Geno not progressing, Really Really Really?

DRJETS

That is the problem, blackout.  There is no playmakers on this team when the field cannot be stretched inside the 20, other than Decker and he had been sideline with a hammy.  Kerley is a nice addition but it is impossible to throw to him over the top because of his height.

That INT in the end zone had me scratching my head.  I just don't know what he saw there to make him think that he can fit the ball in there.  Forget having playmakers or not.  What the hell was he thinking?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game buddy.  Johnson didn't put up the numbers last night but you can't tell me that he isn't a upgrade over Goodson.  Decker is a clear upgrade even if he has been out.   I don't know where you are coming from saying that this years offense isnt better than last when it clearly is.  

He is a downgrade over Powell, DEFINITELY, that is if you REALLY watched the game yesterday.  Did you read my last post?  Where had Decker been since the second quarter against the Packers?

He is a downgrade over Powell, DEFINITELY, that is if you REALLY watched the game yesterday. Did you read my last post? Where had Decker been since the second quarter against the Packers?

Maybe he is a downgrade but Powell still plays. Decker has been injured since the second quarter but that doesn't mean he isn't on the time or won't play next week. He makes an immediate difference when he is on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That INT in the end zone had me scratching my head.  I just don't know what he saw there to make him think that he can fit the ball in there.  Forget having playmakers or not.  What the hell was he thinking?

He put it up there, the thing is that our WRs are craps and feel the right to seat waiting for the ball instead of fighting for it helping their young QB just like Sudfeld who stared looking at the ball allowing a 5'8 DB to grab the ball in front of him against the Packers.

Maybe he is a downgrade but Powell still plays. Decker has been injured since the second quarter but that doesn't mean he isn't on the time or won't play next week. He makes an immediate difference when he is on the field.

Reall, Really, Really? that was my point how this offense as of now without Decker from the second quarter against the Packers is better talents on the field than last year? 

Reall, Really, Really? that was my point how this offense as of now without Decker from the second quarter against the Packers is better talents on the field than last year?

I understand what you are saying but the fact of the matter is that Decker will be there.

I understand what you are saying but the fact of the matter is that Decker will be there.

Thank you for getting my point.  The hammy could linger for the remaining of the year.   

Listen when I get enough of Geno and I believe in my heart that he is not the answer for the long term future then I will throw him under the bus just as I did with Sanchez.  But right now looking at the big picture it is just not right, it doesn't feel right that this guy starting in his 19 games do not get the benefit of the doubt with the supporting cast given to him. 

Had you guys not seen the drop on his plays ever since Decker went down? Yesterday, he had like 7 trip to the red zone moving the ball well but when you cannot stretch the field, it is hard when there is no playmakers on your team.  Our receivers they are just not good, Nelson probably need a minute to be able separate from his defender and when he get the ball there is no yards after the catch.  I don't think this guy should be on any team let alone be starting for an NFL team. 

It doesnt. But it does explain why were an abortion in the redzone. It's hard to score points from the 20 and in when our receivers cant win one on one matchups. You can scheme guys open between the 20's...inside the 20's you need playmakers. The Bears have three huge matchup nightmares that Cutler can just lob the ball up to in the RZ. We have 5'10 Jeremy Kerley and David f'ing Nelson...who is HORRIBLE.

This, to me, seems innocuous but is the POTW.

Ultimately, Geno still makes too many dumb mistakes.  His accuracy seems to be meh, but not awful.  But, he's also making a bunch of positive plays... Many more than Sanchez, and I don't really thing it's debatable.  With Decker hurt especially, we get into the redzone and have no options.  Every team has someone they throw a back corner fade to except for us.  We have no one that in a small space can go up and get the ball.  We needed Hill to work out, and he just couldn't do it.  We need Amaro to step up, but he's clearly not there.  We have no match-up problems until Amaro does step up.

In short, as it seems you're saying, Geno's problem isn't lack of weapons, but he will never take a meaningful step forward, even if he eliminates the dumb throws, unless he's got someone worth throwing the ball to in the red zone.

