Jets - Giants Game Thread

Larz

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking when geno came back in after the nice drive in the 3rd that a smart coach would sit the entire starting offense, which means rex won't.  I have to say he opened himself up to the media whipping hes going to take

and typical jets, the giants o-line is a mess, the offense is playing poorly, and all anyone will talk about is how idzik and rex are bungling the QB sitch

Rex knows D.  In all other matters, save perhaps pedicures and toe nibbling, Rex is a complete boob.

Are you serious? He went 9-7 with Neil O'Donnell and 8-8 with Rick Mirer and Ray Lucas. He had to trade down because of the cap, the Jets just had the #1 overall pick the year before, and oh yeah he got a pretty good tackle named Jason Fabini, in the 6th round, and Jumbo Elliot as a cheap free agents signing. Two examples of cheap players you can get to help your team, although there were more. Also, all of those coaches give Parcells credit for his effect on their carreers, as does Sean Payton.

Sorry but a lot of this is not correct.

Tuna trading down had nothing to do with salary cap problems. I remember him saying it was because we weren't 1 player away and needed more bodies. It was a disaster.

Fabini was a 4th round pick not a 6th, and he was drafted in 98 not 97 when Parcells first arrived.

Next, in no way did Parcells go out and find Jumbo Elliot and bring him in for cheap. You're just making stuff up now hoping no one else remembers. Tuna inherited Jumbo. He didn't go get him for cheap, and he was not cheap at all. Prior year the Jets spent BIG on a pair of bookend tackles, Jumbo and David Williams.

Tuna had a championship team in 99 and, as a seasoned GM, put less resources in his backup QB than Idzik did in a throwaway season. Rick Mirer, lol.

His first draft, after passing up on drafting TWO HOF LT's (remember we traded down twice), he followed that up with Rick Terry #31 in the country (several picks ahead of where we took Geno) .

Dan Neil should have been our pick in rd 3. He'd traded down 25 slots with Denver, however, and got sh*t picks in return because he couldn't read a chart every single other GM was using. We passed up on Neil so we could draft Dedric Ward and I think Raymond Austin and Chuck Clements.

And Vinny wasn't even Tuna's idea. It was BB's and he had to convince Tuna to grudgingly listen to another person's advice and pick him up.

And lastly, for all his faults, '97 O'Donnell >>>>>>> '13 Sanchez. O'Donnell was a terrible pickup at $5M/yr (crazy money back then), but he was a legitimate starting NFL QB who knew how to not turn the ball over twice a game.

Sorry but a lot of this is not correct.

Tuna trading down had nothing to do with salary cap problems. I remember him saying it was because we weren't 1 player away and needed more bodies. It was a disaster.

Fabini was a 4th round pick not a 6th, and he was drafted in 98 not 97 when Parcells first arrived.

Next, in no way did Parcells go out and find Jumbo Elliot and bring him in for cheap. You're just making stuff up now hoping no one else remembers. Tuna inherited Jumbo. He didn't go get him for cheap, and he was not cheap at all. Prior year the Jets spent BIG on a pair of bookend tackles, Jumbo and David Williams.

Tuna had a championship team in 99 and, as a seasoned GM, put less resources in his backup QB than Idzik did in a throwaway season. Rick Mirer, lol.

His first draft, after passing up on drafting TWO HOF LT's (remember we traded down twice), he followed that up with Rick Terry #31 in the country (several picks ahead of where we took Geno) .

Dan Neil should have been our pick in rd 3. He'd traded down 25 slots with Denver, however, and got sh*t picks in return because he couldn't read a chart every single other GM was using. We passed up on Neil so we could draft Dedric Ward and I think Raymond Austin and Chuck Clements.

And Vinny wasn't even Tuna's idea. It was BB's and he had to convince Tuna to grudgingly listen to another person's advice and pick him up.

And lastly, for all his faults, '97 O'Donnell >>>>>>> '13 Sanchez. O'Donnell was a terrible pickup at $5M/yr (crazy money back then), but he was a legitimate starting NFL QB who knew how to not turn the ball over twice a game.

Are you suggesting that Idzik is better then Parcells? Why do you write novels of mostly untrue information?

Are you suggesting that Idzik is better then Parcells? Why do you write novels of mostly untrue information?

Idzik is already a MUCH better GM than Parcells.  Parcells was a great HC, but he sucked balls at shopping for the groceries.

I'm suggesting Parcells was no great GM for us.

Name one thing I corrected your post on that is wrong.

