Positives \ Negatives from the game?

Maxman

Hill looked ok. On one of the QB scrambles he had a really nice down-field block. If he can at least contribute that way, he'll bring something to the table.

Simms hit him in the hands -and he dropped it. Not sure how this guy can make the team doing that. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont know who you are or what your problem is.  but your rudeness against someone you do not know is uncalled for.  if opinions that you dont like to read bother you, dont read anything except what you write.  i have been a Jets fan since 1968.  i have watched many if not most their games between 1968 and the early 2000s, at Shea and Giants stadium.  I then retired to Fla and it became more impossibleto watch complete seasons on TV at home.  if Jetsnation is a place where the moderators allow people llke you to insult newcomers to this forum, then you will have your wish.  I therefore call on the sit'\s moderators to issue you a warning for unwarranted behavior.  Never think you can call other people names, and get away with it -- unless of course the moderators allow it here, in which case I shall leave.

The more you say it, the less believable it is. Even if true, being a fan since '68 doesn't make your opinion more relevant than anyone else's. That was a relatively rude response, but I'm not sure what you were expecting from the internet, tbh.

The more you say it, the less believable it is. Even if true, being a fan since '68 doesn't make your opinion more relevant than anyone else's. That was a relatively rude response, but I'm not sure what you were expecting from the internet, tbh.

What do you know? Ali is right. He is a fan from 1968. Me, 1967. What about you? Probably the 70's. Go away, trolltegrity28.

My take -away is that most life long football fans don't understand the purpose of pre season week 1.

This.

The reality is, there is absolutely nothing you can take away from that game other than nobody got seriously injured.

This.

The reality is, there is absolutely nothing you can take away from that game other than nobody got seriously injured.

Disagree pre-season games give you the opportunity to break down players and their ability to play in live action against others.

What you do or don't do in practice games is how you play in real games.

We have a few glaring needs.

I believe they will be addressed one way or another.

t

I agree wity you about Dimitri.  That play where he got burned leads me to believe he might get sliced up six ways till Sunday by the gauntlet of elite QBs the Jets will face the first half of the season.  As for the pre conceived notion thing, yes, I of course agree with that too:  my notion of Geno was formed last year.  I could be totally wrong about him, though, which is why the games are played.  My underlying worry goes beyond Geno and is aimed more at worrying if Rex -- whom I Ilke personally, especially given his ties to the 68 Jets -- is really an HC.  The resurfacing of his bombast this season really gave me cause for concern, as well as allowing players to make statements that willl make them targets when the preseason gloves come off.   It is important in football and life not to have illusions about one's actual abilities.  My other concern is of course the owner, at many many levels, but that is something the Jets have to live with -- at least he not Wismer:  it used during the Polo years that the Jets once ran to bank after practise and still in uniform to cash their paychecks, hoping they wouldnt bounce! .  That being said, Woody has a least brought some financial stability to the team, which is now valued at twice what he paid for them. I hope the new Jets have a fantastic season, and go deep into the playoffs.

The way I look at it is when Rex was talking were the good times. Him being a slender and quiet man hasn't worked real well. Let Rex be Rex. If he does't get to the playoffs this season, he's more than likely gone. If he does then it's working. Just let go and go with it lol

Geno being judged on last season is a difficult thing to do accurately. I'll reserve judgement for this year. He's got the confidence of the staff, who is an experienced staff, and the team. Let's see what's up.

positives :  only 2 minor injuries

mcdougal looks like he will contribute

johnson scored on an inside run near the goal line. 

not too many drops by the WR's that I can remember

no turnovers

vick is faster than most people cruising in 3rd gear

colon is a baaaaad dude.  very tough.  sets the tone

Negatives:  Geno still stares down his targets

toast patterson is just bad

harris still can't cover anyone

too many penalties

saunders needs to be told you can't act like benny hill during the chase scenes and return a punt.

