Rex Has two HC inteviews next week

AFJF

As predicted many knowledgeable people here, teams are lined up to try to land rex. I imagine idzik is sitting in his condo with the lights off and a fifth of cheap rotgut beside him that he is drinking straight from the bottle

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex with Atlanta might make some noise in the first couple of years before the offense falls apart while the organization seeks only to build up the defensive side of the ball.

We're also assuming that Rex will hire a decent OC that wouldn't himself ruin the talent the Falcons have on offense. His three OC hires in New York were awful, so it's not like a change of scenery is going to make him all of a sudden capable of hiring a good OC. And, it's not like Atlanta was an offensive juggernaut this year anyway, look no further than the egg they laid this week with the division and their coach's job on the line.

Great post, I agree Rex could have immediate success in ATL, like he did with the Jets. Every year after will be worse and worse.

As someone that's excited to see Rex fail, I hope he gets that Atlanta job.

As someone that would like to continue drafting Julio Jones in fantasy football, I hope he does not.

I'm really hoping that he gets one of these HC jobs, although I guess I'd be happiest if he got the Atlanta job.  Mainly so he wouldn't land on ESPN.  Personally, I like Rex and think he's entertaining in his press conferences, but as a HC he's subpar and I really don't see him being a good TV analyst.  That would involve him being critical of other players and coaches and I just don't see him being able to do that on a consistent enough basis.

Common guys...he lost us two afcc games

But since then, he's progressed to missing the playoffs 4 solid seasons in a row and recently got presented with a flying chest bump from the worst QB in football and a Gatorade bath from the best 4-12 team in NFL hostory

Common guys...he lost us two afcc games

But since then, he's progressed to missing the playoffs 4 solid seasons in a row and recently got presented with a flying chest bump from the worst QB in football and a Gatorade bath from the best 4-12 team in NFL hostory

In the 2006 AFCCG BB had a 21-6 lead at half time and lost 38-34,He got knocked out of the 2010 playoffs at home by the Jets and lost Bowls to the 9-7 and 10-6 Giants. And BB has a HOF QB..

First off, the Jets was his dream f'ing job!

Okay, now carry on.....

Seriously though, Atlanta all the way. Chicago has pieces, Rex Ryans HC problem has been a Quarterback. There's no way in the world he gives up the opportunity to coach a team that already has a franchise QB for Chicago. I love chicago's offensive pieces, but Cutler isn't the QB that is going to do it for him. 

Nope...Chicago.  Buddy got carried off the field after winning a SB with the Bears and it's where Rex spent a large portion of his youth.  Chicago is his dream job.  While everyone started reporting last week that Rex won't take a DC job, like him or not (usually I don't), Francessa said several weeks ago that people close to Rex told Mike just that.  Rex likes being a head guy and has no intention to take a step back. He then said he once asked Rex face to face what his dream HC gig would be and Rex said the Bears.  Again, not a huge Francessa fan, but absolutely no reason to discredit him recapping a face to face discussion w/ Rex and the reasons behind it make sense.

In the 2006 AFCCG BB had a 21-6 lead at half time and lost 38-34,He got knocked out of the 2010 playoffs at home by the Jets and lost Bowls to the 9-7 and 10-6 Giants. And BB has a HOF QB..

Yeah, but Rex had Donald Strickland, Drew Coleman and Mark Sanchez but somehow couldn't get past Petyon and the Colts.  Then with Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson and Phillip Adams this season he only managed to finish 6th in defense...inexcusable.

Mangini and Shurmer are getting interviews too. All it means is that teams need desperate candidates to set a compensation floor before making offers to the non-ridiculous candidates.

I'm sure that's s exactly what it is...at a crucial time for the future of all of these franchises, they're putting together lists of coaches who they would like to bring in and interview with no intention of hiring them...makes perfect sense.

No double standards at all. Rex is what he is whether in NY or ATL (if he lands there). The fact is the Falcons have a capable offense that scores points. If Rex makes the defense more stingy, it should be easy to be better than their 6-10 record this season. No question about him coaching defense. It would be a good fit for him.

