Ryan Mallett anyone?

Joe Jets fan

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes significantly more sense to keep him than trade, unless they're blown away with an offer. And I'd hope the Jets weren't interested in blowing them away. He's under contract, and they released the guy the head coach brought in last year to take over for him. You have to have a backup, and Glennon makes sense in the part-time starter role while they bring along the QB they prefer. 

This is very logical, though I hope the Jets attempt to blow them away for the rights to Glennon. 

Geno Smith is better than Mallett.

Here's what will happen. Cut and resign Percy Harvin. Bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick to push Geno and maybe even beat him out. Draft and groom Mariotta. That's as good as its gets for 2015.

Here's what will happen. Cut and resign Percy Harvin. Bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick to push Geno and maybe even beat him out. Draft and groom Mariotta. That's as good as its gets for 2015.

First of all no Geno is not.

But tell us why Fitzpatrick over mallett?

Your name is slats so I'm going to assume that you're a Ranger fan. Nobody could stop saying that stuff when we drafted Hugh Jessiman. He was easily the worst pick in the 03 draft which was easily one of the best 1st rounds ever.

My point is, the size stuff means nothing if you suck. And Mallett couldn't beat out Fitzpatrick, who I like but isn't that great.

In Mallett's defense, he got traded to the Texans halfway through the preseason (Patriots probably realized that Mallett would leave the following off season and they wanted to get something of value for him) and he did not have enough time to learn the playbook and actually compete against Fitz. 

Mallett is my preferred target at QB. The guy has great height and a great arm, he just has not had a chance yet in the pros. 

In Mallett's defense, he got traded to the Texans halfway through the preseason (Patriots probably realized that Mallett would leave the following off season and they wanted to get something of value for him) and he did not have enough time to learn the playbook and actually compete against Fitz.

Mallett is my preferred target at QB. The guy has great height and a great arm, he just has not had a chance yet in the pros.

That's fair. Point taken.

It's built into the conditional pick language that if the Jets cut Harvin and resign him within a relatively large window (maybe the draft, not sure), then the Jets still owe the fourth round pick. But the real problem with that scenario is that if the Jets cut Harvin, he will bolt to a team with a QB and/or a chance to win right now. There's no reason to stick with the Jets if he's not getting his $10M. Only way to cut his pay is leverage him just before the season, when he has no other options.

If Ryan Fitzpatrick is as good as it gets, I has sad. The QB the Bucs pass on will be the story of the draft.

Playbook?  You understand that Mallet had Obrien in NE and that the playbook is 90% the same.

If those are the bodies in camp there is a 99% chance that Mariotta is the starter on opening day.

I like Mallett a lot and think he can still be a decent NFL starter.  That said, Jimmy Garoppolo beat him out cleanly, so imagine the trolling that would go on if he were the Jets starter next season. 

Was he beat out? or did they know that they were 100% giving the backup job to Garoppolo, so they got anything they could get for Mallett since he wasn't making the team anyway.

Was he beat out? or did they know that they were 100% giving the backup job to Garoppolo, so they got anything they could get for Mallett since he wasn't making the team anyway.

Garoppolo clearly outplayed him and won the #2 job fair and square.  If Mallett had won the #2 job, I believe that the Patriots would have carried 3 QBs on the roster.  Mallett only became expendable as the #3 QB.  

Playbook?  You understand that Mallet had Obrien in NE and that the playbook is 90% the same.

Not really fair.  He was traded after the 4th preseason game and the Pats kept him on their 53 before the trade.  Teams were probably waiting hoping he'd be cut.  It's not easy to take the starting job when you join a team between the 4th preseason game and the opener.  He got the nod by week 11 and tore his pec.

