Klecko: Coples looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane (merged)

JOJOTOWNSELL

Hard hitting critique lol

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/05/02/jets-legend-klecko-on-coples-he-looks-like-tarzan-plays-like-jane/

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Joe Klecko respects Quinton Coples, thinks he’s a very good player, but says there’s something missing from his game.

Klecko was a guest on WFAN with Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts on Friday and didn’t mince words about Coples the impact players versus Coples, the player who hasn’t yet lived up to his abilities.

“Well, he’s another one. A little bit of the time he looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane,” Klecko said.

The 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft out of North Carolina, Coples was drafted as a defensive lineman, but was eventually converted to outside linebacker by the Jets. He recorded 5.5 sacks as rookie, but ran in place a bit early last season before turning it on late, registering 3.5 sacks over the Jets’ final four games.

Klecko said the guy that helped the Jets to three wins last December on their way to a surprising 8-8 season needs to show up Week 1 this season and never take any plays off.

“Sometimes (Coples) gets out there and does things that are unbelievable. Well, you need to go out there and stick your nose in there every time and make sure everybody knows your there. I think he has a lot tolearnicon1.png,” Klecko said.

Klecko can talk because he knows what it takes to become a premier defensive lineman in the NFL. From 1977-87, he was a four-time Pro Bowler and two-time first team All Pro, shining at three different positions as a pass rusher and run stopper.

He said Coples, who is 6-foot-6 and 290 pounds, has the talent to be whatever he wants to be on the field, but doesn’t yet have that “it” quality that both Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson have.

“I don’t know him at all, but understanding attitude and body language, he sometimes comes out there I think and thinks ‘Don’t you know who I am? I’m here.’ He has to start proving that he is something to be reckoned with,” Klecko said.

“You have to have defensive players on the team that do that kind of play – go for the jugular vein, all out, all the time. And then everyone starts to listen you. If you have just a group of lukewarm guys, you’re going to have lukewarm players that will need to have to be picked up by their leaders,” he added.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has a point, but his language is pretty harsh.  At Coples age Joe was still at Temple.  This kid has two years in as a starter.  I think Coples is getting used to the system and setting the edge and that there are times that he looks like he is thinking.  As he learns the position he should be able to let loose more.  Sometimes it takes time for that happen, other times it never does.  At a minimum the kid is solid and shows flashes.  

Joe needs to get on the field with these guys - show them how to play with desire every play

It's kind of a catch 22 if Klecko was born with the physical skills of Coples, would he play with desire every play

It's kind of a catch 22 if Klecko was born with the physical skills of Coples, would he play with desire every play

Klecko didn't have the physical ability that Coples has, but he was an animal on the field. To me, a high motor is just as much a talent as a fast first step, or a rocket arm. You either have it, or you don't.

Klecko definitely had it.

He has a point, but his language is pretty harsh.  At Coples age Joe was still at Temple.  This kid has two years in as a starter.  I think Coples is getting used to the system and setting the edge and that there are times that he looks like he is thinking.  As he learns the position he should be able to let loose more.  Sometimes it takes time for that happen, other times it never does.  At a minimum the kid is solid and shows flashes.  

I agree. I could be wrong - but I expect Coples to be the most improved player on defense this year.

Klecko didn't have the physical ability that Coples has, but he was an animal on the field. To me, a high motor is just as much a talent as a fast first step, or a rocket arm. You either have it, or you don't.

yeah... fine... what I'm trying to say is that players like Klecko think that if only they were born with Coples natural skills, they'd be best ever to play

what they don't see is that his struggle is what made him who he is. And Coples lack of struggle made him who he is. 

this whole conversation could be applied to Clowney btw. He's a rich man's Coples.  Klecko's present day equivalent might be a guy like Kyle Williams. 

This is such a non-story, we're just bored waiting around for the draft trying to grab any content that comes up. Coples has been solid, not great. This is an important year for him. He was hindered last year by the change in the position and then his subsequent injury. Someone who doesn't know his position all that well will likely play more timid and look like he's lacking a high motor. In reality he probably just wasn't trusting his instincts or was unsure of exactly what to do. Any hesistation in the NFL makes you look slow. If he still looks like that at the end of this coming season then it is a bigger deal, but let's see what he does this year before we start calling him lazy/unproductive. He definitely shows flashes, I think it's just a matter of him figuring it out.

Different players, different skill sets...Klecko was a nose tackle, Coples a DE and now transitioned to OLB, big learning curve there for him. Plus the guy who made made the point about Kleco starting his career 2 years later than Coples did at their respective ages is extremely valid.  He is a slow learner but has tremendous upside.  He should be much improved with 2 years under his belt and one of those learning the ropes as an OLB.   

Coples was coming into his own end of his rookie season. Second season made to switch positions. Had to learn new position. Started coming into his own at that position. Will be better going into the third season. Nothing to look here.

P.S: I blame Kleckos comments on the lull in the off season caused by a delayed draft. Thanks commish!

To say coples has been solid is an overstatement ... I hope to God that the reason the jets aren't addressing their need for a pass rush is because they have faith in coples.

He sucks.

Where's the EFFING pass rush gonna come from!!!!!

To say coples has been solid is an overstatement ... I hope to God that the reason the jets aren't addressing their need for a pass rush is because they have faith in coples.

He sucks.

Where's the EFFING pass rush gonna come from!!!!!

Jets were tied for twelfth in the league in sacks yet finished 22nd against the pass. Pass rush wasn't the problem as much as absolutely putrid cornerback play.

Niners finished behind us in sacks. Seahawks finished with three more sacks than we did. That's less than one more time they tackle the QB for a loss than us every five games.

Packers finished tied with the Seahawks in sacks yet gave up over a thousand more yards a game passing.

LOL.  Um, yes.

I have had the good fortune to hang around him a few times at some Jets events.  He still has so much passion and energy.  The guy just strikes me as a big time hard worker.

Different players, different skill sets...Klecko was a nose tackle, Coples a DE and now transitioned to OLB, big learning curve there for him. Plus the guy who made made the point about Kleco starting his career 2 years later than Coples did at their respective ages is extremely valid.  He is a slow learner but has tremendous upside.  He should be much improved with 2 years under his belt and one of those learning the ropes as an OLB.   

Klecko went to to Pro Bowl at a NT,DE, and 4-3 DT.  he did a bit of transitioning himself.

I like Coples, and think he has played very well, all things considered.  Maybe Joe has stuck a stick in his eye that will push him to reach his full potential 

LOL.  Um, yes.

I have had the good fortune to hang around him a few times at some Jets events.  He still has so much passion and energy.  The guy just strikes me as a big time hard worker.

Plus, he was in Smokey and the Bandit. 

Klecko went to to Pro Bowl at a NT,DE, and 4-3 DT.  he did a bit of transitioning himself.

I like Coples, and think he has played very well, all things considered.  Maybe Joe has stuck a stick in his eye that will push him to reach his full potential 

Rex actually criticized Coples a bit too.  Once for not working out hard in the weight room, and I think he pushed for more out of him on the field a time or two also.  That wouldn't be news, but Rex is almost 100% positive on players to the media.  

former jets with media interests need to stfu

namath has a radio show, flaps his gums all the time

klecko has an SNY gig, now he's flappin

stfu

+1

----

I think that whole DL is going to play well. Kyle Van Noy in the 2nd or 3rd would be interesting with these guys.

Archived