It totally is a double-standard that for 6 years people excused Rex from any fault for adding the wrong players, and now the narrative is "when Rex adds a this or that" he'll win forever.

I'm sure that's s exactly what it is...at a crucial time for the future of all of these franchises, they're putting together lists of coaches who they would like to bring in and interview with no intention of hiring them...makes perfect sense.

Your sarcasm exposes your naïveté.

Bad candidate interviews make average hired look better to irate fans. It's the lesser of two evils hoodwink.

Your sarcasm exposes your naïveté.

Right, because I don't agree with your theory of teams interviewing candidates with no intention of hiring them means I don't know what I'm talking about, but makes you the expert...gotcha.

Right, because I don't agree with your theory of teams interviewing candidates with no intention of hiring them means I don't know what I'm talking about, but makes you the expert...gotcha.

It's not about right and wrong you fat baby. It happens all the time in this world. By creating the threat of a horrible option, the mediocre one becomes more acceptable.

Adding Tebow (horrible option) made sticking with Ssnchez more palatable, for example.

We're also assuming that Rex will hire a decent OC that wouldn't himself ruin the talent the Falcons have on offense.  His three OC hires in New York were awful, so it's not like a change of scenery is going to make him all of a sudden capable of hiring a good OC. 

Schottenheimer was a holdover from Mangini's time.  Sparano was only one year.  Mornhinweg you'll have to make up your mind.

Yeah, but Rex had Donald Strickland, Drew Coleman and Mark Sanchez but somehow couldn't get past Petyon and the Colts. Then with Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson and Phillip Adams this season he only managed to finish 6th in defense...inexcusable.

Poor Rex that he didn't have all pros as nickel corners.

Schottenheimer was a holdover from Mangini's time.  Sparano was only one year.  Mornhinweg you'll have to make up your mind.

Schottenheimer was a holdover, but Rex didn't have to keep him.  While not technically a "hire" per se, it should count since it was Rex's decision whether or not he was a part of his incoming coaching staff.

It's not about right and wrong you fat baby. It happens all the time in this world. By creating the threat of a horrible option, the mediocre one becomes more acceptable.

Adding Tebow (horrible option) made sticking with Ssnchez more palatable, for example.

Why does it make you so sad to be wrong?  You said nobody would be interested in Rex, but because you're wrong you resort to personal attacks because I was right? Not sure if you're trying to bait me into acting like a little kid but it's not gonna' happen.  

Schottenheimer was a holdover, but Rex didn't have to keep him.  While not technically a "hire" per se, it should count since it was Rex's decision whether or not he was a part of his incoming coaching staff.

Pretty sure he had to keep Schotty in.  He was a rookie head coach and the owner had a penchant for keeping assistants and having the head man work with them.  After they went to the championship game there was no way he Rex could replace him, and after the offense looked bad Schotty's third year he was gone.

Why does it make you so sad to be wrong? You said nobody would be interested in Rex, but because you're wrong you resort to personal attacks because I was right? Not sure if you're trying to bait me into acting like a little kid but it's not gonna' happen.

I'm talking about PR strategies, not who is right and wrong. Not sure what you are referencing that I'm wrong about, but if this is where you need to take it because the stuff you are naive about is over your head, then sure whatever... You're not a little kid, just gullible like one.

And saying you are naive and quoting Sarah Marshall "fat baby" isn't s personal attack. Thicken your skin, you know better.

I'm talking about PR strategies, not who is right and wrong. Not sure what you are referencing that I'm wrong about, but if this is where you need to take it because the stuff you are naive about is over your head, then sure whatever... You're not a little kid, just gullible like one.

And saying you are naive and quoting Sarah Marshall "fat baby" isn't s personal attack. Thicken your skin, you know better.

I have no idea who Sarah Marshall is and I don't know what she has to do with this.

Please explain how asking somebody to speak like an adult = thin skin.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The way I see it, he excel with the players he was given. 

