Eric Decker takes high road while Rex rips Schlereth

Lizard King

Brian Lewis

September 5, 2014 | 8:17pm

Eric Decker takes high road while Rex rips Schlereth

Eric Decker

Photo: Getty Images

After ESPN analyst and former Bronco Mark Schlereth in essence called Eric Decker an overrated crybaby, the Jets’ new receiver refused to get in a war of words and said his play would speak for him. But in case that’s not enough, Gang Green’s coach and players spoke up for him, too.

“Am I surprised? I guess, yeah. I mean, I don’t know how to answer that. We did interviews in Denver a couple times, and it always was good,’’ Decker said Friday.

Asked if Schlereth’s comments seemed over-the-top, Decker responded: “Like it was a little personal? Really, I’m just going to handle my business. I’ve got more things to worry about as far as getting ready for the Oakland Raiders.

“There was never anything that I could think of that’d give us to have beef. I’m not going to get into a battle of who-said-what or how-he-feels-about-what. He said what he said, and he’s obligated to his opinion. We’ll just move on. … I’m going to let my talking be on the field. That’s really what will in time prove itself.”

ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth

Photo: ESPN

According to Schlereth — an offensive lineman who during his 12-year career won two Super Bowls in Denver, where Decker played the first four seasons of his career— that will take a lot of proving.

Schlereth said he isn’t impressed with the receiver’s ability or attitude, calling him a “product of that [broncos] offense” who would catch just 40-to-50 passes this year, after he snared a combined 172 the last two campaigns to earn a five-year, $36.25 million deal.

“Decker in my mind was your fourth option in Denver, and that’s the talent I think he has. I think he’s a marginal No. 2 at best,” Schlereth said Wednesday on ESPN radio. “The worst cover guy you have on your defense is assigned to Eric Decker every week. New York will go crazy watching him be covered 1-on-1 and incomplete passes, throwing his arms up, begging for flags.

“I’m telling you New York, get ready, begging for flags like ‘I was interfered with. That’s the only reason I didn’t catch that ball,’ every play, and then tripping over his own feet. Going for a big play and all of a sudden the turf monster gets him, ‘Bam!’ sniper, down. It’ll drive you crazy. It’ll absolutely drive you crazy.’’

Though Decker took the high road, his new teammates came to his defense.

“It sounded like jealousy to me,” fellow wide receiver David Nelson told The Post. “I don’t know why you’d ever come out and bash a guy, especially as a former player, why you’d come out and say something like that about somebody. That’s inaccurate, first of all. It’s unfortunate that someone like that has to come out and say those things.

“Decker hasn’t come out there and beat his chest, he hasn’t come out here and bragged about himself. I don’t know what the reasoning was to come out and put him down. It sounded like there was something deeper there. It just didn’t sound very professional. There’s a way as an analyst to criticize a player and how he plays: I think he crossed the line.’’

Veteran offensive lineman Willie Colon also wondered if Schlereth’s comments were personally driven.

Eric Decker is the top target in the Jets’ revamped receiving corps.

Photo: AP

“I heard about it. I like Mark Schlereth. I like how he stands up for the O-line, I like his ability to be open on TV. I don’t know if there’s something [personal],’’ Colon said. “But I know Decker, the kid loves football, he’s passionate about it. … When you hear comments like that as a player all you’ve got to do is do what you do to prove those comments wrong.’’

While a Jets public relations staffer was trying to defuse him, coach Rex Ryan shot back that Schlereth has a history of his critiques being proven wrong — including when he ripped defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, whom Ryan coached as a Baltimore assistant.

“Thanks, because you know I’d fire back at this dude. He was a great player, there’s no question. By the way, he makes some darn good salsa, too. I’m going to give him some props. I’m not going to say he’s got bad salsa, because he’s got great salsa,’’ Ryan said jokingly, referring to Schlereth’s Stinkin’ Good chile sauce.

“But I just remember something he said about Ngata when he came out that just shows he’s not 100 percent on his opinions on players. So again, we’ll get to see, and it starts with Oakland on Sunday.’’

For the record, Schlereth said this about Ngata after the 2006 draft: “He’s on the ground more than grass,’’ adding, “You can’t be taking a nap on the field.’’

Ryan remembered the quote verbatim eight years later; rest assured, Decker will remember on Sunday, protestations to the contrary.

Additional reporting by Mark Cannizzaro

FILED UNDER ERIC DECKER, NEW YORK JETS, REX RYAN

Pretty much baseless.  Sounds like his wife thinks Decker is 'Hot"!!  Sounds a little jealous. I used to like Schlereth, but he has no clue what he is talking about.  Every WR is a product of a system.  Put Megatron in Sparano's system with Sanchez running it and he catches 40 balls max.

where's the part where rex rips him a new one? all I see is rex's regular "well he's gotten stuff right but he's mistaken on this" routine.

