With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the NY Jets Select?

Lupz27

You're right, people usually consider Oakland the divisional winner back in 2001. No teams ever get lucky in the NFL. Ever.

The Giants werent lucky.  It was their skill that made Kyle Williams fumble, twice to send them to the Super Bowl.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Giants werent lucky.  It was their skill that made Kyle Williams fumble, twice to send them to the Super Bowl.

ACH I was posting about this. GET OUT OF MY HEAD. And...you forgot that Gronkowski really was worthless to the Pats in the Super Bowl. He was their biggest weapon that year. He's at anything close to 100 percent, they lose.

ACH I was posting about this. GET OUT OF MY HEAD. And...you forgot that Gronkowski really was worthless to the Pats in the Super Bowl. He was their biggest weapon that year. He's at anything close to 100 percent, they lose.

Well, clearly the Giants superior coaching is the reason Gronk was injured.

You're right, people usually consider Oakland the divisional winner back in 2001. No teams ever get lucky in the NFL. Ever.

How did you get those Coors Lite can and bottle to be on my posts?

Thanks, I love it

How did you get those Coors Lite can and bottle to be on my posts?

Thanks, I love it

I'm not responsible for the Coors Lite sig, but I respect any man who stands by their beer, as sh*tty as it may be, as steadfast as you have. True story: I had an uncle who swore by genny lite (i know) and said he could pick out his beer if blindfolded, so one day during a family summer party about a half dozen of my uncles were blindfolded and had a beer taste test. As the story goes, on his first beer, he takes a sip and gasps "ughh, that's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted, who would drink this!?" Turned out to be Genny lite. He hasn't had a sip of it in 15 years. 

I'm not responsible for the Coors Lite sig, but I respect any man who stands by their beer, as sh*tty as it may be, as steadfast as you have. True story: I had an uncle who swore by genny lite (i know) and said he could pick out his beer if blindfolded, so one day during a family summer party about a half dozen of my uncles were blindfolded and had a beer taste test. As the story goes, on his first beer, he takes a sip and gasps "ughh, that's the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted, who would drink this!?" Turned out to be Genny lite. He hasn't had a sip of it in 15 years. 

Great story. Here in upstate NY, we actually drink alot of GENNY CREAM ALE. Its actually pretty good beer, and the other thing we have now is many new Micro-breweries. Around where I live in the Finger-lakes, we have a BEER trail. It doesnt get any better than that, drive around the Finger lakes, taste all these brews, and get bombed for free, especially when you are used to drinking Coors lite like me.

Anyway, the mystery continues on how my posts now have those Coors Lite items. Must be one of the administrators or moderators, but its cool.

Now, what were we arguing about the Jets? Oh yeah, Johnny Jet, I mean Manziel.

Any person who would rather play for a 'contender' as a backup for years isn't exactly a good sign.    There are players who did sit for years, but it wasn't by choice.  Rodgers still has a chip on his shoulder to this day for being taken so late and he wasn't happy just being a backup to Favre.     Sometimes you want a QB who shows signs of being a leader and wants to take the bull by its horns.   If this guy thinks doing this will make him slide into later rounds and wind up sitting for a few years behind the Mannings, Brees, Brady's of the world,  I'm not sure the guy will be anything other than a backup in his career.    QBs need to want to win and play now no matter what.   It's one thing to not want to play for the Colts or the Chargers (Elway or Eli Manning), it's another to not even want to show teams picking early that you are worth a top 20 pick.

Yeah, disagree completely. Smart athletes, that understand it's a business and if managed properly they can retire by 40 and never work again, look for situations where they'd be set up for long-term success. Not just "getting the starting job" short term for a mess of an organization, but instead finding yourself as part of an organization that sustains a high level of success. 

This about how we churn and burn and never find the right QB, a lot of has to do with player development - or lack thereof. If I'm a capable college player, I want to avoid teams like the Jets that own a legacy of ruining QBs.

