Inside how the Revis trade to Tampa Bay finally went down.. great details from peter King

F.Chowds

130422012414-darrelle-revis-single-image
The Jets get the Bucs' No. 13 pick in 2013, and a conditional fourth-rounder in '14, for Darrelle Revis.
Rob Carr/Getty Images

By Sunday morning, the Bucs and Jets had worked out the trade details for Darrelle Revis -- Tampa Bay's first-round pick in this draft and likely a third-rounder next year to New York. The Bucs had a contract done with Revis -- six years, $96 million, none of it guaranteed. But there was no deal yet. Revis had to pass the Tampa Bay physical, and if his surgically repaired knee wasn't healing to the Bucs' liking, this deal wasn't going to get done.

"If the physical doesn't go right, we're sending him home,'' coach Greg Schiano told GM Mark Dominik Sunday morning. Both men agreed on that.

So two Bucs doctors, including head team orthopedist John Zvijac and director of sports medicine Todd Toriscelli, pored over recent MRI results on Revis' left knee, then met with and examined Revis. It went well, a source said, with the doctors satisfied the knee was making good progress. But there are no guarantees for corners coming back from ACL surgeries, and Dominik and Schiano couldn't know unconditionally that Revis' knee would recover to the level it was before he was injured last Sept. 23. Dominik, Schiano and the medical staff met for about 30 minutes without Revis, and then the coach and GM went into a private meeting. In that meeting, as Dominik told me Sunday night, "We decided there was not enough risk to not do it. At the end of the day, you trust your doctors to tell you as much as they can, but it's a decision really that came down to me and Greg. We had to be comfortable with the risk, and I can tell you we are.''

After Dominik and Schiano decided, they met with Revis. The way the contract is structured -- $13 million per year, with $1.5 million in annual roster bonuses and $1.5 million in annual offseason workout bonuses -- the Bucs wanted Revis to know exactly what was expected in this rehab process. They wanted him to rehab in Tampa, and they wanted him to be a full-time offseason workout guy in Tampa.

"I'm all in,'' Revis told them. "I'm a Buccaneer.''

Said Dominik: "You could see how excited he was. The look in his eyes was, 'Coach, I will not let you down.' ''

There were three elements to The Trade That Had To Happen. The contract was a big one. The Bucs knew they were taking a huge leap of faith, paying the 13th pick in this year's draft (Revis was the 14th overall pick six years ago) plus a third-rounder if Revis is on the Tampa Bay roster on the third day of the 2014 league year. (If Tampa Bay cuts Revis after the season, the Bucs will owe New York their fourth-round pick in 2014.) So Dominik told the agents for Revis he was willing to put Revis in the stratosphere with the highest-paid defensive players ever, but he wasn't going to give any guaranteed money in the deal. Dominik was willing to walk away after a year if Revis was damaged goods and not a great player anymore; but if he did, he wanted the penalty to be two high draft choices, not the high picks plus an immense guarantee. If Revis is a top corner, he'll get the money. If not, Tampa's out two good picks and Revis gets to make another deal elsewhere.

The compensation was next. The Jets at one point in the negotiations wanted three picks for Revis -- first-, third-, and fifth-round picks. A week ago, Dominik said he didn't think the deal would get done. But a source with knowledge of the talks said Dominik dug in and drew the line at two picks, and gave the Jets a deadline to get the deal done. (SI.com could not determine what the deadline was, but it had to be some time in the last few days.) Another source said Jets GM John Idzik knew coach Rex Ryan didn't want to trade Revis, and was hoping against hope owner Woody Johnson would reconsider his stance about paying Revis a rich contract to keep him in New York. But that wasn't going to happen ... and Dominik knew he had a solid position. Because the Jets couldn't franchise Revis after the last year of his deal this season, they had to either trade him before the October deadline or get nothing for him but a compensatory draft choice in the 2015 draft.

And the physical was third. Important, but third. Once Revis passed it to Tampa's satisfaction, this was a done deal.

From the Jets' standpoint, if they weren't going to pay Revis, they had to trade him. Simple reason: They couldn't risk Revis going to arch-rival New England in free agency -- or anywhere without compensation -- in 2014. And in that respect, Idzik did a good job in getting the 13th, and, say, 75th picks for a player coming off knee surgery who the team wasn't going to pay, and everyone knew it.

Still, it's a stark reminder that the Jets are rebuilding, and it'd be a huge upset if that rebuilding job doesn't cost Rex Ryan his job. Ryan knows that; everyone does. Ryan craves great cornerbacks more than great quarterbacks, and listening to him trying to be a team guy and go along with the trade Sunday night on a team conference call was awkward to say the least. There's no way he'd have ever chosen trading Revis over re-signing him. But of course, that wasn't his call.

