Mehta, Cimini & Agapito On Revis: MERGED

flgreen

This is a non-story but yet merits the back page of the paper.  I have to wonder if the sports editor at the Daily News pressures these guys to fabricate stories as Mehta and Cimini before him are both muckraking douchebags.

I've thought the same thing, that he is being instructed to write this crap.  I asked the Giants' NYDN writer if the Daily News goes by the newspapers or tabloids now and he said..."you don't know that it's considered a tabloid newspaper?"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Borderline Yellow Journalism in my mind by Manish. manufacturing headlines and stories where there are no stories.

The caveat here is that, maybe, someone got in Mehta's ear that there is already friction between Idzik/Woody and Revis' camp. I'm sure Revis' agents had a fine ol' time calling on Florham Park when Stutterin' Mike was handing out checks, and--maybe--they're trying to set the tone with Idzik to see if he blinks. I doubt Mehta just sat down and decided to write some bullsh*t without some level of prompting.

Side note, btw. Herm Edwards, a few weeks back, was talking about how Idzik came out of those Bucs teams that had a no-first-rounders-on-corners philosophy, because they felt it wasn't a max-return position (even though they wandered into Ronde Barber). Could be that Idzik just wants nothing to do with a roster that spends $30 mil on corners.

The caveat here is that, maybe, someone got in Mehta's ear that there is already friction between Idzik/Woody and Revis' camp. I'm sure Revis' agents had a fine ol' time calling on Florham Park when Stutterin' Mike was handing out checks, and--maybe--they're trying to set the tone with Idzik to see if he blinks. I doubt Mehta just sat down and decided to write some bullsh*t without some level of prompting.

Side note, btw. Herm Edwards, a few weeks back, was talking about how Idzik came out of those Bucs teams that had a no-first-rounders-on-corners philosophy, because they felt it wasn't a max-return position (even though they wandered into Ronde Barber). Could be that Idzik just wants nothing to do with a roster that spends $30 mil on corners.

Just hire John Geiger to a decent long term salary and Revis will stay with Jets. Then Revis could add Geiger to his Health Care plan if that law passes ;)

MEHTA!!!!!  As soon as the global econemy inevitably colapses and I rise up in the power vaccume it creates amongst the poor Mehta will be one of the people I make an example of in order to shape my new Utopia. I know you're reading this Manish since Blackout threads are the source for half your drivel, repent now or you will repent later,

Somewhat agree that Mehta is not just making stuff up. The question we all have to ask is the lack of progress on talks a sign of tension.  

as for the 2nd point, Idzik did find Sherman with a non1st (rd 5) and Browner on the fa so that is probably true to an extent. the Bucs ran a cover-2 and you can find those guys anywhere. The 2013 bucs are corner-needy and could go for Xavier Rhodes FSU. 

side note Dee Milliner ran a legit 4.3 today which puts him in the convo for PHI at 4, DET at 5 or even KC at 1 (longshot). The value of CBs change over the years. 

as for the Jets if Idzik is planning on canning Rex, then he doesn't need Revis arguably. Trading Revis makes Rex a lame duck and the season basically over before it starts.  A wait and see attitude on all fronts is probably best. 

This is all a case of tail-wagging-the-dog. Revis is supposedly playing the part of good soldier, "wanting to be a Jet forever". But the truth is-- he and his contingency are forcing his trade.  

Like TomShane said, this was prompted...and you can bet your brass it wasn't prompted by our guys.  Either Manish was approached by Camp Revis, or he approached them to stoke the fire.  My money is on the former. 

How tense can anyone really be at a bunch of people who have paid him over $50 million? Guy probably has a fvckin'solid gold toilet seat thanks to Woody Johnson and he's "tense"?

"Elected not to talk"-what does that even mean?

gold is actually not sh*tworthy for today's modern athlete. Revis probably has one of those fancy Japanese toilets. 

He was fast, but his footwork sucked butt.  He dropped three passes too.  Deon said he was probably nervous because he and Tyrann were talking smack, and it was a big stage, yada yada yada.....

Tyrann looked fantastic in drills.  

Somewhat agree that Mehta is not just making stuff up. The question we all have to ask is the lack of progress on talks a sign of tension.  

side note Dee Milliner ran a legit 4.3 today which puts him in the convo for PHI at 4, DET at 5 or even KC at 1 (longshot). The value of CBs change over the years. 

He was fast, but his footwork sucked butt.  He dropped three passes too.  Deon said he was probably nervous because he and Tyrann were talking smack, and it was a big stage, yada yada yada.....

Tyrann looked fantastic in drills.  