What I don't understand is why Pittsburgh and Baltimore - teams that beat the Jets - have the same record and yet draft ahead of Jets. I would look to FA for a WR (Golden Tate?) an select the BAP in round one. I like Ebron, the TE from NC, who I think will be taken by NE to replace Aaron Hernandez who will be turning big rocks into little ones for a long time figuratively. I also like Jordan Matthews of Vandy at WR, but he maybe doesn't have first round grade. Idzik did a good job in his first draft and he should lock Rex in a closet somewhere while he makes the picks that upgrades the Jets OFFENSIVE personnel.

What I don't understand is why Pittsburgh and Baltimore - teams that beat the Jets - have the same record and yet draft ahead of Jets.

IIRC, the tiebreaker for the draft's purposes is not head to head record; it's schedule strength.  The easier the schedule the earlier you draft.  The AFC East had to face the NFC West (arguably the best division), so our schedule was tougher.

IIRC, the tiebreaker for the draft's purposes is not head to head record; it's schedule strength.  The easier the schedule the earlier you draft.  The AFC East had to face the NFC West (arguably the best division), so our schedule was tougher.

NFC South

And it goes to show you the Jets had the toughest schedule out of all the 8-8 teams except the Dolphins, and the worst talent hands down of all the 8-8 teams, and guys wanted our HC fired yet all the other teams who went 8-8 had HC's not even thought of about being fired.

If he declares for the draft, and the Jets get a proven veteran QB who isn't using a walker to compete with G Smith, and be an A. Smith type game manager. I would have to seriously consider drafting Brett Hundley with the 18th pick if he is still on the board. Kid has all the tools an NFL QB needs, he is 6'3", 225, runs like Cam Newton, powerful, and can break away once at full speed, big NFL arm. He would have to sit for a year probably 2, but with G Smith, and a decent Vet game manager I think it would be worth taking a chance on developing a kid who could end up being the best QB from this draft 5 years from now even thou he won't give you immediate return like a Bridgewater will.

Best case scenario, Jets have a A Smith, C Kaepernick situation, and can also use him in a power read option formation on the goaline like the Panthers use C Newton to help with our red zone offense while he is developing the 1st year, or 2 on the bench.

Also like Bishop Sankey as a 3 down back who is comparable to a slower L McCoy, very shifty, and powerful who can make people miss in small spaces, and could be available with the. 3rd rounder the Jets get from TB.

If he declares for the draft, and the Jets get a proven veteran QB who isn't using a walker to compete with G Smith, and be an A. Smith type game manager. I would have to seriously consider drafting Brett Hundley with the 18th pick if he is still on the board. Kid has all the tools an NFL QB needs, he is 6'3", 225, runs like Cam Newton, powerful, and can break away once at full speed, big NFL arm. He would have to sit for a year probably 2, but with G Smith, and a decent Vet game manager I think it would be worth taking a chance on developing a kid who could end up being the best QB from this draft 5 years from now even thou he won't give you immediate return like a Bridgewater will.

Best case scenario, Jets have a A Smith, C Kaepernick situation, and can also use him in a power read option formation on the goaline like the Panthers use C Newton to help with our red zone offense while he is developing the 1st year, or 2 on the bench.

Also like Bishop Sankey as a 3 down back who is comparable to a slower L McCoy, very shifty, and powerful who can make people miss in small spaces, and could be available with the. 3rd rounder the Jets get from TB.

They're not taking a project at #18... We all ready had on from pick #38 last year.... a lot of holes to fill with NFL ready talent.

And it goes to show you the Jets had the toughest schedule out of all the 8-8 teams except the Dolphins, and the worst talent hands down of all the 8-8 teams, and guys wanted our HC fired yet all the other teams who went 8-8 had HC's not even thought of about being fired.

+1

They're not taking a project at #18... We all ready had on from pick #38 last year.... a lot of holes to fill with NFL ready talent.

