With the 18th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the NY Jets Select?

Lupz27

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take Charles over him any day of the week, twice on Sunday!

would be nice if the Jets could somehow draft an all around back like Charles or McCoy that would take a ton of pressure off of the QB and the WR's and transform this entire offense. The Key is he MUST be a receiving back not just a pure runner. When teams have to account for a Back Like Jamaal Charles it allows you to create mismatches with the TE and said back. I would love for the Jets to target this type of back and a WR in the upcoming draft if they have no intention of grabbing a QB in round one.

CJ Spiller is a FA? That's insane, and yes please.

Spiller isnt a UFA or even a RFA

8/6/2010: Signed a six-year, $39.3 million contract. The deal contains $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. Spiller is eligible for an annual $250,000 workout bonus throughout the contract's life. 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: $2,196,663, 2016: Free Agent

So what're the chances Sammy Watkins punches a baby or something that drops him to 18?

He did get suspended a year ago, so maybe that rears it's ugly head.

I'm really curious to see what they do at 18. Obviously offense makes sense, but Idzik is a BPA guy. Value could match need at TE, but do they prioritize that in Mornhinweg's offense? Same at WR, but do those big guys like Evans and Benjamin fit the WCO? Safety and OLB would make sense as picks that would piss everyone off but at least fill needs, but Clinton-Dix probably comes off the board before they pick and ditto for Mack (with Barr and Clowney obviously pipe dreams).

He did get suspended a year ago, so maybe that rears it's ugly head.

I'm really curious to see what they do at 18. Obviously offense makes sense, but Idzik is a BPA guy. Value could match need at TE, but do they prioritize that in Mornhinweg's offense? Same at WR, but do those big guys like Evans and Benjamin fit the WCO? Safety and OLB would make sense as picks that would piss everyone off but at least fill needs, but Clinton-Dix probably comes off the board before they pick and ditto for Mack (with Barr and Clowney obviously pipe dreams).

Celek did just fine for Marty in Philly. I also would worry more about whether those two WRs can match their latest season hype more than if they fit the offense. Benjamin's not old for being human, but he might be old for  a first round pick WR with only 1 year of big production going for him. I just haven't gotten on the Evans wagon yet. 

Only way I see them going D is if they're getting sacks or INTs of the player so you named the right guys. 

would be nice if the Jets could somehow draft an all around back like Charles or McCoy that would take a ton of pressure off of the QB and the WR's and transform this entire offense. The Key is he MUST be a receiving back not just a pure runner. When teams have to account for a Back Like Jamaal Charles it allows you to create mismatches with the TE and said back. I would love for the Jets to target this type of back and a WR in the upcoming draft if they have no intention of grabbing a QB in round one.

That type of weapon makes life hard on teams -- when the jets had Leon Washington he was a mismatch every down.  Look at Sproles -- kills teams. Woodhead is a hug reason why the Chargers are in the playoffs, Matt Forte, Pats kill teams with their pass catching running backs ..the list goes on.

Getting that type of weapon in the 4th round would be very nice - legit speedster with hands.

That type of weapon makes life hard on teams -- when the jets had Leon Washington he was a mismatch every down.  Look at Sproles -- kills teams. Woodhead is a hug reason why the Chargers are in the playoffs, Matt Forte, Pats kill teams with their pass catching running backs ..the list goes on.

Getting that type of weapon in the 4th round would be very nice - legit speedster with hands.

Dri Archer! Dri Archer!

Craig Carton just said, "What do the Jets have--the 12th, 13th pick right now? They're going to have a shot at Johnny Manziel, baby!" Boomer and Recco said "Sounds about right."

How do you have a sports show in NY and still be so clueless about the teams you're allegedly covering?

Craig Carton just said, "What do the Jets have--the 12th, 13th pick right now? They're going to have a shot at Johnny Manziel, baby!" Boomer and Recco said "Sounds about right."

