Woody Must Appease Fans With Big Name Coach

flgreen

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not moving in FA last year is what killed us last year. It's the reason we don't have Corners,Pass rushers or even a decent O line. We sit there and negotiate and negotiate but never get it done. So I agree 110%. If JH isn't the coach we need to move swift to the next one.

Moving in FA last year to get whom?

Decker was a good signing he just needs a speedster to take the pressure off if Amaro comes around (Amari Cooper maybe)Fix the Oline bring in an offensive minded coach & put in a new "system". One that puts pressure on a defense & keeps teams from putting 9 guys on the LOS!

I'm glad he kept his money. If we signed Rogers Cromarty he'd probably be sidelined with an injury too.

I'd love Bevell. New school coach from a successful franchise. Let's score some damn points & at least have some fun!

Johnson is under no pressure of any kind.

The Jets will continue to sell out no matter what he does.

And a "big name" is no sure thing (quite the contrary), the "big names" available are either unrealistic (Gruden, Cowher, neither will ever coach in the NFL again) or just as risky (Meyer, the modern Steve Spurrier) or almost assured to fail (any former Super Bowl Coach, i.e. Shannahan, etc).

No, odds are Rex will be fired along with his staff, Idzik will be retained and will hire an Offensive minded guy he likes/knows (Bevell is a good possibility), Geno Smith will be retained and will start (at first) while we draft a QB (highest we can manage, so probably the #2 guy with issues this draft) and he sits for 2-3 games before taking over.

That's the most likely Jets 2015 I can envision.

Agree that the big names are either unattainable or unlikely to be successful here. None of the names you mentioned appeal to me, and they haven't since they first started to get mentioned around here.

Disagree on your odds, though. I think the odds of John Idzik being retained are less than 50% and continue to drop. The GM is getting fried in the press, and the FireJohnIdzik guys are making their voices heard. More importantly, Idzik has done poorly at the most important aspect of his job: acquiring talent. He should be fired. I think Woody will not just succumb to the pressure, but will actually do the right thing here and make the right fire.

Odds on him making the right hire after that? Not good, unfortunately.

I just hope they learned something from the process that brought Idzik in here in the first place, that they attract better candidates, and that they adjust the requirements for the job to emphasize talent acquisition above salary capology.

Idzik's future will not be determined in the press or by silly fan billboards.

Idzik's future will be determined by his argument to Woody about his long term plan.

If Idzik can convince Woody the problem is Rex (and mismanagement/poor development of Geno, despite being a Idzik pick), combined with injuries (a legit excuse at CB), and that his plan, with his guy (not Rex, who as clearly forced on him) will work......he will be retained.

It is my view that Fans think their power is far more than it is.  Fan opinion is utterly meaningless to an NFL owner. 

Until such time as Fans literally stay away (from BUYING tickets, attendance is irrelevant) in droves and effect the bottom line, no NFL Owner gives even the tiniest **** what Fans think about how the team is run.

And in New York, If the Owner is swayed by the NYLOLSports Media.....well, we have bigger problems than Idzik, because the NYLOLSports emdia is the LAST people an NFL Owner should pay attention to. 

I'm no Idzik fan.  But I can easily see Idzik being retained based purely on the argument that A. 1 1/2 year is not long enough to be fair, given Rex got 6 season and B. Rex (and Rex's guys, Rex's system, etc). was forced on Idzik. 

No one says we fans have to like it, but I wouldn't be so sure Idzik is gone. 

No, odds are Rex will be fired along with his staff, Idzik will be retained and will hire an Offensive minded guy he likes/knows (Bevell is a good possibility), Geno Smith will be retained and will start (at first) while we draft a QB (highest we can manage, so probably the #2 guy with issues this draft) and he sits for 2-3 games before taking over.

That's the most likely Jets 2015 I can envision.

Bevell is going to be a candidate for every head coaching vacancy out there. Give me one reason why he would want to come to a team where the GM will likely be fired if the 2015 season is anything like the 2014 season?

There is no stability at head coach with Idzik hanging over this team which is why no legitimate candidate will accept this job. 

If you don't think Woody is influenced by a FREAKING PLANE FLYING OVER PRACTICE and billboards/towels calling for his general manager to be fired, then you simply don't know Woody Johnson.

Bevell is going to be a candidate for every head coaching vacancy out there. Give me one reason why he would want to come to a team where the GM will likely be fired if the 2015 season is anything like the 2014 season?

