Brady restructures... saves Pats $24 mil (Revis anyone?)

32EBoozer

In a deal turned into the NFL office Monday, quarterback Tom Brady restructured his contract to give the New England Patriots $24 million more in cash to spend this offseason, according to league sources.

Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in "skill" guarantee to only "injury" guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured.

Brady also now can be released by the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender.

The move frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents, including cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Devin McCourty, tackle Nate Solder and running back Shane Vereen, among others.

Woody has gotten into their head!

They were up against the cap pretty tight without this... Gives some breathing room

Is Brady that much of a team player that he's willing to give up, for seemingly no gain of any kind fiscally, 24 million dollars?

Something is missing here.  I don't see Brady simply sacrificing 24 million at this point in his career simply so Revis can make it himself.

really no risk for Brady he won't be released for skill reasons.  Are they going to cut a top QB, a sure hall of famer and coming off an MVP type season next year?  If they did he would make more money by signing with someone else in about a minute.  He is still guaranteed for injury.

I don't get where the $24M comes from looking at his contract (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady/)...

So if the Patriots were to cut him this year under his current contract they would be out $18M in the signing bonuses that they are paying him.    He is still owed $42M on his current contract, with $18M of it guaranteed.  Is there something I'm missing as to how he is saving them $24M for cap purposes???

And of course as others have pointed out, the Patriots aren't going to cut him.  His contract is already dirt cheap for a QB of his calibur.  If the Patriots were to cut him for "skill reasons", he would sign a bigger contract 2 minutes later, because even average QBs make $14M a year...

I don't get where the $24M comes from looking at his contract (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/tom-brady/)...

So if the Patriots were to cut him this year under his current contract they would be out $18M in the signing bonuses that they are paying him. He is still owed $42M on his current contract, with $18M of it guaranteed. Is there something I'm missing as to how he is saving them $24M for cap purposes???

And of course as others have pointed out, the Patriots aren't going to cut him. His contract is already dirt cheap for a QB of his calibur. If the Patriots were to cut him for "skill reasons", he would sign a bigger contract 2 minutes later, because even average QBs make $14M a year...

Simple really...Kraft gave him an under the table illegal 24 million off the books deal for personal services.

Corruption, criminality and cheating

The PATRIOT WAY

Is Brady that much of a team player that he's willing to give up, for seemingly no gain of any kind fiscally, 24 million dollars?

Something is missing here.  I don't see Brady simply sacrificing 24 million at this point in his career simply so Revis can make it himself.

He doesn't need it. He and Giselle are sitting on a mountain of money. 

He doesn't need it. He and Giselle are sitting on a mountain of money.

I'll bet he hasn't actually given up a dime. The contract was probably restructured to push the cap hit down the road. The 24 million guarantee is phantom. The Pats are not cutting Brady for performance.

it's the kind of stuff Tannenbaum use to pull all the time. It eventually catches up to you. IMO think Lil Bill is looking to win another Bowl or two, then walk away and leave the replacement with a horrific cap mess

More power to them.  They can have Revis as far as I'm concerned.  It'll make it even sweeter when the next regime has us competing with them and beating them for division titles within the next couple of years.

It's not like he made that big of an impact in the two games we had with the Pats this season.  In both games we managed to be right there with them at the end and were missed field goals and coaching stupidity away from beating them with Revis.

I would think there's some handshake agreement here that Brady will get reimbursed after his career is over (or something like that).  I don't fault the Pats' organization for this.  They are well run (as someone else wrote).  I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Revis re-signs there for like a 3 year deal.

Brady's getting a piece of the Patriots' ownership after he retires.

Even a 1% share would be a huge.  I'm sure by the time Brady retires the Pats will be valued at around $1.5 billion and that's a conservative estimate.

His wife is the richest woman in the world and he'll be a lifetime consultant for the team with a never ending paycheck until he dies. 

He didn't.

He gets an extra 3 million on top of what he was going to get paid.

As pointed out by others, if he was cut, he would be a FA and command a lot more money

I always love these threads. Time and Time again. Some Jets fans making comments thinking brady is dumb, something fishy is going on or there is a chance you guys might get Revis..

There's a reason they run a billion dollar successful franchise and you guys are just fans making comments...

There's a method to their successful franchise madness.

Pats play chess you guys think checkers..

There's a reason brady restructure his contact they know why. You guys won't know until they want you to know.

His wifey is a billionaire,.. plus tommy is not that generous of a guy.

This.

Tom has gotten paid.  He never got the 10yr-130+ million dollar contract w/30 million up front.

However, his smaller length contracts have allowed him to make top dollar.

Even if he had to sign a pre-nip with Gisele :), he does not have to work after he retires if he chooses.

Something is missing here. I don't see Brady simply sacrificing 24 million at this point in his career simply so Revis can make it himself.

Do you know how much money Giselle made last year?