How do you have a sports show in NY and still be so clueless about the teams you're allegedly covering?

NY has almost 25 years of experience at that.  Much rarer are the hosts who actually read and research what they yap about.  With Carton, they just gave up all pretenses of having an informative show and sold out straight to some pathetic attempt to mashup Howard Stern with Chris Russo.  It never worked. 

I liken him to the Dennis Miller experiment only its lasted longer than it should have.  I'd keep Boomer and pair him with someone else and drop the slapstick and the show would improve greatly.

Say the draft him...next topic -- how do you draft a QB and have no weapons for the guy to throw the ball to? Gotta love sports radio

Manziel in New York- the media would love it-not sure about him. Can he survive the way he plays in the NFL

Hes going to have to change his game a bit, there is no doubt about it.

I think the kid is just flat out a winner, and an awesome football player. The comparisons to Tebow are silly IMO. Tebow is a horrible thrower of the football, terrible release, terrible mechanics = horrible accuracy.

Manziel, while not Andrew Luck throwing the football, is an accurate QB and has a pretty good arm, not great, but that can improve. His field vision seems to be remarkable, and the guy just gets the job done, whatever it takes.

NY has almost 25 years of experience at that. Much rarer are the hosts who actually read and research what they yap about. With Carton, they just gave up all pretenses of having an informative show and sold out straight to some pathetic attempt to mashup Howard Stern with Chris Russo. It never worked.

I liken him to the Dennis Miller experiment only its lasted longer than it should have. I'd keep Boomer and pair him with someone else and drop the slapstick and the show would improve greatly.

What's happened to Boomer, IMO, is he's tried to latch on to all the hysterics of the show but it's just not him. I listen to callers all the time say how great the two are together and I couldn't disagree more. They are awful together. Why do people want to listen to fake, mock, husband/wife or school yard arguments all morning. It's the same thing that goes on with mike and Mike. The dumb jock and wacky geek. It's stupid. Golic isn't that dumb, Greenberg really isn't a nerd, Boomer isn't really funny at all and cynical makes him look like a jerk, and Carton is just trying so hard to be a shock jock. There are always little tidbits of when these guys just talk and act natural/normal and the shows are good. But most of it is like bad acting to me.

I think the kid is just flat out a winner, and an awesome football player. The comparisons to Tebow are silly IMO. Tebow is a horrible thrower of the football, terrible release, terrible mechanics = horrible accuracy.

Manziel, while not Andrew Luck throwing the football, is an accurate QB and has a pretty good arm, not great, but that can improve. His field vision seems to be remarkable, and the guy just gets the job done, whatever it takes.

Another area where he doesn't compare to Tebow is off the field. Will this kid have the discipline to make the changes to his game that he's going to have to do to be successful? Or will he be relying on what made him successful in college?

A gifted athlete can get away with a lot in college, QB at the NFL level is a lot of work.

NYCDan, I love how you characterize Carton as a "pathetic attempt to mashup Howard Stern with Chris Russo".  That is so dead-on. 

HessStation, I fully agree w/ your post as well.  Why do they think "fake schoolyard arguments" count as good radio?

I stopped listening to WFAN years ago because of this garbage (though I still listen to the occasional WFAN Francesa podcast interview for entertainment).

I like Manziel a lot...but while Tebow's game clearly didnt translate at the NFL level for the reasons you've described, he is the most effecient passer in the history of the SEC...rated above Manziel.  He didnt have accuracy problems in college. "flat out winner, awesome Football player" - all words used to describe Tebow. 

That said, I think Manziel is a much better NFL prospect, not even close really. 

Say the draft him...next topic -- how do you draft a QB and have no weapons for the guy to throw the ball to? Gotta love sports radio

Plenty of picks to draft "weapons", Plenty of cap space to sign FA "weapons".

Sheesh, NE finds receivers in bins labeled "Toxic waste" and "recycling" and Brady makes them Pro-bowlers. I never heard of Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, and some other dude, Gronk, is on a stretcher, and the other TE is in JAIL, and they get a 1st round bye.