I heard the interview when it aired. it did have a personal feel. ryan ruocco and dave rothenberg, who were hosting the radio show, sounded shocked by his comments - almost like they didn't know what to even say about it. they clearly weren't expecting that kind of attack.

I just listened to the interview. Should have skipped it. What an idiot. Decker is going to be tripping over his own feet? LOL. Only 40 catches? Nelson caught 36 with Geno in his rookie year, while only playing 13 games. So, yeah.... wow.

Exaxctly! He's gonna got from Peyton's clutch man with 173 to 40 and tripping over his own feet... LOL. Yeah, ok.

I AM SO OUTRAGED!!!!!!! HOW DARE ANYONE SAY SOMETHING NEGATIVE ABOUT MY JETS OR ANYONE ON MY JETS!!!!!!!!

I AM SO FILLED WITH RAGE THAT I AM GOING TO MCDONALDS RIGHT NOW AND GETTING THAT SANGWHICH THING WITH THE PANCAKES AS THE BREAD PART OF THE SAGWHICH!!!!!! MAYBE I WILL GET TWO I AM SO ANGRY!!!!

I HOPE IT CALMS MY RAGE!!!!!!!!!

First of all Rex didn't "rip" Schlereth, he essentially defended Decker while avoiding ripping Schlereth, then tried to smooth it over by joking about how much he loves Schlereth's salsa.

Secondly @steve, people aren't upset at criticism of Jets players, our players get criticized all the time; people are upset at how personal this seemed and how ridiculous the assessment was. Schlereth said Decker would only catch 40-50 passes this season, that's like 3 receptions a game! As someone said above, even Nelson had 36 in last year's horrible offense, and Kerley had 43 and I think everyone in the league would say Decker is better than Kerley, including Schlereth..well..maybe?

First of all Rex didn't "rip" Schlereth, he essentially defended Decker while avoiding ripping Schlereth, then tried to smooth it over by joking about how much he loves Schlereth's salsa.

Secondly @steve, people aren't upset at criticism of Jets players, our players get criticized all the time; people are upset at how personal this seemed and how ridiculous the assessment was. Schlereth said Decker would only catch 40-50 passes this season, that's like 3 receptions a game! As someone said above, even Nelson had 36 in last year's horrible offense, and Kerley had 43 and I think everyone in the league would say Decker is better than Kerley, including Schlereth..well..maybe?

Rex was pretty classy about it. Headline writers are the scum of the earth.

Exaxctly! He's gonna got from Peyton's clutch man with 173 to 40 and tripping over his own feet... LOL. Yeah, ok.

Crazy. Boobs believe the QBs create completions. No. The best ones do find second and third receivers. They do not get those guys open. Decker is a big guy. I think he will get his catches against big CBs. And he will destroy zone. He will also get some YAC. Just a question of how much Geno sees in his second year. Decker will be a first option a lot of the time.

Yeah, and??

who gives a crap? How does that change what will happen on the field? Maybe it will motivate Decker to be even better?

Media guys get paid money to analyze things, and to throw opinions out there. They keep their jobs when they create ratings.

I will never understand why fans get their panties in such a wad over what someone in the media says. Particularly the same fans who love how Rex talks big.

What a Soap Opera starring former offensive guard says about our WR really does not mean anything at all, zilch. What happens on the field is what matters.

What O'Conner says about the Giants being better than the Jets, really does not mean squat, just as when Rex said the Jets were better than the Giants, it obviously did not mean much since the Giants won the SB in Rex's time here, and we have not yet.

Crazy. Boobs believe the QBs create completions. No. The best ones do find second and third receivers. They do not get those guys open. Decker is a big guy. I think he will get his catches against big CBs. And he will destroy zone. He will also get some YAC. Just a question of how much Geno sees in his second year. Decker will be a first option a lot of the time.

3rd and 4th receivers have Nickel backs and LB's covering them.

Let's see if Decker can get separation against opposing teams #1 CB.

I can see people wondering how much Manning had to do with Deckers numbers but what does Manning have to do with Decker staying on his feet? He won't be able to stop tripping over himself because of Geno? Does Mannings greatness extend that far? Without Manning Decker becomes a whining b1tch, begging for calls?

Yeah because so many teams have corners who completely shutdown WRs. Because his size, strength and speed says he should have trouble getting separation.

