Deflategate vs. Spygate

AFJF

Spygate was a more elaborate/in-depth cheating scandal, but it was early on in the season.  The league was able to say "Pats are guilty, we're taking a pick and some cash, but now it's fixed".  Deflategate?  How thrilled is the NFL that all anyone is going to talk about leading up to the super bowl is that one of the teams in the super bowl cheated on their way to getting there?  Final score doesn't matter, what "could have" or "may have" happened without cheating isn't the issue.  When the game started, the score was 0-0 and that's when the cheating started.  A blowout does not negate that fact.

As bad as it is, it could get worse.  If the Pats were to go on and win the SB, the cheating is still fresh enough that the league will be mocked for allowing it to happen, while Patriots fans tell the rest of the country that every team inflates/deflates the football to the PSI desired by the QB despite there being no proof of it (as of now).

It's a repeat offense.  That was part of league justifying Payton's year-long suspension in N.O. and now they have a repeat offense for BB, but he's a huge draw.  Him and Brady  make so much money for the league that I can't possibly see them suspending him.  More picks, more money, but I think he gets to coach every game next season.

Which is worse?  Thoughts?

Seriously thinking about putting some cash on Seahawks.  When was the last time it was in the best interest of the league to have the Patriots lose?  Barring flagrant/blatant penalties, I don't think the Pats get  single call in the SB.

Which is worse?  Thoughts?

Neither are "worse" or even "bad", because the Pats clearly gained from doing them, and lost nothing of consequence when caught.

If I was the Pats, I'd cheat in every way I could as well, because the league has proven, time and time again, that it will not enforce rules in a meaningful way against a team, despite the repeated, proven, evidence of wrongdoing.

If you're not smacked down for cheating, is it really cheating?  I notice none of the Pats wins have been revoked, no suspensions, etc.  A fine here, an irrelevant draft pick there, lol, chumpc hange when it comes to the gains cheating brings.

Neither are "worse" or even "bad", because the Pats clearly gained from doing them, and lost nothing of consequence when caught.

If I was the Pats, I'd cheat in every way I could as well, because the league has proven, time and time again, that it will not enforce rules in a meaningful way against a team, despite the repeated, proven, evidence of wrongdoing.

If you're not smacked down for cheating, is it really cheating?  I notice none of the Pats wins have been revoked, no suspensions, etc.  A fine here, an irrelevant draft pick there, lol, chumpc hange when it comes to the gains cheating brings.

That's a big key here...until they start taking wins away, the cheating is worth it.  If some cash and a pick every now and then is the price you pay when you do get caught, why stop?

That's a big key here...until they start taking wins away, the cheating is worth it.  If some cash and a pick every now and then is the price you pay when you do get caught, why stop?

I'd trade a 5th round pick and $100,000 for unlimited abillity to cheat resulting (in part) in helping create a Super Bowl Appearance season.

Wouldn't you?

Brady does make lots of $ for the NFL...one of the greatest ever. People pay to watch his excellence. Nobody pays squat to watch any head coach in any sport. Brady is valuable to the league, Belichick only to his own team. Huge difference.

I'd argue Belichick has no value to the team, his defenses have been bad for years, he's a terrible GM and he's a career loser w/out Brady. A proper GM/competant coach combo rides Brady to more SB wins.. Part of the benefit the pats have has is how bad the Jets/Dolphins and Bills have been for how long, they basically get a hall pass to HFA every year

The worst thing that will happen is a fine.

Only if the picks they lose are 3rd round or lower.  A couple firsts and a few seconds is worse than taking cash from Kraft or BB IMO.

No idea why this part of the story hasn't been picked up on and reported more widely.

I heard Schefter (I believe) on NFL radio yesterday.  He said that during the Pats vs. Colts game on Nov 16th, Colts had two INT's.  On BOTH picks, Colts defenders brought the ball back to the sideline and noticed they felt "soft".  They took note of it, didn't report it, and were going to look for it this time around.  So, when they got their first INT, they looked at the ball and found the same thing.

Clearly ongoing cheating, no idea how long.

Outcome doesn't excuse intent. I agree. 

I hope it gets worse, much worse... 

Agreed...and it's more than that...Just because this game was a blow out - what about all the other games in which they did this and didn't get caught.

What about the week before in the cold? I'm sure the balls were deflated then too - and that game - one or two plays meant winning or losing...

No idea why this part of the story hasn't been picked up on and reported more widely.

I heard Schefter (I believe) on NFL radio yesterday.  He said that during the Pats vs. Colts game on Nov 16th, Colts had two INT's.  On BOTH picks, Colts defenders brought the ball back to the sideline and noticed they felt "soft".  They took note of it, didn't report it, and were going to look for it this time around.  So, when they got their first INT, they looked at the ball and found the same thing.

Wow - and here's an example they were likely warned (just like the Saints) this should be a one year suspension for BB.  The more you see the patern of cheating coming out of this organization -  it's going to get hard for the NFL to turn a blind-eye on this one...

Agreed...and it's more than that...Just because this game was a blow out - what about all the other games in which they did this and didn't get caught.