As for Garappolo, I think it is hard to say how easily he beat out Mallet.  Mallet was in the last year of his deal and the Pats make it clear when they are moving on from these guys.  I think they set it up for Garappolo to supplant him.  Mallet sucked in the first preseason game, but he was much better in the second.  In the third they used him for one series and held him out of the fourth so they could move him.  I think the handling of Mallet and Garoppolo this preseason was text book Pats.  It is intelligent, but nothing I would base any strong opinion of the players.  Take my opinions for what they are worth - I saw very little of either of them this preseason, but that is how it reads to me.  I was wondering if the Jets would try for Mallet, but presumably the Pats would not want to deal within the division, particularly such a high risk(what if he played well with the Jets?), low reward (conditional 7th) move.

Not really fair.  He was traded after the 4th preseason game and the Pats kept him on their 53 before the trade.  Teams were probably waiting hoping he'd be cut.  It's not easy to take the starting job when you join a team between the 4th preseason game and the opener.  He got the nod by week 11 and tore his pec.

As for Garappolo, I think it is hard to say how easily he beat out Mallet.  Mallet was in the last year of his deal and the Pats make it clear when they are moving on from these guys.  I think they set it up for Garappolo to supplant him.  Mallet sucked in the first preseason game, but he was much better in the second.  In the third they used him for one series and held him out of the fourth so they could move him.  I think the handling of Mallet and Garoppolo this preseason was text book Pats.  It is intelligent, but nothing I would base any strong opinion of the players.  Take my opinions for what they are worth - I saw very little of either of them this preseason, but that is how it reads to me.  I was wondering if the Jets would try for Mallet, but presumably the Pats would not want to deal within the division, particularly such a high risk(what if he played well with the Jets?), low reward (conditional 7th) move.

Mallet's rookie season he had a pretty good preseason showing decent potential.

His last few preseasons, fully realizing it is preseason, he was not sharp.  He was not accurate as far as a New England gameplan goes.

Garappolo was set-up to supplant Mallet and like Mallet's rookie preseasonn he has shown potential.  I also believe his game is better suited to New England.

Mallet's rookie season he had a pretty good preseason showing decent potential.

His last few preseasons, fully realizing it is preseason, he was not sharp.  He was not accurate as far as a New England gameplan goes.

Garappolo was set-up to supplant Mallet and like Mallet's rookie preseasonn he has shown potential.  I also believe his game is better suited to New England.

I think that is a very reasonable explanation, and if Mallett had been just slightly better than Garoppolo I think they still might have traded Mallett anyway.  But saying Garoppolo beat out Mallett says more about Garoppolo than Mallett.  I still like Mallett a lot, but Garoppolo passes the "eye test" even more so than Mallett (and as PFKISH notes, he is a better fit for the Patriots offense as well).  If you take the highlights from all of Mallett's preseasons combined, I don't think it comes close to what Garoppolo put on film in his one preseason. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJEYx7ZQ1M

Mallett is a statue. Unless you are Peyton Manning, QBs must be able to move at least a little to escape the rush. Ryan Mallett is not PM.

No.

Plus he doesn't know how to read an nfl defense and he is a weirdo. I wouldn't be shocked if he was on something. Haven't we learned from the Matt Cassell's and Brian Hoyers? Brady's backups all suck

Garoppolo clearly outplayed him and won the #2 job fair and square. If Mallett had won the #2 job, I believe that the Patriots would have carried 3 QBs on the roster. Mallett only became expendable as the #3 QB.

Not saying much. Matt Simms would best out Mallet in our TC next summer. Belichick knows when to get rid of people and he conned O'Brirn into taking this stiff and now Obrien doesn't even want him.

Not saying much. Matt Simms would best out Mallet in our TC next summer. Belichick knows when to get rid of people and he conned O'Brirn into taking this stiff and now Obrien doesn't even want him.

Beli got rid of Mallett because he had an opportunity to get a draft pick for him instead of just losing him through FA. There was no way Mallett was coming back to NE unless he was just comfortable being a backup indefinitely (which, frankly, would not reflect well on him). 

Beli got rid of Mallett because he had an opportunity to get a draft pick for him instead of just losing him through FA. There was no way Mallett was coming back to NE unless he was just comfortable being a backup indefinitely (which, frankly, would not reflect well on him).

Okay hot shot them why isn't Bill O'Brien bringing back Ryan Mallett if he's so good?

Archived