We Need to Spend Big $ For a New Head Coach

Jet27

2011, No playoffs, 2012, no playoffs, 2013, no playoffs and 2014 looking into the crystal ball, no playoffs (barring a sudden turn around).

What does all of this mean? It means that we need to spend a whole lot of money to bring a professional coach (who has won a SB) in here to fix this. If you look at what's happening on the defensive side of the ball, teams have figured out the scheme, its not complicated at all.

For the offensive side, we are stuck with the growing pains of Geno....Vick is not the answer. Unless we trade for another used-to-be QB....

Where is the running game?

This is a team out of control and with zero discipline. No direction no leadership and has blowup in Rex's face. Its a shame.

Note to Woody, you need to salvage the season now.....do what needs to get done. We need a Head coach. A leader and someone who is going to hold the players accountable for the nonsense on the field.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex makes roughly 3 million dollars a year.  

Of the coaches in the league where the teams have disclosed their salary

that's the second lowest

http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nfl-head-coach-contracts-salaries/

There are about 20 college coaches who make more than that. 

The Jets are not spending money on coaches or players. Or anything really. 

2011, No playoffs, 2012, no playoffs, 2013, no playoffs and 2014 looking into the crystal ball, no playoffs (barring a sudden turn around).

What does all of this mean? It means that we need to spend a whole lot of money to bring a professional coach (who has won a SB) in here to fix this. If you look at what's happening on the defensive side of the ball, teams have figured out the scheme, its not complicated at all.

For the offensive side, we are stuck with the growing pains of Geno....Vick is not the answer. Unless we trade for another used-to-be QB....

Where is the running game?

This is a team out of control and with zero discipline. No direction no leadership and has blowup in Rex's face. Its a shame.

Note to Woody, you need to salvage the season now.....do what needs to get done. We need a Head coach. A leader and someone who is going to hold the players accountable for the nonsense on the field.

Spend big.....on who?

If this is a stealth "we must get Gruden or Cowher" thread......just stop.  They're not coming back, as at this point so far removed from their days working, we don't want them back.

There is no "spend big" Coach out there and available as far as I know. 

What we need is a real Head Coach candidate, not a glorified D-Co Rah Rah guy.  A Brain, a class act, a disciplinarian who can run a tight well-organized, responsibility-focused ship.

I have no idea who that is myself, but it's not a "big spending" name H.C.

Spend big.....on who?

If this is a stealth "we must get Gruden or Cowher" thread......just stop.  They're not coming back, as at this point so far removed from their days working, we don't want them back.

There is no "spend big" Coach out there and available as far as I know. 

What we need is a real Head Coach candidate, not a glorified D-Co Rah Rah guy.  A Brain, a class act, a disciplinarian who can run a tight well-organized, responsibility-focused ship.

I have no idea who that is myself, but it's not a "big spending" name H.C.

Agreed.  I do not want a name or a personality.  I want a Head Football Coach.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed.  I do not want a name or a personality.  I want a Head Football Coach.

Are you guys seeing the mess for the last 3 and a half years.....its going to take some one with balls and the football knowledge to fix this mess. Someone who has already won, someone with a SB win in his resume....I am done with promoting OC's and DC's...no more of that crap see how well that was worked for us.

No coach in his right mind comes here without total control of personnel decisions unless money is the sole determining factor.

unless it is a first timer or washout candidate who is looking at job as stepping stone/rehabilitation

i agree no established HC with a record of winning is coming to this ridiculous mess to take orders on game day starters from john effing idzik

Are you guys seeing the mess for the last 3 and a half years.....its going to take some one with balls and the football knowledge to fix this mess. Someone who has already won, someone with a SB win in his resume....I am done with promoting OC's and DC's...no more of that crap see how well that was worked for us.

ONLY ONE MAN IN HISTORY HAS EVER WON CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH TWO TEAMS AND ONE WAS THE JETS. LIGHTNING DOES NOT STRIKE TWICE. 

NO RETREADS. 

ONLY ONE MAN IN HISTORY HAS EVER WON CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH TWO TEAMS AND ONE WAS THE JETS. LIGHTNING DOES NOT STRIKE TWICE. 

NO RETREADS. 

I don't want a head coach that's every ones buddy.....I don't want a head coach that for the last 3 years has no clue how to run a team....like it or not Woody is going to have to spend on a GM, HC, DC and an OC....we need a QB, a young RB, and corners.....that is the mess we are in.

somewhat off topic -

I don't understand why Jeff Fisher gets so much coaching love. Everyone seems to just assume he is this great coach when his record is nowhere near his reputation.

He's coached in two backwaters and sounds like a head coach when he speaks.

There are no marque Head Coaches available.  There are no lock prospects in the draft.  There are no strong FA's who will come play for the Jets.

This is the life of a Jets fan.  Hit rock bottom the year where there literally isnt a solution for any of their problems.