Ultimately, Geno still makes too many dumb mistakes.  His accuracy seems to be meh, but not awful.  But, he's also making a bunch of positive plays... Many more than Sanchez, and I don't really thing it's debatable.  With Decker hurt especially, we get into the redzone and have no options.  Every team has someone they throw a back corner fade to except for us.  We have no one that in a small space can go up and get the ball.  We needed Hill to work out, and he just couldn't do it.  We need Amaro to step up, but he's clearly not there.  We have no match-up problems until Amaro does step up.

In short, as it seems you're saying, Geno's problem isn't lack of weapons, but he will never take a meaningful step forward, even if he eliminates the dumb throws, unless he's got someone worth throwing the ball to in the red zone.

It's certainly worth stating.  If Geno had someone like Marshall, Jeffery or CJ to throw to, it's not out of the realm of possibilies that over the course of the last two weeks we convert on two or three of our 9 red zone trips.  If that happens, he basically becomes Cutler or Stafford who makes those bone-headed plays, but you forgive it a bit more because he's putting up points on the board and winnings games.  I said it all last season, but Geno and this offense are one big-play receiver away from being quite good.  We're 8th in the league in total offense, we just need to stop f*cking up in the red-zone, pretty simple.  

I'll say this, as many of those poor decisions Geno made, he's driven us down the field each game with the chance to win or tie.  He's clearly improving, just needs to be more consistent with his decision making.

Marty deserves blame here too. We'd all love a #1 receiver to throw the back shoulder to in the endzone, but we dont. Ask any Eagles fan- Marty pulled the same crap there too. Up and down the field and then stall in the RZ. Run the ball- force teams to guess what were running...you're not scheming guys open with 10 yards of real estate to work with when youre telling the other team were passing by going with an empty backfield. The only was this works is if you have Aaron Rodgers who can manipulate the pocket, roll out and throw a laser beam across his body between two defenders to Cobb or Nelson tiptoeing the sideline or the back of the endzone.

I hear ya but as many have said you gotta solve the qb question first. How can you ever do that if any qb is doomed due to da badderest weaponzz so you can never evaluate himand know whether you got the guy? Geno doesnt pass the smell test. Period.

Funny the Bengals went about it the opposite way, they got the stud playmaking WR first, then took the QB.  Swap out Dalton for Smith, and the Jets are still 1-2, and the Bengals are still 3-0.  Swap AJ Green, and Sanu for Decker, and Nelson the Jets are 3-0, and the Bengals are 1-2.

It's certainly worth stating.  If Geno had someone like Marshall, Jeffery or CJ to throw to, it's not out of the realm of possibilies that over the course of the last two weeks we convert on two or three of our 9 red zone trips.  If that happens, he basically becomes Cutler or Stafford who makes those bone-headed plays, but you forgive it a bit more because he's putting up points on the board and winnings games.  I said it all last season, but Geno and this offense are one big-play receiver away from being quite good.  We're 8th in the league in total offense, we just need to stop f*cking up in the red-zone, pretty simple.  

I'll say this, as many of those poor decisions Geno made, he's driven us down the field each game with the chance to win or tie.  He's clearly improving, just needs to be more consistent with his decision making.

Exactly, I had been watching the Jets forever and I don't remember, a Jets offense moving the ball like this.  We, probably have to go back to Vinny in 98.  And the most amazing thing is that he is doing it with scrap metal receivers.  I really don't have any confidence in Idzik to get a playmaker, his track record over the last few years speak for itself whether in free agency or the drafts but I will really love to pair Geno with Josh Gordon along with a healthy Decker for the final 6 games of the season to see what he is made of. 

Marty deserves blame here too. We'd all love a #1 receiver to throw the back shoulder to in the endzone, but we dont. Ask any Eagles fan- Marty pulled the same crap there too. Up and down the field and then stall in the RZ. Run the ball- force teams to guess what were running...you're not scheming guys open with 10 yards of real estate to work with when youre telling the other team were passing by going with an empty backfield. The only was this works is if you have Aaron Rodgers who can manipulate the pocket, roll out and throw a laser beam across his body between two defenders to Cobb or Nelson tiptoeing the sideline or the back of the endzone.

Agreed on running.  But, I don't think we need a "true #1", just some more size out there that isn't incompetent.  David Nelson doesn't fill the role of red-zone threat.  Hopefully Amaro will start to.