There is no stability at head coach with Idzik hanging over this team which is why no legitimate candidate will accept this job. 

Rex got 6 years, despite 3 non-winning seasons in a row.  Rex getting a 4th year to fail shows Woody has patience.

If Idzik is retained, Idzik will get at least 2 more years, guaranteed, barring an utter collapse 2-win season in 2015.

I always lol at talk about how horrible the Jets Job is, like most things Fans think, it's utterly inaccurate.  The Jets are no worse a place to be than any other bad team.

You think anyone is lining up to go to Washington?  OF COURSE THEY ARE!!!!

It's all about the opportunity and the money, only then is it abut talent and long term.

Bevell will get some looks, but we can pay more (if we want) and we have a guy Bevell has a relationship with, and (frankly) we have talent here at more than enough spots (other than QB) to lure anyone we like.

Rex got 6 years, despite 3 non-winning seasons in a row.  Rex getting a 4th year to fail shows Woody has patience.

The difference is in the past 6 years there have been no billboards/planes/towels calling for Rex's ouster. Rex was all but guaranteed to be fired last year but pulled a rabbit out of his hat to go 8-8 with a rookie QB and talent-void roster, so firing him would have been more surprising than keeping him.

Fans wanted Rex back last year. If anything, Woody did listen to the fans by keeping Rex another year.

All I know is that if Rex and Idzik gets fired if they hire a coach 1st I'll be outta here.  As for some of the high profile choices, Gruden, maybe.  I want no part at all of Cowher that would be a disasterous hire. 

Get the best GM you can get, no strings attached and let him hire whoever he wants to as a head coach.

Aside for the QB & CB, our roster is good enough to win.....what is lacking is leadership, you either get that on the field or you get that on the sidelines, that's the way it works. what you see is a complete lack of leadership for either side. usually the on field leadership is the QB position. It goes without saying that on the sidelines or behind closed doors it is a country club mentality. That is crystal clear.

I have said it many times before the only way we are going to turn this around is:

1. Hire a "proven football guy" to run your operation.....he could also be the HC. In other words give complete reins to the guy.

2. Sign a QB or trade for one.

3. Draft a high draft pick QB, to do this we must suck and this is the year. (i.e. suck for luck remember guys? and how are the Colts doing). Then let the guy learn on the sidelines for a while behind the guy you signed in step 2 above.

4. Get some CB's in here immediately....and to be brutally honest, By not having Revis or Cro at the CB positions, that alone should have or will get IZ-DICK canned and having $20mill or so in cap space.

But, in the end, we need to start with a philosophy that includes some form of success that the guy will be bringing in with him. I say we should go hard after Cowher or Gruden....anyone that says this is NOT the way to go is kidding themselves....

Idzik's future will be determined by his argument to Woody about his long term plan.

If Idzik can convince Woody the problem is Rex (and mismanagement/poor development of Geno, despite being a Idzik pick), combined with injuries (a legit excuse at CB), and that his plan, with his guy (not Rex, who as clearly forced on him) will work......he will be retained.

It is my view that Fans think their power is far more than it is. Fan opinion is utterly meaningless to an NFL owner.

Until such time as Fans literally stay away (from BUYING tickets, attendance is irrelevant) in droves and effect the bottom line, no NFL Owner gives even the tiniest **** what Fans think about how the team is run.

And in New York, If the Owner is swayed by the NYLOLSports Media.....well, we have bigger problems than Idzik, because the NYLOLSports emdia is the LAST people an NFL Owner should pay attention to.

I'm no Idzik fan. But I can easily see Idzik being retained based purely on the argument that A. 1 1/2 year is not long enough to be fair, given Rex got 6 season and B. Rex (and Rex's guys, Rex's system, etc). was forced on Idzik.

No one says we fans have to like it, but I wouldn't be so sure Idzik is gone.

Fans who have grown to hate Rex Ryan believe the bold may be an argument that holds some water. Or that it may be enough to sway the owner who insisted on keeping Rex in the first place that Rex is, in fact, the problem. Unfortunately, whether you love him or hate him, Rex has been one of the most successful coaches this franchise has ever had. He's easily, far and away, the best coach hired since Woody took over. And while the previous GMs under Woody have also been remarkably questionable in their abilities, Idzik stripped the roster in his first year (necessarily), but failed miserably with a ton of of draft picks and cap space to improve the roster in his second year. Unless Rex can magically squeeze three straight wins out of this roster to finish the year, this team will either tie for (unlikely), or own outright (far more likely) the worst record the team has had during Woody's tenure.

