Official Jets' '14 Free Agency Thread

BroadwayJoe12

Fair enough, but I have to disagree.  You're essentially swapping out Holmes for Decker and everyone else stays the same, I'm not sure how that's anything but a win.  Regardless, this team is going to go as far as Geno and his development takes them. If he improves, the team is immediately that much better. 

The best part about this team however, is that they are one of the youngest teams in the league, especially their marquee players. I'm not at all going to be surprised to see Sheldon take the same jump that Mo took from his first to second year and start entering that pro-bowl caliber type of player we all know he can be. 

I could see how the limited moves at this moment are shiny or exciting, but one of Tanny's biggest problems was ignoring the middle and bottom of the roster, something that Idzik doesn't seem to fall trap to. You look at Seattle and San Fran and they have backup players that could start on most teams. That seems to be what Idzik is doing here.

The Seahawks and Pats are both considered young teams as well.   None of that really means anything, especially if guys like Wilkerson want to get paid more than Idzik wants to pay them.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retweeted by JetNation.com

I'm happy to say that I have made it official to become a New York Jet for 2 more years. #jetLife

Well, that's good news. Hope he's ready, 'cause it's going to be "all hands on deck" with the aerial assault we will be enduring this yr. Tough to run on us, but 400 yds. through the air is doable.

Retweeted by JetNation.com

I'm happy to say that I have made it official to become a New York Jet for 2 more years. #jetLife

Well, that's good news. Hope he's ready, 'cause it's going to be "all hands on deck" with the aerial assault we will be enduring this yr. Tough to run on us, but 400 yds. through the air is doable.

Great news considering the CB situation.

The New York Post reports the Jets "aren't being very aggressive" in trying to re-sign free agent CB Antonio Cromartie.

Cromartie wants to return and play for Rex Ryan, but he isn't going to play for peanuts. We'd guess he'd take a deal similar to Cortland Finnegan's with the Dolphins -- two years and $11 million. But GM John Idzik seems hellbent on playing it slow and letting the market come to him. It's already cost the Jets Vontae Davis and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Cromartie has drawn interest from the Cardinals. Aside from them, his market has been quiet.

Rumors were the Jets were not in on Verner as well and the fact that Davis was never going to leave Indi, it appears the only person that the Jets tried to sign who signed elsewhere was DRC. I also don't consider it losing when someone else outspends you, that's just called being outspent. 

I still don't see how the team is less talented than it was last year, but even so, we still have 12 draft picks to add so this isn't even remotely close to the final 53 you'll see come September.

THere was pettigrew but I actually agree with you.  WE are a little worse at CB than last year as of now, but it's friggin March. I'm really not worried.  I was bent about the Revis thing for a minute, but other than that I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. Everyone is crazy right now, 

THere was pettigrew but I actually agree with you.  WE are a little worse at CB than last year as of now, but it's friggin March. I'm really not worried.  I was bent about the Revis thing for a minute, but other than that I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. Everyone is crazy right now, 

That's true about Pettigrew, but it's hard to know just how close they were when the only source seemed to be Mehta. The wait and see philosophy is always best. There have been threads complaining about Idzik making moves that haven't even happened yet. While I understand some of the frustration, because people assumed we were going to be big spenders, it's gotten to a point that's a little emo.  Free agency isn't over, we have a dozen draft picks in a very deep draft, our final 53 is going to look significantly different than it stands at the moment. I'm willing to see how we look heading into the season as opposed to mid march. 

That's true about Pettigrew, but it's hard to know just how close they were when the only source seemed to be Mehta. The wait and see philosophy is always best. There have been threads complaining about Idzik making moves that haven't even happened yet. While I understand some of the frustration, because people assumed we were going to be big spenders, it's gotten to a point that's a little emo.  Free agency isn't over, we have a dozen draft picks in a very deep draft, our final 53 is going to look significantly different than it stands at the moment. I'm willing to see how we look heading into the season as opposed to mid march. 

Wait… Wait… I thought Pettigrew left the table at Atlantic Health to use the bathroom and called his previous team to make a deal while Idzik sat there smiling.  That never happened ? 

Idzik its time to renew faith in you. Pull the trigger and trade a 3rd for DeSean Jackson and sign Kenny Britt.

Decker-Jackson-Kerley-Britt-Nelson-Hill-Salas WOW

Free agent Kenny Britt left his Redskins visit without a contract.

Britt has now left New England, St. Louis and Washington without a contract. NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Britt is being "deliberate (by design)," but the fact is, if the money had been right anywhere, Britt would have already signed. It's unclear if Britt has any more visits lined up, but the Seahawks are reportedly interested.

In other minor news....

Roster Update: Exclusive Rights Free Agents

March 18th, 2014 10:06 am

Exclusive rights free agents (ERFAs) are players who are not under contract but only have two years of NFL experience and were on an NFL roster (or reserve list) at the end of their second season. This will either be an undrafted free agent or a draft pick who has been cut at least once. In practice, the team has to tender a one year minimum salary contract before the first day of the league year following the expiration of their contract, which doesn’t always get signed by the player immediately. If the tender is not made, or later withdrawn, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent, but the player cannot sign with another team while the tender is in place.

