Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

While I like Gregory as a pass rusher, the first pick of a GM or HC (if it's in the top 10) is something that pretty much will haunt them for the rest of their careers almost. You have to hit the jackpot with the first top pick, you have to play it safe, can't afford a Gholston or a Justin Blackman. I doubt Maccbow would make such a risky pick when it's not really that neccessary either. There's like 3-4 pass rushers worthy of a top 10 pick, go pick one of the other guys if you really want a pass rusher at 6. Fowler would be my top choice.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really think Dan was the one to initiate this? Was on the phone calling TB? For a Safety?

I'm not going to say he initiated anything, but I believe the conversation was brought up before a call was placed to Tampa.

The difference is that 1/2 of what we've done has already played together as a tandem at a high level. We also don't have Sciano as a HC. Aso was a mystical creation by Al davis and a terrible supporting cast in Oakland and what is generally known as fools gold.

in retrospect the Pursuit of Aso was essentially the beginning of the end for the Rex Ryan Jets. That off season we lost Ellis, Smith, Cotchery, Braylon etc and signed Plax and Mason and Holmes after we lost out on the Aso sweepstakes.

We alomost lost Cro as well by pursuing that turd. 

Our situation, while similar has distinct differences which give me some good ol fashioned hope.

You do know that our head coach was the secondary coach on that Philly team, right?

You do know that our head coach was the secondary coach on that Philly team, right?

Interesting point but it doesn't alleviate what I was talking about. Aso was perceived to be the Revis of the west and was the highest paid CB in the league. Al Davis' ridiculous contract is what started this whole mess with the highest paid CB in the business being at 16 mil.  The fact that the rest of the Raiders were essentially dog sh*t it left Aso on the illusion of an island when in actuality, while talented of course, he was more pedestrian than he was Revis. When the Eagles stole him from our clutches in FA they expected a lock down corner and really never got that at all. They jumped in the lake for the fools gold.

DRC is a guy who's big knock is inconstant play and half hearted effort. Samuel was at the end of his career. 

Like I said, it looks very similar and in some ways it is, but it's the specific cast of characters that make the difference. In our situation Revis and Cro have actually been a tandem before with very positive results. They feel like partners to each other and both wanted to play together again and sort of finish what they started. The chemistry is there. There's no guarantee of course, but it's a very different situation.

The schiano comment was just to reference the Tampa dream group as well. Let's not forget the down right mutiny that happened that season down there.  That's enough to derail the best of player groups.

On the other side of all this, we don't even know if Bowles can be a HC so there's that.   :D

6. New York Jets: Dante Fowler Jr., OLB, Florida

Comment: The other options are Cooper (wide receiver isn't a need) and fellow pass-rushers Vic Beasley and Shane Ray. New GM Mike Maccagnan will look to trade down because he knows he can get similar value in the 8-to-15 range. If he has no takers, he'll select Fowler because, unlike Beasley and Ray, he has the size (6-foot-3, 261 pounds) to be an effective every-down player.

Cimini rarely, if ever, makes sense so take it with a grain of salt. I'm convinced the Jaguars will pick a receiver, probably Amari Cooper. I'm hoping they don't but they'd be stupid not to. Their defense played somewhat decent last year (in some games they actually looked really good), what they desperately need is a #1 receiver to help out Bortles. They have a new TE, some new linemen, if they grab Amari Cooper with their 1st pick and Gurley with their 2nd pick they could be in the wild card race, they could turn that franchise around. Leonard Williams would be a waste of a pick, even if he ends up being a Pro Bowler.

Cimini rarely, if ever, makes sense so take it with a grain of salt. I'm convinced the Jaguars will pick a receiver, probably Amari Cooper. I'm hoping they don't but they'd be stupid not to. Their defense played somewhat decent last year (in some games they actually looked really good), what they desperately need is a #1 receiver to help out Bortles. They have a new TE, some new linemen, if they grab Amari Cooper with their 1st pick and Gurley with their 2nd pick they could be in the wild card race, they could turn that franchise around. Leonard Williams would be a waste of a pick, even if he ends up being a Pro Bowler.

Jags picked Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson last year, and are probably going to get Blackmon back. Allen Hurns was legit, too.

Jags picked Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson last year, and are probably going to get Blackmon back. Allen Hurns was legit, too.

Jaguars have one of the youngest and promising set of WRs in the league with Lee, Robinson and Hurns.  Plus I forgot all about about Blackmon.  

Jags desperately need DL, and OLB for their 4-3.  

Jags also desperately need a T.  They moved the 2013 overall #2 pick, Luke Joeckel to LT last season where he was downright awful.  Still too early to call him a bust, but it would be better to move him back to RT and draft a stud for LT.  WR is the least of their worries, in fact, it's probably the strength of their team.

You don't draft for needs.

Ordinarily.  But the Jags are downright desperate at a few positions (DT, OLB, T).  No way on Earth do they draft WR in round 1 with the promising young group they have.  With their two 2nd rounders invested at WR last draft (in a deep WR class no less), WR is the best position on their entire roster.  That group performed admirably last season despite Bortles having to run for his life for the entire season.  Imagine what they and Bortles could do with more protection up front and with a defense that can stop the opposition once in a while.  So, IMO, you are dead wrong about Jax.  

Ordinarily.  But the Jags are downright desperate at a few positions (DT, OLB, T).  No way on Earth do they draft WR in round 1 with the promising young group they have.  With their two 2nd rounders invested at WR last draft (in a deep WR class no less), WR is the best position on their entire roster.  That group performed admirably last season despite Bortles having to run for his life for the entire season.  Imagine what they and Bortles could do with more protection up front and with a defense that can stop the opposition once in a while.  So, IMO, you are dead wrong about Jax.  