Sometimes when an opportunity like this presents itself at the QB position you have to look long term, and pull the trigger. We already went the win now way, it failed miserably, and set the franchise back 3 years so far, possibly more, and if you think a TE, or WR in the 1st round is guaranteed to be an NFL ready talent your sadly mistaken. TBH at 18 odds are you won't pick a NFL ready player unless its a Solid pick that is what he is solid, and won't get much better like a 4-3 OLB.

Nobody is sold on G Smith as the future, so you should not pass on a QB at any place in the draft that you think could be your franchise QB someday even if it takes 3-4 years like A Rodgers.

Sometimes when an opportunity like this presents itself at the QB position you have to look long term, and pull the trigger. We already went the win now way, it failed miserably, and set the franchise back 3 years so far, possibly more, and if you think a TE, or WR in the 1st round is guaranteed to be an NFL ready talent your sadly mistaken. TBH at 18 odds are you won't pick a NFL ready player unless its a Solid pick that is what he is solid, and won't get much better like a 4-3 OLB.

Nobody is sold on G Smith as the future, so you should not pass on a QB at any place in the draft that you think could be your franchise QB someday even if it takes 3-4 years like A Rodgers.

To a certain extent I agree, but I also agree with the "project" comment, and the fact that we have a fultime project right now in Smith.

I would either like to see them trade up and get a REAL QB, who is ready, or simply use the pick on need and use the 3rd or 4th round for a "project" QB, who STILL would probably be better than the guy we have now.

Tough call, but I dont think Idzik is ready to hang his GM future on a guy that emulates his predecessor who got the last GM fired, not that Idzik would ever listen to REX, like TANNY did and give the worst starting QB in the NFL an extension after 3 years of just awful football.

I know there's a chance I'm going to get jumped on for bashing Saint Mike but I have to say it....the more I read stuff like this and the more I see him on SNY waxing poetic about his love for Santonio Holmes and how misunderstood Holmes is, the more I'm glad Westhof is gone.

I'm glad every time he's talking about Mike Tomlin and calls him Tomlinson lol.

To a certain extent I agree, but I also agree with the "project" comment, and the fact that we have a fultime project right now in Smith.

I would either like to see them trade up and get a REAL QB, who is ready, or simply use the pick on need and use the 3rd or 4th round for a "project" QB, who STILL would probably be better than the guy we have now.

Tough call, but I dont think Idzik is ready to hang his GM future on a guy that emulates his predecessor who got the last GM fired, not that Idzik would ever listen to REX, like TANNY did and give the worst starting QB in the NFL an extension after 3 years of just awful football.

I don't get this "take some 3rd or 4th round" QB and use them as some project QB.    For every Brady or Wilson there are far more crap QBs who never see the light of day.  It's easy to say "so and so is a Bust" because they were taken early.   People just forget about all the guys nobody ever cared about because they were taken in the 4th round.

As far as other comments around Favre & Rodgers and A.Smith & Kapernick,  well Favre was a HOF QB and they got lucky Rodgers dropped so far and they were attempting to look down the road.  Favre hated it and to this day those two don't really seem to speak.   But the Packers were still a winning team who could have won another super bowl if it weren't for Favre and his interceptions.     The 49ers and A.Smith were like the Jets and Sanchez.  He was a first round pick that sucked.  He was a bust.  He was hated far more than people hate Sanchez.   And the guy lost his job over and over.   Harbaugh didn't even want him, but gave him another chance because Kapernick was more of a project and raw.      

If Sanchez played this season and the Jets went 8-8 and Geno sat for a year, it would be like the 49ers situation.     Drafting some other kid who sits behind Geno Smith for a year makes little sense.   Especially if they draft somebody in the 1st or 2nd round.  It would be the Sanchez vs Tebow situation all over again.

If Idzik really things Geno stinks and they need a QB,  then they should take a QB in the first round.    But if Idzik thinks Geno has some potential, it's pointless to draft a QB anywhere instead of trying to improve the team with talented players at other positions.  I mean instead of taking some project QB in the 4th round they got Chris Ivory as a RB.  Years ago they picked Leon Washington in the 4th round. And so it goes.   Why waste a pick on a project who might never see the light of day over a player who can actually contribute now.  I mean the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley in the 4th round.   Does he really serve a purpose on that team?  Who would you rather have a Ivory or Washington or some practice squad like QB who is a project?