You know who I want?  Pep Hamilton. Why?  Because he gets it.  In this watered down, pussified, bull sh*t league, he throws the ball twice as much as he runs it.  Sure he has Andrew Luck but **** it.  Bring him in, let him groom the QB and throw the ******* ball all around the field and drop 40 a game. He's a baby in the grand scheme of things, only been a coordinator for a couple of years but he broke into the NFL on the Jets back in like 05 and bounced back and forth from college and the NFL before landing with the Colts.  His entire career has revolved around offense, specifically QB's and WR's.  

But we all know, Idzik will sign Bevell who calls Football games like its the 1930's.   Yay!!!!

There are no marque Head Coaches available.  There are no lock prospects in the draft.  There are no strong FA's who will come play for the Jets.

This is the life of a Jets fan.  Hit rock bottom the year where there literally isnt a solution for any of their problems.

You know who I want?  Pep Hamilton. Why?  Because he gets it.  In this watered down, pussified, bull sh*t league, he throws the ball twice as much as he runs it.  Sure he has Andrew Luck but **** it.  Bring him in, let him groom the QB and throw the ******* ball all around the field and drop 40 a game. He's a baby in the grand scheme of things, only been a coordinator for a couple of years but he broke into the NFL on the Jets back in like 05 and bounced back and forth from college and the NFL before landing with the Colts.  His entire career has revolved around offense, specifically QB's and WR's.  

But we all know, Idzik will sign Bevell who calls Football games like its the 1930's.   Yay!!!!

What about Cutcliffe from Duke? Knows QB's...Duke is somehow not terrible at football anymore. They score points....I dont know much about him, but it seems like he's well respected.

I don't want a head coach that's every ones buddy.....I don't want a head coach that for the last 3 years has no clue how to run a team....like it or not Woody is going to have to spend on a GM, HC, DC and an OC....we need a QB, a young RB, and corners.....that is the mess we are in.

That has nothing to do with what I posted. 

No Super Bowl winning coach has ever won a Super Bowl with a subsequent team. I'll pass. And like Warfish said, I have no interest in Cowher or Gruden, either.

I think I'd be most excited by a successful college HC taking the job here. Someone who's run a whole program, so he has those skills in place, but is also still taking a promotion to the pros - and still has something to prove as a result. I want a quality, hungry coach here next.

The whole disciplinarian thing is a bunch of crap, too. Think Pete Carroll is a tough guy? I get not liking the way Rex does business, but that doesn't mean you have to run out and get his polar opposite (see: Idzik for Tanny). We just need to replace him with a better coach, someone already experienced and successful in the head coach role.

No Super Bowl winning coach has ever won a Super Bowl with a subsequent team. I'll pass. And like Warfish said, I have no interest in Cowher or Gruden, either.

I think I'd be most excited by a successful college HC taking the job here. Someone who's run a whole program, so he has those skills in place, but is also still taking a promotion to the pros - and still has something to prove as a result. I want a quality, hungry coach here next.

The whole disciplinarian thing is a bunch of crap, too. Think Pete Carroll is a tough guy? I get not liking the way Rex does business, but that doesn't mean you have to run out and get his polar opposite (see: Idzik for Tanny). We just need to replace him with a better coach, someone already experienced and successful in the head coach role.

I think the whole experienced as a head coach thing is overrated as well. Was Mike McCarthy experienced as a head coach, was Sean Payton? Parcells had 1 year of head coaching experience at the Air Force Academy (they went 3-8 and he got fired) when the Giants hired him. Chuck Noll had never been a head coach before the Steelers, neither had Mike Tomlin. John Harbaugh had no head coaching experience. All these guys won Super Bowls and they are not the only guys who won Super Bowls on their first head coaching job - Brian Billick, Joe Gibbs, Mike Ditka, Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi + also all won Super Bowls on their first head coaching job. In fact, most Super Bowls have been won by guys on their first head coaching job.

You need to find to right guy, regardless of his background. 

I think the whole experienced as a head coach thing is overrated as well. Was Mike McCarthy experienced as a head coach, was Sean Payton? Parcells had 1 year of head coaching experience at the Air Force Academy (they went 3-8 and he got fired) when the Giants hired him. Chuck Noll had never been a head coach before the Steelers, neither had Mike Tomlin. John Harbaugh had no head coaching experience. All these guys won Super Bowls and they are not the only guys who won Super Bowls on their first head coaching job - Brian Billick, Joe Gibbs, Mike Ditka, Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi + also all won Super Bowls on their first head coaching job. In fact, most Super Bowls have been won by guys on their first head coaching job.

Problem is- it's unlikely the Jets have the right people in place to find the right guy.

The Jets as an organization are probably too dysfunctional to develop a head coaching prospect, any more than this current regime can develop a QB.

