Jets Should Work to Retain Harvin

JetNation

IMG_5693 (2)

By Glenn Naughton

Following the Jets’ acquisition of a legitimate number-one wide receiver in Brandon Marshall from the Chicago Bears, fellow receiver Percy Harvin and his future with the team has become a hot topic of conversation.  Harvin’s release appears to be a foregone conclusion at this point but the Jets have until March 18th to make that decision before his $10.5 million salary becomes guaranteed the following day.

Obtained in a mid-season deal with the Seattle Seahawks by former general manager John Idzik, Harvin was inconsistent playing with a quarterback tandem of Michael Vick and Geno Smith, yet he still managed to produce two outings of over 120 yards in seven full games.   Several errant passes on deep balls to an open Harvin also contributed to his up and down stat lines.

Should the Jets opt to keep Harvin, they would owe Seattle their fourth round pick in this year’s draft.  If released before the March 19th deadline, the pick becomes a sixth rounder.

While it has been widely reported that the receiver is unwilling to re-negotiate his current contract, it would be foolish of both Harvin and the Jets to move on without making a genuine effort to hammer out a deal.

In the case of Harvin, he has several issues that will impact his value on the open market.  The top two being his durability, or lack thereof, and lingering character concerns despite what was reportedly excellent behavior on a 4-12 team last season.

From the Jets’ perspective, they’re trying to improve an offense that has consistently been among the worst in the NFL for the better part of a decade and ranked 28th last season in points scored.  Keeping Harvin means giving offensive coordinator Chan Gailey one of the most potent groups in the NFL.  Marshall, Eric Decker, Harvin, Jeremy Kerley and tight end Jace Amaro would provide Gailey the opportunity to create mismatches all over the field.

With so much uncertainty at the quarterback position, it would be in GM Mike Maccagnan’s best interest to surround whoever will be under center for the Jets with as many playmakers as possible.  The addition of Marshall is a big step in doing just that, finding a way to convince Harvin to play for a more cap-friendly number should be next on the list.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-_caz7pNk5k

View the full article

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well most people don't really want Revis back.  It doesn't make sense to spend so much on a player who's no longer in his prime.  We should just offer harvin a similar contract to what brandon marshall has been given.  If he demands more then that kick em outta here.   

Chris Lopresti made a great point yesterday...may as well keep Harvin until they know they need the money for another player.  They still have a lot to spend and some big names coming off the board before FA even started.  His presence makes the team better...if he's not hurting their ability to add players, just keep him.

They just paid Decker and Kerley and brought in Marshall. He's not a very good wide receiver. He won't take a pay cut. Time to move on and see what Amaro and some of the other guys can do with added looks.

Agreed.  He's not worth anywhere near the money that he would be owed this year.  He's also not worth all the trouble that he'll surely cause when he gets his money.  He's been a headache everywhere he's been and once he gets his money with the next team, he'll most likely be a headache there as well.  He was only behaved in NY last year because getting kicked off two teams in the same season would make it virtually impossible to get another contract with another team.

Add to that the fact that he's, at best, a mediocre wide receiver, a terrible route runner, and one of the more overrated kick returners in the game, and there's not much value there for someone making $10.5 million.

Harvin still believes he is worth 10.5 million.   The Jets should reinforce that.   Don't release him until the 18th. Continue talking with him.    Indicate to him that he is the best WR in the NFL, but they just can't surrender the 4th.

When he is released on the 18th it will be a week after the FA big spending.  Harvin still thinking he can get 10.5 won't sign.  If his ego keeps him unsigned until after the draft, Jets should pursuit him again.  Offering 6-8.  Depending what other offers are on the table.

If they can sign him for 6.5.  Great.  If some crazy person pays him 10.5.  Oh well 

Harvin still believes he is worth 10.5 million.   The Jets should reinforce that.   Don't release him until the 18th. Continue talking with him.    Indicate to him that he is the best WR in the NFL, but they just can't surrender the 4th.

When he is released on the 18th it will be a week after the FA big spending.  Harvin still thinking he can get 10.5 won't sign.  If his ego keeps him unsigned until after the draft, Jets should pursuit him again.  Offering 6-8.  Depending what other offers are on the table.

If they can sign him for 6.5.  Great.  If some crazy person pays him 10.5.  Oh well 

the timing is 100% in the jets favor.  can't believe harvins agent agreed to that date.  there will be no big money left

There's only so much you can do with geno smith. We don't need 4 receivers with contracts over 4 million a year. He can only do so much, regardless if he improves. Need that money to upgrade elsewhere, especially since all these cornerbacks are getting this much money.