Before Idzik, Rex had one losing season in four years. With Idzik, he's presiding over the the worst season Woody's ever seen as the owner. Woody saw Rex lead the team to back-to-back championship game appearances (the only time that's ever happened in franchise history), including an 11 win regular season (only three other Jet teams have won 11 or more games in franchise history), and now it's Idzik's job to convince the owner that it's not his fault, it's Rex's.

I think that's gonna be a tough sell.

The fans are having their say, too, and you're definitely underestimating it. When half the stadium is waving Fire Idzik towels and the other half is empty, the owner notices. Happy fan bases spend money on the team. Owners want happy fan bases, it's better for the bottom line.

The difference is in the past 6 years there have been no billboards/planes/towels calling for Rex's ouster.

The fact that most fans are too dumb to understand Rex's role and responsibility in our ongoing streak of failure is not a legitimate defense.

Rex was all but guaranteed to be fired last year but pulled a rabbit out of his hat to go 8-8 with a rookie QB and talent-void roster, so firing him would have been more surprising than keeping him.

Lol, no.

Fans wanted Rex back last year. If anything, Woody did listen to the fans by keeping Rex another year.

Nope, your opinion was utterly irrelevant to Woody. Woody kept Rex because Woodly likes Rex, not because the Fans want him.

It amazes me how full of themselves Fans are, keep deluding yourself that what you, or I, think matters to anyone, in any form, in the Jets organization.

if Idzik is fired, it won't be because of the Fans.

Slatstonti

VvvvvvvV

Fans who have grown to hate Rex Ryan believe the bold may be an argument that holds some water. Or that it may be enough to sway the owner who insisted on keeping Rex in the first place that Rex is, in fact, the problem. Unfortunately, whether you love him or hate him, Rex has been one of the most successful coaches this franchise has ever had. He's easily, far and away, the best coach hired since Woody took over. And while the previous GMs under Woody have also been remarkably questionable in their abilities, Idzik stripped the roster in his first year (necessarily), but failed miserably with a ton of of draft picks and cap space to improve the roster in his second year. Unless Rex can magically squeeze three straight wins out of this roster to finish the year, this team will either tie for (unlikely), or own outright (far more likely) the worst record the team has had during Woody's tenure.

Before Idzik, Rex had one losing season in four years. With Idzik, he's presiding over the the worst season Woody's ever seen as the owner. Woody saw Rex lead the team to back-to-back championship game appearances (the only time that's ever happened in franchise history), including an 11 win regular season (only three other Jet teams have won 11 or more games in franchise history), and now it's Idzik's job to convince the owner that it's not his fault, it's Rex's.

The fans are having their say, too, and you're definitely underestimating it. When half the stadium is waving Fire Idzik towels and the other half is empty, the owner notices. Happy fan bases spend money on the team. Owners want happy fan bases, it's better for the bottom line.

Slatstonti

VvvvvvvV

Like it or don't, but Rex has been one of the most successful head coaches in franchise history. Only one coach has gone deeper in the post season, and only one coach has won more games in a regular season. No coach has won more post season games. Sure, that says a lot more about the history of the franchise than it does about Rex's greatness, but that's still the fact of the matter.

Idzik, to date, has been one of the worst executives in franchise history - and that's really saying something.

You think Idzik can convince Woody that it's all Rex's fault, and his plan is on the right track? Wow, I just hope Woody isn't that stupid.

Rex is definitely getting fired, and he should. He certainly has a major role in the QB problem during his tenure, the biggest problem on the team. But the idea that New Coach X is gonna come in here and instantly do better than Rex Ryan is wishful thinking. The Jets can definitely do a lot worse than Ryan. In fact, they usually do.

Come now, Rex was a very full part of the decline of this team before Idzik arrived ansd to toss out the rex had all these great years before and now only stinks since Idzik came on is out to lunch.

Also, record aside you have to actually evaluate the coach and what he brings to the table as a head football coach.  Rex Ryan inherited a team with a top 5 running game, defense and oline and had success the 1st couple of years but even in the afc title games we lost not because of the sad sack Offense but because the defense, his bellcow got beat down.

