Chris Johnson trashes John Idzik

joewilly12

Just two days after the Jets declined to pick up his contract option for 2015, effectively making him a free agent, Chris Johnson sounded a lot like a guy who's eager to get the heck out of Florham Park.

"I think I went into a situation where I was told one thing, and it was another," Johnson said Monday afternoon during an appearance on "The Rich Eisen Show."

The old bait and switch, eh? More on that in a bit.

Last April, at the time Johnson signed with the Jets after six years with the Titans, he said he understood he'd have to share the loadwith Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell, as was the plan. But Johnson's opportunities more or less fell off a cliff early in the season, an outcome he blamed on interference from general manager John Idzik, who was fired along with head coach Rex Ryan the day after the regular season ended.

Johnson, who will be 30 in September, rushed for only 663 yards and one touchdown and caught just 24 passes for 151 yards, all of which were career lows by wide margins. He did, however, average 4.3 yards per carry. And he only got roughly half the opportunities to run the ball—9.7 attempts per game—as he had annually with the Titans.

"Basically, it was a situation where I was going there to be the guy or whatever," Johnson said. "It was still said, yeah, both guys [Johnson and Ivory] were going to get playing time. I think it was like after the [third] game or something like that, it just switched over and I started getting less and less playing time, and not knowing where it came from."

Johnson finished the season with 155 carries to Ivory's 198. But from Week 4 through Week 12, Johnson had more than seven carries in a game just twice. 

In December, Johnson expressed frustration about his role to NJ Advance Media's Darryl Slater. In his interview with Eisen, Johnson acknowledged he had tried to keep from going public with how much things had bothered him last season.

"I never wanted to be a cancer in the locker room, or be the bad guy, so all I could really do is take advantage of my opportunities, talk to Rex, talk to [Anthony Lynn] the running back coach," Johnson told Eisen.

Johnson then said he felt like Ryan's hands were tied the whole time.

"Throughout the whole thing, I think last year, with that organization, I think a lot of the stuff was out of Rex's hands," Johnson said. "A lot of the things that we were doing I think it was out of Rex's hands. Don't nobody know but it was a [bad] situation."

Eisen then asked if it was it Idzik who took things out of Ryan's hands.

"Yeah, like a lot of things, probably, I guess, calling the shots, as far as with the team and things that goes on on Sundays, and whatever," Johnson said. "I think a lot of it was out of Rex's hands because when I sat down and talked to Rex before I signed with the Jets, my role and my situation were explained to me totally different to what actually happened. That's just what it was. It wasn't never a type of thing where I was just being outplayed or anything like that. It was never a situation where I got the opportunity to show my talents and be used the way that I was supposed to be used."

Johnson's assessment dovetails somewhat with a report Thomas George did for SB Nation back in December that described a "toxic" culture over at One Jets Drive. The Jets have since cleaned house by replacing Ryan and Idzik with Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan.

By declining to exercise Johnson's option, the Jets won't have to pay Johnson a $500,000 option bonus toward his $3.5 million base salary for 2015. And because that money was not guaranteed, the Jets can wipe that $3.5 million off their cap charge for the coming year, though they are expected to have an estimated $50 million in cap space.

Johnson, meanwhile, will now become a free agent on March 10, the first day of the new league year. Last year, the Titans didn't release Johnson until April 4, more than three weeks after free agency had begun, thus limiting his options. But thanks to the way his deal with the Jets was structured, Johnson won't have that problem this time—and he's happy about that, even if his age and his lack of production last year might be used against him at the negotiating table.

Johnson also still has an open case pending for his arrest on a misdemeanor weapons charge last month in his home state of Florida. He has pleaded not guilty.

"It just didn't jell; it just didn't work out," Johnson told Eisen of his time with the Jets. "That being said, I think it was a good thing I did my contract how I did it. Basically, I was on a one-year deal with an option of a second year. I know how I feel when I'm working out and all those types of things, so I'm just very excited to see what lies ahead.

"This year, I'm a free agent earlier on and I'll be able to go through the process like everyone else, and I think this time I'll be able to put myself in a better situation than what I was able to do last year. I was kind of forced on going somewhere because I didn't have the right opportunity as everybody had when it was time to hit free agency."

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What angers me more is why didn't Bilal Powell get an opportunity play more

Agree

At this point in their careers Powell is a more valuable player then Johnson.  They tried way to hard to force the ball to Johnson.  Can't imagine why he is crying.  he got way more touches then his performance called  for

The blame for this should fall on none other than Woody Johnson for hiring a man and forcing him to work with a HC he didn't want.  Unfortunately, John Idzik shares his part of the blame because he took the dumb Job.

It was the model that was stupid. If Woody was so enamored with Rex, he should've put him in charge of everything, and let him hire a personnel guy to work under him (a la Chip Kelly's gig). Keeping Rex, and hiring a new GM to be his boss was just a terrible dynamic from the start.

The fact that he hired someone so far in over his head as Idzik only compounded the problem.

So 4.3 ypc and 800 yards from LOS as a backup is crap

Did you watch him play?

Also, if you take out ONE RUN, his average drops from 4.3 to 4.0.

That said, it was about what should have been expected. I'd hoped that getting cut by the Titans would be a wakeup call, but instead we got the same half-effort Chris Johnson that's been around since 2009. It really is a shame, as he could have been an all-time great if he only had any desire whatsoever.

...played terribly to blame a 'toxic culture'. Which I'm pretty sure the jets are no more toxic than Seattle with Harvin and lynch and whatever else. The whole jets culture BS is a cop out by players and lazy writing by writers and analysts and really untrue on most accounts.

Didnt think he came off bad here...he should have been getting more touches down the stretch, but the season was already over at that point anyways. Ivory sucks, but Johnson wasnt going to be the long term answer either...the signing should have never been made to begin with.

Didnt think he came off bad here...he should have been getting more touches down the stretch, but the season was already over at that point anyways. Ivory sucks, but Johnson wasnt going to be the long term answer either...the signing should have never been made to begin with.

Exactly, why do the Jets think these over-the-hill RB's are great FA signings?

RB's in the NFL go downhill after the age of 27. Did the Jets miss that memo?

I feel like I say it every off-season, and this year I'm saying it about CJ Spiller... don't be the team that gives out 2nd and 3rd contracts to RBs. 

ESPECiALLY in a year where the draft is loaded at RB. 

I feel like I say it every off-season, and this year I'm saying it about CJ Spiller... don't be the team that gives out 2nd and 3rd contracts to RBs. 

ESPECiALLY in a year where the draft is loaded at RB. 

Exactly my thoughts too...idk why were all giddy over Spiller when this draft is loaded with younger better backs.

Archived