Dee in top 5 is a function of his speed and the absolute demand for CB. Xavier can't catch a cold and is prob going top 20. Trufant and Slay could go that high too. DB drills don't mean much. Deion didn't do them at all. 

If there was a lively Revis trade market right now, the agents wouldn't be complaining about the Jets not extending. 

Sure they would.  Say the Jets are fielding calls from teams that would give up a late first (say 49ers) and that is all.  The Jets would say, we are looking for more compensation.  Camp Revis would throw a fit if they think they can get the contract they're seeking somewhere else.  

Dee in top 5 is a function of his speed and the absolute demand for CB. Xavier can't catch a cold and is prob going top 20. Trufant and Slay could go that high too. DB drills don't mean much. Deion didn't do them at all. 

I didnt know that. I guess running a 4.21 gives you that freedom. 

The latest on the Revis situation: Crickets

February, 26, 2013
Feb 26

6:54

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Hold the hysteria, people. Nothing has changed with the Darrelle Revis situation. Absolutely nothing.

No, the New York Jets haven't conducted any formal talks with Revis' agents, according to sources. And, yes, the Jets listened to teams at the scouting combine that inquired about the star cornerback, sources confirmed. Does this mean Revis is finished with the Jets?

[+] Enlarge
Doug Murray/Icon SMIUnless Darrelle Revis gives the Jets a Tom Brady discount, there's no way he'll land a long-term contract with them before the draft.
Headline writers are hyperventilating, but check the calendar -- it's Feb. 26. This is the first inning of a nine-inning game that could, in theory, stretch all the way to the trading deadline in late October. Nothing is imminent.

As I reported on Friday, the Jets are intent to let his play out, perhaps through the summer.

Take this to the bank: Unless Revis gives the Jets a Tom Brady discount, there's no way he'll land a long-term contract with them before the NFL draft. They want to see him on the field, healthy, before they commit mega-money to a cornerback coming off major knee surgery. As GM John Idzik said last week at the combine, their top priority is to make sure Revis gets back to being Revis.

So does this mean Revis will be traded before the draft? I wouldn't rule that out because I do believe the Jets would deal their best player if the right offer came along. Owner Woody Johnson is concerned about their ability to re-sign Revis, according to sources, and he has instructed his football people to quietly gauge the market. And they're doing that.

Problem is, it'll be hard to receive fair value because of the injury. We're also in a flat-cap era, and teams -- many of which are squeezed against the salary cap -- may be reluctant to meet Revis' asking price, believed to be $16 million a year.

So the Jets will wait. In the meantime, there will be posturing, lots of posturing. The enmity between the Jets and Revis' agents runs deep, back to 2007. Neither side wants to make the first move, so what we have is a staring contest.

It's hardly news that the Jets have yet to open negotiations with Revis. After all, he still has a year left on his contract and they have other front-burner issues that need attention.

At the same time, they owe Revis' camp a courtesy call. If they truly have an interest in re-signing their best player, they should contact the agents to express that sentiment and to set up a time to talk, even if it's a month from now. But the situation is so toxic that they're reluctant to engage in small talk. Idzik called Revis a month ago, but it was only to smooth things over after fumbling Revis-related questions in his introductory news conference.

The Jets have to be careful here. Their brand took a big hit last season, the fan base is angry and Johnson has PSLs to sell. If he alienates his best player and trades him for a second-rate package, it'll be a public-relations disaster of epic proportions.

As for Revis, he needs to chill, concentrate on his rehab and gear up for an extended poker game between his agents and the Jets.

Common sense strategy would be: shop him, if anyone makes an offer you can't refuse then move him. If they don't, wait until you see him on the field before deciding to re-sign him or trade him.

In that scenario, there's no reason to talk to his agents at all.

Why the eff this type of thinking would be controversial is beyond me.

That was a pretty good article.

Actually I think the Jets are doing the exact right thing.  Nothing.

They have a price that they will pay him.  He has a price he will play for.  I think they both know there’s a great divide.

Jets are trying to establish Revis’ value.  If it’s way high, they’ll trade him.  If it’s low, they’ll let him see that, and try to sign him for their price.

Think Cimini, and Bit, have it right this time.  This could drag out thru camp.

I think that the media does not only try to control the narrative, but they try to create the story.  Did the Jets stop paying Revis?  That would be a story.  Not whether they tuck him in or not at night.  Paying homage to players is not required of the front office.  They are already getting soaked by the salaries they wind up paying for non-performance.  Yes the Jets are a circus.  But their beat reporters are the clowns in that circus.a  The evil clowns.