What about the week before in the cold? I'm sure the balls were deflated then too - and that game - one or two plays meant winning or losing...

See my post above.  They'd been doing it since at least Nov 16th if not earlier.  Like I said in that post,  no idea why this part of the story hasn't become as big as the rest of it. 

Brady does make lots of $ for the NFL...one of the greatest ever. People pay to watch his excellence. Nobody pays squat to watch any head coach in any sport. Brady is valuable to the league, Belichick only to his own team. Huge difference.

The secondary ticket market for the Super Bowl sucks. Analysts are blaming "Patriot fatigue" as the reason. People are sick of the Pats. They are bad for the league right now. 

Brady = overrated cheating POS. 

Shame they can't prove that.  That IMO would be conclusive evidence that it wasn't just some random mistake by a ball boy.  That is what they are going to say.

In order to make this a major issue, with big discipline,  it must proven that Luck had to use balls that were properly  inflated, while Brady was using balls that were under inflated.  Other wise it will be a slap on the wrist thing.

I don't know how they are going to prove that.  Also as said earlier, if Rex was fined $100,000 for using the F word as a repeat offender, the league needs to lay the hammer down  on them.

If I was an ambitious lawyer, a class action law suit would be in order for the fans who were  defrauded out of millions of dollars

See my post above.  They'd been doing it since at least Nov 16th if not earlier.  Like I said in that post,  no idea why this part of the story hasn't become as big as the rest of it. 

Yes, this needs to become part of the story.  There's this ongoing excuse that BB shouldn't be treated like the Saints - because the Saints were warned.

Sounds like that excuse no longer has merit either.  I'm really starting to think BB is out all next year.  Even Goodell is going to have to do this - with everything that's gone on this year - he needs to set an example that cheating won't be tolerated.

Just like last time Pats lost a pick, of course the NFL took their "original" first round pick (#31) but as luck would have it Pats had another first round pick that year (#10) that they got from NO. So as many here have said, Jets will have to give them a pick for tampering, and they will lose their original pick. Pats will be "punished" by moving up in the draft or at worst losing 31 and gaining the Jets 2nd rounder (38). Typical Goodell response to his buddy Kraft.

Seriously thinking about putting some cash on Seahawks. When was the last time it was in the best interest of the league to have the Patriots lose? Barring flagrant/blatant penalties, I don't think the Pats get single call in the SB.

Don't. Just as likely they circle the wagons. Remember the 16-0 year was after Spygate.

How great is Brady without BB? Some teams think the Pats are still taping signals, and now this. I also read this morning that the Pats stats in bad weather conditions do not follow the trend of the rest of the league. And there are other questions. Could this be why Blount was a fumble machine in Tampa, then goes to a climate that is more challenging to holding onto a ball and suddenly doesn't fumble? Much harder to fumble a deflated ball. The league looks like a joke right now. If they don't suspend BB, they risk being looked at similar to the way people look at the WWE.

How great is Brady without BB? Some teams think the Pats are still taping signals, and now this. I also read this morning that the Pats stats in bad weather conditions do not follow the trend of the rest of the league. And there are other questions. Could this be why Blount was a fumble machine in Tampa, then goes to a climate that is more challenging to holding onto a ball and suddenly doesn't fumble? Much harder to fumble a deflated ball. The league looks like a joke right now. If they don't suspend BB, they risk being looked at similar to the way people look at the WWE.

Maybe the FireJohnIdzik guys can make a website. 

the issue with bellichick is that cheating is a compulsion for him - he's only been caught 3 times.   I honestly think he just cheats at everything and has the arrogant narcissistic personality that thinks he's smarter than everyone else and won't get caught.  

He cheated a dying Leon Hess out of $1M, he cheated with a married woman, he was taping defensive signals for year, and now this.   It's like getting caught speeding - you've been speeding for years, you just got the caught  with the one ticket.    My guess is that the Patriots are cheating a whole lot more than we'll ever know.  

the issue with bellichick is that cheating is a compulsion for him - he's only been caught 3 times.   I honestly think he just cheats at everything and has the arrogant narcissistic personality that thinks he's smarter than everyone else and won't get caught.  

He cheated a dying Leon Hess out of $1M, he cheated with a married woman, he was taping defensive signals for year, and now this.   It's like getting caught speeding - you've been speeding for years, you just got the caught  with the one ticket.    My guess is that the Patriots are cheating a whole lot more than we'll ever know.  

Bush league garbage....and the NFL allows it.

Don't. Just as likely they circle the wagons. Remember the 16-0 year was after Spygate.

Shut up, a$$hole, I want the line to come back. Don't tap the tank. It's more likely that the game ends with Belichick at midfield literally taking a crap on the logo than it does with Seattle ahead on the scoreboard. This team always kills it under fake adversity.

Shut up, a$$hole, I want the line to come back. Don't tap the tank. It's more likely that the game ends with Belichick at midfield literally taking a crap on the logo than it does with Seattle ahead on the scoreboard. This team always kills it under fake adversity.

If I can't afford to bet sh*t, none of you will.

Archived