The Jets had three ERFAs listed for 2015:

TE Konrad Reuland – who was the third tight end most of the year and contributed on special teams. He caught one pass and ended up on injured reserve with a knee injury.

WR Vidal Hazelton – who was making a push for a roster spot in training camp, only to suffer a torn ACL in camp.

RB John Griffin – who was also making a push for a roster spot having been active for the last game of the 2012 season, but suffered a season ending foot/ankle injury in the first preseason game.

It’s doesn’t appear to have been reported anywhere yet, but the Jets did not extend an ERFA tender to any of these three players so they are all now free to talk to other teams.

Bent, TheJetsBlog.com

It’s not certain that none of these three will be back, but it does seem unlikely because the Jets controlled their rights and had the opportunity to retain any of them for a minimum salary. For Reuland, this is perhaps not surprising because there was some talk he was about to be released anyway before suffering his injury. However, with Hazelton and Griffin flashing last year in camp, it’s perhaps mildly surprising that they wouldn’t take the opportunity to retain either of these guys at the minimum and throw them into the mix again.

Last year, the Jets brought back three of their four ERFAs with the only one not extended a tender offer being tight end Derrick Epps – who, like Reuland, was reportedly about to be cut anyway when he suffered his season ending injury. Two of the three others (cornerbacks Darrin Walls and Isaiah Trufant) made contributions during the regular season, but the third (wide receiver Jordan White) was an early camp cut.

In other minor news....

Roster Update: Exclusive Rights Free Agents

March 18th, 2014 10:06 am

Exclusive rights free agents (ERFAs) are players who are not under contract but only have two years of NFL experience and were on an NFL roster (or reserve list) at the end of their second season. This will either be an undrafted free agent or a draft pick who has been cut at least once. In practice, the team has to tender a one year minimum salary contract before the first day of the league year following the expiration of their contract, which doesn’t always get signed by the player immediately. If the tender is not made, or later withdrawn, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent, but the player cannot sign with another team while the tender is in place.

The Jets had three ERFAs listed for 2015:

TE Konrad Reuland – who was the third tight end most of the year and contributed on special teams. He caught one pass and ended up on injured reserve with a knee injury.

WR Vidal Hazelton – who was making a push for a roster spot in training camp, only to suffer a torn ACL in camp.

RB John Griffin – who was also making a push for a roster spot having been active for the last game of the 2012 season, but suffered a season ending foot/ankle injury in the first preseason game.

It’s doesn’t appear to have been reported anywhere yet, but the Jets did not extend an ERFA tender to any of these three players so they are all now free to talk to other teams.

#ThanksIdzik

Per Mehta, Jets are a pathetic 66:1 to win the Superbowl. Only ahead of the Bills, Titans, Raiders and Jaguars. How the heck we're not ahead of teams like the Browns, Texans, Panthers, etc. is beyond me. But still, very discouraging.

Totes magoats, and it would be a whoe 55:1 if the Jets signed Byrd, Revis, Ware, Sanders and Decker.

Why?  Geno Smith

Per Mehta, Jets are a pathetic 66:1 to win the Superbowl. Only ahead of the Bills, Titans, Raiders and Jaguars. How the heck we're not ahead of teams like the Browns, Texans, Panthers, etc. is beyond me. But still, very discouraging.

I like that you originally posted this in a thread that got locked, so you posted it here. That's commitment.

Totes magoats, and it would be a whoe 55:1 if the Jets signed Byrd, Revis, Ware, Sanders and Decker.

Why?  Geno Smith

Well for one thing I bet you the odds will improve after the draft, we will probably be looking more at 55:1 type odds to open the season. That's a huge haul you list there, that plus the draft probably could have gotten 'em to 35:1 or so to open up the season.

Can a coach win the Ed Block Courage award? I think Rex should just get it now

Well for one thing I bet you the odds will improve after the draft, we will probably be looking more at 55:1 type odds to open the season. That's a huge haul you list there, that plus the draft probably could have gotten 'em to 35:1 or so to open up the season.

Vegas could use somebody like you watching out for them. They didn't account for us having 12 draft picks yet and Idzik doesn't seem like the type that's going to put them through the wash and lose them. I wish we spent all our cap space the next 2 years so you could be happy with our 35:1 chance at a SB.

Vegas odds in March = season over. 

Dude, it's amazing we're ahead of Oakland and Buffalo. Did you even SEE the money they spent this offseason? 

Vegas could use somebody like you watching out for them. They didn't account for us having 12 draft picks yet and Idzik doesn't seem like the type that's going to put them through the wash and lose them. I wish we spent all our cap space the next 2 years so you could be happy with our 35:1 chance at a SB.

Lol, you make it sound like increasing our chance to win a Super Bowl is a bad thing

Archived