Chan Gailey to be OC (per SNY) (MERGED)

David Harris

Following up this recent news with a Ryan Fitzpatrick hire would really suck all the exuberance out of my morning.

Except when you look at a roster with G-No and Vick in the top 2 spots at QB

As bad as Suckchez and Brunell

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the best option to get the offense going on the right path. Seems like an overall competent, focused coach who is going to bring a professional approach into the lockerroom. I doubt he's the long term solution though, I could be wrong but I'm thinking both sides know this may be a couple years gig most for Gailey.

Until....

I think this is the best option to get the offense going on the right path. Seems like an overall competent, focused coach who is going to bring a professional approach into the lockerroom. I doubt he's the long term solution though, I could be wrong but I'm thinking both sides know this may be a couple years gig most for Gailey.

Look at his coaching tenures from the previous page, ALL of his stops, other than HC of GT, have been 1 or 2 year gigs...which frankly, gives me some concern

This is the one thing I am highly skeptical about. I get Bowles wanting an older, experienced guy around him, I do. But I am not a fan of Chan Gaily. I was really hoping we would find someone with a track record of identifying, and developing a QB. Chan Gaily has no such track record. We talk all the time about the have and the have nots being separated by the QB, and as far as I can tell, we still have nobody who helps us get closer to finding our QB.

This is the one thing I am highly skeptical about. I get Bowles wanting an older, experienced guy around him, I do. But I am not a fan of Chan Gaily. I was really hoping we would find someone with a track record of identifying, and developing a QB. Chan Gaily has no such track record. We talk all the time about the have and the have nots being separated by the QB, and as far as I can tell, we still have nobody who helps us get closer to finding our QB.

Finding a QB is dumb luck. Truth. I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

Mike Maccagnan's job is to find the QB right? Hopefully he gets us closer to finding him.

Anybody looking for support behind that statement look no further than Marty Mornhinweg. Nobody in the league has a better resume working with star QBs.

I could have drawn up the annexation of Puerto Rico on a chalkboard and had to success that Marty morning wake had with the quarterbacks he was able to groom and his early career

rookie head coach, bring in a seasoned guy to run his o and give him some bench coach advice.. this looks like a very solid hire to me...

if he runs the spread, we might actually get something out of geno if we have to stick with him.. and/or maybe MM slips or we move up and he fits right into this systems concepts..

good start by bowles

rookie head coach, bring in a seasoned guy to run his o and give him some bench coach advice.. this looks like a very solid hire to me...

if he runs the spread, we might actually get something out of geno if we have to stick with him.. and/or maybe MM slips or we move up and he fits right into this systems concepts..

good start by bowles

Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I don't agree at all. I think you can luck into a QB, but that is not the only way, not by a long shot.

To a degree yeah, you may need the right coach to channel the talent, i.e. maybe Montana/Walsh, Farve/Holgrem but given the right opportunities, those QBs were going to be stars anyway. System and surrounding talent, right. So the system you're implementing does have an affect. But I'm not sure how much the individual coach to player relationship makes a difference. I mean, unless the coach is a schmuck. I don't think of a guy like Gailey with all his experience is the type to be considered a QB wrecker. QB coaches might make a difference to a younger QB. If so, Mornhinweg should be in a coaches HOF. Not a perfect science but I hear ya. 

My point is or was, I don't think you can look at Gailey and say based off of prior history they're doomed at QB. Seems silly. 

Initially I didn't like the Gailey hiring because I remember him from his HC days in BUF.  But

after reading the breakdown article earlier in the thread (great find) I can see why Bowles

hired him.  It shows Bowles has studied our personnel and has a vision for our offense.

Gailey's system sounds like what Smith is used to at W. Va and I definitely think we'll

be looking at Bryce Petty in the draft

Karl I certainly hope Petty will be on our  board come draft day. Sit him in 2015 and get a veteran in here. I loved this kid. Geno was and still is the worst starting QB in the NFL. I'm sorry but I don't see that changing Gailey or no Gailey. How many times do we have to hear " I've got to learn from that" in the post game pressers. let's have a fresh start, new staff and some honest impartial evaluation of our players. As far as Gaily is concerned as long as the word WILDCAT isn't in his play sheet I'll be happy. It does concerns me that he's been sitting at home for the past two seasons waiting for the phone to ring. sorry but that tells me something.

I guess we'll wait and see. Overall Woody did good. His remaining missing link is the money man. They need the cap/contract guy now.

