Solving The Goodson Mystery

viguy007

There is every reason to believe Mike Goodson is in Rehab. The team knows where he is, and have no problem with it. They do not talk about it, since as his employer it is illegal to do so. The media is also quiet about this, there are no “where is he” investigations. Mike Goodson of the New York Jets is just not that big, so there is no money in it for gossip tabloids who are willing to pay reporters and paparazzi. While a bona fide journalist has protection under the constitution, as interpreted by the courts, from the non-disclosure laws, the person who leaks a story or provides information to the reporter is not. Whoever gave the reporter information is doing something illegal. They are at risk for punishment by the state, their employer or whatever.

It seems that the case for the gun charges is weak, since the driver of the car told the police the gun was his. So if Goodson has already completed Rehab it is likely there will be no jail time for the Pot found on him. Goodson is being proactive rather than reactive, the team knows this, that is why Rex is not frustrated. Completing Rehab also means the NFL is less likely to suspend him for more then one game, if that.

I use to make referrals to Rehab programs in my job so I would like to explain some things about Rehab programs. You did not have to be an addict to go to rehab. All you had to do was feel that your abuse of a substance was causing a problem in your life and you wanted to stop. In theory, addiction only occurs when there is a physical dependency like heroin or alcohol. But a person could have a psychological dependency, and not be considered an addict. Yet they are having problems because of the abuse. That person should also go into a rehab program, although not an addict. The problem may be getting drunk once a week on Saturday nights. But if you missed work on Sunday, to this extent it was causing problems in your life. If you can not stop this behavior on your own, you should go to rehab. But rehab is very, very expensive since you are an inpatient, so self-help programs, such as AA, exist for problems with a dependancy. But these programs can not work with a true addiction. Their rate of success is not as high for a dependancy as are formal Rehab programs.

A program can be as short as 28 days and as long as a year. It depends on the type and severity of the problem. In Goodson's case there is an indication that it is for both pot and alcohol with alcohol being the greater problem. By law, the Jets can not say he is in rehab, it is a medical problem. The Rehab programs can be modified for special situations, a trainer can be brought in, in fact some type of physical activity is a part of most programs. Goodson has a lot of time for reading and studying the playbook. A program is not prison, and it is not meant to punish, but is client-centric and meant to improve the quality of life. Including running the ball since that is Goodson's job.

People think Rehab is a bad thing, it is not. Rehab is short for rehabilitation and is vindication of a person’s character and the re-establishment of that person’s reputation. It is a good thing not a bad thing. Rehab is nothing more then a period of time for isolation from the people and triggers that cause you to abuse the substance. It is also a chance for the substance to drain from your body and your body to adjust to once again being substance free. Doctors are there so that if you have a physical addiction, not just a dependency, they can treat the side effects of withdrawal (DT's or "delirium tremens in the case of alcohol). These are combined with a education program in order to learn how to avoid the abuse of substance in the future. When completed it is followed by an outpatient program for support and reinforcement. 

The most important thing is the client wants to change their behavior, it can not be forced on someone and be successful. Goodson wanted to change, because of the character defects his usage caused, and that is a good thing.

There is every reason to believe Mike Goodson is in Rehab. The team knows where he is, and have no problem with it. They do not talk about it, since as his employer it is illegal to do so. The media is also quiet about this, there are no “where is he” investigations. Mike Goodson of the New York Jets is just not that big, so there is no money in it for gossip tabloids who are willing to pay reporters and paparazzi. While a bona fide journalist has protection under the constitution, as interpreted by the courts, from the non-disclosure laws, the person who leaks a story or provides information to the reporter is not. Whoever gave the reporter information is doing something illegal. They are at risk for punishment by the state, their employer or whatever.

It seems that the case for the gun charges is weak, since the driver of the car told the police the gun was his. So if Goodson has already completed Rehab it is likely there will be no jail time for the Pot found on him. Goodson is being proactive rather than reactive, the team knows this, that is why Rex is not frustrated. Completing Rehab also means the NFL is less likely to suspend him for more then one game, if that.

