Richardson vs. Revis

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this thread is called Richardson vs Revis. Who would you rather have straight up? I don't want to talk about who will be better in 5 years or who is the better value. You guys all made a dumb assessment and I am correcting you. That's my agenda. You can thank me later.

Ummm, as the guy who started the thread I think I made it pretty clear in my original post. 

Richardson is a significantly better value than Revis for the Jets and oh by the way, if both of them play the same way as they did yesterday for the rest of the year, Richardson's relative value over Revis will be exponential. 

Revis thought he could hold up this franchise over and over and Idzik and Woody told him GFY and went out and got a 1st round pick when only one team was bidding for his services and then used that pick to get a stud whom they will pay 6 million dollars less over the next four years than the Bucs will pay Revis this year. 

The bottom line is neither of these teams is winning the SB this year so who would you rather have to build around? A 28-year-old selfish prick who, while a great, great player, will always insist on a ridiculous salary that hamstrings you from getting other players to improve your team, or a 22-year-old monster who makes a reasonable salary that gives you the flexibility to build your team?

I know you have an unhealthy, inane hatred for John Idzik but he made a phenomenal move that five years from now could be enormous for this franchise.

guys think about it would you rather pay $90k for a 2007 Porsche with a new transmission or $15k for a new house in a nice part of town? not even talking about value, its just science

If where getting to pick choices on made up fantasy land scenarios. I choose scenario C, give the Pick back to the Bucs, Jets take Richardson at 9th overall, and the Jets take the money they are paying Holmes, and Sanchez this season, and use it to pay Revis for this year, and next year (considering Revis' money is already counting against our salary cap this year, so next year the extra money could be used to pay Revis 16 million by not having those 2 idiots on our salary cap this season).  Then revisit the Revis situation after the 2014 season with possibly a 2nd Lombardi trophy on display at 1 Florham Park Dr. after the Jets signed S Donte Whitner, OT M Oher, and WR H Nicks in Free Agency, and drafted WR Sammy Watkins, and RB Lasche Seastrunk in the 1st 2 rounds of the NFL draft to complement the greatness that QB Geno Smith becomes in the 2014 season!

Love making up fantasy scenarios, so much fun!

So he's been back practicing for basically 1 week after missing 2/3 of last season.  97% of his physical exertion for the past 10-11 months has been rehab/physical therapy.  Why on earth would anyone expect him to be any less than 100%? A ludicrous insinuation, in light of the team saying he's 50/50 to play, Holmes himself saying he's not 100% and didn't know what week he'd even return.  Then there's that other thing, that no skill position player (WR, RB, CB types) ever been able to come back from this type of injury and be the same player as he was before.

I dismiss that, in the absence of any proof or even so much as a rumor, that everything that we know must be a lie to fulfill a weak online argument.

I responded to your post about Holmes statements. You should of made the post above your initial post. Players making statements about their health is not proof of anything one way or the other.

Revis at $16M/year, every year

or

Richardson + $13.5M/year in cap room

Only Tampa Bay would make that move (now that Al Davis is dead) and it was only with 1 year of guarantees so they could reach the minimum required to spend for 2013.

Long-term, no one would make that move.

I was looking for this post. This.

Superunit DL FTMFW

I can't wait to see where Richardson is at the end of the season. 

Just realized the title...still Revis by a gazillion miles. One game doesn't do much.

Read the first post. The question isn't who the better player is, It's who the better value is and what their long term relative impact on their respective teams will be.

I responded to your post about Holmes statements. You should of made the post above your initial post. Players making statements about their health is not proof of anything one way or the other.

Holmes was not playing at 100% of his old self.  It didn't need qualifiers to me.  Think of all the players - HEALTHY ONES - who use the months of camp & off-season to get into football shape, practice with the team, practice the new system, etc.  If Holmes was at 100% in week 1, that is tantamount to saying there is no point of having training camp or pre-season games except to teach rookies and other lesser-experienced players.  That is untrue on its face, as I'm sure you know.  

Well Holmes missed everything (except for lightly working out the prior week) and it is unlikely that he is exactly at 100% of what he used to be physically.  It goes without saying that he's not at 100% of what he used to be (or what he may be even in a few weeks) just being away from the field for so long.