Rex has not improved one iota from his days as a rookie head coach, as a head coach he has actually gotten worse.  Both Idzik and Ryan are resopnsible for the bad perfomances of the last couple of years.  (I've said many times last years 8-8 record was a total aberation, the team was about 5 win quality team.)

In todays NFL because the game has evolved you need a Head coach that at least understands offense and makes it a bit of a priority.  Ground and pound simply does not work anymore as evidenced by our loss after running for nearly 300 yards a couple weeks back.

Come now, Rex was a very full part of the decline of this team before Idzik arrived ansd to toss out the rex had all these great years before and now only stinks since Idzik came on is out to lunch.

Also, record aside you have to actually evaluate the coach and what he brings to the table as a head football coach.  Rex Ryan inherited a team with a top 5 running game, defense and oline and had success the 1st couple of years but even in the afc title games we lost not because of the sad sack Offense but because the defense, his bellcow got beat down.

Rex has not improved one iota from his days as a rookie head coach, as a head coach he has actually gotten worse.  Both Idzik and Ryan are resopnsible for the bad perfomances of the last couple of years.  (I've said many times last years 8-8 record was a total aberation, the team was about 5 win quality team.)

In todays NFL because the game has evolved you need a Head coach that at least understands offense and makes it a bit of a priority.  Ground and pound simply does not work anymore as evidenced by our loss after running for nearly 300 yards a couple weeks back.

Jets are the only team in history to lose 2 games when rushing for over 250 yards!

Chew on that & tell me he's a good coach! When you rush for that many yards your offensive playbook should be wide open at that point. Anyone remember when CJ2 & the titans kicked our azz when we couldn't stop the run?

Locker looked like Joe freaking Montana with playaction.

I hate this coaching staff!

Nowhere in there did I say Rex should be retained. He shouldn't. He's a better coach than Idzik is a GM, though. They both need to go.

Nowhere in there did I say Rex should be retained. He shouldn't. He's a better coach than Idzik is a GM, though. They both need to go.

But you did say Rex Ryan is one of the best Coaches in Franchise History.

Would you then, with that in mind, not prefer it if we fired Idzik, let Ryan help choose a GM suited to Ryan's style, aquire Ryan a better QB and some top-flight elite CB's, and see how Ryan could do in 2015?

If, that is, you really believe he is one of the greatest Jet Coaches ever to wear the green.....suffering under the worst GM in franhcise history, wouldn't it make more sense to fire Idzik and keep Ryan, in your view?

Would you then, with that in mind, not prefer it if we fired Idzik, let Ryan help choose a GM suited to Ryan's style, aquire Ryan a better QB and some top-flight elite CB's, and see how Ryan could do in 2015?

If, that is, you really believe he is one of the greatest Jet Coaches ever to wear the green.....suffering under the worst GM in franhcise history, wouldn't it make more sense to fire Idzik and keep Ryan, in your view?

Worded that way..it appears almost logical.  However, IMO, Rex has run his course. 3 OC's and Shotty is the only one with a winning record.  That is Rex's legacy. Below 500 coach.

Woody needs to fire both or fire neither. The outcome where one stays and the other goes is worst possible outcome.

I like Rex, and support him, but can see when it's time for a change. It's understandable.  After a while the old tricks get stale and a coach becomes less effective.

But he's getting garbage players. John Idzik drafted Geno Smith, and believes in him. Remember that when watching the games. If Rex gets fired, so should Idzik. Rex has worn out his welcome but Idzik has been grossly incompetent. 

Why do Jets fans assume a different head coach could do better than Rex, with this group of players? Bill Walsh couldn't win with these players. 

Meanwhile Rex can't set the lineup at QB, he has no corners, that's on Idzik. Just as keeping Rex would prevent finding a good GM, keeping Idzik prevents the team from finding a good coach. No one wants this guy forcing Geno Smith on him next year.

"must appease fans" by hiring someone competent... soooooo... if Woody were to resist doing the bidding of the fans he would go out an hire another sh*tty coach? 

Premise of this article is derp.

Throw Idzik and Rex into a volcano to appease us. Not enough to reupp on PSLs, but it's something.

Payton might be a good hire if you could finagle Brees with him, or if you get the top pick.

Problem has been since the day Taglibue took his lower bid over Dolan, Lucky Sperm Johnson and his idiot braintrust keep trying to sell buzz instead of winning football. Seems like they haven't learned anything. Again.

