Rex on Sanchez

CrazyCarl40

Marc Sessler@MarcSesslerNFL5m

Rex Ryan: If it's up to me, Mark Sanchez will be on the Jets' roster in 2014.

Bob Glauber@BobGlauber3m

Rex Ryan on Mark Sanchez: "His whole focus is rehabbing, getting that shoulder back to where he's throwing right now."

Kimberley A. Martin@KMart_LI5m

Will Mark Sanchez be back? "Again, if it's up to me, I'd like them all back." ...said his convos w Mark have only been about his rehab

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get it.  How do these tweets add up to no chance Sanchez comes back?

They didn't give Geno any assurances that he'd be starting, either in training camp or the season.  It looks to me that they are just keeping their options open as long as possible.

Personally I just assumed that the team wants the Sanchez era to be over, I'm a little surprised there's even talk about keeping him here.  I just don't see anything in those tweets that guarantees that.

Don't get it.  How do these tweets add up to no chance Sanchez comes back?

They didn't give Geno any assurances that he'd be starting, either in training camp or the season.  It looks to me that they are just keeping their options open as long as possible.

Personally I just assumed that the team wants the Sanchez era to be over, I'm a little surprised there's even talk about keeping him here.  I just don't see anything in those tweets that guarantees that.

Generally Idzik has been doing the opposite of what Rex wants. 

Ahh, I get it now. 

I thought we had moved past the Idzik-hates-Rex stage and moved onto the Idzik-and-Rex-are-surprisingly-working-out stage.

It's a good thing that Idzik is building the roster in a way that he sees fit.  It's become clear that Rex is a very good game-planner on D but its questionable at best that he is any good at evaluating talent.  And that's OK.

Sheldon Richardson and Dee Milliner would seem to fly in the face of that.

Rex once said Mark Sanchez would be his QB as long as he's Jets HC.  Geno Smith being drafted flies in the face of that.

Would we really go through another year with Smith, Sanchez, Simms? Scary to think that some of us would prefer that ALL 3 are gone, yet their is a possibility that all 3 will be back.

Hope we are willing to trade up for Winston or Mariota in 2015 because 8-8 is staring us in the face again.

See Rex loyalty to his players again- he should have said we continue to evaluate the QB situation

Come on, no one would believe that. Using the word "WE" implies that he was in on the evaluation, and it takes REX 3 guesses to identify the QB position when looking at an entire offense.

No, you want to see it because you believe these 3 bums are the future Jets QB's, don't lie.

No, in fact, of the three, the only one I want to see on the Jets roster on opening day is Geno. I think Simms is waste of time and its time to move on from Sanchez. 

I would like to see a younger veteran such as Chad Henne brought into compete with Geno and mid to late round pick who can easily unseat Simms and make Geno legitimately uncomfortable. 

Geno will show improvement this season. And more the following year. He's going to be the QB for awhile.

I don't know how good of a thing that is yet.

I do know I never want to see Sanchez start another game for the Jets.

No, in fact, of the three, the only one I want to see on the Jets roster on opening day is Geno. I think Simms is waste of time and its time to move on from Sanchez. 

I would like to see a younger veteran such as Chad Henne brought into compete with Geno and mid to late round pick who can easily unseat Simms and make Geno legitimately uncomfortable.

I just mentioned Henne in another post. Though not my first choice for a VET, I would certainly be happy with him..

And I wouldn't go BatS*** insane, I would simply commit suicide and end it all.

2014 NFL combine: Do the Jets want Mark Sanchez back in 2014?
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

February 20, 2014 3:51 pm ET

Mark_Sanchez_Im_Not_Going_Anywhere_Jets_Could this man be returning to New York next year? (USATSI)

More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Big Board | NFL Combine news and updates

INDIANAPOLIS -- You might have thought Mark Sanchez was done with the Jets organization and vice versa.

General manager John Idzik is not entirely sure that's true.

Idzik told reporters Thursday that he wouldn't mind seeing Sanchez, who missed all of last season with a shoulder injury that eventually needed surgery, compete with incumbent starter Geno Smith for the right to start for the Jets in 2014.

Wait a minute. Smith was up and down during his rookie season, but he did help lead the Jets to an 8-8 record -- which, in part, helped save coach Rex Ryan's job. Besides, he was Idzik's second-round pick from 2013. Why continue bothering with Sanchez? Especially since he's due a $9 million base salary with $2.5 million more in bonuses, leading to a $13.1 million salary cap hit.

Not only that, Idzik also said he wouldn't rule out the Jets drafting a quarterback in the first round of May's draft (for the record, the CBSSports.com mock drafters predict New York will take either USC receiver Marqise Lee or UNC tight end Eric Ebron with the No. 18 overall pick).

Yet, it seems reasonable that Sanchez's chances of staying on the roster would be increased if he agrees to some sort of contract renegotiation or reduction -- releasing him would leave $4.8 million of dead money on the cap.

Said Ryan:

"Let's just let it play out."

I just mentioned Henne in another post. Though not my first choice for a VET, I would certainly be happy with him..And I wouldn't go BatS*** insane, I would simply commit suicide and end it all.

Not surprising that you'll be redundant, even in death.

2014 NFL combine: Do the Jets want Mark Sanchez back in 2014?

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

February 20, 2014 3:51 pm ET

Mark_Sanchez_Im_Not_Going_Anywhere_Jets_Could this man be returning to New York next year? (USATSI) 

More Draft: NFL Mock Drafts | Big Board | NFL Combine news and updates

INDIANAPOLIS -- You might have thought Mark Sanchez was done with the Jets organization and vice versa.