I use to make referrals to Rehab programs in my job so I would like to explain some things about Rehab programs. You did not have to be an addict to go to rehab. All you had to do was feel that your abuse of a substance was causing a problem in your life and you wanted to stop. In theory, addiction only occurs when there is a physical dependency like heroin or alcohol. But a person could have a psychological dependency, and not be considered an addict. Yet they are having problems because of the abuse. That person should also go into a rehab program, although not an addict. The problem may be getting drunk once a week on Saturday nights. But if you missed work on Sunday, to this extent it was causing problems in your life. If you can not stop this behavior on your own, you should go to rehab. But rehab is very, very expensive since you are an inpatient, so self-help programs, such as AA, exist for problems with a dependancy. But these programs can not work with a true addiction. Their rate of success is not as high for a dependancy as are formal Rehab programs.

A program can be as short as 28 days and as long as a year. It depends on the type and severity of the problem. In Goodson's case there is an indication that it is for both pot and alcohol with alcohol being the greater problem. By law, the Jets can not say he is in rehab, it is a medical problem. The Rehab programs can be modified for special situations, a trainer can be brought in, in fact some type of physical activity is a part of most programs. Goodson has a lot of time for reading and studying the playbook. A program is not prison, and it is not meant to punish, but is client-centric and meant to improve the quality of life. Including running the ball since that is Goodson's job.

People think Rehab is a bad thing, it is not. Rehab is short for rehabilitation and is vindication of a person’s character and the re-establishment of that person’s reputation. It is a good thing not a bad thing. Rehab is nothing more then a period of time for isolation from the people and triggers that cause you to abuse the substance. It is also a chance for the substance to drain from your body and your body to adjust to once again being substance free. Doctors are there so that if you have a physical addiction, not just a dependency, they can treat the side effects of withdrawal (DT's or "delirium tremens in the case of alcohol). These are combined with a education program in order to learn how to avoid the abuse of substance in the future. When completed it is followed by an outpatient program for support and reinforcement. 

The most important thing is the client wants to change their behavior, it can not be forced on someone and be successful. Goodson wanted to change, because of the character defects his usage caused, and that is a good thing.

Great 2nd post man.  did not know that.   Thanx for that heads up and hopefully it works out.

Having been through 2 rehabs around 20 years ago, I can honestly say that the success of these programs are only as good as the motives you go in with.

My first stint was forced upon me if I wanted to continue my college career. Didn't think I belonged there and after finishing my month and being reinstated went back to what I enjoyed(just more secretively). Second time was at the behest of my ex and again, just doing it to get people off my back. Again, went back to my old ways and, the marriage ended. The day my ex moved out, I realized how many people I had hurt through my addiction and in a moment of absolute clarity I admitted to myself that I was powerless to change, got on my knees and prayed that Jesus would take this burden from me. From that night on (20 years in November) I have not touched a drink or drug. The desire was taken from me. I'm not trying to go religious here, just giving credit where credit is due.

Only an inner change can bring forth a change in character. I hope Goodoen has finally had a moment of clarity, not to just save his butt, but to save his life. The rewards are immeasurable. 

Or it was court ordered that he get treatment and this was more private than a self help group

Having been through 2 rehabs around 20 years ago, I can honestly say that the success of these programs are only as good as the motives you go in with.

My first stint was forced upon me if I wanted to continue my college career. Didn't think I belonged there and after finishing my month and being reinstated went back to what I enjoyed(just more secretively). Second time was at the behest of my ex and again, just doing it to get people off my back. Again, went back to my old ways and, the marriage ended. The day my ex moved out, I realized how many people I had hurt through my addiction and in a moment of absolute clarity I admitted to myself that I was powerless to change, got on my knees and prayed that Jesus would take this burden from me. From that night on (20 years in November) I have not touched a drink or drug. The desire was taken from me. I'm not trying to go religious here, just giving credit where credit is due.

Only an inner change can bring forth a change in character. I hope Goodoen has finally had a moment of clarity, not to just save his butt, but to save his life. The rewards are immeasurable. 

Truer words were never said. I believe Goodson really wants this help, given the way his world was falling apart. 

That's awesome man.  Overcoming addictions always requires faith in SOMETHING more than yourself.

Rehab is a godsend but only for those that genuinely wish to stay drug and alch free.

As a health care provider,over the years I have seen hundreds of men and women mandated to rehab by courts, employers, spouses.

It never works when the only motivation is too save a job, stay out of jail (Goodson?) or keep a marriage intact.

Kinda like hiding behind your mothers skirt till the boogey man goes away.

