Makes a ton of sense to trade Wilkerson/Snacks this offseason.

Shockwave

This is assuming Mariotta is not there for us of course. 

We have a bunch of good lineman. But these guys are ALL going to need contracts soon. So how much does a good lineman get? 

Mario Williams got 6 years, 96m

Chris Long got 5 years, 60m

Calais Campbell got 5 years, 51m

Robert Quinn is avg 14m a year. 

Charles Johnson got 6 years, 76m

JJ Watt got 6 years, 100m

Most of the better Franchises lock up their good young players while the club has the power. Meaning most clubs would have locked up Wilkerson a long time ago. Unfortunetly Wilkerson is going to be making 7-8m this upcoming season and then will get his big payday in Free Agency. The only way we are keeping this guy beyond next year is if we overpay him. So What does "Overpay him" mean?

It means Mo is going to cost us OVER 10m a year. Likely 12-13m a year to prevent him from going to FA. I would think 10m is the lowest price possible. Albeit lower but Snacks is going to get atlas 7-8m from someone. 

Im sure you all have seen the mocks and projected players in the top ten this year. Now Im not saying we have to go Dline- But theres alot of really good ones that are going to be on the board. Leonard Williams is going to be really good. If the Raiders pass up on Mariotta - he's going to be the reason. How much would he cost us yearly?  4 to 5 million.  That right there could save us 7-8m yearly. 

Young Dlineman like Mo will definitely get us a day 2 pick.  Snacks may as well.  Again Im not saying we would have to take a first round Dlineman. But lets just say Mariotta isn't there and we do take Williams. In my opinion WR bust rate is one of the highest in the NFL - Theres alot of very decent to good WR that will reach Free Agency this year. Including:

Crabtree

Demarious Thomas

Dez

Cecil Shorts

Percy Harvin (once cut)

Cecil Shorts

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb 

Andre Holmes 

I know right now your going to solely think of offense. But we are bad. This isn't the time to start giving guys like Mo 12m a year during rebuilding. This is the time to get more picks and get a GM that won't blow them. This scenario is going to be talked about alot in the offseason. Guaranteed. 

Lastly if we get the second pick and we are behind the raiders - If we want Mariotta all we have to do is convince the world we are in love with Williams. Because if do that the Raiders will not even consider moving down and they will take Williams at number 1. Which leaves Mariotta to us.  

Ask yourself - Would you pay Mo and Snacks top 5 Dline Money? Would you consider trading them? and If Mariotta is not there are you prepared to pass on a guy like Williams? 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best thing about this plan is the hilarity that will ensue around here if the new regime goes DL in the first round. :)

I understand your logic here, but it's always highly risky to unload a proven NFL commodity and replace him with a prospect - no matter how highly rated. Think trading Revis and drafting Milliner. Maybe trade Coples? You're not getting as much back, but it'll probably be more than they might get as a comp pick down the road.

don't be surprised if the Jets do not extend Wilkerson.... That's not to say I don't want him extended but so much money tied up in one position is not going to be viable. Usually areas with a lot of depth are the best areas to unload stars that will make tons of money

I like Big Mo, but lets face it, we over-glorify him a bit.  He's not a game changing force like Watt or Mario Williams or Cameron Wake.  He's just the best we've got.  And Richardson isn't that far behind him.  He's tied for 52nd in sacks with 12 other players this season.  He has one forced fumble.  I was hoping for more from him.

This is the dumbest thing anyone has ever posted here.

The topic should receive a ton of hate. Understandably 

But its absolutely realistic. All of it. Im just giving you the news 5-6 months before Cimini or some other beat Writer tweets it. 

New Front offices trade players away to get picks so they can rebuild. Mangini traded away Vilma then drafted LB's. Idzik traded away Revis then drafted Milliner and Pryor. 

If we end up drafting in the top 3 picks - Leonard Williams is either our leverage for getting Mariotta, or hell be the Best player available. 

The topic should receive a ton of hate. Understandably 

But its absolutely realistic. All of it. Im just giving you the news 5-6 months before Cimini or some other beat Writer tweets it. 

New Front offices trade players away to get picks so they can rebuild. Mangini traded away Vilma then drafted LB's. Idzik traded away Revis then drafted Milliner and Pryor. 

If we end up drafting in the top 3 picks - Leonard Williams is either our leverage for getting Mariotta, or hell be the Best player available.

Vilma was traded because he couldn't play in a 3-4. Revis was traded because he's a jabroni who was going to hold out for a third time. Neither player you mention presents either of these problems, and you're also suggesting that we accept less than what we got for both those guys.