Thanks Larz for the reminder David Harris looked incredible and seems to be in the best shape of his NFL football career.

all you need to do to complete a pass against this defense is find patterson or harris.  harris has his strengths and value, coverage is not one of them

Disagree pre-season games give you the opportunity to break down players and their ability to play in live action against others.

What you do or don't do in practice games is how you play in real games.

We have a few glaring needs.

I believe they will be addressed one way or another.

Maybe for the 2nd and 3rd stringers but drawing conclusion based on a couple of drives by the starters is stupid.

My take -away is that most life long football fans don't understand the purpose of pre season week 1.

Yup.

The things that should be concerning with the QBs:

1) Geno: the throwback when he was in the grasp. He can't do that, plain and simple. It's game 1 so I'm not too worried unless we see it continue. First game back and all that. But like people said, with slightly better DB positioning/awareness, that could have been a pick-6. In actuality it wasn't almost, but that kind of dangerous (and unnecessary) throw will eventually lead to that happening. 

He wasn't very consistent, but he also lost a first down due to the false start that they whistled dead late. Would have been a first down and the ill-advised sideline chuck never would have happened. 

2) Vick: the batted pass and off-target throw to Ivory.  The batted pass, if handled better or if it bounced up differently after getting deflected, also would have been an easy pick-6 (as either Eagle or Buttle said on the air). The throw to a wide open Ivory to his left, in the red zone, was just awful. It could be written off as rust, since he's not exactly getting a lot of work with the 1's, but at the same time he was never that accurate to begin with. Took a sack that, with his mobility, he shouldn't have. 

The good:

All the criticism above should be taken with more than a grain of salt. It's pre-season, the game doesn't count, and everyone's shaking off some rust.

Smith did have some good throws, throwing past the 1st down marker instead of only relying on a receiver breaking a tackle or using fast feet, including the one that didn't count. Keep in mind, NONE of it counts in pre-season so a completed pass that's called back is of the same value as one that isn't in a pre-season game. Also liked seeing him check down on the first drive. The usual Debbie Downers were mocking it but I liked seeing it. I didn't care about down & distance because the game doesn't count; it's practice. So his guys were covered downfield, he looked around and then went to his checkdown receiver rather than throwing it away and getting nothing, taking the sack, or forcing in a bad pass. He didn't do that nearly enough last year, so it is an improvement. Just have to realize the purpose of this game (for Smith) was for him to get better, or to demonstrate what he's learned, not for the team to win the game.

Vick: Did lead us to a TD drive. Sort of.  He's getting credit for a TD drive that only became a TD drive because it's pre-season and it doesn't matter who wins. In a real game that mattered, the drive would have stalled, and they would have kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th. Give him credit for converting it to Bohanon, but it's not like Indy was throwing the kitchen sink at us. Truthfully I don't even know if they still had all (or most) of their starters still in after 2-3 of their starters had to leave the field with injuries. Other good from Vick is he still has plenty of arm, can still move, and knows enough to stop surveying his receivers and take advantage of his mobility when he sees open field in front of him. Also with him, open field with 1 defender is the same as open field with 0 defenders since he jukes 1 player so effortlessly. Got close to a 1st on 3rd & 8 on Indy's 12-ish with his legs also.

Summary = good and bad from both, including both throwing what could have been pick-6 plays, but it's still freaking week 1. Anyone who wants can easily write a scathing review of either QB if that's the goal.

I wonder if the people who have been blindly defending this GM since he's been here based on nothing but wishful thinking will defend him for another draft that looks like it will produce one good player, if that, and a bunch of garbage and for completely and incompetently bungling the CB situation. 

Yup.

The things that should be concerning with the QBs:

1) Geno: the throwback when he was in the grasp. He can't do that, plain and simple. It's game 1 so I'm not too worried unless we see it continue. First game back and all that. But like people said, with slightly better DB positioning/awareness, that could have been a pick-6. In actuality it wasn't almost, but that kind of dangerous (and unnecessary) throw will eventually lead to that happening. 

