Percy

leonwash29

Incarcerated Bob@incarceratedbob

**UPDATED NFL RUMOR**Source: Jets are still pursuing Vikings WR Harvin & have made an initial offer (3rdRD Pick + Cond 5th) no response yet

yes you should believe him, he broke the dwight howard trade before anyone and has broken many more blockbusters before that one ... I think this price would be a steal given he was a 1st rounder and still plays with 1st round talent not to mention a great rapport with tebow and could specialize in the wildcat as he was at uf anndd be our pr/kr if mcknight starts to fumble again ... get this done!

Cimini just gave this some credence on ESPNRadio. He says it's "something to keep an eye on."

If that happens, 75% of the board will complain about Tanny giving away more draft picks and at the same time whine about not having enough playmakers on Offense. It's all Tanny's fault.

If that happens, 75% of the board will complain about Tanny giving away more draft picks and at the same time whine about not having enough playmakers on Offense. It's all Tanny's fault.

And 100% of the billo83's will complain about people complaining.

The Vikings have nothing at WR after Harvin. I'd think any trade would have to include a WR from their perspective.

It could not possibly be Holmes. Trading him would cost the Jets $11M against the cap, and then they'd have to come up for the money to pay Harvin after that. Ain't happening. From their unusual public complaints, they'd probably be happy to unload Kerley, though. Harvin would take his role in the slot, anyway.

That said, this is a bad idea.

The Vikings have nothing at WR after Harvin. I'd think any trade would have to include a WR from their perspective.

It could not possibly be Holmes. Trading him would cost the Jets $11M against the cap, and then they'd have to come up for the money to pay Harvin after that. Ain't happening. From their unusual public complaints, they'd probably be happy to unload Kerley, though. Harvin would take his role in the slot, anyway.

That said, this is a bad idea.

Minnesota is in full blow it up and rebuild mode so immediate parts dont really matter to them. Draft picks are what teams like that look for. Harvin will get them a compensatory 3 so thats why the cost is likely a 3 and 5 or 6 for the player. If the Jets trade Holmes the cap hit isnt high. Its the factor that everyone overlooks in the Jets deals with many of these players. The Jets guarantee salary and while that makes it difficult to cut certain players (Scott, Bart) you can trade them. In Holmes case the dead cap is only 1.25 million (with another 3.75 next year) with the other team taking on $14-$15 million in guarantees. If things dont work out this season and the defense makes a full transition to 4-3 Id expect Holmes, Sanchez, Harris, and Cromartie to all be shopped. They wont find a buyer for all 4, but one or two gives the Jets a tremendous amount of cap room to improve the team.

Minnesota is in full blow it up and rebuild mode so immediate parts dont really matter to them. Draft picks are what teams like that look for. Harvin will get them a compensatory 3 so thats why the cost is likely a 3 and 5 or 6 for the player. If the Jets trade Holmes the cap hit isnt high. Its the factor that everyone overlooks in the Jets deals with many of these players. The Jets guarantee salary and while that makes it difficult to cut certain players (Scott, Bart) you can trade them. In Holmes case the dead cap is only 1.25 million (with another 3.75 next year) with the other team taking on $14-$15 million in guarantees. If things dont work out this season and the defense makes a full transition to 4-3 Id expect Holmes, Sanchez, Harris, and Cromartie to all be shopped. They wont find a buyer for all 4, but one or two gives the Jets a tremendous amount of cap room to improve the team.

Of all your awesome posts, this might be my favorite one. Trading Holmes would be the ultimate bailout for this franchise on many levels.

Of all your awesome posts, this might be my favorite one. Trading Holmes would be the ultimate bailout for this franchise on many levels.

Not that it would happen because I dont think a team wants to commit a potential $19 million to Holmes the next two years (14-15 mil guaranteed) but if the Jets traded him tomorrow they would free up about 16.5 million in cap room total over the next two years. Like I said its highly unlikely now because of the risk and cost (he has an injury and is off a bad year), but next year I find it pretty likely. If they move him its still an 8.75 million in savings next year which is gigantic. At that point his deal becomes a 3 year contract worth 28.5 million and only 7.5 million in guarantees with no penalty if cut after year 1. Thats perfectly acceptable for a team with a QB in need of a WR as a trial as long as all the Jets want is a 7th.

If we are not going to make the playoffs this season the best case scenario is that Holmes has a 1000-1200 yard season playing with a crummy QB. Teams will bite on that. Fans might as well, but a WR has almost no value when the QB stinks. Arizona is just throwing money away on Fitzgerald because he is a great talent. Carolina did it for years (and for anyone thinking the Jets are a bad front office with contracts Carolina is in a different universe for poor management) with Steve Smith. Investing 9 million a year in a WR when your QB(s) average about 50% completions is a waste. But teams like Dallas, Baltimore, Houston, and maybe Denver and San Francisco would consider Holmes. Teams that see a window closing and feel the need for more weapons (Houston because AJ cant stay healthy) to make a last run.

yeahhhhhhh they arent gunna trade david harris. hes part of the core, believe it or not.

So basically, it's totally worth trading the 3rd and 5th just to get rid of his contract.

So basically, it's totally worth trading the 3rd and 5th just to get rid of his contract.

I dont think Minnesota would want him, but yeah if the Jets felt Harvin was his replacement (and I have to think Harvin will be cheaper than Tone) and the move was essentially Harvin and a 7 for Holmes, a 3 and a 5 its probably a smart move financially. If Harvin is going to get 10 million a year then its a pointless move. But considering Colston just got 7.3 million a year deal to play alot in the slot I have to think his value is somewhere between 7 and 8 million a year, nowhere hear the 9 million Holmes gets. You would probably put off the big extension money in terms of cap to 2014 when the team has way more flexibility than it has the next two seasons. JMO, but trading Holmes gives the Jets a really good opportunity to go into free agency next year and start making moves for young guys that can solidify the team. His contract is like a noose around the neck of the team because his performance is nowhere near the level of his cap charges and everyone on the team seems to dislike him. If the Jets traded him today for just a 7 in return they would go into next year anticipating 20 million in room to work with. Thats a Revis extension and 3 or 4 solid free agents that can give the team some quality depth on the offensive line and defensive secondary.

I dont think Minnesota would want him, but yeah if the Jets felt Harvin was his replacement (and I have to think Harvin will be cheaper than Tone) and the move was essentially Harvin and a 7 for Holmes, a 3 and a 5 its probably a smart move financially. If Harvin is going to get 10 million a year then its a pointless move. But considering Colston just got 7.3 million a year deal to play alot in the slot I have to think his value is somewhere between 7 and 8 million a year, nowhere hear the 9 million Holmes gets. You would probably put off the big extension money in terms of cap to 2014 when the team has way more flexibility than it has the next two seasons. JMO, but trading Holmes gives the Jets a really good opportunity to go into free agency next year and start making moves for young guys that can solidify the team. His contract is like a noose around the neck of the team because his performance is nowhere near the level of his cap charges and everyone on the team seems to dislike him. If the Jets traded him today for just a 7 in return they would go into next year anticipating 20 million in room to work with. Thats a Revis extension and 3 or 4 solid free agents that can give the team some quality depth on the offensive line and defensive secondary.

That's crazy to even think about. The panic that set in on that initial moment of FA in 2011 has to be really messing with Mike T and crew. They dismantled a really effective and tight team all to try and get Aso and sign Holmes and Plax. I sincerely hope that they are trying to cut their losses with Holmes. To be able to bring Harvin in and create that much space all by removing one contract is mind numbing to me.

Archived