TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Miller's Crossing is another great one. Albert Finney and Gabriel Byrne have such a presence when they're on screen together, the whole thing is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Love Blood Simple too. It's hard to rank their stuff because they're all so great but so different. I wouldn't even know where to start if someone asked me to compare No Country to Barton Fink to Fargo to Oh Brother to Big Lebowski to A Serious Man to Llewyn Davis...etc. For me the Coens are more or less The Beatles, in the sense that whichever is your favorite work of theirs is going to come down mostly to personal taste. They're not like with Coppola or Ridley Scott, where you can narrow their stuff down to one or two movies and say that's definitely their best. Objectively speaking they've made about 7-8 films that are A+ levels of filmmaking.

As a fan I'd probably take Big Lebowski and A Serious Man. Maybe Fargo, I dunno. Like I said it's a tough one. 

To bring it full circle I think that's why I love Fargo the show so much. Though most of it is Hawley, it just feels like the Coens through and through in every episode. 

I was listening to Noah Hawley get interviewed on a  podcast and he was talking about how involved the Coen brothers are with the tv show and it turns out they really aren't at all.. he even said one of the Coen brothers jokingly said "Oh you're still doing that?" when he called them to talk about season 2. That just makes what he's doing all that more impressive. Fargo is my favorite movie, and he's really captured that vibe.

What is your opinion of Blood Simple?  I remember seeing that back when they were just becoming a thing and I think I remember it and Miller's Crossing better than all the one's I've seen repeatedly like Fargo and even Lebowski.  M. Emmet FTMFW!

Blood Simple is one of the Cohen bros. best movie - except for the fact that the release to vhs/dvd got altered from the original theatre release.

Fargo season 2 is the best show on television right now. Hands down.

Agreed. 2 others-Amazon's "Man in the High Castle" is intense. Through 3 episodes, really good. But it can be jarring and disturbing to see an America that is very different.

Through 2 episodes, "Spotless" is great. Having Brendan Coyle (Mr. Bates form "Downton Abbey") as a London mob boss is an excellent choice. Unassuming and  yet thoroughly menacing. 

Just finished the pilot for Jessica Jones. Really promising show. I'll knock out more over the weekend. I enjoyed the Daredevil pilot a bit more, but I think that has to do with my familiarity with the character

So?  is it any good?  heard that it's going to be a tie in with DareDevil and also introduce Luke Cage and Iron Fist?

So?  is it any good?  heard that it's going to be a tie in with DareDevil and also introduce Luke Cage and Iron Fist?

it is a really good show. Like I said, I enjoyed daredevil more because of my familiarity with the characters, but it was really good. As RJF said, loose tie in with Daredevil, no iron fist and Cage was a main character for the whole season. 

The second season of this HBO series just concluded the other night, and no one would take you to task for not knowing that as viewership has been low. What you could be taken to task for is not seeing one of the best written, well acted TV shows in recent memory. People like to say that a great singer could belt out the phone book and people would listen. Same goes for this show; the acting is just so strong you kind of forget about the main premise, that of an unexplained, worldwide, mass disappearance of 2% of the world's population. Do yourself a favor and give it a watch.

Edited by Jetworks

Looks like I need to try out Fargo after I finish, Jessica Jones.  Which is AWESOME!!!  Such a dark and creepy show.  Love it.

Yes on Jessica hell yes on Fargo.  Watch the movie Fargo, then watch season 1 and then you will be like no way season two can touch those.  BOOM!!!!  season two is a total and complete knock out.  Tremendous.

It's pretty good.  Yet just stop before the final episode.  LOL

If he doesn't like season 2 or 3 he should stop. Because every season after  gets worse and worse and than the series ends with maybe the worst finale in TV history.

NO!!!  No no no!

Maybe the worse?  Wow.  Crap.

Sheesh. So I'm gathering that the finale wasn't a hit? Just a hunch.

I did not mind the finale.  I thought the show plateaued around 4 or 5.  That is when I had your thought about season 3.  Seasons 7 and 8 have different plot twists, but really by then the show played out.

I'm not sure how you could make it worse. Seriously.  It was as if someone that never saw a single episode of Dexter wrote it on a napkin to win a contest.  I actually liked most of the show until that point.  That just made you feel like an idiot for watching all the episodes. 

I'm not sure how you could make it worse. Seriously.  It was as if someone that never saw a single episode of Dexter wrote it on a napkin to win a contest.  I actually liked most of the show until that point.  That just made you feel like an idiot for watching all the episodes. 

dbpmcxeqofmbz81wsbko.jpg

Never forget ;(

Edited by Tyler Durden
  • Upvote 1