How many wins will save Rex?

AFJF

IMHO.....

0-4 wins and he's gone

5 wins and it's up in the air

6 wins and he's back

They're putting together a 3-4 win roster. Six wins doubles expectations and Rex stays.

Unless he makes the playoffs, he is likely gone.

Really? With this roster? If that was the case I'd think they'd fire him now. Why build a non-playoff roster, and then fire the HC for not making the playoffs?

Rex will coach the entire season.

I know people are focused on wins on deciding his fate but if the offense lays an rotten egg and the defense is stellar than he has some chance of coming back because rational peoples have to ask one question "How will he do with an average QB?"

But if they keep losing and the defense is mediocre he is a goner with anything that is sub 500!

Meh, I'd say 8.

I have to disagree.  That doesn't seem like enough to top Idzik from firing Rex and bringing in his own guy. 8/8 doesn't have good "bottom line" feel to it.

Woody told Idzik that he'd have to keep Rex for 1 year.  After this Idzik has free reign and it's hard to see 8/8 stopping him from exercising it.  Once he doesn't fire Rex he becomes Idzik's problem.

If the Jets wind up 6-10 or better with this roster and situation,  Rex probably deserves to stay.  But like many situations, he'll probably get fired after another non playoff season.   But then it all falls on Idzik.    As much as people seem to dislike Ryan, the guy has been a decent coach at times.   So if they wind up 6-10, they fire the staff, and Idzik brings in some cheap college or assistant NFL coach nobody but a few hardcore fans have heard of,  then Idzik needs to win.   Nobody gets free passes in the NFL.   A 6-10 season and firing of the entire staff, followed up by some rookie coach who goes worse than 6-10?   I'd say Idzik would be on the firing line at that point.

That is the worry to me. If they do go 6-10 and still fire Ryan, who else would they bring in?   I doubt any of these coaches like Gruden or Cowher would jump at the chance to coach the Jets. Especially without an Andrew Luck or RG3 in the draft.

Really? With this roster? If that was the case I'd think they'd fire him now. Why build a non-playoff roster, and then fire the HC for not making the playoffs?

teams do this all the time.  

more than likely they will let him run out his contract (which i believe ends in 2014) so Woody wont have to increase the cost of hot dogs to pay 2 head coach salaries

If the Jets wind up 6-10 or better with this roster and situation,  Rex probably deserves to stay.  But like many situations, he'll probably get fired after another non playoff season.   But then it all falls on Idzik.    As much as people seem to dislike Ryan, the guy has been a decent coach at times.   So if they wind up 6-10, they fire the staff, and Idzik brings in some cheap college or assistant NFL coach nobody but a few hardcore fans have heard of,  then Idzik needs to win.   Nobody gets free passes in the NFL.   A 6-10 season and firing of the entire staff, followed up by some rookie coach who goes worse than 6-10?   I'd say Idzik would be on the firing line at that point.

That is the worry to me. If they do go 6-10 and still fire Ryan, who else would they bring in?   I doubt any of these coaches like Gruden or Cowher would jump at the chance to coach the Jets. Especially without an Andrew Luck or RG3 in the draft.

You never know when a coach is going to be good or bad no matter what the name is.  We dont necessarily need a big name, just someone who can get the players to play their best.

You never know when a coach is going to be good or bad no matter what the name is.  We dont necessarily need a big name, just someone who can get the players to play their best.

This is true,  but you could say Ryan did that in 2009 & 2010.   As bad as people say he is, the Jets have had one losing season under him.  

Idzik needs to find a guy who can be better than Ryan.  That's not that easy to do as bad as people think he is.    Ryan is a defensive guru and seems to know how to coach up that side of the ball no matter who he has playing for him.  It's been in his blood. It's been his history.   Maybe he isn't the best HC, but on the defensive side of things, he sure knows how to get a team to play over their head.     Some new HC needs to at least be great on one side of the ball or know how to hire the right coordinators to do so.

I go back to the Charges situation and Norv Turner.  They wanted Marty out. AJ Smith and him did not get along, etc.  Idzik and Rex aren't on that path, but I don't see Rex and Idzik on any path at this point.   More like Idzik doesn't want to hear anything Rex has to say.  So a bad season, fire Rex, and you wind up with a Norv Turner.  Not a bad guy, not a terrible coach, but never lived up to expectations because he just wasn't the right guy.   Jets situation isn't like that, but if Rex wins up 7-9 this year and they replace him with XYZ coach who goes 5-11 next year,  people will be looking at Idzik, not the HC.

Sanchez as QB

sh*t RBs

sh*t WRs

sh*t TEs

sh*t OL

No passrush

Average LBs

Average DBs

Good DL

Mr Vince himself could comeback from the dead and not be able to coach this team to the playoffs much less a winning season.

Unless Rex completely ****s up something he's staying.

That's the roster HE built, that is his team. If the fat big mouth moron cannot win with the roster he built, the fat turd should be gone.

