Browns CB Haden gets big contract extension, so let's talk about Revis

faba

Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden has agreed to a five-year contract extension worth $68 million, a league source confirmed to ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

A total of $45 million guaranteed ($23 million fully). 

ProFootballTalk.com had earlier reported the terms of Haden's deal.

Haden's deal comes less than a week after Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawkssigned a four-year, $57.4 million contract extension, making him the league's highest-paid cornerback. That extension included $40 million in guaranteed money. 

Although Haden received more guaranteed money than Sherman, his contract is for a year longer than the Seahawks' cornerback meaning Sherman's agreement is still bigger when it comes to guaranteed new money.

Another corner who may be in line to receive big money is Arizona's Patrick Peterson, who said Monday he believes he's worth more than what Sherman received. Peterson and the Cardinals are in the early stages of negotiating an extension to the All-Pro's rookie contract.

The Browns announced Haden signed the extension, which runs through 2019.

"This is a great day for both Joe Haden and the Cleveland Browns,"  general Ray Farmer said. "Joe's a good, young player who's made a commitment to our organization, and he's somebody with whom we want to move forward in order to advance our football team. He's a great person. He's the right guy to both build with and build around as we attempt to become an elite football team. He's a true professional. When we talk about identifying talent, building through the draft, developing solid players and retaining them, Joe Haden's at the top of the list. I'm excited. Our team is excited."

Haden, selected with the seventh overall pick out of Florida in 2010, is coming off his first Pro Bowl appearance.  The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder has appeared in 57 career games, registering 13 interceptions, 68 passes defensed, three forced fumbles and two sacks.

Browns first-year coach Mike Pettine said getting a Haden deal done was a big move for the franchise.

"It's important for us," Pettine said. "To extend our core players and continue to grow with guys that represent everything we want this team to be: Tough, hard-working and passionate. Joe obviously loves his teammates, and he loves this city. I know he wants to keep growing and improving as a player. That's what we need, and that's what we want. These are the types of players we want to build around, that will help us grow and win consistently."

ESPN.com Browns reporter Pat McManamon, ESPN.com Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

insane market for DB's this year

mevis will be the big ticket next  year

it's a risk, but he will own the market next year

Even after Saunders chops his knees from under him and he rehabs again?  Mevi$ is pure 'sweep the leg" material.

insane market for DB's this year

mevis will be the big ticket next  year

it's a risk, but he will own the market next year

I don't see it. 

I think at this point in his career Revis is a year-to-year guy.   I don't see anyone tying up 30-40 million in guaranteed $ to a 30-year old CB with a reconstructed knee and a history of disgruntlement.  

Haden, Sherman, and Peterson all did it the right way.   No holdouts, no hissy fits at mini-camp, no nonsense.  

I don't see it. 

I think at this point in his career Revis is a year-to-year guy.   I don't see anyone tying up 30-40 million in guaranteed $ to a 30-year old CB with a reconstructed knee and a history of disgruntlement.  

Haden, Sherman, and Peterson all did it the right way.   No holdouts, no hissy fits at mini-camp, no nonsense.  

r u the real Lionel? if so, how u walk on that ceiling man, that was crazy-ass :)

I don't see it. 

Revis has already made a sh*t-ton of money, more per year than either of these guys are getting. He's scheduled to make $20M next season, and if the Pats don't honor that (or Revis gets hurt), he'll sign another huge short term deal next year.

It's fair to not like Revis, but if his goal was to make the most money, it's hard to argue with his methods. Or his results.

Deserves it - Haden's a stud. I can't wait to see what Peterson gets paid. I assume these guys are all sending Revis their thanks.

Remember last year when CBs weren't important to the modern game? Lawlz.

No entertainer deserves that much money. It's mental what meaningless careers make compared to needed ones.

From Twitter

Based on the deals for Sherman and Haden, it doesn't seem unrealistic that Revis could get back to $16M per on the open market next March.

fBa_iAUP_bigger.jpeg

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer

Retweet

Have to give credit to Revis as a businessman... he has had an unprecedented number of helpings at the free agency buffet and it looks like it's going to pay off at least one more time for him.

It's fair to not like Revis, but if his goal was to make the most money, it's hard to argue with his methods. Or his results.

True, but he doesn't get the peace of mind Sherman and Haden have and Peterson is about to get.  Revis tears his knee up again he may never see another dime after 2014.  The other 3 guys get paid regardless.

It's hardly a foregone conclusion that Revis will make more than either of these guys.  Both are younger, healthier, and have yet to give reason to believe they can't be trusted with such contracts.  Don't get me wrong, if he stays healthy I have no doubt he'll easily still get himself a very nice contract, but it is doubtful it will be long term or contain much in terms of guarantees.  Of course if he gets hurt, all bets are off.

It's hardly a foregone conclusion that Revis will make more than either of these guys.  Both are younger, healthier, and have yet to give reason to believe they can't be trusted with such contracts.  Don't get me wrong, if he stays healthy I have no doubt he'll easily still get himself a very nice contract, but it is doubtful it will be long term or contain much in terms of guarantees.  Of course if he gets hurt, all bets are off.

Even when you include these new contract extensions, Revis has already made more money than these guys are scheduled to make. And he'll cash in again next year, barring injury. If he signs another short term deal, that's just another shot at free agency for him.

Even when you include these new contract extensions, Revis has already made more money than these guys are scheduled to make. And he'll cash in again next year, barring injury. If he signs another short term deal, that's just another shot at free agency for him.

i think he took the pats deal because he recognized the DB market was soft and with guys like haden and peterson up for extensions, he bet (correctly) the market would go back up. i predict he signs a longterm deal after this season, which will be worth about 20% more than if he signed it this year. buy low, sell high at work.

I don't see it. 

he just needs one team to do something stupid.  he just needs a pick 6 in a playoff game.  he's a douche, but the market is only going up and at worst he's the 3rd best corner in the NFL

I don't see it.

I think at this point in his career Revis is a year-to-year guy. I don't see anyone tying up 30-40 million in guaranteed $ to a 30-year old CB with a reconstructed knee and a history of disgruntlement.

Haden, Sherman, and Peterson all did it the right way. No holdouts, no hissy fits at mini-camp, no nonsense.

Revis has averaged more $ per yr than any of the CB n he still has one big contract left next yr at age 30 (he's already made almost as much in the last 4 yrs than Sherman will make over the next FIVE yrs). Sherman, btw, will be making $1.4mil this yr. Haden is making about $7mil this yr. Revis is guaranteed $12mil this yr before he signs a monster contract next yr (3yrs $45mil?) assuming no more serious injuries.

he just needs one team to do something stupid. he just needs a pick 6 in a playoff game. he's a douche, but the market is only going up and at worst he's the 3rd best corner in the NFL

I don't think he needs a playoff pick 6 to prove he's still the best CB in the league.

I don't see it. 

No nonsense on their terms anyway. I'm sure these right way fellers will love it when they're unceremoniously cut and/or asked to restructure before those deals end.

Archived