I think that the media does not only try to control the narrative, but they try to create the story. Did the Jets stop paying Revis? That would be a story. Not whether they tuck him in or not at night. Paying homage to players is not required of the front office. They are already getting soaked by the salaries they wind up paying for non-performance. Yes the Jets are a circus. But their beat reporters are the clowns in that circus.a The evil clowns.

Dead on, the Jets Circus is a gold mine for the hacks, although I'm sure there will be much less of this under our new GM. The media want to "stir the pot" and hopefully create a problem that does it actually exist.

The Jets have become the Team to hate and ridicule, which was bareable when we where playoff Team, but now it's just sad. I hope Rex is gagged for 2013, since its going to be a bumpy ride. At least there is no illusions that we are contending for any thing this year except a good Draft position in 2014.

yahoo_darrellerevis.jpgThe Jets reportedly shopped Darrelle Revis at the combine (Getty Images)

The New York Jets did not meet with the agents for cornerback Darrelle Revis during the 2013 scouting combine, but they were "actively" shopping the three-time All-Pro to other teams, Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports.

According to Myers, interested clubs are now investigating what it might cost them in terms of draft choice compensation and a new contract for Revis, who is scheduled to earn $6 million in cash compensation, including a $3 million base salary, in the final season of a four-year, $46 million "band aid" contract he signed towards the end of 2010 training camp.

Jets first-year general manager John Idzik and returning head coach Rex Ryan have stated that they want Revis on the team, but would always discuss options on any player if a deal would improve their team.

"Me and my job and Rex and everybody involved will always field calls and we’ll always have internal discussions about how we can improve our team day to day, position by position," Idzik said at the combine. "So that is an ongoing process but that is not isolated to any one player and not isolated to any one position. That is just something we do on a daily, a weekly, a monthly basis. Particularly at this time of the year when you are going to into free agency, you are going into the draft.

"So there are a lot of what ifs, if you will, that we will be discussing internally."

Ryan, who referred to Revis as a "tremendous" player, also wouldn't completely rule out trading anyone because you never know what the trade compensation might be.

"I’m going to coach whoever is here, but John and everybody would be involved in that. Certainly, to sit down and say absolutely not, we’re not going to do it, I’m not going to say this player or that player, but if we got Jim Brown in that trade, we would probably look into it," Ryan joked.

Despite toeing the company line, Myers added that Ryan is among those in the organization who are "out of the loop" on trade talks involving Revis.

Two issues complicate a trade for Revis.

The first is that Revis is rehabilitating from surgery to repair a torn ACL in his left knee. That injury occurred early enough in the season (Week 3) that Revis should be 100 percent by the start of the 2013, but until he proves he's back to his old self as the top cornerback in the league, teams will be wary about trading for and paying Revis the sort of contract he is seeking.

A second issue is that, according to Myers, the directive to trade Revis is believed to be coming from owner Woody Johnson. If that is the case, Johnson would be exercising veto power over Idzik, who reportedly has final decision-making on personnel matters. Knowing or sensing that the first-year GM has to move Revis off the roster may limit what the Jets could get in return for a uniquely talented player.

as for the 2nd point, Idzik did find Sherman with a non1st (rd 5) and Browner on the fa so that is probably true to an extent. the Bucs ran a cover-2 and you can find those guys anywhere. The 2013 bucs are corner-needy and could go for Xavier Rhodes FSU. 

as for the Jets if Idzik is planning on canning Rex, then he doesn't need Revis arguably. Trading Revis makes Rex a lame duck and the season basically over before it starts.  A wait and see attitude on all fronts is probably best. 

Mehta probably has the ear of a jets employee but more likely someone close to Revis and his agent. But it's not really a story. Nothing is happening out of the ordinary. Revis is under contract, Iddzik is exploring his options, as he should. Basically the point of the story is as per Mehta the jets should be run according to the wishes and bank account of Revis. That's insane.

Problem for Revis is that if he has someone feeding Metha this nonsense, he is probably costing himself money long term. No franchise is going to jump up to overpay him to deal with this crap for any  primo CB. A QB, may be. But this is an overplayed hand. The guy gets paid gobs of money and still holds out every other year, and now has his agent (or uncle Sean Gibert, may be,as he did in his 1st holdout) badmouting his team. Why does he think someone else is going to sign up for this? Further while he no doubt is working hard, an ACL injury is not a day at the beach.It's not a given he comes back 100%. Fault no NFL player for trying to max out his earnings, but this is not smart.  

If Revis wants to help himself, whether he goes elsewhere or stays, he should have his agent work with the jets instead of shoveling crap at Mehta.