All this was about is someone asserting that Revis blanketing Holmes, seeing the field in his first live action since getting his foot tendons ripped out, was 100% the player he always was so he can say Revis was as good as Revis always was.  He may be and he may not be.  Santonio Holmes at under 100% - or even AT 100% - is hardly the measuring stick by which all #1 WRs are judged.  And this is to show how Revis is - money aside - more valuable than another player.  He may be and he may not be.  But this game, where a rusty Santonio only caught 1 pass from a - let's face it, unready - QB, proves little.  

I further dismiss bit's biased "take my word for it" when he seems to be wrong about almost everything that requires some type of individual judgment.  He's getting backlash on the board, from many here, for speaking as though he's an authority on the certainty all uncertain things, never with any air of a "wait and see" attitude, and is so often so horribly wrong.  That, and he's been trolling the board purely for the sake of arguing with Jets fans here - and admitted as much - this offseason.  We knew what he was doing without his admission, so I think the response is natural.

So as I was saying, I find it ludicrous to believe that this past Sunday we saw Santonio Holmes at his very, very best ("at 100%"). 

Read the first post. The question isn't who the better player is, It's who the better value is and what their long term relative impact on their respective teams will be.

No, no, no.

We need to sign 6 absolutely awesome guys to $10-14M/year deals ($16M for Revis), and bypass first round picks in doing so.  Then another $2-3M/year for another 7 players.  Then the other ~40 roster spots we fill with the remaining $20M in cap room (basically at the league minimum but almost all will be rookies or guys with only 1 year of experience because their minimum salary will be too high for guys with 2+ years of experience).  We'll be great!!

Oh, and we should sign these people to these deals - and bypass the #1 and other good/high picks we could have instead - while the player isn't doing much more than walking on a treadmill and his last NFL action was pre-major-knee-surgery.  That always works out.  I've seen so many SB winners do that very thing.

Richardson plus $13.5M per year in cap room is more likely to be of greater overall benefit than Revis eating up $16M per year in cap room.  Particularly to a team in year 1 of a massive rebuild.

Well when you put it that way then still give me Revis. 

Believe me, I love that Richardson is cheap too. There are few things I want more than allowing Mr. Johnson to save up his money. OTOH, Revis is really, really, really, really, really, really great. 

Well when you put it that way then still give me Revis. 

Believe me, I love that Richardson is cheap too. There are few things I want more than allowing Mr. Johnson to save up his money. OTOH, Revis is really, really, really, really, really, really great. 

With all due respect, how do you get the feeling that Johnson got rid of Revis to save money?  Had you checked our salary cap year in year out? Money is not issue with the Jets.  The problem is investing the money wisely.  I think it was a great move by the team to get Richardson for Revis.  I mean look, how many times Revis felt to take the team hostage with his money demand every two years, disrupting the team?  You want to pay a CB, a QB type money coming back from ACL?  That dough will do wonder for a couple true WR next year.  If Rex is still around which I definitely hope since It doesn't matter if you give him 11 orange to work on defense.  He will find a way to put at the least, a respectable defense. 

With all due respect, how do you get the feeling that Johnson got rid of Revis to save money?  Had you checked our salary cap year in year out? Money is not issue with the Jets.  The problem is investing the money wisely.  I think it was a great move by the team to get Richardson for Revis.  I mean look, how many times Revis felt to take the team hostage with his money demand every two years, disrupting the team?  You want to pay a CB, a QB type money coming back from ACL?  That dough will do wonder for a couple true WR next year.  If Rex is still around which I definitely hope since It doesn't matter if you give him 11 orange to work on defense.  He will find a way to put at the least, a respectable defense. 

If the Jets are paying two WRs what Revis will get next year, they're probably overpaying the crap out of [at least] one of them. Can I just give one Jimmy Graham that 16 million? 

You sound like Cubs fans who somehow have convinced themselves that the goal is roster payroll efficiency. The goal over this year (and the past three for the Cubs) is to reset for a future inefficient payroll that is better than the last inefficient payroll. Hell, the Jets' biggest problem the last few years can probably be traced to how bad the '08 and '09 drafts turned out to be. Sanchez and Gholston got two of the biggest contracts on the team right out of college and both bombed.

Also, if they keep Revis they probably just take Richardson at 9. Drop or trade Cromartie in the offseason or after the 2013/2014 season and get someone cheap on the other side of Revis...That's all water under the bridge of course. 

