Same Olde Samchez

Lego My Lageman

From OTAs http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

2. QB competition: It was a blah day for Sanchez and Smith. They weren't great, but they weren't terrible. As usual, Sanchez worked exclusively with the starters, completing four of eight passes with a sack and a near-interception. On a bootleg, he threw a pass into the chest of DE Muhammad Wilkerson, who couldn't hang on to what should've been an easy interception. Smith practiced with the second team, going 4-for-7 with three sacks. Both quarterbacks struggled in seven-on-seven drills, as Sanchez misfired on the last four passes, Smith his final three. The silver living: No turnovers for either quarterback.

Release him now, sign Tavaris Jackson. OUT NOW!

I hope they switch up tomorrow's practice and let Sachez run with the #2 offense.    For all the talk of competition it certainly seems like the QB job has been handed to him so far.    It really is time to make him feel a little discomfort and see how he reacts.  

From OTAs http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

2. QB competition: It was a blah day for Sanchez and Smith. They weren't great, but they weren't terrible. As usual, Sanchez worked exclusively with the starters, completing four of eight passes with a sack and a near-interception. On a bootleg, he threw a pass into the chest of DE Muhammad Wilkerson, who couldn't hang on to what should've been an easy interception. Smith practiced with the second team, going 4-for-7 with three sacks. Both quarterbacks struggled in seven-on-seven drills, as Sanchez misfired on the last four passes, Smith his final three. The silver living: No turnovers for either quarterback.

Release him now, sign Tavaris Jackson. OUT NOW!

Talk about how you can't believe what you read even on an "authoritative" website.  It says here Smith misfired on his final three passes.  Yet multiple people tweeting from practice said that two of Smith's incomplete passes bounced off his receivers' chests.  They are still incomplete passes, but they are in no way "misfires" from Geno.

I don't even have an opinion on Smith as a QB yet, other than he's not Sanchez and that's a huge advantage to start out with in my eyes.  But this is just a completely false statement about the kid.

Talk about how you can't believe what you read even on an "authoritative" website.  It says here Smith misfired on his final three passes.  Yet multiple people tweeting from practice said that two of Smith's incomplete passes bounced off his receivers' chests.  They are still incomplete passes, but they are in no way "misfires" from Geno.

I don't even have an opinion on Smith as a QB yet, other than he's not Sanchez and that's a huge advantage to start out with in my eyes.  But this is just a completely false statement about the kid.

Depends on the throws.  If they were fastball passes a few yards away, then it is on him.  If it were just plain drops, then the receivers suck.  But really, after all is said and done, people will look at the stats.  And if there were far too many incompletions, nobody will care at the end of the year. They will just care that the QBs weren't very good.

sanchez' job is to take the bullets this year, fall on the sword and get cut

I hope nobody out there thinks the jets will win more than 3 games this year

the best thing we can hope for is smith doesn't get ruined

What improvement were you expecting from Sanchez? He's going to start so that Smith can learn and adjust and not be under the pressure to carry a team that he really has no chance to carry. Then Smith will probably take over when the season's lost (I'd guess the week after the bye).

The thing I hate is all these people saying Smith is an air raid QB, he cannot play WCO.  Just how do we know what he cannot do.  He did what was asked of him in college. I say the jury is out on this.  We do not know that Smith can not play a system.  We do know that Sanchez cannot play in any system.

Depends on the throws.  If they were fastball passes a few yards away, then it is on him.  If it were just plain drops, then the receivers suck.  But really, after all is said and done, people will look at the stats.  And if there were far too many incompletions, nobody will care at the end of the year. They will just care that the QBs weren't very good.

In the other thread.  Throws were right there, and went to WRs.  They (allegedly) weren't your garden variety Sanchez 55mph fastballs to Shonn Greene from point blank range (and throwing it that hard over his head leaving no reaction time for a back who's already somewhat challenged catching the ball).

Any first string receivers practicing yet?

Also, Tavaris Jackson is horrible and if they were going to cut Sanchez they would have by now.  Anyone expecting that is lost.

Also, anyone expecting a good season from this team before 2014 is cray cray.