Couldn't it have been prompted by the mountains of posts on the message boards about Revis?  The guy's job is to sell papers and get hits on the website.  This piece did that and the guy didn't have to get out of bed to write it. It's obviously the only topic of interest around here besides cutting Sanchez and Tebow.  

NY Jets actively shopping Darrelle Revis at NFL Combine, source says, but dealing star corner before he proves healthy could be big mistake

Gang Green's new general manager John Idzik is going all out in his trade effort, since it seems that owner Woody Johnson isn't ready to write Revis a check bigger than he's written for anyone else.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 2:09 AM

Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 3:05 AM.

Darrelle Revis could be on the move as new Jets GM John Idzik tries to trade the star cornerback, according to source.

Jets GM John Idzik may not have found time to meet with Darrelle Revis’ agents at the NFL Combine last week, but a source said he did manage to squeeze in Revis trade talk with multiple teams in Indianapolis.

Despite the damage control talk from Idzik and Rex Ryan in Indy about how much they value Revis, the source told the Daily News on Tuesday that Idzik was “actively” shopping Revis at the combine, and interested teams are now doing their homework on what it would take to get Revis signed to a new contract if they can satisfy the Jets with compensation.

The Daily News reported exclusively Tuesday that Idzik, Ryan and team owner Woody Johnson didn’t meet with Revis’ camp during the Combine.

Idzik is basically flying solo on the Revis talks, with Ryan and other members of the organization (other than Johnson) out of the loop.

Will Idzik wave goodbye to his best player as one of his first acts as general manager?

Teams historically use the combine in February to set the groundwork for deals that eventually get done before the draft in late April. Revis’ recovery from ACL surgery could push the timetable back for a potential trade until the summer. If he is healthy and re-establishes himself as not only the best shutdown corner in the league but also the best defensive player in the NFL, he’s worth two first-round draft choices.

The source said the word around the NFL is the Revis trade talk is at the directive of Johnson. Even so, Idzik, the rookie GM, is in a final say decision-making role for the first time in his 20-year career in NFL front offices and his Jets tenure may eventually be defined by how he handles this delicate situation.

Idzik was asked at the combine if he would listen to offers for Revis. He provided an answer that was not limited to Revis.

“We will always field calls and always have internal discussions about how we can improve our team day-to-day, position-by-position,” he said. “That’s an ongoing process.”

After tearing his ACL this past season, Revis needs to prove he can once again be a perennial All-Pro.

Several teams emerged as having interest in dealing for Revis and could be more willing to pay him what he wants than the Jets, who are entering a complete rebuilding mode with a coach who has every appearance of being a lame duck.

Revis is coming off ACL surgery and going into the final year of his four-year $46 million contract — he is making just $6 million this year after the deal was front-loaded with $32.5 million in the first two years. As part of the contract, the Jets can’t franchise Revis, which changes everything. If they had the option to franchise Revis after the 2013 season, they would have the luxury of watching him play this season and then try to sign him while still having the franchise tag as a last resort.

Now they will risk losing him for nothing if they don’t trade him by the Tuesday after the eighth game of the 2013 season or if they don’t have him signed before he becomes an unrestricted free agent next March. Only the Jets could get themselves into this kind of situation with their best player.

(Page 2 of 2)

Ultimately, it comes down to one issue: Does Johnson have the stomach to write checks to Revis for more than he’s ever written to any Jets player? Deals can be structured to minimize the salary cap hit. It comes down to cash. Does Johnson have the desire or the capability to write Revis a monster check?

One of the Jets options is to trade Revis and let somebody else pay him while they take the draft choices they would get in return to rebuild a depleted roster. That approach is going to be a tough sell to an already disgruntled fan base which committed its hard-earned money to PSLs when the new $1.7 billion stadium opened in 2010 following a season when Ryan took the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in his first year with the team.

Andrew Theodorakis/New York Daily News

Revis is entering the final year of his contract.

My feeling is when you have great players, you keep great players and find a way to make it work — especially a guy like Revis, who doesn’t cause a bit of trouble off the field and despite the deterioration of the team around him, truly wants to remain with the Jets.

Right now, it’s impossible to establish Revis’ market value in a trade or a contract until he proves he’s coming back as Revis and not Kyle Wilson.

Maybe Revis will make a full recovery like the 2012 ACL trio of Adrian Peterson (he came within nine yards of breaking the NFL rushing record), Jamaal Charles (he led the AFC in rushing) and safety Eric Berry (he made the Pro Bowl), which would increase his contract leverage and the leverage the Jets have in trade talks.

