Calvin Pryor

Jets723

I know fans hate him because he is an Idzik pick and didnt have a great rookie season.  But he is the one guy who i feel will have a huge bounce back year.  Last Year he was playing out of position with the worst secondary in the league.  Now we have upgraded our secodnary dramatically and will take pressure off the kid.  I also think despite the rough patches he has learned going through the process.  Again im not saying he is gonna be a beast bur i do expect him to bounce back in his second year

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im also interested in guys like mcdougle and evans.  Both were lost before the season so we never got a chance to see how they performes.  Like Milliner mcdougle has injury issues.  Evans has some trouble holding onto the ball which is a red flag but both still have talent and are young

Also Reilly and IK as pass rushers. I thought in pre-season IK was our best rushing playmaker at getting to the QB and blocking punts till he got hurt. Then Ryan never played him much till the end of the year and that part of our D improved even further with hime in there. We just had such atrocious CB play that we couldn't function the whole year and refs new they were bad and threw flags at every turn.

I know fans hate him because he is an Idzik pick and didnt have a great rookie season.  But he is the one guy who i feel will have a huge bounce back year.  Last Year he was playing out of position with the worst secondary in the league.  Now we have upgraded our secodnary dramatically and will take pressure off the kid.  I also think despite the rough patches he has learned going through the process.  Again im not saying he is gonna be a beast bur i do expect him to bounce back in his second year

It's also a Rex pick.  We have a lot of scouts but anytime we drafted a defensive player, especially early, Rex had to have been heavily involved in that decision.  A better secondary and a former DB as a coach should help Pryor improve his game.  He could be a wildcard on our team.

You draft a guy with a big hitting and blitzing rep and you try to make him a free safety.  That is just dumb.  We wasted a year on this guy, and might have damaged him for the future.

Did the same thing with Coples for years also, playing him out of position. I wonder how Jerry Hughes is gonna adapt to jamming guys at the line and covering wide receivers down the field up in Buffalo? 

The labeling of Pryor as a bust is beyond stupid.  Ryan should've been a good coach for him

but last year showed he was the worst coach for him.  From draft night Ryan:

- Gassed his head up by comparing him to Ed Reed

- Took him out of his comfort zone and played him out of position

- Never disciplined him, which led to the lateness issues we heard about

Bowles is a Parcells disciple who will not gas a player's head up and will not

tolerate lateness.  On top of that in ARZ Bowles showed he's not stubborn

and will not force a "square peg into a round hole"

Did the same thing with Coples for years also, playing him out of position. I wonder how Jerry Hughes is gonna adapt to jamming guys at the line and covering wide receivers down the field up in Buffalo? 

Ha ha.  Who is the strong safety up there?

My thinking is that the Jets are looking for a starter to take his place, which would take pressure off of Pryor to be a stud immediately, which allows for him to be developed like normal circumstances on a well-run team.

Im also interested in guys like mcdougle and evans.  Both were lost before the season so we never got a chance to see how they performes.  Like Milliner mcdougle has injury issues.  Evans has some trouble holding onto the ball which is a red flag but both still have talent and are young

This kid is going to be great if he can stay healthy.  

I still think he's bad, hopefully we can coach him to serviceable. It's interesting with Revis and Skrine, the Jets don't think much of Dougle or Miliner injured or not. To be honest I don't see Miliner making it back with the injury.

It's McDougle and watch your tongue.  Gonna be an all time great Jet when it's said and done.  Period.

My thinking is that the Jets are looking for a starter to take his place, which would take pressure off of Pryor to be a stud immediately, which allows for him to be developed like normal circumstances on a well-run team.

This board would make an awesome drinking game.  Everyone drinks every time somebody slips a small little shot at Rex.  LOL  So awesome.

This board would make an awesome drinking game.  Everyone drinks every time somebody slips a small little shot at Rex.  LOL  So awesome.

lol, this was a shot at all of them... Idzik too for drafting a guy that needed to step in as an instant-starter and couldn't. 

Years from now, we'll look back at the 2014 draft and see the Jets taking Pryor, when teams around them were loading up on perennial 1k yard receivers.

lol, this was a shot at all of them... Idzik too for drafting a guy that needed to step in as an instant-starter and couldn't. 

Years from now, we'll look back at the 2014 draft and see the Jets taking Pryor, when teams around them were loading up on perennial 1k yard receivers.

"The year of the wideout" for sure.  Incredible .

Let's face it, the team as a whole stunk last year. Bad play is contagious, so is quality play. We all see the potential he has and now that he has some veterans to look up to in the back field I expect top ten safety play out of him. These young players try to impress players like Revis more than they do the coaches.

Sometimes Sh1t always smells...it appears Calvin is in that category.... I can see Bowles cutting bait quickly and moving Dee to safety.