Stephen Hill showed promise, it means nothing. None of the guys the Jaguars have are starting material. Hurns is a backup, wildly inconsistent, Lee was average last year, he's a #2 at best if he manages to step up this year. Robinson is not a starter, Blackmon hasn't even been reinstated yet and he's one wrong step from flushing his career down the toilet for good. How do you count on these guys? I mean if this is your standard, if those are your expectations, then go right ahead. But we're talking about throwing a Julio Jones type in there, an AJ Green. Amari is on a different planet than those guys. That's the type of guy you want your QB throwing the ball to. They improved the O-Line, they got a good TE now, they need a go to receiver and a RB. Like I said, if they can get Cooper in round 1 and Gurley in round 2, that offense could be special if coordinated right. Leonard Williams isn't going to do a damn thing for that team. Neither will Fowler. Sheldon doesn't win games for us. Neither does Mo. And Watt hasn't exactly turned that Texans team around either. They're just much more likely to make the playoffs if they can fix that offense. Who knows, maybe they go pick Leonard Williams and Lee or Robinson steps up and becomes an impact player, and they somehow get production out of Peyton Hillis or whoever carries the ball for them. I don't see it but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Stephen Hill showed promise, it means nothing. None of the guys the Jaguars have are starting material. Hurns is a backup, wildly inconsistent, Lee was average last year, he's a #2 at best if he manages to step up this year. Robinson is not a starter, Blackmon hasn't even been reinstated yet and he's one wrong step from flushing his career down the toilet for good. How do you count on these guys? I mean if this is your standard, if those are your expectations, then go right ahead. But we're talking about throwing a Julio Jones type in there, an AJ Green. Amari is on a different planet than those guys. That's the type of guy you want your QB throwing the ball to. They improved the O-Line, they got a good TE now, they need a go to receiver and a RB. Like I said, if they can get Cooper in round 1 and Gurley in round 2, that offense could be special if coordinated right. Leonard Williams isn't going to do a damn thing for that team. Neither will Fowler. Sheldon doesn't win games for us. Neither does Mo. And Watt hasn't exactly turned that Texans team around either. They're just much more likely to make the playoffs if they can fix that offense. Who knows, maybe they go pick Leonard Williams and Lee or Robinson steps up and becomes an impact player, and they somehow get production out of Peyton Hillis or whoever carries the ball for them. I don't see it but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Robinson and Lee were rookies last year. Despite what all the great stats but up by that receiver class, it was not the norm and most rookies do need a year or so to get used to the league.  I think they will step up big time this year.  Drafting Cooper in round one with a defensive stud like Williams on the board would just show just how clueless that organization is.   I don't see what Cooper as a rookie will do that Allan Robinson and Marquise Lee as second year players can't or won't do.  (As good as Cooper is projected to be I don't think anyone expects he will have a season like OBJ) Plus there will be plenty of quality receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if they want to add another one.    

Just because Watt or Sheldon hasn't changed their teams fortunes didn't mean it was a mistake to draft them. I think the lack of a franchise qb had more to do with that then anything else. 

Robinson and Lee were rookies last year. Despite what all the great stats but up by that receiver class, it was not the norm and most rookies do need a year or so to get used to the league.  I think they will step up big time this year.  Drafting Cooper in round one with a defensive stud like Williams on the board would just show just how clueless that organization is.   I don't see what Cooper as a rookie will do that Allan Robinson and Marquise Lee as second year players can't or won't do.  (As good as Cooper is projected to be I don't think anyone expects he will have a season like OBJ) Plus there will be plenty of quality receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds if they want to add another one.    

Just because Watt or Sheldon hasn't changed their teams fortunes didn't mean it was a mistake to draft them. I think the lack of a franchise qb had more to do with that then anything else. 

And that's exactly my point, they already have their franchise QB in place. Let me put it this way: If you're Jacksonville and you have the third pick with Odell Beckham and Aaron Donald on the board, who do you pick?

We'll just have to agree to disagree.  Not that I ever expected you to acknowledge my points, because you never do for anyone you debate with around here from what I have seen.  Whatever floats your boat. I believe that Allen Robinson has huge potential and was hoping Idzik could land him.  And Lee was hurt much of the year.  Both have the ability to be excellent starters.  And I'd take Hurns over Kerley any day for #3 WR.  But the real problem was that Bortles couldn't breathe at all behind that line and the defense was porous.  No chance in hell do they draft a WR in round 1.  If they did, it would be moronic.  Too bad for them that their 1st rounder form 2013 is bordering on being a bust at OT.  If he doesn't improve, that's a huge blow.  Overall #2.

And that's exactly my point, they already have their franchise QB in place. Let me put it this way: If you're Jacksonville and you have the third pick with Odell Beckham and Aaron Donald on the board, who do you pick?

Cooper is not Odell Beckham and they already have two very highly rated wide receivers in Robinson and Lee.  They can add a quality receiver in the 2nd round.  You are not finding a player of similar ability to Williams in the 2nd second round.  . 

Jacksonville has Blackmon coming back. So it's Blackmon, Lee, Robinson, Allen Hurn and Ace Sanders. That core of guys are young and talented enough. If they go offense what they need is a Tackle, RB or TE. Bortle problem isn't his receivers getting open but more so finding the time and a gameplan to not have him throw every down. Cooper make zero sense for them.

edit: I forgot they sign Thomas.

Archived