Hakeem Nicks available

Gastineau Lives

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5136/hakeem-nicks

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders Monday that the Giants are willing to listen to offers for Hakeem Nicks.

This comes directly on the heels of a Jason La Canfora report that "several teams" are preparing offers in an effort to acquire Nicks from the 0-6 Giants. The G-Men can plug Rueben Randle into the X receiver position across from Victor Cruz, and likely not lose much. "They are not shopping him," Schefter said of Nicks, who's in a contract year. "Will they listen to offers? Yes."

What do we think? Should we even be buyers this year?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patriots are definitely going to be calling.

I would suspect so.   It would be a good trade for everyone.  Pats have the QB, need someone to catch the ball.

Not sure I would do a deal if I'm Idzik.  Going to require a fairly high draft pick for a guy with 1 year on his contract.  Jets don't know if they have a QB, and might have to go there again early next year.

We gave up picks for Ivory when it looks like anyone on this forum could run for mega yardage behind the Saints line. We also should have a ton of comp picks and a very high 3rd for Revis. I dont see why you dont go and try to trade for a WR right now.

I'd give up a 5th if he somehow decides to be healthy, actually participates in practice and only wants $7 million or less per year. He's worth between $7-8 if he can actually stay healthy, to me he's the more talented of the Giants' receivers, but the fact of the matter is he doesn't practice and he's always hurt. The only way you give up a 5th is if you know you can sign him long-term and the only way I sign him long term is if he's willing to take Cruz, Austin type money at 7-8 a year.

I'd give up a 5th if he somehow decides to be healthy, actually participates in practice and only wants $7 million or less per year. He's worth between $7-8 if he can actually stay healthy, to me he's the more talented of the Giants' receivers, but the fact of the matter is he doesn't practice and he's always hurt. The only way you give up a 5th is if you know you can sign him long-term and the only way I sign him long term is if he's willing to take Cruz, Austin type money at 7-8 a year.

The Giants will never take a 5th you want Nicks get ready to anty up a 1-2 or 3.

The Giants will never take a 5th you want Nicks get ready to anty up a 1-2 or 3.

Then you simply do not make the trade: a 3 is pushing it, a 1 or a 2 is downright insane.  Nicks is a free agent next year and all signs point towards the Giants letting him walk and replacing him with Randle, so getting anything for him, especially in a lost season, is a bonus.  Seeing as how the team who trades for him needs to sign him to a long-term deal or essentially lose the pick they traded away, the best they can hope for is a conditional 5th that could escalate to a 4th.  I'm not sure you really understand how valuable picks are and giving them up for a one-year rental, during a rebuilding year is no ideal.  

You don't get a high pick for a rental player in the last year of his deal. At best, the Giants would get a third day pick and possibly a conditional future pick based on production.

I would assume if we actually made this trade we would lock him up long-term. The compensation (for the trade) would have to be pretty low. He won't have any incentive to sign with us cheaper off of this trade than he would sign for in FA next year, unless he really wants off the Giants right now. With plenty of draft picks and cap room next year, we can address the needs at WR/TE next year. Unless the team is really high on Nicks or Idzik is confident this team has playoff potential, which I'm not sure he should be, it doesn't make sense to pay a premium for a WR this year. There's a possiblity we could simply acquire him in FA next year if nobody else bites.

I think Nicks could be could for us, but this team isnt a win now team anyway. Why give up high draft picks for someone you can have in free agency?

The only reason you do it is to get first crack at signing him to that long-term deal, presumably one that is already worked out prior to the trade.  I believe you'd still have the option to franchise him, so you still hold some of the leverage in negotiations.  As Tom mentioned previously, Nicks seems to believe he's worth about $10 million per season; if he enters free agency with that attitude, he'll find teams as receptive as they were to Greg Jennings who settled for less than his desired $11.  The going rate is going to be 5-6 years at $7-8 million per with about $18 million guaranteed, which I think would be fair for his caliber of player, but he's probably gonna be like jennings and look for Wallace and Harvin type money.

Then you simply do not make the trade: a 3 is pushing it, a 1 or a 2 is downright insane.  Nicks is a free agent next year and all signs point towards the Giants letting him walk and replacing him with Randle, so getting anything for him, especially in a lost season, is a bonus.  Seeing as how the team who trades for him needs to sign him to a long-term deal or essentially lose the pick they traded away, the best they can hope for is a conditional 5th that could escalate to a 4th.  I'm not sure you really understand how valuable picks are and giving them up for a one-year rental, during a rebuilding year is no ideal.  

Do teams really use high draft picks (Randle) to build depth and have available to plug and play when the original high draft pick (Nicks) walks or maybe even fleece another desperate team into trading a pick for him?

Novel concept.  Wish my team followed this approach.

Archived