So yes, this is awful.

Vilma was traded because he couldn't play in a 3-4. Revis was traded because he's a jabroni who was going to hold out for a third time. Neither player you mention presents either of these problems, and you're also suggesting that we accept less than what we got for both those guys.

So yes, this is awful.

Re: Vilma -  If our new coach runs a 4-3 - Snacks is gone. They'll tender him for a 2nd. 

Re: Revis - The rules in the CBA were previously changed. He was never holding out  - Nor has any player since it happened. Revis would have played the whole year then became a free agent and walked. 

Being that Wilkerson nor snacks is a guy you Franchise that is EXACTLY what will happen here.  Both will play out the year then both will walk. Unless you think Wilkerson is worth 11-12m a year. Letting guys like that walk are what gets a GM fired. Hence why they will be available for trade this offseason. 

Re: Vilma -  If our new coach runs a 4-3 - Snacks is gone. They'll tender him for a 2nd. 

Re: Revis - The rules in the CBA were previously changed. He was never holding out  - Nor has any player since it happened. Revis would have played the whole year then became a free agent and walked. 

Being that Wilkerson nor snacks is a guy you Franchise that is EXACTLY what will happen here.  Both will play out the year then both will walk. Unless you think Wilkerson is worth 11-12m a year. Letting guys like that walk are what gets a GM fired. Hence why they will be available for trade this offseason. 

jules-slurp.gif

Jared Allen was traded after 4 years with the Chiefs and he had 43 sacks in his 4 years there.. Abe was our best sack artist and he was traded.. Mo is a good player but he's not in Watt's class nor is Elite IMO. He has 23 sacks so far in his career that's not really earth shaking is it?? That's a good year for Watt..LOL

And he doubles down.

Who's presented a good argument against this? No one.  Most people read the post and saw Leonard Williams name and freaked- Which I predicted. Never did I say we have to take him. Like I said on top if we are sitting at 2 and we play hard ball with the raiders I think they will take Williams and let Mariotta slide to us. Regardless if you look at the top 5 players in the draft right now 3 are Defensive lineman. This topic will come up if we are drafting there. Dline is always overvalued in the draft and we could possibly trade down if someone wants Williams/Gregory etc. 

Back to Wilkerson because really this thread is about him/snacks:

He is getting paid 7m next year so theres no need to rush to sign a contract. The Franchise tag is nearly 13m for lineman which he's not getting in 2016. He saw Quinn and Long get paid. He saw Watt get paid. Someone is going to overpay Pierre Paul this offseason. Justin Houston and Suh are going to be close to Watt money. 

There is absolutely NO WAY Wilkerson is signing an extension before FA unless hes grossly overpaid. The Same with snacks altho he will cost less then Mo. 

Trade them, Overpay them - Or Let them walk. Your choice. 

This is assuming Mariotta is not there for us of course. 

We have a bunch of good lineman. But these guys are ALL going to need contracts soon. So how much does a good lineman get? 

Mario Williams got 6 years, 96m

Chris Long got 5 years, 60m

Calais Campbell got 5 years, 51m

Robert Quinn is avg 14m a year. 

Charles Johnson got 6 years, 76m

JJ Watt got 6 years, 100m

Most of the better Franchises lock up their good young players while the club has the power. Meaning most clubs would have locked up Wilkerson a long time ago. Unfortunetly Wilkerson is going to be making 7-8m this upcoming season and then will get his big payday in Free Agency. The only way we are keeping this guy beyond next year is if we overpay him. So What does "Overpay him" mean?

It means Mo is going to cost us OVER 10m a year. Likely 12-13m a year to prevent him from going to FA. I would think 10m is the lowest price possible. Albeit lower but Snacks is going to get atlas 7-8m from someone. 

Im sure you all have seen the mocks and projected players in the top ten this year. Now Im not saying we have to go Dline- But theres alot of really good ones that are going to be on the board. Leonard Williams is going to be really good. If the Raiders pass up on Mariotta - he's going to be the reason. How much would he cost us yearly?  4 to 5 million.  That right there could save us 7-8m yearly. 

Young Dlineman like Mo will definitely get us a day 2 pick.  Snacks may as well.  Again Im not saying we would have to take a first round Dlineman. But lets just say Mariotta isn't there and we do take Williams. In my opinion WR bust rate is one of the highest in the NFL - Theres alot of very decent to good WR that will reach Free Agency this year. Including:

Crabtree

Demarious Thomas

Dez

Cecil Shorts

Percy Harvin (once cut)

Cecil Shorts

Torrey Smith

Randall Cobb 

Andre Holmes 

I know right now your going to solely think of offense. But we are bad. This isn't the time to start giving guys like Mo 12m a year during rebuilding. This is the time to get more picks and get a GM that won't blow them. This scenario is going to be talked about alot in the offseason. Guaranteed. 