That's the thing...we actually move the football. We get nice throws down the field. Marty needs to be locked away once we reach the opposing teams 30 and in.

The Jets can move the ball but when it tightens up inside the 20 they fail and most of that fail is Geno Smith

+1

Year after year, Woody seems intent on turning the org chart into spaghetti. If Rex goes, so do Marty and Thurman and Lee and Dunbar. If Idzik goes, so do Graves and Bradway and Bauer. **** cleaning house. We need to napalm the house, piss on the ashes, salt the earth, and build a new house five miles down the road.

Nice try dbatesman. Relax guys this is just a metaphor. He doesn't really want the stadium napalmed or the earth salted.

Geno can play. He's young and surrounded by sh*t. He needs to correct the boneheaded mistakes but he's a playmaker. Jets haven't had that at QB in a while. He's definitely progressing.

Last night was on Marty. If Ivory carries the rock 20+ times, the Jets win. Instead, he had Geno drop back 40+ times throwing to the likes of David Nelson and Greg Salas asking him to make plays when it was totally unnecessary.

That's because the Bears were loading up the box. There really was nowhere to run and the Bears secondary was held together with scotch tape.

They were primed to be blown out but luckily for them they had the NFL's worse ranked QB last year to go up against.

Didnt we have the most offensive passing yards in the first half in like over a decade. I know i called for Simms and i still think he has more potential than Geno, but you cant deny that there are more good things than bad. He's needs a true 1 not Decker with this in and out bs. David Nelson is another joke and waste of a roster spot. 

Please stop yammering for Vick. We are trying to build a damn franchise, not win one for the Gipper....

Funny the Bengals went about it the opposite way, they got the stud playmaking WR first, then took the QB.  Swap out Dalton for Smith, and the Jets are still 1-2, and the Bengals are still 3-0.  Swap AJ Green, and Sanu for Decker, and Nelson the Jets are 3-0, and the Bengals are 1-2.

At this point id be happy if idzik starting building around a right guard.

I've said this many times before on this board and gotten killed for saying it. Geno is a good NFL Qb . The real problem is The Jets themselves the keep acting like he's the next manning and have to prove to everyone that he is! He needs help to win games with a good Running game and Defense. He's inconstant is what he is and misses open receivers . What this means is we will win anywhere from 7-9 games a year and once in a while if it all goes well we will win 10-12

Geno can play. He's young and surrounded by sh*t. He needs to correct the boneheaded mistakes but he's a playmaker. Jets haven't had that at QB in a while. He's definitely progressing.

Last night was on Marty. If Ivory carries the rock 20+ times, the Jets win. Instead, he had Geno drop back 40+ times throwing to the likes of David Nelson and Greg Salas asking him to make plays when it was totally unnecessary.

the same thing can be said of sanchez but everyone hates him give geno another yr of this and what......

Pick 6 on third play of game, holding on to the ball too long for drive killing sacks, inaccurate throws. Same as it ever was...

he has to learn to sidestep rushes or to just go down like peyton does.  running backwards 13 yards works in high school, not the NFL

I've said this many times before on this board and gotten killed for saying it. Geno is a good NFL Qb . The real problem is The Jets themselves the keep acting like he's the next manning and have to prove to everyone that he is! He needs help to win games with a good Running game and Defense. He's inconstant is what he is and misses open receivers . What this means is we will win anywhere from 7-9 games a year and once in a while if it all goes well we will win 10-12

After reading this I feel I now have ADD.

Interesting stat:

In the first two games, Smith's completion rate was 73.5 percent with Decker on the field and 27.3 percent when he wasn't, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

I know lack of weaponz is never accepted for poor performance's by our QB's around these parts but have to say this stat is pretty mind boggling.

Shouldn't he retire? I mean that sucks. He said he would retire when he sucked. 

Keeping track at home, in the last few days alone Kleck has now compared Geno Smith to Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, Tom Brady and Matt Ryan.

One of these things is not like the others. 

Is there anyone, even the most ardent lovers/defenders of Geno Smith, that thinks his upside is at best more than an average game manager if he has some good targets and a solid running game? 

Archived