This is true,  but you could say Ryan did that in 2009 & 2010.   As bad as people say he is, the Jets have had one losing season under him.  

Idzik needs to find a guy who can be better than Ryan.  That's not that easy to do as bad as people think he is.    Ryan is a defensive guru and seems to know how to coach up that side of the ball no matter who he has playing for him.  It's been in his blood. It's been his history.   Maybe he isn't the best HC, but on the defensive side of things, he sure knows how to get a team to play over their head.     Some new HC needs to at least be great on one side of the ball or know how to hire the right coordinators to do so.

I go back to the Charges situation and Norv Turner.  They wanted Marty out. AJ Smith and him did not get along, etc.  Idzik and Rex aren't on that path, but I don't see Rex and Idzik on any path at this point.   More like Idzik doesn't want to hear anything Rex has to say.  So a bad season, fire Rex, and you wind up with a Norv Turner.  Not a bad guy, not a terrible coach, but never lived up to expectations because he just wasn't the right guy.   Jets situation isn't like that, but if Rex wins up 7-9 this year and they replace him with XYZ coach who goes 5-11 next year,  people will be looking at Idzik, not the HC.

Lets cut the bullsh*t about the 1 losing season stat.  Rex has had 1 good season, 1 bad season and 3 mediocre seasons record-wise.  He isnt some awesome head coach that annually wins over 10 games.  

As for good head coach or not... he isnt.  He's too loyal to players.  Too slow to make changes in players, strategy or coaching staff.  He;s too worried about being a cheerleader and mouthpiece than he is about fixing the obvious problems staring him in the face,

But, if Rex does get canned after this year, it is all on Idzik then.  But he wont be going anywhere for at least 4 years.  And it wont matter who the coach is.. big name or not.  Lots of big names fail. Lots of no-names succeed.

wel, less than 4 and he is gone

but I think they are looking for a more grown up team, and a more grown up rex.  set the example, be a leader, and no more playing guys you like even if they suck

he has to learn to be tough on all the guys, and make it a merit based team

no more declaring draft picks starters on draft day and playing sanchez a month too long.

encourage competition and be the grown up

I don't think this team is going to be that bad this year.    The offense can't possibly be worse than it was last year and Revis was gone for most of the season anyway.    2 picks in the top 13 should be 2 starters at least. 

The 2013 Jets should be young but they shouldn't suck.   I say Rex needs 8 wins to stick around, anything less than that and he is gone.  

I don't think this team is going to be that bad this year.    The offense can't possibly be worse than it was last year and Revis was gone for most of the season anyway.    2 picks in the top 13 should be 2 starters at least. 

The 2013 Jets should be young but they shouldn't suck.   I say Rex needs 8 wins to stick around, anything less than that and he is gone.  

If they get 8 wins I'll buy you a beer.

Thank you.  The whimpering was taking a toll. 

The offense has a real coordinator, a real QB battle, a returning Holmes, a better RB situation, and help coming in the draft.  There is no way they are as bad as last year.

We still have a pro bowl corner, Coples and Wilk, more speed and youth at LB, and help coming in the draft.

How can anyone objectively look at the situation and say this years team will be significantly worse than last years?  We had no Revis, Holmes, Keller, Hill.  Bart was on 1 leg, Thomas was roughed up, the WR injuries were a joke.  It was a disaster on multiple levels.

IMHO.....

0-4 wins and he's gone

6 wins and he's back

They're putting together a 3-4 win roster. Six wins doubles expectations and Rex stays.

I would almost believe Idzik wanted to keep Rex if the decision to keep him did not come before the Idzik hire with bold pronouncements from The Tool himself, Woody.  I think keeping Rex was a money idea and a bad one, but if he is a coach Idzik likes, then so be it.  I don't think it is so much a matter of wins as how he runs the team and manages himself in public.  If he is outcoached on the field or outquestioned by the press he is gone.  If he beats  a few teams he should not, and does not lose to any teams that should not lose to, he might stay.  Brrrrr.......

They really don't want him back. So they need

Yes, they don't really want him back. They knew this was a lost season and didn't want to start a off a new coach with it.

They need to make the playoffs, and even then they'd have to be forced to keep him due to public opinion.

IMHO.....

0-4 wins and he's gone

6 wins and he's back

With this talent if he gets 7 he will get a new deal

Right now the Jets look like a 3-4 win team and the early favorites in the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes.

More than wins, Idzik will be monitoring how Rex manages the team . I dont think anyone expects this team to win more than 6 games this year so if it only wins 4 im not sure there is a way to blame this on Rex. If Rex gets the boot it will not be because of his coaching ability on defense it will be because of his many faults that go along with that. He is basically a clone of his father and may always field a good solid defense but the past has shown us Rex;s defenses do not perform at elite levels in the 4th quarter of games. Sure they have the stats and a high ranking but that and a dollar will get ya on the subway.

Archived