It's a passing league! Part Deux

stoicsentry

I knew that the team with the prolific passing attack would crush the team with the great defense. Defense, running the ball? Old-school and irrelevant. All that matters is passing game, passing game, passing game. We have to get rid of our head coach... who needs a guy that knows defense anymore????

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lynch wasn't much of a factor this game, so there goes your argument.   And Percy Harvin did play a big part in this game.  And Wilson did make some key first downs and made some great throws.   

If it ended 16-8 or something,  I'd say the point was made.    But the Seahawks won 43-8 because they had the better team.  They were the best team all year.  And their defense was the best scoring defense all season long.   

People like to throw out things without ever watching the team all year long. They like to think the Seahawks won just because of their defense.  Yeah that defense is one hell of a defense,  the Jets ain't close and the 2009 team wasn't as close.   And they have a bunch of late round players while the Jets have a bunch of first rounders on defense.   And Rex is the Defensive Genius while Carroll was a never was coach in the NFL who might've been a Defensive guy, but when did anybody say Pete Carroll was a genius?   At USC they had NFL players, and they were known for Offense.    

Anyway,   the Seahawks as a team are just a great team.   Them and the 49ers are pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to finding players who fit into their style of play.   Russell Wilson is a QB who has over 50 TDs in his first two years in the NFL.  The only other QBs to do that are Manning and Marino. So yeah, it's not like he's just hanging around doing nothing.  And he rarely ever turns the ball over.     

What Jets QB has had a 26 TD 9 INT season ?       Wilson had a 26 TD and 10 INT his rookie year and a 26 TD and 9 INT his second season.    Sorry, but when was the last time a Jets QB came close to throwing 30 TDs in a season?     Yeah defense might win, but a QB who can play like that helps.

The Seahawks are a great team.   They didn't just win because of their defense, even though that defense is great.    The Broncos lost because their defense sucks and their offense is really Manning having 500 yards passing and 4TDs or they lose.   People just overlooked the Broncos weaknesses because, hey, it's Manning.  

The truth is the Seahawks were the far superior team and they showed it.  They kind of played that way all season long.

its a passer rating differential league.  so if you don't have a QB, you have to be historically good at stopping them to lift a trophy. 

since 25 teams "don't have a QB" the only logical course of action is to build a defense historically good at stopping them

its a passer rating differential league.  so if you don't have a QB, you have to be historically good at stopping them to lift a trophy. 

since 25 teams "don't have a QB" the only logical course of action is to build a defense historically good at stopping them

Seattle isnt going anywhere either...that's going to be a tough team for the next 5 years minimum. I like how we've patterned our dline after theirs though...it gives the statue QB's fits.

Seattle isnt going anywhere either...that's going to be a tough team for the next 5 years minimum. I like how we've patterned our dline after theirs though...it gives the statue QB's fits.

its amazing they are so young they won't lose a ton of guys to free agency because of the super bowl inflation

pete said "if you can't run you can't play for us"  the other thing we saw last night was total devotion to team speed

their fat DT's can run

its amazing they are so young they won't lose a ton of guys to free agency because of the super bowl inflation

pete said "if you can't run you can't play for us"  the other thing we saw last night was total devotion to team speed

their fat DT's can run

I like how we're modeling our dline after Seattle's. It will give Brady fits because our guys can play the pass and run- there's no audibling out of a pass to a run against our guys as they can do both really well. Seattle took away Peyton's presnap reads yesterday and pretty much rendered Knowshon useless.

I agree and disagree.

I do agree they are going to be good as long as Wilson is there, but I doubt they will be this good much longer.

Wilson is on his rookie contract and is a FA in 2016.  Bennett is a free agent this year.  Clemons, Thomas, Avril and Sherman to name, but a few are FAs in 2015.  They are not keeping all those players.

The good thing, as champion, they can now bring in older players on the cheap to get a ring.  Now, whether they are as athletic as the young team is another matter..

I like how we're modeling our dline after Seattle's. It will give Brady fits because our guys can play the pass and run- there's no audibling out of a pass to a run against our guys as they can do both really well. Seattle took away Peyton's presnap reads yesterday and pretty much rendered Knowshon useless.

I noticed that.  I feel bad for the guys who bet the over on "Omaha" as well.  our LB's need a speed makeover

its a passer rating differential league. so if you don't have a QB, you have to be historically good at stopping them to lift a trophy.

differential is key...

Seahawks have both... Wilson's stats put him in the top 25% of the league... They don't win this game (or get here) with Tavaris Jackson at QB.

seattle totally shook manning out of his game. manning is renowed for giving defenses fits with his audibles and machinations before the snap. saw almost none of that from him yesterday. they had him playing scared from the opening snap. it was an impressive thing to see.

differential is key...

Seahawks have both... Wilson's stats put him in the top 25% of the league... They don't win this game (or get here) with Tavaris Jackson at QB.

they were +39 !  I was amazed to see Wilson rating was about 108.  the jets are -20. 

they were +39 !  I was amazed to see Wilson rating was about 108.  the jets are -20. 

Yes, the 2009 Jets defense had the lowest defensive passer rating that I've seen since the Ty Law rule went into effect; 58.84. Seattles this year was 63.39. The main difference is that Jets offense posted a 62 QBR whereas Seattle was 102

I agree and disagree.

I do agree they are going to be good as long as Wilson is there, but I doubt they will be this good much longer.

Wilson is on his rookie contract and is a FA in 2016.  Bennett is a free agent this year.  Clemons, Thomas, Avril and Sherman to name, but a few are FAs in 2015.  They are not keeping all those players.