Crazy Carl says you are crazy, yet Crazy Carl is himself crazy...

sanchez' job is to take the bullets this year, fall on the sword and get cut

I hope nobody out there thinks the jets will win more than 3 games this year

the best thing we can hope for is smith doesn't get ruined

Why would Rex even think about starting sanchez  at the start of the season with his job on the

line? I just dont get  what some of you guys here are thinking???  This isnt 1972 where a QB sat on the bench for 2-3 years to get seasoned. Last year 4 rookie QB's started the season for their teams--3 went to the playoffs--2 made the probowl--Luck's Colts won 3 games the year before and he started the season with a God awful O-line--Pro football focus rated the jets O-line last yr  2012 as the 3rd best in the league--and we got better this yr with pick ups Colon and Peterman and more young depth--our running backs are improved --what would Rex Ryan's motivation be to start Mark Sanchez? To Get fired? some of you guys are just stuck in your thinking--did Kim Jones or Fat Francesa put an implant in ur brain? Dont let shleps with communication and journalism degrees tell u what to think when it comes to our Jets--get your expectations up !

I hope they switch up tomorrow's practice and let Sachez run with the #2 offense.    For all the talk of competition it certainly seems like the QB job has been handed to him so far.    It really is time to make him feel a little discomfort and see how he reacts.  

is discomfort going to make him stop the throws to DE's ? I could see if he didnt know the offense as well as he should but it seems to me the guy is still making bad throws.

At first you may think an already established defensive system was having its way with the new offense over all but there is no excuse for these types of throws to happen if no one is open throw the god damn ball out of bounds.

these sacks due to sh*tty OLine or them??

Thats the frustrating part of this whole "QB competition".  No way of knowing how good or bad either QB is.  Oline is going to be a problem in these early camps, as they've stuck guys like Colon and Peterman in there, with rookies rotating...then add to that the fact that the WR's are nobodies and the whole crew is running a brand new offense with the third OC in three years...and they're going against a Rex-run defense.  We won't know crap until midway through the preseason at the earliest.  Boo.

It was open to season ticket holders, was anyone there that can tell us if the WR were just dropping Gino's passes?  Did Sanchez just throw a pass directly into a DE chest, or did Mo drop into the passing lanes? I like to know a little more then just stats at this time of year.

Thats the frustrating part of this whole "QB competition".  No way of knowing how good or bad either QB is.  Oline is going to be a problem in these early camps, as they've stuck guys like Colon and Peterman in there, with rookies rotating...then add to that the fact that the WR's are nobodies and the whole crew is running a brand new offense with the third OC in three years...and they're going against a Rex-run defense.  We won't know crap until midway through the preseason at the earliest.  Boo.

it's not that complicated. If geno was the franchise QB he'd overcome all that and be working with the first team right now. FQB don't need doors opened for them, they kick them down. 

it's not that complicated. If geno was the franchise QB he'd overcome all that and be working with the first team right now. FQB don't need doors opened for them, they kick them down. 

After a rookie training session and a few days of minicamp, total lack of WR's, underperforming line and a brand new offense, nobody's kicking any doors down.  That's utterly impossible.  Same can be said for Sanchez, though.  The playing field is heavily tilted toward the defense at this point.  Pass completions are going to be the exception rather than the rule this early on.  Anyone arguing that Geno should have taken over anything at this point is being a bit premature. 

This is simply not true. Your arbitrary time table for judging his ability to be a franchise QB is 100% subjective to what you think he should be at this time. You don't have enough information to make such a claim. Not even close to enough information.

This is simply not true. Your arbitrary time table for judging his ability to be a franchise QB is 100% subjective to what you think he should be at this time. You don't have enough information to make such a claim. Not even close to enough information.

i learned from the Jetnation podcast that Andrew Luck completed 75% of his practice reps last year. If Sanchez is at 50% and Geno is at 50%, the Jets are picking between two bad options. My whole point isn't that Geno stinks or isn't a FQB just that he should earn the job. It's not some sort of conspiracy that the depth chart is the way it is... look at the schedule. It's easier for the jets to start Sanchez and bench him for Geno late than the opposite.

Conor Orr @ConorTOrr

Geno will take the majority of first team reps today. #nyj
5m
Beat Writer / Columnist

Kicking the door down yet?

Archived