Brady is not taking a paycut.

http://deadspin.com/actually-tom-brady-is-getting-another-raise-1676198955?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

It's time for the biennial "Tom Brady restructures his contract" news cycle, and it always goes the same way: the initial release, passed along by a useful media mouthpiece, makes it seem as if Brady is forfeiting money to help the Patriots afford to get him better teammates; then, the details come out, and it emerges that both Brady and the Patriots stand to benefit from the deal. Here we go again.

Brady's supposed selflessness was burnished when Adam Schefter reported that the quarterback had redone his deal with the Patriots to free up $24 million "to use on other players." The way Schefter worded his scoop, however, was confusing. Here's his report, in full:

In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend this winter, per sources.

Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in "skill" guarantee to only "injury" guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured. Brady also now can be released from the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender. This frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents such as Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder and Shane Vereen, amongst others.

In the 2013 offseason, Brady restructured his contract through 2017, something he's done a few times in his career, usually receiving more up-front money in exchange for spreading out his salary cap hit. That new contract stipulated his base salaries for the 2015, 2016, and 2017 seasons would be $7 million, $8 million, and $9 million. As ESPN's Field Yates pointed out last Friday, those salaries were set to become fully guaranteed, for both injury and "skill," on Saturday, Dec. 27, 2014.

18furv59ihlpejpg.jpg
Actually, Tom Brady Is Getting A Raise

When the Patriots leaked news of Tom Brady's "three-year, $27 million" contract…Read more

Because it would have been guaranteed under all circumstances, that $24 million would have gone into a third-party escrow account, and been paid out to Brady over the course of the deal. From the Patriots' point of view, the key is that they would have had to deposit all $24 million right away.

What this restructuring does is absolve the Patriots of having to deposit that money. Instead, they can keep the cash on hand—and cut Brady's paychecks directly over the next three years.

So, what's in it for New England?

With this restructuring, that $24 million is now technically available to use for this offseason's free agents; since the Patriots have it, they can spend it. The move does not affect cap space, however. It does not give the Patriots more room than they had last week to sign players; it just gives them more liquidity.

But Schefter wasn't entirely talking out of his ass. The freed money could help keep players in New England in the form of more up-front cash. Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston explains:

[The Patriots] now have more ready cash. Thus, it potentially puts them in a position where they can get creative with some critical upcoming negotiations, as cornerback Darrelle Revis, safety Devin McCourty, left tackle Nate Solder (fifth-year option), running back Shane Vereen and kicker Stephen Gostkowski are some of the team's notable players scheduled to be free agents after this season. In a situation where the Patriots could be competing against other teams for those players, the possibility of being able to commit more cash to them in the 2015 calendar year could be an advantage.

Additionally, this benefits the Patriots via exactly what it says on the label—if Brady turns terrible over the next few seasons, the Pats can now cut him without having to pay him. No one expects that to happen, but this restructuring is all about flexibility for New England.

There is one major nagging issue, though: why would multi-billionaire Robert Kraft worry about obtaining a relatively measly $24 million in cash on hand? That's an excellent question, and one which no one without access to Kraft's books could possibly answer right now. The Patriots would appear to be thriving financially, but remember: they are far from Kraft's only holding.

What's in this for Tom Brady?

More money! Not a ton—a relatively small $3 million, spread out over three years—but a raise nonetheless. Unreported in Schefter's original story was that the Patriots are upping the base salaries for Brady's next three seasons. Reiss:

As part of the restructure, the Patriots added $1 million to each of the base salaries in Brady's contract, per a source. Brady will now get $8 million in 2015, $9 million in 2016 and $10 million in 2017. That is still a significant bargain for the team based on market rates. But more than that for Brady, what he hopefully gains is better players around him as the team can now spend more cash in 2015 on key players.

(Brady's $30 million signing bonus from 2013 is still being paid out, and is unchanged by this restructuring. And it has to be emphasized that Brady remains a ridiculous bargain compared to what he could command on the open market)

So, Brady turned guaranteed money for the future into more money for the future, with slightly less security. He still gets the wad of cash if he's injured, so he's not left hanging. In exchange for $3 million, the Patriots get more flexibility this winter, and more options in the future should the 37-year old Brady hit a rapid decline. As with most restructurings of Brady's contract, both sides win. And as with most restructurings of Brady's contract, it's almost pointless to think too far ahead on this one: they'll probably just restructure it again next year.

In 2012 their combined net worth was around 350 million and that was before they sold one of their houses to Dr Dre for 50 million..

house1-e1400119091465.jpg

Looks like the "Frozen" action park at Disney!

All it needs is the spinning tea cup ride from "Beauty and the Beast

Why was it built in a DITCH? I'd be checkin' Giselle out from that house above ALL DAY!

Something is missing here. I don't see Brady simply sacrificing 24 million at this point in his career simply so Revis can make it himself.

He's not sacrificing $24 million. He still gets the money, just in what would normally be a much riskier form for any other player. The reason Brady agreed to it is because he's ******* Tom Brady and the Pats aren't going to screw him over. Pretty savvy move by the Pats actually.

Archived