We've had Groh, Edwards, Mangini, and Rex since the last experienced head coach in the position. Most years, I'm with you. I want the up and comer. And even the post you quoted, I'd be looking for a head coach from the college ranks looking to make his mark in the pros. But I really feel at this time that the organization needs experience at the head coach position. I'd really rather not go with another promoted coordinator. Especially if we keep the current GM. Need some real experience in the front office. Someone who shows up qualified to do the job, rather than learning on the job.

that's the second lowest

2013 Jets Cap:  Almost maxed out. 

2012 Jets Cap : Cap Hell. Almost maxed out with I think $2mil in space, but 16th in the league

2011 Jets Cap:  Went over the cap. Made significant cuts to be under (Jenkins, Woody, Jason Taylor, Ghost, Cotchery, . 18th highest payroll in the NFL

2010 Jets Cap:  6th highest payroll in the NFL

2009 Jets Cap:  6th highest payroll in the NFL

2008 Jets Cap:  12th highest payroll in the NFL

Not sure why some fans are clueless. Picking up the salary figure of a first time head coach and comparing it against the rest of the rest of the league means absolutely nothing. 

that's the second lowest

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

The team desperately needs a bit of short term success.

If Woody gave a sh*t about winning, he would go all out to get Harbaugh. I'd totally be down for trading multiple picks to bring him over, a bit like how the Bucs got Gruden. It hurt them in long term, but they still managed to win a Superbowl.

I'm not saying Harbaugh would deliver a Superbowl, but he would win games and give the fans a reason to care. As bad as it looks right now, the Jets roster isn't worse than what Harbaugh inherited from Singletary in San Fran.

I'd rather go the short term success route than have some wishy washy coach that keeps us stuck in 8-8 mediocrity for another 5 years.

I wonder.  Sometimes the OC has to be the right fit for the QB  I used to hate Hackett, but as I grew older and wiser I came to believe that Hackett's horsesh*t was tailored to Chad's limited talents.  A guy like Sparano?  Ideal for a Brook Bollinger, ha ha.  If this guy could come in and make something better of an average vet QB, then fine. I believe now that Geno has Football PTSD. I honestly believe that the Jets would be 4-5 or 5-4 with an average, mistake free guy at the helm, which kind of brings into question all the screaming about talent.  

P.S.  I am also totally sick of the West Coast offense

God sometimes you people are overly emotional idiots who just spew all the crap you hear on espn and the radio.  You want a winning coach who won a super bowl who can fix all this but offer no names and candidates.  Why because there are none.  Parcells is not coming back, Bellichec is not moving.    I admit I walked away from the ledge a few weeks ago as this is the roughest season since Joe must Go.  So what happened?  We lost all our cornerbacks.  Cornerback it seems is the 2nd most important position in the league now after QB.  Don't think so, just look at the collapse of the charges in recent weeks after they had their secondary decimated.  So we suck at the 2 most important positions, had the hardest schedule in the league through 8 games and the refs hate us.  With all that the weird thing is we could have still won 6 of those games.  Weather it was bad calls, bad breaks, or our offensive coordinator being too cute rather than bashing the ball in in the red zone, we were in the drivers seat in 6 of those games. 

So how did we get here. 

1) we needed to no if Geno was the man. No No and No.  Great arm great physical skills, no twitch and recognition or instinct.  Also do not see the leadership skills to get the rest of the team up.  I see that in a Manzel or Whinsten, they talk, cajole, tell when necessary to get the team to follow or perform.  We now know we need a real QB in the draft or via trade. 

2) CB CB CB.  We arguably lost our top 3 CB's by the 3rd game.  Mcdougle never made it out of camp, Millner of course, and dimitri Patterson.  When Wilson is next up you are in trouble and I am surprised every game was not like the chargers game.  Would I have loved Revis, hell yes but Woody would never let it happen after what Revis put them through.  Where we going to beat out Denver for free agents.  Did you really want rodgers cromartie. I would have loved our cromartie back but he was a ankle sprain away from being done.  I would have taken the Michigan state CB in the draft instead of Pryor but we needed both and Pryor will be fine once we have some CB's back.

So we really suck this year.  Please tell me who you take as coach and GM  who will actually come.  Crying is your right but try to make realistic suggestions.  I can cry all I want saying I want Luck, Dez Bryant, Gronk and to draft Gurly then I wake up and am still in jet Hell.  Just because you want something is not going to make it happen.

"The greatest HC of his era" has a losing record without a future HoF QB. And he didn't develop Brady. Brady would have been Brady, with or without Belichicken. So yeah, successful HC with a SB under their belt rarely means anything.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1560349-bill-belichick-or-tom-brady-who-deserves-more-credit-for-the-patriots-success

Belichick has amassed 187 regular season wins as a head coach. His teams have a record of 136-39 with Tom Brady as the starting quarterback. Without Brady, he's 51-65.

"The greatest HC of his era" has a losing record without a future HoF QB. And he didn't develop Brady. Brady would have been Brady, with or without Belichicken. So yeah, successful HC with a SB under their belt rarely means anything.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1560349-bill-belichick-or-tom-brady-who-deserves-more-credit-for-the-patriots-success

I disagree. Brady wouldn't be Brady without the high tech cheating the first six years of his career. 

I disagree. Brady wouldn't be Brady without the high tech cheating the first six years of his career. 

As much as I'd like to agree with u there, Brady has been one of the best QBs in the NFL, if not the best since Spygate (as well). Yeah, no SB wins, but neither does Manning since 2006-07 season. That doesn't mean Manning isn't elite. 

Archived