The good thing, as champion, they can now bring in older players on the cheap to get a ring.  Now, whether they are as athletic as the young team is another matter..

+1

These guys are young and are going to be young for awhile.  They're not going to be young AND CHEAP for much longer.  

Yes, the 2009 Jets defense had the lowest defensive passer rating that I've seen since the Ty Law rule went into effect; 58.84. Seattles this year was 63.39. The main difference is that Jets offense posted a 62 QBR whereas Seattle was 102

this years jets defense slipped quite a bit as well.  the greatest room for improvement is on the offense, obv, but if they draft or spend money on defensive speed, I'm ok with it

its funny, they are huge in defense, yet small on offense. 

+1

These guys are young and are going to be young for awhile.  They're not going to be young AND CHEAP for much longer.  

Will be slightly interesting to see how SF and Seattle handle those two contracts. I think they're the two best teams in the league and both have QB's who are massively underpaid...be curious if they give them Flacco type money.

Will be slightly interesting to see how SF and Seattle handle those two contracts. I think they're the two best teams in the league and both have QB's who are massively underpaid...be curious if they give them Flacco type money.

It's more than just the two QB contracts (though those are significant).  Most of their team hits free agency or is getting a huge cap # bump in the relatively near future. 

FAs in 2014:

Golden Tate

Doug Baldwin (RFA)

Michael Bennett

Tony McDaniel

Breno Giacomini

Paul McQuistan

Tavaris Jackson

FAs in 2015:

Richard Sherman

Byron Maxwell

Earl Thomas

Chris Clemons

Cliff Avril

Jermaine Kearse (RFA)

James Carpenter

Michael Robinson

Malcolm Smith

FAs in 2016:

Russell Wilson (but there's no way he's not getting an 8-figure/year raise before 2016)

Brandon Mebane

Sidney Rice

Russell Okung

Marshawn Lynch

Zach Miller

Bruce Irvin

Robert Turbin

J.R. Sweezy

Bobby Wagner

Players locked up long-term, whose cap # is going up $1M or more from 2013-2014:

Red Bryant

Kam Chancellor

Chris Clemons

Russell Wilson (again, no way he plays again with a $700K cap number)

Percy Harvin (base salary jumps from $2.5M to $11M, a level it stays at through 2018)

Players locked up long-term, whose cap # is going down $1M or more from 2013-2014:

(no one who is currently on the team)

However, they're going to draft 3 more classes of players from 2014-2016, and it seems unlikely for them to not land some good, cheap players in those drafts.  So there will be some turnover there.  Also, a SB winner can maybe attract a FA more cheaply than elsewhere (not to mention there's no state income tax there).

Seattle won this game for the same reason the Giants beat the Patriots in both Super Bowls, they got pressure on the QB while dropping 7 men into coverage, that is the formula, yes you need decent coverage guys who can cover for at least 3-5 seconds, and/or anticipate/recognize routes. Combine that with a QB who won't turn over the ball, and you can compete for a Super Bowl every year.

I think this is the reason Idzik is rumored to want Rex to change to a 4-3 defense, the blue print explained above is easiest ran from a 4-3, most 3-4 D's rely on blitzes to get to the QB.

It's more than just the two QB contracts (though those are significant).  Most of their team hits free agency or is getting a huge cap # bump in the relatively near future. 

FAs in 2014:

Golden Tate

Doug Baldwin (RFA)

Michael Bennett

Tony McDaniel

Breno Giacomini

Paul McQuistan

Tavaris Jackson

FAs in 2015:

Richard Sherman

Byron Maxwell

Earl Thomas

Chris Clemons

Cliff Avril

Jermaine Kearse (RFA)

James Carpenter

Michael Robinson

Malcolm Smith

FAs in 2016:

Russell Wilson (but there's no way he's not getting an 8-figure/year raise before 2016)

Brandon Mebane

Sidney Rice

Russell Okung

Marshawn Lynch

Zach Miller

Bruce Irvin

Robert Turbin

J.R. Sweezy

Bobby Wagner

Players locked up long-term, whose cap # is going up $1M or more from 2013-2014:

Red Bryant

Kam Chancellor

Chris Clemons

Russell Wilson (again, no way he plays again with a $700K cap number)

Percy Harvin (base salary jumps from $2.5M to $11M, a level it stays at through 2018)

Players locked up long-term, whose cap # is going down $1M or more from 2013-2014:

(no one who is currently on the team)

However, they're going to draft 3 more classes of players from 2014-2016, and it seems unlikely for them to not land some good, cheap players in those drafts.  So there will be some turnover there.  Also, a SB winner can maybe attract a FA more cheaply than elsewhere (not to mention there's no state income tax there).

Thing is though if you're SF do you give Kaepernick, Flacco money? Who's going to be the first team to buck the trend is what Im getting at...

Seattle won this game for the same reason the Giants beat the Patriots in both Super Bowls, they got pressure on the QB while dropping 7 men into coverage, that is the formula, yes you need decent coverage guys who can cover for at least 3-5 seconds, and/or anticipate/recognize routes. Combine that with a QB who won't turn over the ball, and you can compete for a Super Bowl every year.

I think this is the reason Idzik is rumored to want Rex to change to a 4-3 defense, the blue print explained above is easiest ran from a 4-3, most 3-4 D's rely on blitzes to get to the QB.

by blitz do you mean rushing 4 or 5 ?

Idzik probably shouldn't stick his nose in the defense. While it may be easiest to rush four men with a four man line, it's not all that much more difficult to rush 3 down linemen and a linebacker. Probably a little more confusing for the QB and OL, too, if they don't know which LB is coming.

Archived