Joe Montana says Mark Sanchez is better than Tim Tebow 'and that's it'

F.Chowds

Mark Sanchez is entering unfamiliar and dangerous territory: The dreaded quarterback controversy.

He brought it on himself. If he played better last season, Tim would be Tebowing somewhere else.

Basically, the Jets have put Sanchez is an impossible situation by bringing in the NFL’s jersey-selling machine. Tebow will start off in the Wildcat but he didn’t come here to watch Sanchez play. He wants his job.

Joe Montana, who had to fight off Steve Young in San Francisco in a bitter QB controversy between two future Hall of Famers, says it’s not difficult to operate in that kind of climate. Montana won two Super Bowls before Young arrived in 1987 and two more with Young pressuring him from behind.

By the time Young showed up, Montana was already Joe Cool. He was mentally tough. Sanchez is fragile.

But Montana endorsed Sanchez as the Jets’ starting quarterback.

“Mark is a better player right now and that’s it,” he said in an email to the Daily News. “As long as Mark believes in himself and plays, it’s not an issue. It’s more of an issue for those of you who write, or blog or tweet and all the other methods of delivering content.”

There is a way for Tebow’s arrival to work to Sanchez’s advantage. His teammates could feel he’s been wronged by the Jets brinigng in a novelty quarterback who can’t throw, and in a strange way, it could prompt them to rally around Sanchez. He ended the season with dwindling support in the locker room and in a nasty battle with

wide receiver Santonio Holmes. But if Holmes was unhappy with Sanchez’s inibility to get him the ball, then the receivers’ January meltdown will make him look like a team leader compared to how he will act the first time Tebow drills a ball into the ground 10 yards in front of him.

Sanchez can keep Tebow stuck on the bench and solidify his place as the Jets No. 1 quarterback by following The Six Easy Steps To Surviving An Already Explosive Quarterback Controversy.

Here’s all Sanchez has to do this season to put an end to Timsanity:

- Sabotage Tebow by secretly videotaping the contents of his Wildcat playbook and send it to you-know-who in Foxborough.

- Throw for 30 touchdowns and five interceptions.

- Lead the Jets to a 12-4 record, finish ahead of the hated Patriots, win the AFC East title and get a first-round playoff bye.

- Volunteer to work part-time in the ticket department to help sell

Woody Johnson’s remaining PSLs.

- Devise a signature touchdown celebration that will introduce Sanchizing and make Tebowing obsolete.

- Win the Super Bowl.

Here’s another way of saying it: Sanchez has got some problems.

The Jets sure have a strange way of showing Sanchez how much they love him. They chased after Peyton Manning — they had to give it a shot — but didn’t even make the cut as one of the five teams he granted an audience. As soon they knew Manning wanted no part of the circus, they finalized a contract extension they had been working on for Sanchez.

Sanchez recovered from the Manning threat just in time to get blindsided by Timsanity. The Jets did Sanchez a disservice by not providing legitimate competition for him his first three years. Kellen Clemens and Mark Brunell? Seriously.

And if they signed Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell to challenge him this summer it would have made sense without causing much noise. But Tebow is the last quarterback the Jets should have acquired if they still think Sanchez is their future. It’s foolish and counterproductive to subject him to Tebow’s cult following, the fans that haved watched Tebow from his days as a college football hero to the big stage of the NFL, where he wins games in unconventional, but somehow appealing ways while becoming a polarizing figure because of how big a part religion plays in his life.

The Jets have enabled and babied Sanchez and some big shots in the organization believe he’s still immature, which is a damning thing to say about a 25-year-old quarterback going into his fourth year. But sticking Tebow on him? What were they thinking?

As soon as Sanchez throws his first pick, the chants for Tebow are going to rattle around Sanchez’s helmet. He must let them go in one earhole and out the other. Those chants would not have happened had Orton been the backup, or Campbell or Drew Stanton, who sure did have a memorable one-week career with the Jets.

The crowds around Tebow at training camp in Cortland will be so big that, by comparison, Sanchez will look like the backup punter. Backup QBs are always the most popular players on the team, but in this case, the Jets backup is the most popular player in the league.

The Jets are going to be the only team in the NFL that will have to bring two quarterbacks into the interview room after every game. Maybe they can bring them in together and Sanchez can answer questions about the interceptions he throws in the conventional offense, and Tebow can talk about the pass he floated for a pick six in the Wildcat

Quarterback controversies have been going on forever. The great Tom Landry once alternated Roger Staubach and Craig Morton every play in a loss in Chicago in 1971. He settled on Staubach after the game and went on to win the Super Bowl. Phil Simms vs. Jeff Hostetler in 1991 was divisive. Montana vs. Young set the standard for venom. Montana despised Young. Young was publicly deferential to Joe Cool but he also had a burning desire to play that was not easy to hide.

“It was competitive,” Montana told me a couple of years ago. “It was just that he wanted what I had and I wanted to keep it.”

Tebow wants what Sanchez has and Sanchez wants to keep it.

As Garb and Troy Brown like to say "We have Bingo"

And if they signed Kyle Orton or Jason Campbell to challenge him this summer it would have made sense without causing much noise. But Tebow is the last quarterback the Jets should have acquired if they still think Sanchez is their future. It’s foolish and counterproductive to subject him to Tebow’s cult following, the fans that haved watched Tebow from his days as a college football hero to the big stage of the NFL, where he wins games in unconventional, but somehow appealing ways while becoming a polarizing figure because of how big a part religion plays in his life.

Only the Jets can be stupid enough to bring in the Church of Tebow.