Tell that to Jarrett Boykin who spent all game with Richard Sherman on him Thursday.  No team exclusively lines up a Nickel or LB on the third or fourth WR just like they don't always have their top CB shadow the opposing team's #1 WR.  Decker saw plenty of coverage last year from top CBs, this whole message just seemed very bitter.  Sure, Decker will see more attention now that he doesn't have the Demyrius and Julius opposite him, but he's not going to have his production fall by 60% or whatever Stink was suggesting. 

You're missing my point.

Decker has never went up against #1 CB's in his entire career.

I keep reading this. Says who? How many teams match up their corners to switch sides to cover a particular WR? Revis does it, goes from left to right side when they want him on someone, most corners don't. Better yet, can't.

I keep reading this. Says who? How many teams match up their corners to switch sides to cover a particular WR? Revis does it, goes from left to right side when they want him on someone, most corners don't. Better yet, can't.

Decker had 44 catches and 8 tds in 2011 from QB's Tebow and Orton in his 2nd year.. 1st rd pick Demaryius Thomas also in his 2nd year had 32 with 5 tds.. And Decker also had a 90 yd punt return. :jawdrop:

It feels like Schlereth was told by the suits to get more 'controversial'.  He's not very good at it but give him time and he'll figure it out.  Any of the talking heads commented on Eli's less-than-stellar showing this pre-season on top of the turd he dropped last season?

mark schlereth sucks. heres a great funny article about him on deadspin. Not sure how to post the article but I copied and pasted the link and the story.

http://deadspin.com/5367816/mark-schlereth-is-awful-and-needs-to-be-liquidated

There are baffling success stories in this world. There always have been. But one of the most puzzling ones is how Mark goddamn Schlereth has somehow become the most omnipresent football analyst on ESPN.

You can't avoid this a$$hole if you tune into ESPN anymore. There he is on SportsCenter. There he is on NFL Live. There he is on ESPNNEWS. There he is as the third ingredient in Mike and Mike's bloody stool sandwich. He's everywhere, and he blows, and it needs to stop.

The obvious counter to this complaint is, "Hey, just don't watch ESPN." But that's exactly the problem. I WANT to ******* watch ESPN. I want ESPN to be good and watchable, and not ******* putrid. That's why this site has criticized ESPN so often. We used to like it, and we would very much like to like it again. Yet time and again, Mark ******* Schlereth is what we get. I'd rather have Salisbury on the screen. I really would. At least he'll get sh*tfaced and send me his suicide note later in the evening.

Schlereth represents the very worst of ESPN's tendency to hire former players and coaches who have NOTHING useful to say, make pointless predictions with no substantive reasoning behind them, constantly talk about their playing careers, and believe that football analyst and motivational speaker are the same goddamn vocation. (See the ******* Dr. Lou segments on GameDay. I dare you to make it past the thirty-second mark.) If Schlereth isn't busy saying something worthless on camera, then he's probably saying something flat-out idiotic. Just this week, he argued the NFL shouldn't have fined Flozell Adams for tripping (and injuring) Justin Tuck. My Pinstripes has the details:

Schlereth contends that you have to stop the defender from getting to the QB no matter what. That if he had been fined every time he tried to trip a player, he'd have "played for free". Schlereth actually wants the union to step in to do something about these type of fines.

So here we have one of the dirtier linemen of the 90's (who played on a dirty line in Denver) bragging that he used to trip defenders all the time, and that it's okay, and that linemen should do everything in their power to keep the rusher from getting to the QB, even if it means drawing an obvious penalty. Does this sound like a man who often pissed his pants on the field? **** and yes, it does.

And that's about the only memorable opinion Schlereth has given at any time in his many forgettable years at the WWL. Look at this righteous a$$hole's Twitter page. Like people boldly picking fights with readers about whether or not TO is a team player? Or seeing an old player bitch out Chad Ochocinco for not playing the game the right way? ("Have you ever loved the game and the men you play with so much that your willing to check yourself out of the hospital the morning after surgery and drive yourself to the stadium and line up with your team? See, I have and that's what give me authority to call out anyone who is putting themself above the team!") Or in-depth statements like "Cowboys great response by both D and O!" You're in luck!

To the ****heads at ESPN who put this a$$hole on camera thirteen hours a day, STOP. ******* STOP. Watch the empty, vacuous dogsh*t you're putting on the air, and do something about it. Hire someone with a goddamn grain of personality and humor. I don't care who. Put a ******* Beagle in that seat. Someone. Anyone. They have to be better than this a$$hole. It's like watch an eight-hour Andy Reid press conference. And if you really think guys like Schlereth are the best you can offer, then GET ****ED. GET ****ED AND DIE NAKED IN AN ABANDONED MINE SHAFT.

I hate Mark Schlereth. Nice goatee, dipsh*t.

Archived