One thing for sure is the off season is going to fun to watch.

Anybody looking for support behind that statement look no further than Marty Mornhinweg. Nobody in the league has a better resume working with star QBs. 

Wow ... is that misleading. LOL

The best thing about signing Gailey is it officially removes that utterly stupid douchebucket Mornhinweg from Jets payroll.

That in itself is worth celebrating. Now, if Gailey doesn't work out Bowles can always fire him in preseason like Haley did.

Yeah, I don't agree at all. I think you can luck into a QB, but that is not the only way, not by a long shot.

Even just bring bad at the right time is luck. Indy being the greatest example.

I think finding gems in the 2nd and 3rd round is a scouting skill for sure but still a bit of luck involved with drafting them. Broadway having a hard on for Wilson or Wolf when he was a jet having a hard on for Farve... two times our scouting was spot on but we were unable to land the player

Mike Maccagnan's job is to find the QB right? Hopefully he gets us closer to finding him.

Its his job to draft, sign, or trade for one, but as far as I know, he is not considered a QB guru by any means. The GM needs to be able to work with the coaching staff to build the roster, it is not one way or the other.

Tweets about Gailey:

Nick Mensio @NickMensio 9 hours ago  

I love the Gailey hire for the #Jets. He's old as dirt,but he was kinda
Chip Kelly before Chip Kelly was a thing.

Nick Mensio @NickMensio 9 hours ago  

Chan Gailey managed 71:44 TD:INT ratio out of Ryan freakin' Fitzpatrick
across 45 starts. Stevie Johnson 3-straight 1,000-yard seasons.

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL 9 hours ago  

Love the #Jets hires, Chan Gailey gets guys in space, is creative,
maximizes QBs. Just not HC material & that's what people judge him on.

Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL 10 hours ago  

Chan Gailey was a bust as a HC, but as an OC he's been really good.
Got good production with Tyler Thigpen at the helm in KC...

To a degree yeah, you may need the right coach to channel the talent, i.e. maybe Montana/Walsh, Farve/Holgrem but given the right opportunities, those QBs were going to be stars anyway. System and surrounding talent, right. So the system you're implementing does have an affect. But I'm not sure how much the individual coach to player relationship makes a difference. I mean, unless the coach is a schmuck. I don't think of a guy like Gailey with all his experience is the type to be considered a QB wrecker. QB coaches might make a difference to a younger QB. If so, Mornhinweg should be in a coaches HOF. Not a perfect science but I hear ya. 

My point is or was, I don't think you can look at Gailey and say based off of prior history they're doomed at QB. Seems silly. 

I am not saying we are doomed at QB, I am sure if the team is able to luck into a good QB, or somehow find one, he is not going to ruin it.

I just don't believe luck is a strategy. I believe you have to have people who know what they are looking for, and at, when it comes to a QB, and then you have to be able to put them in a position to succeed. 

If you can luck into a QB, great, but if you are sitting around hoping to get lucky at the QB position, that is a horrible strategy, in fact, its not a strategy at all.

You need to know the guys to go after, as well as the guys to stay away from, and then put them in the right position.

This is interesting, was he in football this past year?

....Gailey was retired.   Hope he still has some fire in the belly.  Its a curious hire by Bowles.     see article below:

Gailey was the first Bills head coach since Marv Levy retired not to remain in the NFL after he left.

Gailey noted how much calmer life has been for him and Laurie.

"It's just different now, me being around all the time," Gailey said. "But the stress level for her is so small right now. You can just see it on her. She wanted us to win and be successful. It took a lot out of her for us not to win.

"I've just seen her be able to relax this year more than ever before. That would be a major consideration for not coming back."

Even if Westhoff is right, an old veteran is preferable to some young QB coach.  That being said we'll all be complaining about him when Fitzpatrick/Geno/rookie struggles to put points on the board.  lol.

cannot have all newbies.  the guy has been to conference championships, no?

Spiller is a FA and was awesome under Gailey. That'd be cool. Either way, Ivory not an ideal fit for that offense, CJ?K should be out the door, and Powell is a FA.

Well. Spiller is a talented runner-- but he gets hurt a lot.  Obviously we will rid ourselves of CJ00K..... if fact , most of Idzik picks will be discarded..... except for Ivory and Sheldon.

I hope we have a great draft for once... QB, CB, OT, FS......... yipes, we need almost everything.!

Archived