Milliner is a worse tackler than Cromartie.  Putting either of them at FS is not a very good idea.

IMO Pryor is fine and all the bust talk, out of position talk and the idea that Rex somehow harmed him are a joke.  He was a rookie.  He did not set the world on fire, but I think he did okay, especially when you consider the stiff CBs they had to backup.  I also don't know where the idea that Milliner is a bad tackler comes from.  He seems plenty good to me and most others IMO. 

IMO Pryor is fine and all the bust talk, out of position talk and the idea that Rex somehow harmed him are a joke.  He was a rookie.  He did not set the world on fire, but I think he did okay, especially when you consider the stiff CBs they had to backup.  I also don't know where the idea that Milliner is a bad tackler comes from.  He seems plenty good to me and most others IMO. 

DC Dennis Thurman is a former DB and the DB coach Tim McDonald is a 6 time pro bowl DB but of course it was Rex who harmed the poor guy.. I'm still mad at Rex for being the main cause of the rise of ISIS in the middle east and heart attacks in the US.. :winking0001:

Sometimes the comments I see from otherwise smart guys are embarrassing.  Yeah..  Rex didn't coach Pryor.  Intentionally played him out of position not because Idzik refused to give him DB's and the ones we did have got hurt, but because he wanted to destroy his career. 

Such incredibly stupid takes on Rex the last couple months.  Apparently TomSham is like David Koresh to you guys.

He was coached very poorly as evidenced by his failure to improve at any aspect of his game all season long.  Face it everyone... Rex and his coaching staff were absolutely abysmal at developing talent and using talent appropriately.  My biggest hope for the new Bowles-Mccagnan regime is that they invest maximum effort to developing young talent and using it appropriately.  Failure to do that was a major shortcoming of Rex's tenure, and frankly, it got worse each year.    Buffalo will decline a little each and every year just like the jets did under Rex.  Sucks for Bills fans and they have no idea what's coming.  Slow and steady declining performance over a span of several years.  

I hope it works out, cuz the kid DOES like to hit and his college tape was loaded with him blowing people up.

But this is the NFL, not Louisville. The most glaring mistakes from Pryor in 2014 were the awful angles he took. Hope Bowles can fix that by coaching him up and inserting him at SS.

He was coached very poorly as evidenced by his failure to improve at any aspect of his game all season long.  Face it everyone... Rex and his coaching staff were absolutely abysmal at developing talent and using talent appropriately.  My biggest hope for the new Bowles-Mccagnan regime is that they invest maximum effort to developing young talent and using it appropriately.  Failure to do that was a major shortcoming of Rex's tenure, and frankly, it got worse each year.    Buffalo will decline a little each and every year just like the jets did under Rex.  Sucks for Bills fans and they have no idea what's coming.  Slow and steady declining performance over a span of several years.  

Keep repeating it!  That makes it true!

The developing talent argument (a favorite of Shane's) might have some merit.  As for the alleged failure to use talent appropriately, what talent?  What player left the Jets and excelled elsewhere?  Mike DeVito and Pitoitua are two of the only guys that did anything off the Jets.  Rhodes and Lowery were bad fits and they got picks back, but they both pretty much sucked.  Lito Shepherd, Woody, Jenkins, Pouha, Scott, Brunell, retired.  Thomas Jones sucked. Leon Washington and Brad Smith?  Sanchez?  Holmes?  Braylon Edwards?  If Rex did such a poor job of utilizing talent, why haven't the Jets been raided by other teams?  The talent sucked.  Can you name one player outside of Danny Woodhead that has played better since he left the Jets?

Part of the problem stemmed from always grabbing vets and not leaving room for young guys to develop.  That is one thing I am worried about now.  The board is ready to sign Chandler, Cromartie and another FA guard.  If they do that, what spot is there for an up and coming player?

The day you are drafted being told you are the hammer and the 1st day of camp being told you are an amazing player does not harm a young guy?  One of Pryors big problems was he was trying to live up to his coaches hype and go for kill shots that you don't get away with in the pros.  Rex is very poor at keeping guys hungry. 

Make your team feel good about itself and invincible?  Great if you have a bunch of quality vets that have learned the game.  Making the comments he does about rookies or guys he has not even seen on the field hurts them, so yes imo he did hurt Pryor.

Sometimes the comments I see from otherwise smart guys are embarrassing.  Yeah..  Rex didn't coach Pryor.  Intentionally played him out of position not because Idzik refused to give him DB's and the ones we did have got hurt, but because he wanted to destroy his career. 

Such incredibly stupid takes on Rex the last couple months.  Apparently TomSham is like David Koresh to you guys.

Alright fine but what I don't understand is why you guys think Rex would intentionally sabotage his career by playing him out of position.

Archived