I agree with what Ryan must be thinking, for what it's worth. I understand the Jets could be going through a rebuilding slog. But Revis is 27. All indications are his knee is progressing well, and he'll be the same Revis. One right decision at quarterback in the next 12 months, and the Jets could easily contend by 2015 -- when Revis would still have four or five good years left. I just don't believe in trading great players you work your football career to acquire and develop and nurture. I'd have gone to Revis with a simple proposal: Prove by October 1 your knee is fine, and we'll show you the money, and you'll be our franchise cornerstone, the greatest cornerback in the game in the greatest city in the world. But that's me. Woody Johnson had other ideas. And so, of course, did Idzik.

So Tampa Bay, which had the game's most generous secondary in 2012, will have Revis and Eric Wright at cornerback, with ex-Niner Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron at safety. As of today, the Bucs still need a nickel corner, and they're not sure if Ronde Barber will return. But the secondary has been upgraded in a very big way in a division with Drew BreesMatt Ryan and Cam Newton filling the air with footballs.

"Where Darrelle will be on the day we open camp is on the field,'' said Dominik. "And where he'll be opening day is playing against the Jets. That's what I believe."

Said Ryan: "You look at the big picture. I think this ends up, as in all good trades, one that benefits both teams.''

If it is, the Jets will have to make as good a decision with the 13th overall choice this year as they did with the 14th pick in 2007. You don't find Darrelle Revises in every draft. If he's healthy, Tampa Bay got a great deal.

130422012414-darrelle-revis-single-image
The Jets get the Bucs' No. 13 pick in 2013, and a conditional fourth-rounder in '14, for Darrelle Revis.
Rob Carr/Getty Images

By Sunday morning, the Bucs and Jets had worked out the trade details for Darrelle Revis -- Tampa Bay's first-round pick in this draft and likely a third-rounder next year to New York. The Bucs had a contract done with Revis -- six years, $96 million, none of it guaranteed. But there was no deal yet. Revis had to pass the Tampa Bay physical, and if his surgically repaired knee wasn't healing to the Bucs' liking, this deal wasn't going to get done.

"If the physical doesn't go right, we're sending him home,'' coach Greg Schiano told GM Mark Dominik Sunday morning. Both men agreed on that.

So two Bucs doctors, including head team orthopedist John Zvijac and director of sports medicine Todd Toriscelli, pored over recent MRI results on Revis' left knee, then met with and examined Revis. It went well, a source said, with the doctors satisfied the knee was making good progress. But there are no guarantees for corners coming back from ACL surgeries, and Dominik and Schiano couldn't know unconditionally that Revis' knee would recover to the level it was before he was injured last Sept. 23. Dominik, Schiano and the medical staff met for about 30 minutes without Revis, and then the coach and GM went into a private meeting. In that meeting, as Dominik told me Sunday night, "We decided there was not enough risk to not do it. At the end of the day, you trust your doctors to tell you as much as they can, but it's a decision really that came down to me and Greg. We had to be comfortable with the risk, and I can tell you we are.''

After Dominik and Schiano decided, they met with Revis. The way the contract is structured -- $13 million per year, with $1.5 million in annual roster bonuses and $1.5 million in annual offseason workout bonuses -- the Bucs wanted Revis to know exactly what was expected in this rehab process. They wanted him to rehab in Tampa, and they wanted him to be a full-time offseason workout guy in Tampa.

"I'm all in,'' Revis told them. "I'm a Buccaneer.''

Said Dominik: "You could see how excited he was. The look in his eyes was, 'Coach, I will not let you down.' ''

There were three elements to The Trade That Had To Happen. The contract was a big one. The Bucs knew they were taking a huge leap of faith, paying the 13th pick in this year's draft (Revis was the 14th overall pick six years ago) plus a third-rounder if Revis is on the Tampa Bay roster on the third day of the 2014 league year. (If Tampa Bay cuts Revis after the season, the Bucs will owe New York their fourth-round pick in 2014.) So Dominik told the agents for Revis he was willing to put Revis in the stratosphere with the highest-paid defensive players ever, but he wasn't going to give any guaranteed money in the deal. Dominik was willing to walk away after a year if Revis was damaged goods and not a great player anymore; but if he did, he wanted the penalty to be two high draft choices, not the high picks plus an immense guarantee. If Revis is a top corner, he'll get the money. If not, Tampa's out two good picks and Revis gets to make another deal elsewhere.

