Cooper signing 4 yr deal w/ Philly

eboozer

Market gets thinner & thinner by the day!!

Report: Riley Cooper will sign four-year deal with Eagles

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 26, 2014, 9:22 PM EST

Riley CooperAP
Eagles receiver Riley Cooper won’t be going anywhere in free agency.

Instead, Cooper will sign a four-year contract with the Eagles on Thursday, Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com reports.

We noted today that Cooper is a high priority for the Eagles, and that a deal was expected to be close, so this news comes as no surprise. The Eagles wanted Cooper to stay, and Cooper wanted to stay, and so a deal is done two weeks before free agency begins.

Cooper looked like a good fit in Chip Kelly’s offense last season, finishing the year with career highs in catches (47), yards (835) and touchdowns (8). Now the Eagles expect that he’ll be a big part of Kelly’s offense for four more years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

The Eagles threw for over 4,400 yards last year and he had 835 yards in Chip Kelly's offense 

1,500 yards in 4 years.

Definitely a nice player but it isn't like this was the Jets plan for fixing the offense.  The need to set their aim a little higher anyway. 

Does this mean Maclin will hit free agency?

Really, this is the other side of the coin.

I don't know what Maclin's knee is like (think that's what he injured and I'm feeling to lazy too look it up). But if it's in decent shape - keep in mind the season doesn't begin for another 6 months - he's far more likely to have a major positive impact on this team than Cooper. Though I don't know if the Jets are even interested, I think a team with our roster looks at everybody because pretty much everybody available is an upgrade. Ugh, how sad.

I don't want to make Cooper out to be anything that he's not. I know he's not a star. I know that Kelly's system probably helped him a lot.

I still think it makes a difference though, and I'm starting to get worried about this group of wide receivers. With the cap being slightly higher than expected, a bunch of them could be off the market before we even get a chance at them.

I don't want to make Cooper out to be anything that he's not. I know he's not a star. I know that Kelly's system probably helped him a lot.

I still think it makes a difference though, and I'm starting to get worried about this group of wide receivers. With the cap being slightly higher than expected, a bunch of them could be off the market before we even get a chance at them.

u probably worry too much.

u probably worry too much.

The reason I worry too much is that I'm more sold on the Jets getting one of the top 3 wide receivers in my book---either Decker, Tate or Maclin. Not counting Nicks. Everyone else seems OK with getting role players. But maybe I should look on the bright side, this deal might make Maclin more likely to go..

Does this mean Maclin will hit free agency? 

Really, this is the other side of the coin.

I don't know what Maclin's knee is like (think that's what he injured and I'm feeling to lazy to look it up). But if it's in decent shape - keep in mind the season doesn't begin for another 6 months - he's far more likely to have a major positive impact on this team than Cooper. Though I don't know if the Jets are even interested, I think a team with our roster looks at everybody because pretty much everybody available is an upgrade. Ugh, how sad.

The same report that broke Cooper was signing, reported that Maclin has full intentions of signing a one year deal with Philly before free agency starts. I mentioned it in another thread, but it seems as though Maclin definitely wants to remain in philly and on that offense, because I can't imagine his agents are advising him not to even test the FA market.

The reason I worry too much is that I'm more sold on the Jets getting one of the top 3 wide receivers in my book---either Decker, Tate or Maclin. Not counting Nicks. Everyone else seems OK with getting role players. But maybe I should look on the bright side, this deal might make Maclin more likely to go..

All reports point to Maclin resigning with Philly on a one year deal1 and Tate being a priority for Seattle2, so other than Decker, I think you're going to be out of luck.  Speaking of luck, the Colts are said to be quite interested in Decker3, so you might have to settle for someone like Sanders. Of all the reports, it seems as though the Decker one is mostly speculative.

1The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles are expected to re-sign free agent Jeremy Maclin to a one-year contract.

The Eagles and Riley Cooper are hammering out a new deal at this moment. It appears Philadelphia wants to lock up both free-agent receivers before the market opens on March 11. Beat writer Jeff McLane says Maclin's deal will "most likely" be a one-year, "show me" contract in an effort to rehab his value after tearing his ACL last July. Maclin would be the favorite for No. 2 duties. Feb 26 - 5:19 PM

2Seahawks GM John Schneider calls re-signing free agent Golden Tate a "big priority."

"Golden knows where we stand how much we love and how much we want him on this team," Schneider said. His comments come two weeks after Tate said he'd be "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the team that made him the No. 60 overall pick of the 2010 draft. Tate is Rotoworld's No. 5 free-agent receiver. He's not someone the Seahawks should break the bank to keep, but they'd have serious depth issues at wideout if he walks. Feb 20 - 11:29 PM
3Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.
The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves. Feb 26 - 9:00 PM

The same report that broke Cooper was signing, reported that Maclin has full intentions of signing a one year deal with Philly before free agency starts. I mentioned it in another thread, but it seems as though Maclin definitely wants to remain in philly and on that offense, because I can't imagine his agents are advising him not to even test the FA market.