Leon Johnson wasn't a good draft pick? Some of the low cost vet free agents he signed weren't good? C'mon dude, just because you write 5 pages doesnt mean its true. So ah, yeah, I guess the main point?

Leon Johnson wasn't a good draft pick? Some of the low cost vet free agents he signed weren't good? C'mon dude, just because you write 5 pages doesnt mean its true. So ah, yeah, I guess the main point?

You said what I wrote was mostly untrue information.  Please elaborate and give examples of how over 50% of what I said was untrue.  

Leon Johnson? Leon Johnson was fine.  He was also a backup player for his whole career.  So as long as you bring up Leon Johnson, this year will tell which GM made better use of a 4th round pick on a RB in his first draft.

Problem is we could have come out of that draft with Peyton Manning.  He told Archie he wasn't taking a QB, even his son (despite this supposedly-awful QB situation he was walking into), and Manning stayed in Tennessee for another year.  Then we're looking at Orlando Pace.  We pass up on him and trade down.  Now we're looking at Walter Jones.  He passes up on HIM and trades down yet again.  Picks James Farrior who he played for 1 year, somewhat out of position outside in a 3-4, and then benched.  Never looked into moving his #8 overall draft pick inside, where he would later become a star player, even when Marvin Jones went out for the year.  

He stepped in sh*t with Ray Lucas being able to fake his way through 2/3 of one season.  Otherwise that 8-8 record, with an otherwise championship team, would have looked more like the 2012 Jets record or worse with Mirer going the rest of the way.  Hell, even Tuna didn't give Lucas a try until he was convinced the season was over so what the hell he always liked the kid.  If he actually knew, then Lucas would have been in there the whole time instead of watching the season go down the tubes with his hand-picked #2 QB Mirer.

The main point is Tuna was vastly overrated as a GM.  Idzik may prove to be 10x worse than Tannenbaum.  But by comparing him to Parcells, who came into a MUCH better situation and was a disaster on draft day until the 1 year he piled up 4 first round picks, you are actually setting the bar kind of low.

Who guts a team in the era of free agency? lol His signings, trades and late round picks were all bad.

Yeah right.  Whatever.  May I suggest rooting for another team?  You sure don't seem to like or know anything about this one.

I need a new hobby on Sundays. Maybe hanging myself.

we should start a band Slats-maybe we can figure out a way to do it online with each musician using his laptop. What do you play besides guitar? My son is a damn good keyboardist and I can sing a little and play some so-so guitar

You said what I wrote was mostly untrue information.  Please elaborate and give examples of how over 50% of what I said was untrue.  

Leon Johnson? Leon Johnson was fine.  He was also a backup player for his whole career.  So as long as you bring up Leon Johnson, this year will tell which GM made better use of a 4th round pick on a RB in his first draft.

Problem is we could have come out of that draft with Peyton Manning.  He told Archie he wasn't taking a QB, even his son (despite this supposedly-awful QB situation he was walking into), and Manning stayed in Tennessee for another year.  Then we're looking at Orlando Pace.  We pass up on him and trade down.  Now we're looking at Walter Jones.  He passes up on HIM and trades down yet again.  Picks James Farrior who he played for 1 year, somewhat out of position outside in a 3-4, and then benched.  Never looked into moving his #8 overall draft pick inside, where he would later become a star player, even when Marvin Jones went out for the year.  

He stepped in sh*t with Ray Lucas being able to fake his way through 2/3 of one season.  Otherwise that 8-8 record, with an otherwise championship team, would have looked more like the 2012 Jets record or worse with Mirer going the rest of the way.  Hell, even Tuna didn't give Lucas a try until he was convinced the season was over so what the hell he always liked the kid.  If he actually knew, then Lucas would have been in there the whole time instead of watching the season go down the tubes with his hand-picked #2 QB Mirer.

The main point is Tuna was vastly overrated as a GM.  Idzik may prove to be 10x worse than Tannenbaum.  But by comparing him to Parcells, who came into a MUCH better situation and was a disaster on draft day until the 1 year he piled up 4 first round picks, you are actually setting the bar kind of low.

LOL. You think Chris Ivory is good? Did you even watch the game last night. My point was, Parcells took a 1-15 team in a bad cap situation and they went 9-7, and that no one guts teams in the NFL with the cap, they can atleast get a few contributors for cheap. All of Idziks pick ups, with the exception of Sheldon Richardson look terrible. You can't totally strike out like this, even in your first year, with a bad cap situation.

Archived