to write off Mason after one game, but if he does not improve I hope the coaches are not intimidated with a star vet and afraid to make a change.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'll give him a chance to get up to speed with the new offense/QB. If it doesn't start clicking quickly, though, they need to go with some of their other, younger, options: Cumberland, Kerley, and McKnight.

Logan Payne might even play some offense when he comes back.

I am not ready to write off Mason after one game, but if he does not improve I hope the coaches are not intimidated with a star vet and afraid to make a change.

He looks shot. After making a catch his reflexes (or lack thereof) cause him hesitate and get tackled easily.

Kerley will be playing soon.

Mason hardly played during the preseason and when he did he looked very good. They had a couple of miscues. One where he lost his footing and at least one where he and Sanchez weren't in synch and the throw didn't go where he ran. I think you guys are overreacting in a huge way. I like Cumberland and I've been talking him up since last season's camp. OTOH, two TE sets with two TEs that can't block is not something I expect to see constantly.

Got love being a Jets fan. We start threads furious about our 4th, maybe 5th option...meanwhile, half the league is still figuring out who their #1 is, let alone their #2.

Like everyone else, I loathe being a Jet fan.

Sanchez hit seven receivers last night, one to Cumberland and none to Kerley. Mason was the fifth guy with three catches, but he was targeted more than that and ineffective. He failed to do the things a veteran's supposed to do on pure instinct - like attack the ball, and know where the first down marker is. If Holmes or Plax gets hurt, it's Mason who immediately gets promoted to the starting line-up. From what I've seen so far, the Jets need to cultivate some other options on the JIC.

Sanchez hit seven receivers last night, one to Cumberland and none to Kerley. Mason was the fifth guy with three catches, but he was targeted more than that and ineffective. He failed to do the things a veteran's supposed to do on pure instinct - like attack the ball, and know where the first down marker is. If Holmes or Plax gets hurt, it's Mason who immediately gets promoted to the starting line-up. From what I've seen so far, the Jets need to cultivate some other options on the JIC.

I'm pretty sure he'll be fine. It was one game.

Either way, even if he does become a #2. He's still the 3rd or 4th option. Say Plax went out, Holmes, Keller, LT than Mason. Mainly because Sanchez cant see past his 2nd progression which is typically Holmes than Keller with LT as his binky out of the backfield.

In regards to Cumberland - I like this guy a lot. Kerley I'm still high on too. Think he'll be a player.

I think the Jets are fortunate they have a ton of receiving options.

I personally felt that Mason was having a problem with the turf. I saw a number of Cowboys slip (Jones slipped at least twice, Romo once, Bryant at least once) and I though Sanchez slipped too on a throw, but that may have been to try to avoid being decapitated by whomever lined up against Hunter. The turf at the stadium was a problem early in the year last season and maybe it will take Mason a few games to adjust.

Mason had that play where he could have gone up and got the ball and instead let it sail over him... barley leaving his feet if at all.. frustrating... he also bitched and whined a few times at/about Sanchez it seemed not picking up the blitz right.

Yep actually I think it was twice he seemed to lose his feet from underneath him. One on a 3rd down in the end zone and one I think in the 4th qt? on a pretty big play in the middle of the field. Compound that with the fact he is a sh*tty teammate and not known to be a good dude...hopefully Cumberland and Kerley can become a bigger part of the offense.

Cumberland should definitely see more time on the field.

Mason looked a little shell shocked, like the moment was too big for them. That happens to very young players and very old players. The young because it has never happened before and the old because they know they won't get many more chances.

I don't trust Kerley. His muffed punt scared me. I'd like to see more, though.

LT is in the perfect roll on 3rd down.

I was not pleased with Derrick Mason last night. I don't know if it's because he's old or not, but he did not look good out there at all. Maybe more time with the offense will help, or maybe he's had too much time already.