The compensation was next. The Jets at one point in the negotiations wanted three picks for Revis -- first-, third-, and fifth-round picks. A week ago, Dominik said he didn't think the deal would get done. But a source with knowledge of the talks said Dominik dug in and drew the line at two picks, and gave the Jets a deadline to get the deal done. (SI.com could not determine what the deadline was, but it had to be some time in the last few days.) Another source said Jets GM John Idzik knew coach Rex Ryan didn't want to trade Revis, and was hoping against hope owner Woody Johnson would reconsider his stance about paying Revis a rich contract to keep him in New York. But that wasn't going to happen ... and Dominik knew he had a solid position. Because the Jets couldn't franchise Revis after the last year of his deal this season, they had to either trade him before the October deadline or get nothing for him but a compensatory draft choice in the 2015 draft.

And the physical was third. Important, but third. Once Revis passed it to Tampa's satisfaction, this was a done deal.

From the Jets' standpoint, if they weren't going to pay Revis, they had to trade him. Simple reason: They couldn't risk Revis going to arch-rival New England in free agency -- or anywhere without compensation -- in 2014. And in that respect, Idzik did a good job in getting the 13th, and, say, 75th picks for a player coming off knee surgery who the team wasn't going to pay, and everyone knew it.

Still, it's a stark reminder that the Jets are rebuilding, and it'd be a huge upset if that rebuilding job doesn't cost Rex Ryan his job. Ryan knows that; everyone does. Ryan craves great cornerbacks more than great quarterbacks, and listening to him trying to be a team guy and go along with the trade Sunday night on a team conference call was awkward to say the least. There's no way he'd have ever chosen trading Revis over re-signing him. But of course, that wasn't his call.

I agree with what Ryan must be thinking, for what it's worth. I understand the Jets could be going through a rebuilding slog. But Revis is 27. All indications are his knee is progressing well, and he'll be the same Revis. One right decision at quarterback in the next 12 months, and the Jets could easily contend by 2015 -- when Revis would still have four or five good years left. I just don't believe in trading great players you work your football career to acquire and develop and nurture. I'd have gone to Revis with a simple proposal: Prove by October 1 your knee is fine, and we'll show you the money, and you'll be our franchise cornerstone, the greatest cornerback in the game in the greatest city in the world. But that's me. Woody Johnson had other ideas. And so, of course, did Idzik.

So Tampa Bay, which had the game's most generous secondary in 2012, will have Revis and Eric Wright at cornerback, with ex-Niner Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron at safety. As of today, the Bucs still need a nickel corner, and they're not sure if Ronde Barber will return. But the secondary has been upgraded in a very big way in a division with Drew BreesMatt Ryan and Cam Newton filling the air with footballs.

"Where Darrelle will be on the day we open camp is on the field,'' said Dominik. "And where he'll be opening day is playing against the Jets. That's what I believe."

Said Ryan: "You look at the big picture. I think this ends up, as in all good trades, one that benefits both teams.''

If it is, the Jets will have to make as good a decision with the 13th overall choice this year as they did with the 14th pick in 2007. You don't find Darrelle Revises in every draft. If he's healthy, Tampa Bay got a great deal.

LOL

A 2014 first rounder is equal to a 2013 second rounder. The original offer WHICH CAME FROM THE BUCS, and was not "originally what the Jets wanted", was basically a 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year. The Jets balked at that offer from all indications the past few weeks. Rightly so, too.

We got the 13th overall this year instead, after Idzik held out for more, which is worth more that all 3 of those picks combined. PLUS they gave us a 4th next year. 

LOL, this article is full of crap.

Week One Scenario:

1st and 10 Ny Jets on their own 20. Someone goes back to pass(insert whatever thrower we got) He's got Holmes in the flat, Holmes immediately goes down and gives up ball.....but the defender is down also. Revis is holding his knee. Holmes is holding his foot. Holmes tells Revis "Shoulda got that guarantee Dawg". Jets proceed to win the next 14 in a row, get to the first cold weather Super Bowl fittingly against the NY Giants, which they lose in a nail biter 6-3 in an amazing snowstorm that allows the game only to be televised in New England. The Jets are then disbanded and renamed the Titans.

Week One Scenario:

1st and 10 Ny Jets on their own 20. Someone goes back to pass(insert whatever thrower we got) He's got Holmes in the flat, Holmes immediately goes down and gives up ball.....but the defender is down also. Revis is holding his knee. Holmes is holding his foot. Holmes tells Revis "Shoulda got that guarantee Dawg". Jets proceed to win the next 14 in a row, get to the first cold weather Super Bowl fittingly against the NY Giants, which they lose in a nail biter 6-3 in an amazing snowstorm that allows the game only to be televised in New England. The Jets are then disbanded and renamed the Titans.

this is not just a week on scenario.....

just thought i'd point that out

Week One Scenario:

Sounds legit.

Maybe we'll get to see both Revis and Holmes hobbling around the field on one leg next to each other.  That would be a treat.

This deserved rep.  Do BG's one-liners get overlooked these days?  Serious question, I haven't been here much lately.

Archived