Why exactly did the Jets sign Vick again?

Freemanm

Not to rehash obvious arguments, but I was under the impression that they signed him so that he could takeover if Geno sputtered or got injured-and not to be Tebow version 2.0.

Also, I said in the offseason that Idzik dropped the ball in a major way with the cb spot. All of you said don't worry about it back in June. All I know is that not only did the secondary have no answers for Calvin Johnson, Ashlon Jefferies or Nelson, it looked like they didn't even understand the question.

Mark my words, the Pats will part ways with Revis at or near the deadline, as they are finding out that he's not the impact player he claims to be. Not saying we should go for him, but...

Not to rehash obvious arguments, but I was under the impression that they signed him so that he could takeover if Geno sputtered or got injured-and not to be Tebow version 2.0.

Also, I said in the offseason that Idzik dropped the ball in a major way with the cb spot. All of you said don't worry about it back in June. All I know is that not only did the secondary have no answers for Calvin Johnson, Ashlon Jefferies or Nelson, it looked like they didn't even understand the question.

Mark my words, the Pats will part ways with Revis at or near the deadline, as they are finding out that he's not the impact player he claims to be. Not saying we should go for him, but...

Not for nothin' but it was Golden Tate and not Calvin Johnson who torched us. Calvin Johnson barely played and when he did he was ineffective. 

I think the Vick signing was smart on a lot of levels. Vick didn't have much success in Chip Kelly's offense - but he did pretty decent in it. Also, I felt from the beginning that Geno would get about 5-6 games to prove himself in the beginning of this season. I feel like, even at his age, for 10 games a year Vick can be a very good QB, even one of the top QB's in the league. 

Revis fit our defense well ...the pressure schemes allowed  him to play in a very small window and he was very good at it. With the pressure on, a good CB knows he will probably not get burned over the top so he can be more aggressive within 15 yards. Most teams played into this because they were forced to and our defense dictated how the game would go. As soon as teams worked out their protection issues and gave the QB some time our Defense got ordinary really fast. I suspect Revis is a good corner outside this scheme not the great one he was within it.

Just  because you are ready to give up on Geno doesn't mean the Jets are ready. If Geno comes out this week and throws 2 really bad INTs to start the game and the jets bench him for Vick and Vick leads us to a win that will be the end for Geno this year. 

Unfortunately, fans like yourself in this new "twitter"/"needs result now" generation have zero patience. I rather give Geno 1 too many weeks than 1 too few. 

"All of you said"? gimme a break.

Just because you are ready to give up on Geno doesn't mean the Jets are ready. If Geno comes out this week and throws 2 really bad INTs to start the game and the jets bench him for Vick and Vick leads us to a win that will be the end for Geno this year.

Unfortunately, fans like yourself in this new "twitter"/"needs result now" generation have zero patience. I rather give Geno 1 too many weeks than 1 too few.

I've been waiting for a Super Bowl for well over 20 years now, so I'm actually patients. The guy who really needs to have a win now attitude is Rex Ryan. If the Jets (and Geno) don't show improvement on the field soon, we all know that Rex will probably be shown the door. If I were him, I would start Vick before this season is truly over.

You're right, my bad. The point is still valid, though. The best Idzik could do was to sign a washed up flake names Dmitri Patterson who's not even playing anymore

It's my understanding that Idzik isn't signing any free agent CBs until he has his QB. 

The Jets signed Vick because:

1. He was the best "veteran backup" available this offseason, specifically for a M.M. Coached Offense, an offense he's played in and done well in before.

2. He was described as a "good locker room influence" on his previous team.

3. He was one of Geno Smiths idols, and a similar type of skill-set to Geno Smith.

4. He sells jerseys.

5. He brings/brought media attention.

6. He was affordable for a #2 QB.

They clearly did not bring him in to give him any fair chance to start, nor any chance to take over early if Smith struggled and to "save the season".

He will ride the pine until at LEAST late in the season, if not all year.  Geno Smith will get every possible opportunity and the season will be well beyond lost by the time anyone in the Front office would desire Vick playing.

This is very typical NFL Front Office, so I'm not surprised by this at all.

Archived