Chris Lopresti made a great point yesterday...may as well keep Harvin until they know they need the money for another player.  They still have a lot to spend and some big names coming off the board before FA even started.  His presence makes the team better...if he's not hurting their ability to add players, just keep him.

I'd release Kerley before Harvin.

But I'd agree, that the 4th round pick may be more valuable unless the Jets are preparing for big trade day moves to recoup.

I'd release Kerley before Harvin.

But I'd agree, that the 4th round pick may be more valuable unless the Jets are preparing for big trade day moves to recoup.

You can't release Kerley before June 1st, but harvin has to be cut before the end of March .

Not sure why there are so many pro harvin fans. To be fair he isnt a true wide reciever like marshall or decker. Secondly his cap hit is insane and he said he WONT restructure. Lastly i dont want to give up a pick. And please dont say a 4th rounder is nothing because we have seen players especially last year come out of the 4th round and do well

Not sure why there are so many pro harvin fans. To be fair he isnt a true wide reciever like marshall or decker. Secondly his cap hit is insane and he said he WONT restructure. Lastly i dont want to give up a pick. And please dont say a 4th rounder is nothing because we have seen players especially last year come out of the 4th round and do well

As a Harvin fan I can only speak for myself in saying I like the idea of having a player with elite speed who can create mismatches against safeties and nickel CB's to score touchdowns.

As a Harvin fan I can only speak for myself in saying I like the idea of having a player with elite speed who can create mismatches against safeties and nickel CB's to score touchdowns.

not at that price. He has talent but i dont think he makes a impact worth that price and pick. Seattle seemed perfectly fine letting him go

"Work to retain"??? The Jets have asked him to consider renegotiating, he refused. I don't understand this article. Either you're in favor of keeping him at $10.5 million or you're not, there's no other options here.

For me, I ask myself, is Harvin worth paying as the 3rd best receiver in the NFL? Helllllll no. Just bad business, and not the way to run a team.

"Work to retain"??? The Jets have asked him to consider renegotiating, he refused. I don't understand this article. Either you're in favor of keeping him at $10.5 million or you're not, there's no other options here.

For me, I ask myself, is Harvin worth paying as the 3rd best receiver in the NFL? Helllllll no. Just bad business, and not the way to run a team.

exactly. I havent gotten one solid reason to pay him that and give up a pick. The only one i heard is that theyre afraid he will sign with new england lol

It is not in Geno's best interest, or anyone else's including a brand new head coach for that matter...to have an overpaid, volatile, and divisive petulant child in the huddle, in the locker room, on the practice field, or in the meeting rooms.

It is not in Geno's best interest, or anyone else's including a brand new head coach for that matter...to have an overpaid, volatile, and divisive petulant child in the huddle, in the locker room, on the practice field, or in the meeting rooms.

Can you enlighten us all when that happened last season in Harvins time with the Jets

harvin is more of a gimmick player than a true wide out. Both marshall and decker are actual good recievers

harvin is more of a gimmick player than a true wide out. Both marshall and decker are actual good recievers

Yup.  And don't forget about having an underrated and reliable Kerley in the slot.  Good things for whoever is QB.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/4620/what-does-the-brandon-marshall-trade-mean-for-the-new-york-jets

Whether Marshall or Decker is the true number-one receiver next year really won’t really matter. If Marshall's down year was due to health, and if he can bounce back to being 100 percent, the Jets do, indeed, have two top-25 wide receivers on their team entering 2015. That can't hurt a struggling quarterback like Geno Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/49664/sunday-notes-can-the-jets-keep-brandon-marshall-happy

With Marshall (6-foot-4) and Decker (6-foot-3), the Jets will have one of the bigger starting tandems in the league. In 2014, only three teams had two 6-foot-3 receivers start at least 12 games -- the Bears (Marshall and Alshon Jeffery), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson) and the Arizona Cardinals (Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd).

Harvin definielty has talent, but is now an expensive luxury.  A luxury that hopefully we won't be able to afford if we fill other holes in FA.  $6mil sure.  $10.5, nope.  Let him walk.

Can you enlighten us all when that happened last season in Harvins time with the Jets

I'm sure Tannenbaum asked himself that very question before giving a huge deal to Santonio Holmes.

Another Madden junkie that cant see past the end of your nose.

There is no argument to keep an expensive, draft-pick-costing, injury prone, character-questionable WR on a rebuilding team that (now) has Marshall/Decker/Kerley.  

Put simply, we (long term and short) are better off drafting a WR with the 4th round pick we wouldn't lose, than to keep Harvin and his bag of risks and issues.

Without the loss of the 4th, maybe there is an argument.

With it, just no.  Desperate to have more WR's, fine, draft one.

Archived