If the Jets are paying two WRs what Revis will get next year, they're probably overpaying the crap out of [at least] one of them. Can I just give one Jimmy Graham that 16 million? 

You sound like Cubs fans who somehow have convinced themselves that the goal is roster payroll efficiency. The goal over this year (and the past three for the Cubs) is to reset for a future inefficient payroll that is better than the last inefficient payroll. Hell, the Jets' biggest problem the last few years can probably be traced to how bad the '08 and '09 drafts turned out to be. Sanchez and Gholston got two of the biggest contracts on the team right out of college and both bombed.

Also, if they keep Revis they probably just take Richardson at 9. Drop or trade Cromartie in the offseason or after the 2013/2014 season and get someone cheap on the other side of Revis...That's all water under the bridge of course. 

No, the goal is having enough money to pay for all the things you need. The best corner in history is not worth 6 times a Pro-Bowl DT. Especially when you can take the additional 13.5 million you are not paying Revis and use that to get a RB, WR and maybe even a LB. 

If the Jets take that extra money and next year are paying four good to very good starters what they were paying Revis they will be a lot closer to being a SB contender than they would be if they just had Revis. 

This isn't rocket science. Stud CBs are nice to have, but you only need good ones to win a Super Bowl.

Eh....

Payrolls will always be unbalanced, but if the big money is going to your QB and pass rushers, it's probably not too inefficient. They look like they've drafted some solid DL over the last few years who will probably command a big chunk of the future cap, the key is finding the QB worthy of being the team's highest paid player. If Geno turns out to be that guy, the Jets are in awesome shape right now.

The problem with the Jets' drafting and payroll has been the complete lack of depth. Trading away too many picks (and spending big money), rather than filling out the roster with low cost quality. Those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks are critical (which is why I hated seeing Idzik trade another 4th away). The best rosters in the NFL have a lot of underpaid guys. You can only achieve that thru good drafting.

Eh....

Payrolls will always be unbalanced, but if the big money is going to your QB and pass rushers, it's probably not too inefficient. They look like they've drafted some solid DL over the last few years who will probably command a big chunk of the future cap, the key is finding the QB worthy of being the team's highest paid player. If Geno turns out to be that guy, the Jets are in awesome shape right now.

The problem with the Jets' drafting and payroll has been the complete lack of depth. Trading away too many picks (and spending big money), rather than filling out the roster with low cost quality. Those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks are critical (which is why I hated seeing Idzik trade another 4th away). The best rosters in the NFL have a lot of underpaid guys. You can only achieve that thru good drafting.

The key is drafting and developing players that replace marginal players who will require larger salaries once heir rookie deals expire. You have to identify players who are contributors to your future, as well players that are pretenders and can be replaced.

The Jets have been far too loyal, and far too inefficient in finding replacements

The key is drafting and developing players that replace marginal players who will require larger salaries once heir rookie deals expire. You have to identify players who are contributors to your future, as well players that are pretenders and can be replaced.

The Jets have been far too loyal, and far too inefficient in finding replacements

The problem has been finding the replacements. It's not like the Jets have released a lot of quality guys because they were being too loyal to certain other guys. Sanchez is still here because Tebow and McElroy weren't good enough to unseat him, Ducasse is starting because they don't have anyone better. Once the quality replacements start coming in, the loyalty "problem" will evaporate.

The problem has been finding the replacements. It's not like the Jets have released a lot of quality guys because they were being too loyal to certain other guys. Sanchez is still here because Tebow and McElroy weren't good enough to unseat him, Ducasse is starting because they don't have anyone better. Once the quality replacements start coming in, the loyalty "problem" will evaporate.

If you're not benching Sanchez for his play the last two years, and you're not benching Holmes after the Philly game or reprimanding him after the Miami meltdown, you either have a loyalty problem or you're just plain scared of your players. Rex has the same fatal problem Herm had: he wants to be class president.

If you're not benching Sanchez for his play the last two years, and you're not benching Holmes after the Philly game or reprimanding him after the Miami meltdown, you either have a loyalty problem or you're just plain scared of your players. Rex has the same fatal problem Herm had: he wants to be class president.

Will anyone be sadder than you if the Jets somehow manage to win tomorrow night?

BENCH SANCHEZ FOR WHO?

As bad as Sanchez is, he still was clearly our best option at QB the last two years. 

Archived