It used to be players returning from an ACL didn’t return to form until their second season back. That’s now changed. The recovery time has been accelerated. Still, there’s no guarantee Revis comes back as good or better. It will be the summer before we know that.

So, my advice to Revis and the Jets: Chill out and reconvene in August.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/myers-jets-gm-shopping-revis-dealing-mistake-article-1.1274592?pgno=1#ixzz2M6lec8Ck

Don’t expect a Jets’ call on Revis any time soon
By MARK CANNIZZARO
Last Updated: 8:43 AM, February 27, 2013
Posted: 12:50 AM, February 27, 2013
Jets Blog

Mark Cannizzaro

If you are a Jets fan who has grown tired of hearing about the Darrelle Revis saga and whether he gets traded, remains with the team under the same contract or gets the new mega-millions deal he wants please raise your hand.

Barring a panic move by the Jets, Revis is not likely to be going anywhere any time soon — nor is he getting the $16 million per-year contract he wants to make him the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player.

Unless the Jets, who are clearly in the market to at least listen to trade offers for their best player, find a team willing to give them proper value for Revis (let’s start with a No. 1 and No. 3 draft pick and go from there), the Jets and Revis have little choice but to chill out and let the process play itself out.

In the meantime, neither side has immediate leverage on the other.

Revis, by language in his current contract, is forbidden to hold out or the final three years of his contract trigger in and he must remain with the team at $3 million per year through 2016. And, per Revis’ contract terms, the Jets cannot place a franchise tag on him after the 2013 season to keep him an extra year.

As for the Jets finding a team to give them market value for Revis, what team is going to part ways with a No. 1 pick and more when Revis will be a free agent after the 2013 season?

Also, what team is going to part ways with those draft picks and make Revis the NFL’s highest-paid defensive player before there is evidence that Revis is still Revis post knee surgery and rehab?

Another factor complicating a Jets trade of Revis is the uncertainty of the salary cap, which has a lot of teams financially strapped and unable to offer Revis the big contract he wants.

So what’s going to happen?

The most likely scenario is Revis remaining a Jet and showing he still can play at his Pro Bowl level. Then let the negotiations for a new contract begin — whether it’s with the Jets or on the open free-agent market after the 2013 season.

The risk there, of course, is the Jets losing Revis in free agency and getting no value for him in return.

It is possible that, should Revis play for the $6 million he’s scheduled to make this year, there will be so much bad blood churned up by the Jets not giving him a new deal before the season that Revis would leave as a free agent despite always saying he wanted to be “a Jet for life.’’

If the Jets truly believe they will be better off trading Revis for draft picks, then they work in conjunction with Revis’ agents to find a team willing to part with the compensation the Jets are seeking and able to sign him to a new deal.

To date, according to Revis’ representatives, there has been no such conversation. The two sides did not speak at the NFL Combine last week when Revis’ agents were in Indianapolis. Though one report stated the Jets “snubbed’’ Revis’ agents at the combine, Revis’ agents never requested a meeting with the Jets.

The notion the Jets should have been chasing down Revis’ agents for a meeting in Indianapolis is laughable. The agents the Jets brass did seek out there were those representing current free agents — Dustin Keller, Shonn Greene, LaRon Landry, Austin Howard among them — all of whom are a priority because they are set to hit the open market on March 12.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Don’t expect a Jets’ call on Revis any time soon

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Revis, by language in his current contract, is forbidden to hold out or the final three years of his contract trigger in and he must remain with the team at $3 million per year through 2016. And, per Revis’ contract terms, the Jets cannot place a franchise tag on him after the 2013 season to keep him an extra year.

I know everybody likes to bash Tannenbaum, but he made two good moves with Revis that aren't generally acknowledged.  First the hold out during his rookie year was over locking him up for an extra year.  Also, the above langauge was designed to force a renegotiation this offseason.  If Revis had another All Pro season, he would not want to be playing for a mere $6M and in order to get to the $12-14M he'd deserve, he would have to extend the deal.  The injury has kind of chilled some of that, but it gives a reason to redo the deal and he can't hold out. 

Note to Manish Mehta and Gary Meyers:  If the Jets are not calling other teams about a trade, they are not shopping anything.   Fielding calls is not shopping.  These two hacks are unreadable.  You know you are bad when you make Cimini seem like the voice of reason.

Note to Manish Mehta and Gary Meyers:  If the Jets are not calling other teams about a trade, they are not shopping anything.   Fielding calls is not shopping.  These two hacks are unreadable.  You know you are bad when you make Cimini seem like the voice of reason.

LOL

This is true.  As strange as it seems, Cimini has written a few good articles on this.

Archived