That would be disappointing, as he was the guy I really wanted/expected the Jets to go after. Hopefully Mornhinweg is doing a little behind the scenes tampering. If all Philly is willing to do is a one year deal, I'd like to think the Jets could entice him with a multi-year contract.

All reports point to Maclin resigning with Philly on a one year deal1 and Tate being a priority for Seattle2, so other than Decker, I think you're going to be out of luck.  Speaking of luck, the Colts are said to be quite interested in Decker3, so you might have to settle for someone like Sanders. Of all the reports, it seems as though the Decker one is mostly speculative.

1The Philadelphia Inquirer reports the Eagles are expected to re-sign free agent Jeremy Maclin to a one-year contract.

The Eagles and Riley Cooper are hammering out a new deal at this moment. It appears Philadelphia wants to lock up both free-agent receivers before the market opens on March 11. Beat writer Jeff McLane says Maclin's deal will "most likely" be a one-year, "show me" contract in an effort to rehab his value after tearing his ACL last July. Maclin would be the favorite for No. 2 duties. Feb 26 - 5:19 PM

2Seahawks GM John Schneider calls re-signing free agent Golden Tate a "big priority."

"Golden knows where we stand how much we love and how much we want him on this team," Schneider said. His comments come two weeks after Tate said he'd be "very willing" to take a hometown discount with the team that made him the No. 60 overall pick of the 2010 draft. Tate is Rotoworld's No. 5 free-agent receiver. He's not someone the Seahawks should break the bank to keep, but they'd have serious depth issues at wideout if he walks. Feb 20 - 11:29 PM
3Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports the Colts "have interest" in free agent Eric Decker.
The Colts have a plethora of young wide receiver and tight end talent, but paying big bucks to Decker would be a move typical of increasingly meddlesome owner Jim Irsay, who spent heartily in 2013 free agency before pressuring GM Ryan Grigson into dealing for Trent Richardson. Easily this year's top free agent wideout, Decker is going to be paid like a No. 1A receiver on the open market. He'd be a great match out wide for Andrew Luck, but upgrading Luck's protection would probably be a better approach for the Colts. Irsay prefers splashy moves. Feb 26 - 9:00 PM

Superscripts FTW

That would be disappointing, as he was the guy I really wanted/expected the Jets to go after. Hopefully Mornhinweg is doing a little behind the scenes tampering. If all Philly is willing to do is a one year deal, I'd like to think the Jets could entice him with a multi-year contract.

It's possible that Maclin won't be ready to return from the ACL until after the season starts.   If that's the case, he'd miss all of the offseason workouts and training camp and the only viable option would be to return to a team he knows.   

Unless he has Master-P representing him, his agent should have a pretty good idea of the market.   Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense to sign a deal before FA begins.  

It may be in his best interest...if he can stay healthy.

Then again he could put up better receiving numbers elsewhere for a year where there isn't already going to be a DeSean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Brent Celek, and don't forget Ertz who was just a rookie last season, all competing for targets. McCoy & Brown are also good for over 60 catches per season. There's only 1 football. If Foles starts where he left off this past season then there may be enough to give him enough receptions to up his dollars by a large amount on what's likely to be the biggest payday of his life.

He'd be better off someplace that has a good (or better) QB in place but who could use someone like Maclin. New England, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Washington, opposite Megatron in Detroit, and I could argue St. Louis. He'd have a legitimate chance of catching over 80 passes in most or all of these stops. I don't see that happening in Philadelphia.

Plus what happens if he doesn't match Cooper's numbers (800 yards, 8 TDs)? What's he worth then? Cooper's deal is now being reported as 5 years $25M. Maclin could get more than that now, probably, though if he got such then it would have some serious injury/performance clauses for year 1 that could change the balance of the deal.

The reality is Maclin's numbers have never been heads & tails better than what Cooper just put up in his first season starting and 85% of his numbers came in the last 10 games once he'd gotten into a rhythm. Considering his offseason and the negative attention always around him it's not hard to understand why it took some time for him to get his head back on straight (such as that head ever could be).

Philadelphia's not giving a contract of this size to Cooper just to watch him take a back seat to Maclin on a show-me deal. Plus Foles already has significant familiarity with Cooper and virtually none with Maclin. Maclin's obviously more talented, and that could correct itself before long, but it's not nothing.