If not mandated, alot of times it is just done to gain sympathy from the court.

If thats where Goodson is and his only motivation is to try and save his job and stay out of jail he is only fooling himself.

His lawyer could have suggested he go in good faith. Just speaking from experience.

Very true. The important thing is he is a program and getting help for his problem. Of course, it is more noble if everyone says it is not related to his legal problems.

Rehab is a godsend but only for those that genuinely wish to stay drug and alch free.

As a health care provider,over the years I have seen hundreds of men and women mandated to rehab by courts, employers, spouses.

It never works when the only motivation is too save a job, stay out of jail (Goodson?) or keep a marriage intact. All this in one nightmare night.

Kinda like hiding behind your mothers skirt till the boogey man goes away.

If not mandated, alot of times it is just done to gain sympathy from the court.

If thats where Goodson is and his only motivation is to try and save his job and stay out of jail he is only fooling himself.

This is true, but he was mocked for puking all over himself, having to go to the hospital because he was so drunk, possibility of going to jail, and losing your million dollar job. All this in one nightmare night. I think this is enough to cause a person to reevaluate his life and the path he is following. 

Great, informative post!  Thanks.  I hope you will post more.

Sorry to hear that you had to go through that and hurt others, but am glad to hear that you had that moment of clarity and turned your life around!  Congrats!!!!

This is true, but he was mocked for puking all over himself, having to go to the hospital because he was so drunk, possibility of going to jail, and losing your million dollar job. All this in one nightmare night. I think this is enough to cause a person to reevaluate his life and the path he is following. 

Hopefully mostly for his sake, but also for the team's sake, he did, his efforts are sincere, and he will turn his life around.

His lawyer could have suggested he go in good faith. Just speaking from experience.

I think that's pretty much it.

However, he's only 26 and his lawyer is likely middle-aged and educated who can make an impression on him.  Goodson was hanging out drinking all night with his new buddy the drug dealer, who  is a few months out of jail and about to go back into jail for the gun with special bullets.  Plus Goodson got so drunk he puked himself in the car. 

The lawyer might have reached him.

I think that's pretty much it.

However, he's only 26 and his lawyer is likely middle-aged and educated who can make an impression on him.  Goodson was hanging out drinking all night with his new buddy the drug dealer, who  is a few months out of jail and about to go back into jail for the gun with special bullets.  Plus Goodson got so drunk he puked himself in the car. 

The lawyer might have reached him.

Odds are against the kid...wish him luck

I think it's pretty obvious that he's in rehab, and that it's an open secret amongst the press. They're either respecting his privacy in a weird moment of humanity, or the Jets strongly suggested that they respect his privacy or reap the repercussions.

And I don't think he's toast at all. I think he'll play for the Jets this year.

While I hope Goodson beats his addictions, is it selfish for me to care more about his contributions on the field than his personal happiness and well-being?  

Yes.

Also, what is Goodson supposedly addicted to?

If the dude is, in fact, in rehab, then you have to give huge kudos to the Jets organization for not publicizing it or letting it get out. Tannenbaum would have fired off three anonymous press releases by now extolling the benevolent grandeur of his getting a player some help.

I think it's pretty obvious that he's in rehab, and that it's an open secret amongst the press. They're either respecting his privacy in a weird moment of humanity, or the Jets strongly suggested that they respect his privacy or reap the repercussions.

And I don't think he's toast at all. I think he'll play for the Jets this year.

cue the Manish tweet:  "I'm not supposed to say anything BUT, Mike Goodson is in rehab"

If the dude is, in fact, in rehab, then you have to give huge kudos to the Jets organization for not publicizing it or letting it get out. Tannenbaum would have fired off three anonymous press releases by now extolling the benevolent grandeur of his getting a player some help.

According to this poster who used to make Rehab referrals, legally the team had little choice about  not publicizing it.

There is every reason to believe Mike Goodson is in Rehab. The team knows where he is, and have no problem with it. They do not talk about it, since as his employer it is illegal to do so.

While I hope Goodson beats his addictions, is it selfish for me to care more about his contributions on the field than his personal happiness and well-being?  

Yes, but I agree with you.  Whether he cleans himself up or not has no impact or bearing on my life, as my lack of care & concern have no bearing on goodson's life.  just perform or get lost.

Archived