You had to love Cumberland's catch. I think more Cumberland is exactly what this offense needs. Sanchez needs big targets in front of him. Running more two-TE sets will give that to him. I think Keller gets way too much hate around here, and I don't want to see him replaced, but Cumberland looked good in the preseason and again last night. I think I'd bring him on the field in most instances when I was thinking about 3-WR's.

If Mason continues to look old in the future, they're going to have to start working Kerley in more. They loved him in camp, they're going to need to find out what he can do from the WR position in the regular season. Frankly, he was shaky there in the preseason. Notable from last night? No wildcat.

You told me he wasn't going to be a problem. Liar.

Agree 100%. Mason had a catch where he had a first down had he cut up field for one measily extra yard yet didnt have the boost to get it. That turned me off considering Cotchery was so good after the catch. We easily down graded at wr this year :( As for Cumberland and Kerley, more of them would be fantastic, I agree. Cumberland is like a faster version of Chris Baker, one of my old personal favorite Jets.

I vote signing Patrick turner back to the active roster. He seems to have more upside than does Mason at this point in his career.

Based on the inputs i have received i thought Mason was going to be just fine. Age is just a number and his record last year was impressive!

Last night Mason looked awful for three reasons.

One he did not look to be on the same page as Sanchez. Which can be corrected as the season goes on.

Secondly he had some issues staying on his feet. Could be turf issues and maybe that's sorted out as the season goes on.

But the most worrying thing being on some plays he clearly was looked out of depth, slow with his hands on certain plays. The endzone gimme catch, the almost INT on the last drive where he just lay there without looking to prevent the DB from going for the ball. If this is sign of age not sure he can get any better than that. The way he played he was a liability to this offense.

This is the key. I'm not giving up on him yet. He's still a wily veteran who should find the soft spots in important spots. But if he is finished like he looked yesterday, then I hope Rex's loyalty to him doesn't get in the way.

The biggest play of the game was ALMOST that 10 yd hitch where he fell down on the last drive.

Also his roster spot could've easily been Braylon's. Imagine Holmes/Plax/Edwards/keller. Even Schotty couldn't mess that up.

Mason is probably still feeling effects from his sprain. On one back shoulder pass he just could not keep his footing which almost caused an INT. I think the guy is probably playing hurt TBH

Who I'd like to see out there instead of Mason:

Kerley, Cumberland, McKnight.

The two TE set would be pretty great. I would love to see more of that. Great way to spread out the defense.

Turner ....Big target :) good redzone threat because of his size. Every time I see the Kid he makes catches not sure why he never gets a shot.

Turner ....Big target :) good redzone threat because of his size. Every time I see the Kid he makes catches not sure why he never gets a shot.

+1...factor in he and Sanchez's chemistry dating back to USC and its a no brainer. Tall slot wr's can be killer.

+1...factor in he and Sanchez's chemistry dating back to USC and its a no brainer. Tall slot wr's can be killer.

yeah its a real mystery. The jets always seem married to their Picks or they feel they have to give Mason his fair chance which is understandable ( I think the guy is hurt) But Turner made some plays and seemed like he was catching on. he certainly showed more than Kerley and Kerley is no ST demon which is evident with Cromartie returning kicks. Weird stuff .

yeah its a real mystery. The jets always seem married to their Picks or they feel they have to give Mason his fair chance which is understandable ( I think the guy is hurt) But Turner made some plays and seemed like he was catching on. he certainly showed more than Kerley and Kerley is no ST demon which is evident with Cromartie returning kicks. Weird stuff .

Yeah Turner made me a believer catching McElroy's wounded ducks for six in the preseason. Sanchez could make him a legit target on 3rd and 5.

Mason still looks quick, at his age that would be my biggest concern. He is definitely not on the same page as Sanchez yet, neither is Plax actually. Hopefully they can keep hanging on and winning games while they work out the kinks.

Mason still looks quick, at his age that would be my biggest concern. He is definitely not on the same page as Sanchez yet, neither is Plax actually. Hopefully they can keep hanging on and winning games while they work out the kinks.

You would think that with all the OTA's, off season workouts, minicamps and pre-season games that they would be on the same page by now.

Archived