I don't see Maclin putting up more than 700 yards and 5 TDs if he stays in Philly. Just too many other receivers there who aren't coming off bad knee injuries.

idzik doesnt entice... he offers vet min contracts and the choice of take it or leave it.

This year the team's cap (and roster) situation is totally the same as March of last year. Impressive of you to notice that. Keen eye you've got there.

Waaaah. A GM with little money, with a team with no superbowl chances, didn't extend contracts of his current, mediocre squad to make as much room as possible to keep (and extend) Revis, and sign 1 or 2 additional high-priced FAs, when we needed to fill more than 20 roster spots.

Very astute.

One would think fans would be happy that we could field a somewhat-competitive team under those constraints. But not some. If the GM don't make a huge splash while you are an absolute non-contender, then it is OBVIOUS that it means these thrifty off-seasons are all that this team has in its future. Oh yeah, and it means the owner is poor and can't afford to pay players anymore.

Maybe give the non-Tannenbaum approach a try. Spend when you can instead of f*cking the future to make a headline to maybe eke out an extra win in another ring-less season.

This year the team's cap (and roster) situation is totally the same as March of last year. Impressive of you to notice that. Keen eye you've got there.

Waaaah. A GM with little money, with a team with no superbowl chances, didn't extend contracts of his current, mediocre squad to make as much room as possible to keep (and extend) Revis, and sign 1 or 2 additional high-priced FAs, when we needed to fill more than 20 roster spots.

Very astute.

One would think fans would be happy that we could field a somewhat-competitive team under those constraints. But not some. If the GM don't make a huge splash while you are an absolute non-contender, then it is OBVIOUS that it means these thrifty off-seasons are all that this team has in its future. Oh yeah, and it means the owner is poor and can't afford to pay players anymore.

Maybe give the non-Tannenbaum approach a try. Spend when you can instead of f*cking the future to make a headline to maybe eke out an extra win in another ring-less season.

We could have brought in Tebow again- that would have made headlines at least. To the detriment of the team. Make wise moves to position yourself for the future-which is now

We could have brought in Tebow again- that would have made headlines at least. To the detriment of the team. Make wise moves to position yourself for the future-which is now

At least Tannenbaum got fired for his 2 fire-able offenses. That he made both moves basically in the same week (the other being Sanchez's extension) only makes it worse.

Actually what TRULY makes it worse is it then eradicated any thought of taking the QB that his head scout was (allegedly) infatuated with. Should have done absolutely nothing with Sanchez and drafted Wilson. Sanchez was then cuttable after he'd have lost his job, and who knows where we'd be. I know where Seattle WOULDN'T be.

It may be in his best interest...if he can stay healthy.

Then again he could put up better receiving numbers elsewhere for a year where there isn't already going to be a DeSean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Brent Celek, and don't forget Ertz who was just a rookie last season, all competing for targets. McCoy & Brown are also good for over 60 catches per season. There's only 1 football. If Foles starts where he left off this past season then there may be enough to give him enough receptions to up his dollars by a large amount on what's likely to be the biggest payday of his life.

He'd be better off someplace that has a good (or better) QB in place but who could use someone like Maclin. New England, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Washington, opposite Megatron in Detroit, and I could argue St. Louis. He'd have a legitimate chance of catching over 80 passes in most or all of these stops. I don't see that happening in Philadelphia.

Plus what happens if he doesn't match Cooper's numbers (800 yards, 8 TDs)? What's he worth then? Cooper's deal is now being reported as 5 years $25M. Maclin could get more than that now, probably, though if he got such then it would have some serious injury/performance clauses for year 1 that could change the balance of the deal.

The reality is Maclin's numbers have never been heads & tails better than what Cooper just put up in his first season starting and 85% of his numbers came in the last 10 games once he'd gotten into a rhythm. Considering his offseason and the negative attention always around him it's not hard to understand why it took some time for him to get his head back on straight (such as that head ever could be).

Philadelphia's not giving a contract of this size to Cooper just to watch him take a back seat to Maclin on a show-me deal. Plus Foles already has significant familiarity with Cooper and virtually none with Maclin. Maclin's obviously more talented, and that could correct itself before long, but it's not nothing.

I don't see Maclin putting up more than 700 yards and 5 TDs if he stays in Philly. Just too many other receivers there who aren't coming off bad knee injuries.

Agreed.  I made this same point a while ago when others were saying why would Maclin choose a Rex Ryan offense over Chip Kelly's.  Disregarding Peyton Manning, odds are that a receiver would put up better numbers in which he's the focal point, like he would be here or the places you mentioned, compared to just a roll player in philly's with Jackson, Cooper, McCoy and Ertz who's supposed to have a very large part in the offense this coming year.

Archived