He wasn't very consistent, but he also lost a first down due to the false start that they whistled dead late. Would have been a first down and the ill-advised sideline chuck never would have happened. 

2) Vick: the batted pass and off-target throw to Ivory.  The batted pass, if handled better or if it bounced up differently after getting deflected, also would have been an easy pick-6 (as either Eagle or Buttle said on the air). The throw to a wide open Ivory to his left, in the red zone, was just awful. It could be written off as rust, since he's not exactly getting a lot of work with the 1's, but at the same time he was never that accurate to begin with. Took a sack that, with his mobility, he shouldn't have. 

The good:

All the criticism above should be taken with more than a grain of salt. It's pre-season, the game doesn't count, and everyone's shaking off some rust.

Smith did have some good throws, throwing past the 1st down marker instead of only relying on a receiver breaking a tackle or using fast feet, including the one that didn't count. Keep in mind, NONE of it counts in pre-season so a completed pass that's called back is of the same value as one that isn't in a pre-season game. Also liked seeing him check down on the first drive. The usual Debbie Downers were mocking it but I liked seeing it. I didn't care about down & distance because the game doesn't count; it's practice. So his guys were covered downfield, he looked around and then went to his checkdown receiver rather than throwing it away and getting nothing, taking the sack, or forcing in a bad pass. He didn't do that nearly enough last year, so it is an improvement. Just have to realize the purpose of this game (for Smith) was for him to get better, or to demonstrate what he's learned, not for the team to win the game.

Vick: Did lead us to a TD drive. Sort of.  He's getting credit for a TD drive that only became a TD drive because it's pre-season and it doesn't matter who wins. In a real game that mattered, the drive would have stalled, and they would have kicked a FG instead of going for it on 4th. Give him credit for converting it to Bohanon, but it's not like Indy was throwing the kitchen sink at us. Truthfully I don't even know if they still had all (or most) of their starters still in after 2-3 of their starters had to leave the field with injuries. Other good from Vick is he still has plenty of arm, can still move, and knows enough to stop surveying his receivers and take advantage of his mobility when he sees open field in front of him. Also with him, open field with 1 defender is the same as open field with 0 defenders since he jukes 1 player so effortlessly. Got close to a 1st on 3rd & 8 on Indy's 12-ish with his legs also.

Summary = good and bad from both, including both throwing what could have been pick-6 plays, but it's still freaking week 1. Anyone who wants can easily write a scathing review of either QB if that's the goal.

Thanks! I didn't watch the game but now I feel like I did. Can always count on you for a fairly objective analysis. 

Completely untrue. You can take away that Paterson sucks pretty reliably. 

Sure looked that way...but he's been in the league a while and I'm not going to write him off because he couldnt keep his feet last night. 

Its really not a big deal...but dont let me stand in the way of overreacting to the most meaningless bullsh*t in sports. 

Sure looked that way...but he's been in the league a while and I'm not going to write him off because he couldnt keep his feet last night. 

Its really not a big deal...but dont let me stand in the way of overreacting to the most meaningless bullsh*t in sports. 

It's not meaningless bullsh*t. Everyone knew the Jets completely bungled the CB situation this offseason. This isn't a new thing. 

It's not meaningless bullsh*t. Everyone knew the Jets completely bungled the CB situation this offseason. This isn't a new thing. 

It complete meaningless bullsh*t.

Watch Patterson be lights out the next preseason game...then what?  lol

McDougle looked great.  Does that matter?

Other than not showing a viable passing game, and continuing to allow opposing passers to throw the ball all over the field, I think the team looked good.

I think what we're all dying to know is... how many rushing yards did we allow?

Thanks! I didn't watch the game but now I feel like I did. Can always count on you for a fairly objective analysis. 

The checkdown was 3rd & long (like 15, give or take). And he checked down to Ivory who got another 5+. We punted. It's written off as just stupid and mindless. The game doesn't count, though. I'm more concerned with him learning to get rid of the ball into the hands of a receiver who maybe can do something with it, as opposed to forcing in a bad pass when it isn't there, or taking a sack, or just throwing it away because he didn't even take the checkdown option when it was there. 