General manager John Idzik is not entirely sure that's true.

Idzik told reporters Thursday that he wouldn't mind seeing Sanchez, who missed all of last season with a shoulder injury that eventually needed surgery, compete with incumbent starter Geno Smith for the right to start for the Jets in 2014.

Wait a minute. Smith was up and down during his rookie season, but he did help lead the Jets to an 8-8 record -- which, in part, helped save coach Rex Ryan's job. Besides, he was Idzik's second-round pick from 2013. Why continue bothering with Sanchez? Especially since he's due a $9 million base salary with $2.5 million more in bonuses, leading to a $13.1 million salary cap hit.

Not only that, Idzik also said he wouldn't rule out the Jets drafting a quarterback in the first round of May's draft (for the record, the CBSSports.com mock drafters predict New York will take either USC receiver Marqise Lee or UNC tight end Eric Ebron with the No. 18 overall pick).

Yet, it seems reasonable that Sanchez's chances of staying on the roster would be increased if he agrees to some sort of contract renegotiation or reduction -- releasing him would leave $4.8 million of dead money on the cap.

Said Ryan:

"Let's just let it play out."

They're hoping to create a trade market. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is that a statement, or a prayer?

Statement.

Mark has a big roster bonus due, but it's not due until two weeks into free agency. They'll try to trade him during that period of time. If not, they'll cut him and let him test the market.

I like what's coming out of the John Idzik front office so far. They're really leaving every option open, and therefore not tipping their hand. Nice change of pace.

Statement.

Mark has a big roster bonus due, but it's not due until two weeks into free agency. They'll try to trade him during that period of time. If not, they'll cut him and let him test the market.

I like what's coming out of the John Idzik front office so far. They're really leaving every option open, and therefore not tipping their hand. Nice change of pace.

It is a breathe of fresh air 'taint it?

INDIANAPOLIS -- Mark Sanchez is progressing well with his shoulder rehab and has resumed throwing, according to New York Jets officials. But they clammed up when asked if Sanchez will be doing his throwing for the Jets in 2014. 

The former starter is expected to be a salary-cap casualty in the coming weeks, and neither Rex Ryan nor general manager John Idzik said anything Thursday that indicated otherwise. They wanted no part of a Sanchez discussion, with Ryan refusing to give a basic overview of the quarterback position. 

[+] Enlargegrant_g_sanchez1x_300.jpg
Jeff Zelevansky/Getty ImagesThe Jets owe Mark Sanchez a $2 million roster bonus if he's still on the team March 25.

"I prefer not to," Ryan told reporters at the NFL scouting combine. "We’ll just say this: Let's talk about where Geno [smith] left off." 

And he proceeded to praise Smith for his strong finish. It's not hard to read between the lines here, folks. 

Sanchez has a $13.1 million cap charge in 2014, including a $2 million roster bonus due March 25, and there's no way he will be on the roster at that number. The only question is whether the Jets will try to retain him by offering to restructure his contract -- i.e. a massive pay cut. If the Jets were to take that route, they'd probably offer Sanchez an incentive-laden deal with base pay in the $2 million-to-$3 million range for the coming season, according to a longtime personnel executive. His current base pay is $9 million. 

It's quite possible the Jets will simply cut bait, making no effort to keep him. It's also possible that Sanchez would reject a pay cut, forcing his release by March 25. His agents are expected to meet with Idzik here at the combine. 

Ryan gave his stock answer, saying he'd "absolutely" like to have Sanchez back. He says that about every player whose status is uncertain. Idzik declined to comment. Quite frankly, his non-answers were eerily reminiscent to those from last year's combine, when he dodged questions about trade rumors involving Darrelle Revis. Of course, we all know how that turned out. 

"We tend to let things play out," Idzik said of Sanchez's situation. "We still have some time there. We know he’ll be ready (for the season). We’ll just let that take its course." 

Economics aside, the big factor is Sanchez's surgically repaired throwing shoulder. He's four months into what was initially projected as a four- to five-month process. Both Idzik and Ryan praised Sanchez's diligent approach, repeating the sound bites they used last February for Revis and his knee rehab. 

"His whole focus -- and I know he’s doing a great job of this – is rehabbing, getting that shoulder back to where he’s throwing right now," Ryan said of Sanchez. "I know he’s doing whatever he can to get back." 

Added Idzik: "We’re assuming Mark is going to be fine with his shoulder." 

Of course, the Jets are best served by giving a glowing medical report. They need to enhance Sanchez's market value, assuming they try to trade him. Good luck with that. 

League observers expect the Jets to replace Sanchez with another veteran, possiblyMichael Vick, a free agent. Smith is the odds-on favorite to start, although Idzik continued to spew his semantic approach to the quarterback situation, refusing to name Smith the starter. 

"We don't anoint starters in February, and we don't anoint them in March," Idzik said. 

There will be another quarterback competition, because everything is competition in Idzik's world -- just don't expect Sanchez to be part of it. They won't acknowledge it publicly, but the Jets want no part of the egg-on-face possibility of Sanchez beating out Smith in training camp. Idzik said Sanchez still can be a starter in the league, but he measured his words carefully. 

"We know Mark Sanchez," Idzik said. "He’s been a productive player in this league, a productive starter in this league. We know how he works, we know how he’s going to put everything into his rehab. We know how he’s going to be ambitious in his career. What would lead you to believe he wouldn’t (be a starter again)? That’s who Mark is. He’s competitor and he’s done it before." 

And he hopes to do it again, but probably not with the Jets.

Archived