Get a dynamic QB, and he makes HILL, HOLMES, KERLEY, NELSON, CUMBERLAND etc , and any NEW weapons they pick up into household names. Stop with this no weapon crap.

the Jets are an 8-8 team that are being treated like a 4-12 team. If you asked a casual football fan how many games did the Jets win this year you'd get a variety of wrong answers. 

the Jets are an 8-8 team that are being treated like a 4-12 team. If you asked a casual football fan how many games did the Jets win this year you'd get a variety of wrong answers. 

Actually 6-10, because many of us count the TB and NE gifts as losses, but 4-12, even I'm not that much of a REX basher. I'll give him 6.

He should have learned from Geno Smith and EJ Manuel's experience last year.  Even if he was right that his record is enough, someone else could shine in the Senior Bowl and pass him, dropping him 10-20 slots or more.  And he's not even a 1st round lock to begin with. I can't imagine what prompted this decision but he could well regret it.

No Senior Bowl for Mccarron?

Dummy.

I saw that too - maybe he wants to slide in the first round and end up playing for a perennial contender, rather than the usual slop teams that end up picking in the top 15 or so? I dunno. 

With the new pay scale, it's not about money as much in the middle to late part of the first round - it's about where you land, and the organization and situation you find yourself in. I would think at least. 

I saw that too - maybe he wants to slide in the first round and end up playing for a perennial contender, rather than the usual slop teams that end up picking in the top 15 or so? I dunno. 

With the new pay scale, it's not about money as much in the middle to late part of the first round - it's about where you land, and the organization and situation you find yourself in. I would think at least. 

I really doubt Mccaron goes first round.

Possibility.

I wouldn't mind the Jets taking a flier on him with a 3rd.... doubt he makes it that far and I doubt the Jets go QB with any of their 1st 3 or 4 picks.

Any person who would rather play for a 'contender' as a backup for years isn't exactly a good sign.    There are players who did sit for years, but it wasn't by choice.  Rodgers still has a chip on his shoulder to this day for being taken so late and he wasn't happy just being a backup to Favre.     Sometimes you want a QB who shows signs of being a leader and wants to take the bull by its horns.   If this guy thinks doing this will make him slide into later rounds and wind up sitting for a few years behind the Mannings, Brees, Brady's of the world,  I'm not sure the guy will be anything other than a backup in his career.    QBs need to want to win and play now no matter what.   It's one thing to not want to play for the Colts or the Chargers (Elway or Eli Manning), it's another to not even want to show teams picking early that you are worth a top 20 pick.

Another area where he doesn't compare to Tebow is off the field. Will this kid have the discipline to make the changes to his game that he's going to have to do to be successful? Or will he be relying on what made him successful in college?

A gifted athlete can get away with a lot in college, QB at the NFL level is a lot of work.

Good question, and I think that is the only thing that could hold him back at the next level. I think his upside is top 5 NFL QB, so personally I would take the chance on him.

I like Manziel a lot...but while Tebow's game clearly didnt translate at the NFL level for the reasons you've described, he is the most effecient passer in the history of the SEC...rated above Manziel.  He didnt have accuracy problems in college. "flat out winner, awesome Football player" - all words used to describe Tebow. 

That said, I think Manziel is a much better NFL prospect, not even close really. 

All valid points. The biggest difference I see is that when I watched Tebow throw, I kind of cringed, but he did get the job done.

I don't feel like that at all when I watch Manziel.

I agree that Manziel is a much better prospect, I never thought Tebow would translate to the NFL, I think Manziel is going to be a star.

You're right, people usually consider Oakland the divisional winner back in 2001. No teams ever get lucky in the NFL. Ever.

Except for the Pats and Seahawks for drafting Brady and Wilson respectively. Everyone else including the Jets wins this year, are perfect preparation.

Archived