Jets Interested In Moss?

JetNation

Post image for Jets Interested In Moss?

Wide Receiver Randy Moss informed the NFL world today that he intends to come out of retirement and of many teams who could possibly be interested in his services, Jason Cole of Yahoo! reports that the Jets may be one of them.

Yes, the New England Patriots could use Moss in a serious way. In addition, according to a source close to Moss, the Philadelphia Eagles and
the New York Jets are at least curious
and the San Francisco 49ers could look to fill a hole if they let go of Josh Morgan in free agency.

Moss announced his retirement following the 2010 NFL season where he spent time with the New England Patriots, Minnesota Vikings and Tennessee Titans.  While the Jets should be looking this offseason for a receiver who can stretch the field, bringing in a 35 year old Moss would not be a smart move.  Moss has had character issues, save for a few seasons in New England, and adding him to a locker room which was a complete mess during the 2011 season would surely be a recipe for disaster.  Add to that the fact that his best years are behind him and this should be a no brainer.

The Jets need a young, tall, deep threat to help the passing game. Whether they find one in the draft or attempt to sign one to a reasonable contract during Free Agency remains to be seen, but the front office should just say “NO” when it comes to Moss.

di
di

JkLQHdBh_ng

View the full article

Do not want. Our biggest problem on offense last year, aside from protecting the QB, was our inability to stretch the defense with the long ball...Moss was washed up slow two years ago, and now after a year of not playing football he is all of a sudden going to be able to get down field like it is 2007 again? No chance. He is a cancer in the locker room, he still doesn't run terrific routes. This ship hopefully has set sail, or else we are looking at Plaxico 2.0 with more locker room drama...

If the Jets sign Moss to add to Holmes, SOMEBODY has to get a microphone into the huddle wherein Sanchez finally has the nervous breakdown. Week Two, tops. Hide the sharp objects.

Maybe this is Tannenbaum's strategy all along. Surround Sanchez with sociopaths, make him cry, and quit football forever.

why would Moss want to play with the Jets? serious question.

even if Sanchez turns it on, they are still a G&P team who won't throw him the ball enough.

The best way to go run-heavy is to combine it with a vertical passing attack. Sanchez seems to be at his "best" (relative term) when running play-action and throwing over a receiver's outside shoulder on a go route. If Moss has anything left this is what he could provide.

However, I don't think this happens nor do I really want it to.

JETS keeping Holmes this season was making one mistake on top of the first one. The first mistake being competing against themselves to give Holmes a huge contract with no good behavior clauses in the deal.

The JETS can sign Moss if the contract is laden with good behavior and performance based incentives. It will a much better move than signing Plax last season.

JETS keeping Holmes this season was making one mistake on top of the first one. The first mistake being competing against themselves to give Holmes a huge contract with no good behavior clauses in the deal.

Not saying we didn't overpay him, but do you really think there wasn't a market for Holmes, a 27-year old with a Super Bowl MVP on his resume?

Not saying we didn't overpay him, but do you really think there wasn't a market for Holmes, a 27-year old with a Super Bowl MVP on his resume?

Agreed. He was considered the NFL's premiere free agent WR on the market when we signed him. We may have overpaid in terms of his value to the team (which I think we did), but I don't know that we overpaid relative to his value on the open market in July.

If someone else was willing to give Brad Smith $4M/year, there would have been someone else offering up $8-10M/year to Santonio Holmes.

So who was waiting in line ?

As Sperm said, he was considered the # 1 receiver on the market. He would have been paid handsomely by someone if we didn't lock him up early in the offseason. There were rumors on ESPN that the Redskins were strongly interested in Holmes, for instance.

The burden of proof is on you since you made the claim we "competed against ourselves".

As Sperm said, he was considered the # 1 receiver on the market. He would have been paid handsomely by someone if we didn't lock him up early in the offseason. There were rumors on ESPN that the Redskins were strongly interested in Holmes, for instance.

The burden of proof is on you since you made the claim we "competed against ourselves".

He was also considered the #1 doobie afficiando in the free agent market!

We were waiting on Aso to make up his mind for quite a few days. Thats a few days we waited in a compressed free agency period. And there was no real noise of any team pursuing him agrressively. Because if any team had Holmes would be a goner while the JETS were still waiting to see if Aso would grace the organization with his on field presence!

We were waiting on Aso to make up his mind for quite a few days. Thats a few days we waited in a compressed free agency period. And there was no real noise of any team pursuing him agrressively. Because if any team had Holmes would be a goner while the JETS were still waiting to see if Aso would grace the organization with his on field presence!

Dude. Holmes was signed to his extension July 27th. Aso signed with the Eagles on the 30th.

Dude. Holmes was signed to his extension July 27th. Aso signed with the Eagles on the 30th.

Not the way i remember it. But i could be wrong. Off late those memory cells are not as great as in my prime! :)

But the point still stands. I do not remember (?) a lot of teams trying to line up for Holmes services. So correct me if i am wrong.

Not the way i remember it. But i could be wrong. Off late those memory cells are not as great as in my prime! :)

But the point still stands. I do not remember (?) a lot of teams trying to line up for Holmes services. So correct me if i am wrong.

Again, that's because we signed him before he could hit the open market. That doesn't mean teams weren't interested in him had he done so.

Archived