Funny, seems as if 3 or 4 other teams were in the running for tebow....are all these teams stupid? Or could it be the media has changed your opinion of a good football move?

Funny, seems as if 3 or 4 other teams were in the running for tebow....are all these teams stupid? Or could it be the media has changed your opinion of a good football move?

reports were

miami

jax

and

packers !!!!!

the media narrative is already written, sanchez loses his job, then rex and tanny after that

they will resist anything that alters that

Funny I heard it was just the Jags what other teams are you talking about ?

I just don't see bringing in a media circus to an already dysfunctional football team as a good move, which is what Tebow is.

Don't get me wrong I think Tebow can play in the NFL; maybe not as a starting "elite QB" which is what we have all been screaming about for what seems like forever but he can play.

My biggest issue is media sh!tstorm this has brought on (AGAIN) and the impending QB controversy that could very well make the 2011 disaster look like Romper Room.

Here it is Sunday and we are reading about Tebow going to a Broadway show. Press conferences that make the Yankees bringing in CC, AJ and Tex look like small beans. For what ? A quote "Backup QB" who is going to run the Brad Smith package ?

I mean heck Brad Smith threw for like a zillion yards in college yet he will never get a shot even competing for a starting QB position.

Tebow this, and Tebow that. Tebow is getting media attention here like only the greats (Namath, Messier, Reggie, Ewing) would get yet he is the number two QB.

If the Jets had brought in a Jason Campbell, or made a deal for a Hassleback then this gets maybe what 1 day worth of coverage ? Most of us are happy because the Jets have brought in someone to push Sanchez.

Say what you want about how the media is a bunch of tools with agendas against the Jets but their words do carry an impact not only with fans but I think with teams as well.

I honestly believe that the first game the Jets lose we will start hearing the calls for Tebow from the fans, the media, and probably those dreaded "anonymous" sources.

How is that good for a team trying to bounce back a disaster of a 2011 season ?

Winning cures all. If the Jets are winning (and in some cases winning big) then this is a non-issue and it is what you say it is a good football move.

If the Jets struggle and lose a game or heaven forbid have a two game losing streak then all hell will be breaking loose with people screaming that the Jets should be starting Tebow.

The move has got some definite downsides to it like the media circus. But as far as Sanchez is concerned, I think it's the best thing that could have happened to him. He's had zero competition and zero threat. It's time for him to gut up and take control of this team and he's got to play his way into that role. If the pressure of TT nipping at his heels caves him in - he's not our guy anyway and better to know that sooner than later. The problem comes if Sanchez does cave in and doesn't cut it. I still don't know that TT has enough upside to be a promised land QB. But we're better off than we were at the end of the 2011 season with Brunell, a kid with cinderbricks for spikes, and no accelerant to make things happen.

As Garb and Troy Brown like to say "We have Bingo"

I thought this article was a pretty good read, but this paragraph you quoted would be the one I disagree with the most. I don't really see Tebow challenging directly for the starting job the way Campbell or Orton would've. The latter two guys have already demonstrated that they can put up better numbers than Mark. They'd be a real threat impressing with passing in the preseason in a way that Tebow won't. So while it may not've been the same boon to Max's site, I think the actual challenge to Sanchez's job would've been greater. Tebow has yet to demonstrate that he's an actual NFL QB. As of now, he's just a big, white, popular Ray Lucas.

But all the Tebow hype puts implied pressure on Sanchez. It's like he's in a QB controversey simulator. He has to fend off an imaginary threat. If he implodes in this situation, he is soft, and was never going to take it to the next step, anyway.

And if that happens, Rex can take his ground & punt offense to its logical extreme under Tim Tebow before being shown the door himself.

The move has got some definite downsides to it like the media circus. But as far as Sanchez is concerned, I think it's the best thing that could have happened to him.

I doubt it. The first time he goes three and out on offense, the chants of "Tebow!! Tebow!!" will rain down from the rafters. What's that going to do to Marks confidence?

Tebow as the starting QB for the NYJ?

Are you kidding me?

Cmon now really???

For Christ sakes (sorry Tim), In order for that to happen, Snachez would have to really really play poorly, fumbles, ints, pick 6's and just what are the odds of that ever happening.

Aside from Tebow throwing the ball like he's tossing a Nerf Vortex, I don't think there's anything Sanchez does that distinguishes himself as the clear-cut better player. What one thing does Sanchez do well? He sucks short and he sucks deep. He holds the ball like Willie Beamon if he runs and buckles under pressure 10 times out of 10 if he sticks in the pocket. He can't read a defense to save his life, locks on to his primary receiver every passing play, and and is an all-out moper when he screws up. Tebow sucks camel dicks but at least he provides some angle of a threat on offense and has balls.

Aside from Tebow throwing the ball like he's tossing a Nerf Vortex, I don't think there's anything Sanchez does that distinguishes himself as the clear-cut better player. What one thing does Sanchez do well? He sucks short and he sucks deep. He holds the ball like Willie Beamon if he runs and buckles under pressure 10 times out of 10 if he sticks in the pocket. He can't read a defense to save his life, locks on to his primary receiver every

passing play, and and is an all-out moper when he screws up. Tebow sucks camel dicks but at least he provides some angle of a threat on offense and has balls.

Top notch analysis, Mike Mayock should be worried :-)

I doubt it. The first time he goes three and out on offense, the chants of "Tebow!! Tebow!!" will rain down from the rafters. What's that going to do to Marks confidence?

Dude is entering his 4th year as a full-time starter. If he can't handle it by now, then he can go **** himself.

That my point too Billy - if Sanchez folds under Tebow chants - get 'm outta here

Archived