Horsebleep. The last FOUR years have shown that Rex is only capable of winning with elite players, especially at corner. You do realize that his vaunted defense has regressed every year he has been here, despite having a continuous influx of first round talent, and the offense has been terrible, largely because of his insistence on playing wildcat, ground and pound and 1950s offense despite not fitting the players he has or the modern NFL. If anything, when you consider his completely HORRIBLE in game management especially the inability to adjust on the fly, and the terribly undisciplined team that almost every game causes us time outs in the second half and tons of penalties, that he has UNDER achieved with the talent he is. Our talent is not 4-12 talent. We do not have a super bowl team, but with our DL, strength at C at LT and depth on the OL, as well as upgraded skill players we should have been 3-4 wins better minimum. That is all coaching, bad coaching by Rex. 

And competitive for the most part when not winning with the roster given to him. 

You honestly think the players he was given he had no say in? Reality is that he probably has close to even responsibility with the GM in the players taken due to his input and schemes on offense and defense. In addition to "his" pick in each draft, Rex clearly has had huge influence into the positions and types of players that are drafted: Do you think the dramatic difference between the players drafted by Tanny under Mangini and under Rex were a coincidence?

If we have an offensive coach, no way we take Pryor over a receiver in round one. Heck, most defensive coaches would emphasize coverage and play making ability in their safeties, Rex prefers in the box hitters and our draft and FA acquisitions mirror that.

Our OL draftees have emphasized run blocking skills over pass protection because that is what Rex values more. This is also a big mistake, pass protection is always more important than run blocking for OL.

We drafted defense exclusively in the first round, except for Sanchez and Sanchez was completely Rex's pick. The workout and Rex saying "this is our guy" has been well documented.

Because of Rex, we never drafted playmakers in the early rounds, pretty much ever. The one we did, Stephen Hill was openly criticised by Rex, not because of the player Hill was, but because he would not take a receiver in the 2nd round.

Many of the FA we signed were Rex guys.

The roster we had was very much Rex's. You cannot act like Idzik or Tanny chose the players in a vacuum, Rex had a huge part in the players selected and the dismantling of our roster.

Just so we're all clear in advance: if Rex doesn't get either of these jobs, it's because he turned them down, right?

Yup , something about double dipping, all that espn money , and waiting for a better situation next year.

Yup , something about double dipping, all that espn money , and waiting for a better situation next year.

I dont see a better situation than SF or Atlanta. Both have strong teams and starting QB's.

SF would be the more pressure because they believe they already have a winner.

Apparently 2 teams are granting courtesy interviews, probably to give them interview practice and to set a low base level so they can see what their good candidates look like in comparison.

Like us requesting to see Tom Cable more or less.

Unless a team is looking for a circus clown with a 1980s defense to offer and who has no clue about offense, ST and player development they are not hiring Coach Andallthatstuff. Coach Itsaprocess probably has a better shot

Of course he will get a HC job.........and a raise to boot.

The NYJ are not the only franchise that hires unqualified mopes for the HC position.

Look at all the crappy hires the last few years. He is "right up there" with the worst of them.

I will even take this one step further and say the next Jet HC has a 50-50 shot at being worse than the Bozo the just canned.

Of course he will get a HC job.........and a raise to boot.

The NYJ are not the only franchise that hires unqualified mopes for the HC position.

Look at all the crappy hires the last few years. He is "right up there" with the worst of them.

I will even take this one step further and say the next Jet HC has a 50-50 shot at being worse than the Bozo the just canned.

Good post, so true. NFL is alot like MLB, same losers continue to get jobs.

Herm did super duper in KC before they dumped him

And Suckchez was a magnificent 4-4 taking over a 6-2 team fighting for playoff HFA and knocking them completely out of contention

Good examples

Exactly. Teams thought Herm and Sanchez would be better than they were with the Jets, but they weren't. As T0m said, it's as if other teams give extra credit for surviving the Jets.

Archived