We're still talking about Rex like he's a great HC?  Heard the same nonsense on the radio this morning.

As a coach who gets players to fawn over him and become infatuated with his handling of them, there is none better Rex.   Period.  

But as a HC who has shown growth, developed clear understanding of all phases of the his team, prowess in hiring OC's and developing young QBs, ability to adapt game plans on the fly, winning AFCCGs, etc., Rex has fallen flat on his face.  

But you did say Rex Ryan is one of the best Coaches in Franchise History.Would you then, with that in mind, not prefer it if we fired Idzik, let Ryan help choose a GM suited to Ryan's style, aquire Ryan a better QB and some top-flight elite CB's, and see how Ryan could do in 2015?If, that is, you really believe he is one of the greatest Jet Coaches ever to wear the green.....suffering under the worst GM in franhcise history, wouldn't it make more sense to fire Idzik and keep Ryan, in your view?

Nice pivot, lol.

I believe I said one of the, "most successful," not, "best." I think Rex can have success again, elsewhere, and maybe greater success, but he's run out his string here. Even if I, or the Jets, we're so inclined, it's just not feasible to expect another GM to come here and work with him. And for the record, I'm not so inclined. Best course of action, IMHO, is a removal of both the GM and head coach, with a new GM brought in to install a new head coach.

But back to my question: what has Idzik done to deserve to stay in your view? When Woody calls him into his office to interview for his present position, what's his case?

Woody needs to fire both or fire neither. The outcome where one stays and the other goes is worst possible outcome.

I like Rex, and support him, but can see when it's time for a change. It's understandable.  After a while the old tricks get stale and a coach becomes less effective.

But he's getting garbage players. John Idzik drafted Geno Smith, and believes in him. Remember that when watching the games. If Rex gets fired, so should Idzik. Rex has worn out his welcome but Idzik has been grossly incompetent. 

Why do Jets fans assume a different head coach could do better than Rex, with this group of players? Bill Walsh couldn't win with these players. 

Meanwhile Rex can't set the lineup at QB, he has no corners, that's on Idzik. Just as keeping Rex would prevent finding a good GM, keeping Idzik prevents the team from finding a good coach. No one wants this guy forcing Geno Smith on him next year.

Not really, despite Idzik being a terrible talent evaluator unlike 95% of the GMs out there he did not get to pick his coach and to go along with that the assistants (who I think are very very wak on this team.)  Rex, being a HEAD coach should have a big part of his attention going to the QB position, it's more of an afterhtought for him.  As for corners, Idzik drafted one 9th overall and another 3rd rounder this year.  He ttoally blew the patterson signing.

What the lack of corners showed me this year is that Rex is not some great D guru that can get results with some holes on the roster.  The mantra seems to be give rex his hof corners and spend all 1st rounders on defense and he will produce a great defense!

As for corners, Idzik drafted one 9th overall and another 3rd rounder this year.  He ttoally blew the patterson signing.

it's a passing league, take Rex Ryan out of the equation, no head coach can win consistently with no QB and no corners. Look how good the Pats are playing is that because Belly is a genius? or is it because Brady and Revis are on the same team. 

I like Rex, and support him, but can see when it's time for a change. It's understandable. After a while the old tricks get stale and a coach becomes less effective.

But he's getting garbage players. John Idzik drafted Geno Smith, and believes in him. Remember that when watching the games. If Rex gets fired, so should Idzik. Rex has worn out his welcome but Idzik has been grossly incompetent.

You nailed it right on the head. Good post, bit.

Nice pivot, lol.

I believe I said one of the, "most successful," not, "best." I think Rex can have success again, elsewhere, and maybe greater success, but he's run out his string here. Even if I, or the Jets, we're so inclined, it's just not feasible to expect another GM to come here and work with him. And for the record, I'm not so inclined. Best course of action, IMHO, is a removal of both the GM and head coach, with a new GM brought in to install a new head coach.

TLDR Version: You REALLY want to keep Rex, you're just not overly willing to take a bunch of sh*t from fellow posters about it.

But back to my question: what has Idzik done to deserve to stay in your view? When Woody calls him into his office to interview for his present position, what's his case?

Fire Rex. Fire Marty. Fire idzik. Fire Bradway. Cut Geno Smith.

That's my offseason priority list, and none of it requires mincing of words or half-hearted defenses of those to be cut loose.

To quote current events: Burn it down. Burin it all the **** down.

Archived