I didn't rewind it so I don't know who (if anyone) was open for a first down. If everyone was covered, we were punting anyway, and the checkdown at least gets another 10 yards of field position plus at least a chance at a 1st with a broken tackle. Just because you get the ball into the hands of your playmakers doesn't automatically mean they're going to make a play out of nothing. But they're certainly not going to if you're looking for low percentage all-or-none farther downfield and never give him the chance in the first place.

If you're looking at either of these 2 and judging based on the game being more than just drills, then you'll come away upset.  Both QBs did good and bad things.  Meanwhile Geno did complete 4 of 6 and 1 of the incomplete passes he was already in the grasp and was trying to throw it away to the sideline. I think that's what he was trying to do, with a receiver in the vicinity along the sideline, and that it came up short because he couldn't get any mustard on it with his legs wrapped up (the "almost" pick-6 that wasn't almost a pick-6).  It was dumb on his part, no matter whether he was trying to complete a pass or was throwing it away.  I actually don't remember the other one (online play by play says it was an attempt to Bohanon; I just don't remember the play). 

Vick looked like Vick. He looked more comfortable, but anyone who's watched him play over the years knows he looks incredibly "comfortable" even in games he's terrible because he's such a fluid athlete who makes everything look effortless. He flicks his wrist lightly and the ball travels 40 yards. Even in this nothing-game you can see why coaches have been in awe of his ability for so long. . That doesn't make him a good/smart/accurate QB, however, and really never did. He had that one outstanding season but with his talent he should have had 10 just like it or better.

The checkdown was 3rd & long (like 15, give or take). And he checked down to Ivory who got another 5+. We punted. It's written off as just stupid and mindless. The game doesn't count, though. I'm more concerned with him learning to get rid of the ball into the hands of a receiver who maybe can do something with it, as opposed to forcing in a bad pass when it isn't there, or taking a sack, or just throwing it away because he didn't even take the checkdown option when it was there. 

I didn't rewind it so I don't know who (if anyone) was open for a first down. If everyone was covered, we were punting anyway, and the checkdown at least gets another 10 yards of field position plus at least a chance at a 1st with a broken tackle. Just because you get the ball into the hands of your playmakers doesn't automatically mean they're going to make a play out of nothing. But they're certainly not going to if you're looking for low percentage all-or-none farther downfield and never give him the chance in the first place.

If you're looking at either of these 2 and judging based on the game being more than just drills, then you'll come away upset.  Both QBs did good and bad things.  Meanwhile Geno did complete 4 of 6 and 1 of the incomplete passes he was already in the grasp and was trying to throw it away to the sideline. I think that's what he was trying to do, with a receiver in the vicinity along the sideline, and that it came up short because he couldn't get any mustard on it with his legs wrapped up (the "almost" pick-6 that wasn't almost a pick-6).  It was dumb on his part, no matter whether he was trying to complete a pass or was throwing it away.  I actually don't remember the other one (online play by play says it was an attempt to Bohanon; I just don't remember the play). 

Vick looked like Vick. He looked more comfortable, but anyone who's watched him play over the years knows he looks incredibly "comfortable" even in games he's terrible because he's such a fluid athlete who makes everything look effortless. He flicks his wrist lightly and the ball travels 40 yards. Even in this nothing-game you can see why coaches have been in awe of his ability for so long. . That doesn't make him a good/smart/accurate QB, however, and really never did. He had that one outstanding season but with his talent he should have had 10 just like it or better.

People complaining about the checkdowns, who didnt see the receivers down the field, are the same people who would be going mental if he forced a throw down field and it was a pick.

The throw away to the sidelines wasnt nearly as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be.  The defender was a solid 5 years + away from the receiver and I thought it was pretty clear he was trying to throw it over his head but being that he was getting dragged to the ground he didnt get enough on it.