I don't get this "take some 3rd or 4th round" QB and use them as some project QB.    For every Brady or Wilson there are far more crap QBs who never see the light of day.  It's easy to say "so and so is a Bust" because they were taken early.   People just forget about all the guys nobody ever cared about because they were taken in the 4th round.

As far as other comments around Favre & Rodgers and A.Smith & Kapernick,  well Favre was a HOF QB and they got lucky Rodgers dropped so far and they were attempting to look down the road.  Favre hated it and to this day those two don't really seem to speak.   But the Packers were still a winning team who could have won another super bowl if it weren't for Favre and his interceptions.     The 49ers and A.Smith were like the Jets and Sanchez.  He was a first round pick that sucked.  He was a bust.  He was hated far more than people hate Sanchez.   And the guy lost his job over and over.   Harbaugh didn't even want him, but gave him another chance because Kapernick was more of a project and raw.      

If Sanchez played this season and the Jets went 8-8 and Geno sat for a year, it would be like the 49ers situation.     Drafting some other kid who sits behind Geno Smith for a year makes little sense.   Especially if they draft somebody in the 1st or 2nd round.  It would be the Sanchez vs Tebow situation all over again.

If Idzik really things Geno stinks and they need a QB,  then they should take a QB in the first round.    But if Idzik thinks Geno has some potential, it's pointless to draft a QB anywhere instead of trying to improve the team with talented players at other positions.  I mean instead of taking some project QB in the 4th round they got Chris Ivory as a RB.  Years ago they picked Leon Washington in the 4th round. And so it goes.   Why waste a pick on a project who might never see the light of day over a player who can actually contribute now.  I mean the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley in the 4th round.   Does he really serve a purpose on that team?  Who would you rather have a Ivory or Washington or some practice squad like QB who is a project?

Oh no, If they draft a 1st rounder, especially if they trade up and take one of the top 3, that dude will be the QB, and really, I think a so called 3rd or 4th round "project" could even beat out Geno.

I dont disagree with you, I just dont want the JETS to completely pass this QB class up, and if it means taking a so called "project" in the 3rd or 4th, I am all for that BUT I would much rather see them trade up for a Franchise guy.

To tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much of a "project", say an Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, or Jimmy Garrapolo etc are. If some of the so called "projects" were in last years draft, they would have all gone ahead of Smith.

If the Jets hadnt "grabbed" Smith when they did, he probably ends up in the 3rd round with Glennon, who is far better than Smith.

See you use the word potential, and that to me means no one is sold on Geno being the future QB for the Jets including the GM, and if this is the case you CAN'T pass on any QB you have ranked as your BAP, or dam close to it in any round until that phrase potential QB becomes a 100% confident this is our future QB next year, and beyond!

Somehow didn't know this but it's not a surprise both Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Roberson are leaving Florida. Both man corners who are used to zero coverage. Purifoy has All-Pro type talent...would be a steal at 18.

If we took a Corner at 18 the fallout here would be incredible.

If we took a Corner at 18 the fallout here would be incredible.

But if the top tier WR's are gone before 18, it isn't a dumb move.  Why reach for a guy you can get in rounds 2 or 3, basing the pick strictly on need.  Yes, the fallout will be epic.

We seriously need a receiver out of this draft I hope one falls to us. My hope is Evans will but I think Lee will have the best shot at falling to #18. If a receiver doesn't fall to us I think we should look to address the O-line. Does anyone know where Jake Matthews is projected to go and if he is strictly a tackle or is he an option at guard?

We seriously need a receiver out of this draft I hope one falls to us. My hope is Evans will but I think Lee will have the best shot at falling to #18. If a receiver doesn't fall to us I think we should look to address the O-line. Does anyone know where Jake Matthews is projected to go and if he is strictly a tackle or is he an option at guard?

Top 5.

Archived