He's gone. (Hunter no longer starting RT)

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head Coach Rex Ryan said in his pre-practice press conference today that embattled right tackle Wayne Hunter is out for now as a starter.  Ryan went on to say that Austin Howard will replace Hunter as the starter, who will be used as the “sixth” linemen in “jumbo” packages.

More on the Hunter move in our JetNation camp report.

di
di

yyjTAjHVtjQ

View the full article

I thought the issue was that we didn't have a starting caliber RT, I guess I just totally forgot about Austin Howard. PLUS we now have our blocking TE. Tanny works his magic again, I know hataz is gunna hate but you gotta give him his props the dude gets it done. Sparano must be licking his lips now that the line is fixed it's G&P 2012 baby

A $2.5 million dollar jumbo TE? Nice, Tannenbaum.

actually a backup tackle with experience goes for about that price. Vet minimum for a guy like Hunter is gonna be 910k. So it's not as much money as it sounds. The problem was believing they were getting a cheap starter at backup prices.

I don't expect anyone to step into RT and all of sudden be the great wall of China. But it was obvious that Hunter needed to take a seat. You can only hope this lights a fire under his ass to get his sh*t together and that Howard will be able to step up quickly.

Well I for one think it's fantastic that we named him the starter over the winter, that we didn't sign or draft anyone to account for the possibility of him playing like he did last year, and that we're now being stranded 2 weeks before the season starts with Austin ****ing Howard at RT. But HEY, what do I know? 2 AFCC losses and learning from your mistakes (Adrien Clarke) FTW. Best GM ever!

Well I for one think it's fantastic that we named him the starter over the winter, that we didn't sign or draft anyone to account for the possibility of him playing like he did last year, and that we're now being stranded 2 weeks before the season starts with Austin ****ing Howard at RT. But HEY, what do I know? 2 AFCC losses and learning from your mistakes (Adrien Clarke) FTW. Best GM ever!

LOL. So true.

But I also don't get guaranteeing the $2.5 mil. Made no sense. Cut him and re-sign him for less if you have to. Did Tanny think some team was going to snatch him up?

LOL. So true.

But I also don't get guaranteeing the $2.5 mil. Made no sense. Cut him and re-sign him for less if you have to. Did Tanny think some team was going to snatch him up?

I think the feeling was that there was nobody on the free agent market that was really an improvement and also the fact that you had Hunter as a hero for standing up to the guy everyone hated in Holmes. When you have a fractured locker room and both guys contracts have rolling guarantees on the same date how bad does it look when you essentially pick up a $20 million option on Holmes and wont pick up the $2.5 million dollar on on Hunter.

actually a backup tackle with experience goes for about that price. Vet minimum for a guy like Hunter is gonna be 910k. So it's not as much money as it sounds. The problem was believing they were getting a cheap starter at backup prices.

Unfortunately, the only thing that qualifies Hunter as an NFL backup tackle is the fact that he is not a starter. Sadly, the word "competent" is missing from this equation.

LOL. So true.

How about just cutting the guy period? After the season he had? Bringing him back and handing him the starting gig with, (mind you), absolute zero competition was a f'ing joke. Another nonsensical move in what's been a series of crap that doesn't make sense from this effing cock gobbler. Looking forward to either a season with Austin Howard, overpaying for someone now because we have zero leverage, or Winston Justice. ****ing Jets.

How about just cutting the guy period? After the season he had? Bringing him back and handing him the starting gig with, (mind you), absolute zero competition was a f'ing joke. Another nonsensical move in what's been a series of crap that doesn't make sense from this effing cock gobbler. Looking forward to either a season with Austin Howard, overpaying for someone now because we have zero leverage, or Winston Justice. ****ing Jets.

TRADER MIKE BABY

I think the feeling was that there was nobody on the free agent market that was really an improvement and also the fact that you had Hunter as a hero for standing up to the guy everyone hated in Holmes. When you have a fractured locker room and both guys contracts have rolling guarantees on the same date how bad does it look when you essentially pick up a $20 million option on Holmes and wont pick up the $2.5 million dollar on on Hunter.

Dude it's cool, Rex would have pop lock and dropped that elephant in the room like nobody's business.

Also, I don't know why this escapes everyone's memory: we needed to address BOTH safety positions, the pass rush and wide receiver this offseason.

How is everyone forgetting how much we needed to improve the pass rush? Or the safeties? Unfortunately we just couldn't fix it all.

The criticism about paying him $2.5 is fair but I'm not sure how they could have addressed all of these positions in one offseason.

Archived