Lastly if we get the second pick and we are behind the raiders - If we want Mariotta all we have to do is convince the world we are in love with Williams. Because if do that the Raiders will not even consider moving down and they will take Williams at number 1. Which leaves Mariotta to us.  

Ask yourself - Would you pay Mo and Snacks top 5 Dline Money? Would you consider trading them? and If Mariotta is not there are you prepared to pass on a guy like Williams? 

This post will be widely ridiculed around here, but it's really not a bad idea at all, especially if the new regime decides to move to a 4-3 (as I'd like to see), since Mo and Snacks really only fit into a 3-4.

For the money Mo will command, I'd rather pay a little more to get Suh and pair him inside with Richardson. Coples can play one of the DE spots in a 4-3.

Re: Leonard Williams - I think he'll be a damn good NFL player (better than Mo, frankly) and unlike Mo he can play DE in a 4-3. But it would take some pair of balls to draft ANOTHER D-lineman in the 1st, especially in a year when we'll have a top 5 pick. Considering how putrid our offense has been, Jets fans might just burn RCMH to the ground.

Jared Allen was traded after 4 years with the Chiefs and he had 43 sacks in his 4 years there.. Abe was our best sack artist and he was traded.. Mo is a good player but he's not in Watt's class nor is Elite IMO. He has 23 sacks so far in his career that's not really earth shaking is it?? That's a good year for Watt..LOL

Agreed. I think the issue here is top 10 Dlineman are getting paid 14-15million per year now. After Free Agency with Houston's and Suh's contracts we will have 7-8 Dlineman making around that amount. That also means the franchise tag will shoot up. 

Wilkerson had 10.5 sacks last year. His agent has to know all Mo has to do is put up 10 sacks next year and hes getting atleast 70-80m over 6 years with a chance to go much higher because the salary cap is going to 150m. Oh - And if hes in the 4-3 hes going to get to rush the passer more. No way hes signing an extension. 

trades usually result in equal value, right ?  so how do you get equal value but less cap money ?

with unproven, crap shoot draft picks of course

no effing way

lets pay and hold onto our best players.  it sends a message to the locker room that if you produce, you get paid

Who's presented a good argument against this? No one.  Most people read the post and saw Leonard Williams name and freaked- Which I predicted. Never did I say we have to take him. Like I said on top if we are sitting at 2 and we play hard ball with the raiders I think they will take Williams and let Mariotta slide to us. Regardless if you look at the top 5 players in the draft right now 3 are Defensive lineman. This topic will come up if we are drafting there. Dline is always overvalued in the draft and we could possibly trade down if someone wants Williams/Gregory etc. 

Back to Wilkerson because really this thread is about him/snacks:

He is getting paid 7m next year so theres no need to rush to sign a contract. The Franchise tag is nearly 13m for lineman which he's not getting in 2016. He saw Quinn and Long get paid. He saw Watt get paid. Someone is going to overpay Pierre Paul this offseason. Justin Houston and Suh are going to be close to Watt money. 

There is absolutely NO WAY Wilkerson is signing an extension before FA unless hes grossly overpaid. The Same with snacks altho he will cost less then Mo. 

Trade them, Overpay them - Or Let them walk. Your choice. 

Sign Suh and trade Mo.

Sign Suh and trade Mo.

Interior Pressure absolutely kills Brady as you may have seen earlier this year. Same with Manning and most QB's. 

If Mo is going to cost 11-12m a year then Suh at 14-15m a year seems appealing. Him and Richardson together would be possibly the best DT tandem since the Jaguars had Big John Henderson and Stroud. 

Interior Pressure absolutely kills Brady as you may have seen earlier this year. Same with Manning and most QB's. 

If Mo is going to cost 11-12m a year then Suh at 14-15m a year seems appealing. Him and Richardson together would be possibly the best DT tandem since the Jaguars had Big John Henderson and Stroud. 

the DT is always meaner.....

I agree that Watt is on a different level, but something tells me if the jets actually played with a lead once in a while the sack numbers would look a lot better. How many times this year have our "pass rushers" been able to pin their ears back? also, kind of hard to get sacks when you are worn down from constantly being on the field because the offense cant sustain drives.

Archived