The throw that people should be focusing on was the dart to Decker, granted it was overturned, but thats exactly what you wanted to see from Geno.  He stepped up into a collapsing pocket and fired a perfect ball to Decker that would have allowed him to get some YAC.  Truth is, some of his best throws last year were in a similar capacity...its encouraging to see.

People complaining about the checkdowns, who didnt see the receivers down the field, are the same people who would be going mental if he forced a throw down field and it was a pick.

The throw away to the sidelines wasnt nearly as dangerous as everyone is making it out to be.  The defender was a solid 5 years + away from the receiver and I thought it was pretty clear he was trying to throw it over his head but being that he was getting dragged to the ground he didnt get enough on it.

The throw that people should be focusing on was the dart to Decker, granted it was overturned, but thats exactly what you wanted to see from Geno.  He stepped up into a collapsing pocket and fired a perfect ball to Decker that would have allowed him to get some YAC.  Truth is, some of his best throws last year were in a similar capacity...its encouraging to see.

Well I liked that (and the other one) for 2 reasons. One, it means he's looking for guys past the sticks. Two, it means guys are running patterns past the sticks. And getting open. And not dropping it. Except Hill.

I may watch the first half again, and look for more subtle things, since I wasn't really glued to the TV last night.

Thought there were plenty of positives - McDougle, Amaro and Milliner all looked good.  The D is going to be nasty this year.

However my biggest concern as usual is the O Line.  Sure hope there's lots of training camp cuts to choose from.

Thought there were plenty of positives - McDougle, Amaro and Milliner all looked good.  The D is going to be nasty this year.

However my biggest concern as usual is the O Line.  Sure hope there's lots of training camp cuts to choose from.

I think McDougle and Amaro are going to be shutting up a lot of people by about 6 games in.

Milliner doesn't concern me. I think he can play, always have. Corner is NOT an easy position to succeed in as a rookie. Revis wasn't even Revis as a rook.

I can't wait to see this defense when they are actually trying to get to the QB, unleash Coples, Babin, Pace and our DL, and with Pryor on the backend. WOO!!!

I think McDougle and Amaro are going to be shutting up a lot of people by about 6 games in.

Milliner doesn't concern me. I think he can play, always have. Corner is NOT an easy position to succeed in as a rookie. Revis wasn't even Revis as a rook.

I can't wait to see this defense when they are actually trying to get to the QB, unleash Coples, Babin, Pace and our DL, and with Pryor on the backend. WOO!!!

We ran a vanilla defense in the first preseason game!!! AAAAAAAaaaaaaaah!!!!1!!!1!!!

We ran a vanilla defense in the first preseason game!!! AAAAAAAaaaaaaaah!!!!1!!!1!!!

If you don't see the difference between complaining about the playcalling in the preseason (which is dumb) and pointing out that the team isn't talented enough and that certain players aren't very good, (things that haven't changed from 6 months ago) I'm not sure what to say. 

Patterson looked not so good. I can't believe with all the corners on the market this off season we didn't land one of them. Well, here is hoping that Pryor is the real deal and having him roaming around in the backfield is gonna make receivers scared to catch balls.

Whiffing on all the CBs available in free agency could absolutely come back to haunt Idzik and the Jets. Patterson looked absolutely horrendous out there. Luck didn't slice his way thru the Jets so much as he sliced right thru Patterson and a little thru Wilson. I know he's supposed to be nursing some kind of injury, but based on last night, I'd be more concerned about a roster spot than a spot in the starting lineup. The good news here was that Luck completely avoided Milliner Island.

The starting OL was a concern, particularly Breno, but I'm okay with shaky OL play in the first preseason game when there are new parts involved. These guys have to learn to play with each other.

Decker is a massive improvement over what we had last year, and Amaro looked better than I expected. Chris Johnson also looks like a nice pickup. A lot of new parts overall on offense, and I think it's gonna take a while for the whole group to get it together. Hopefully it's close enough by opening day.

Archived