TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

To each their own, but it came across a bit different from the Avengers formula.

Hmmm...well based on that I'll give it a shot I guess.

I can say the last 3 Marvel movies and 2 TV shows I've started I did not finish so I think I'm nearly sick of the whole thing.

If you say it's different though eh I can check out an episode at least.

I'll let you know what I think once I've watched it but it might not be before I finish Vikings which might be a week or two more.

• Upvote 1

Is this thread for movies too? I don't remember.

If it's not whatever but anyway I watched what I thought was a pretty good movie last night.

I was just flipping through Amazon and ended up watching a Tim Allen movie I'd never seen from I think 2010.

He spent 3 years in jail going down for his buddy who bootlegs DVDs from China and when he gets out his sister takes him in and..ah just watch the trailer if it doesn't seem funny to you from that then maybe it's not your type of movie.

16 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Hmmm...well based on that I'll give it a shot I guess.

I can say the last 3 Marvel movies and 2 TV shows I've started I did not finish so I think I'm nearly sick of the whole thing.

If you say it's different though eh I can check out an episode at least.

I'll let you know what I think once I've watched it but it might not be before I finish Vikings which might be a week or two more.

Yea, I’ve been relatively disinterested in the latest Marvel stuff too. 

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Nolder said:

Is this thread for movies too? I don't remember.

If it's not whatever but anyway I watched what I thought was a pretty good movie last night.

I was just flipping through Amazon and ended up watching a Tim Allen movie I'd never seen from I think 2010.

He spent 3 years in jail going down for his buddy who bootlegs DVDs from China and when he gets out his sister takes him in and..ah just watch the trailer if it doesn't seem funny to you from that then maybe it's not your type of movie.

Here's the movie thread if you're ever looking for it:

18 hours ago, Nolder said:

There was a point in season 5 where I was left wondering where the end was going and I was getting dissatisfied. Then the show shifted to end mode and, all I can say is I thought the ending was satisfying. Compared to so many shows with bad endings I would say this is a solid mid level show with a good ending. Easy 6/10. Is it the best show? Nope, but IMHO it's not a BAD show either.

As someone who is idk maybe half way done with Vikings after watching TLK this is crazy. Definitely watch Vikings. I haven't finished it but SO FAR it is a 10/10 show.

They did bring it home well but it was still just a little silly.  At times I felt like I was watching a video game.  But overall, it was a good series. I enjoyed it.  Season 2-4 were quite good. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2022 at 7:05 AM, munchmemory said:

Here's the movie thread if you're ever looking for it:

Thanks. I thought I saw it awhile back but wasn't sure. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

On 4/2/2022 at 12:13 PM, JiFapono said:

They did bring it home well but it was still just a little silly.  At times I felt like I was watching a video game.  But overall, it was a good series. I enjoyed it.  Season 2-4 were quite good. 

I'm sad to report Vikings has fallen to a 9.9/10 for me. I have one very small complaint. If it gets addressed before the series ends it'll bump back to a  full 10.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Nolder said:

Thanks. I thought I saw it awhile back but wasn't sure. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I'm sad to report Vikings has fallen to a 9.9/10 for me. I have one very small complaint. If it gets addressed before the series ends it'll bump back to a  full 10.

hahaha.  It drop a whole .01 on your scorecard?  lol  No need to apologize, you can hate the way it ends.  I'll still love it!  ;-)

Curious to know what, I know where you are at, so I think I could guess but dont want to just incase it's a spoiler for you.  

7 hours ago, JiFapono said:

hahaha.  It drop a whole .01 on your scorecard?  lol  No need to apologize, you can hate the way it ends.  I'll still love it!  ;-)

Curious to know what, I know where you are at, so I think I could guess but dont want to just incase it's a spoiler for you.  

My issue is with Floki's village. Seems like an unnecessary plot line to keep a fan favorite character around.

13 hours ago, Nolder said:

My issue is with Floki's village. Seems like an unnecessary plot line to keep a fan favorite character around.

Ah, got it.  I can see that perspective but at that point, how many fan favorites have they killed off?  lol  I'll just say this about that particular plot line because I can see where you might not see how it fits.  All I'll say is, I think Floki has symbolic representation moving forward and I will leave it at that until your done w/ the show.

7 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Ah, got it.  I can see that perspective but at that point, how many fan favorites have they killed off?  lol  I'll just say this about that particular plot line because I can see where you might not see how it fits.  All I'll say is, I think Floki has symbolic representation moving forward and I will leave it at that until your done w/ the show.

To keep spoilers light for anyone who might see these posts the last time I saw Floki he was in a cave. 

I think I'll probably finish the series by Thursday.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:12 PM, Integrity28 said:

Severance has been a slow burn. Very intrigued by it. Ben Stiller and Adam Scott being part of it humors me, s it’s so far afield from their comedic work. 

Only 3 episodes in, but thoroughly fascinated.

I was about to give up on it after Episode 3. Not that it was necessarily bad, just like you said, kinda slow burn but now I just really wanna know wtf is going on.

I'm on Ep. 5 and I'm def all in. I love how it's shot and the whole thing just has such a weird sci-fi/Kubrick vibe which I love. 

I finished Vikings.

It definitely landed at a 9.9/10 but for someone else the bone I had to pick might not even bother them.

Great ending, great series all the way through.

Might just be how I am but I guess I tend to gravitate towards anti heroes and redemption stories more as my two favorite characters were Rollo and Ivar. I liked almost every character on the show though no one was "the annoying character" or whatever like some shows.

@JiFapono

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nolder said:

I finished Vikings.

It definitely landed at a 9.9/10 but for someone else the bone I had to pick might not even bother them.

Great ending, great series all the way through.

Might just be how I am but I guess I tend to gravitate towards anti heroes and redemption stories more as my two favorite characters were Rollo and Ivar. I liked almost every character on the show though no one was "the annoying character" or whatever like some shows.

@JiFapono

Do you see what I mean about how they treat Floki and how he was more a symbolic presence then it was about his story arch?

Yeah, fantastic show.  Definitely one of my favorites.  Not a bad character, agreed.  Just very well done from start to finish.  I got a little worried when you know who was killed off, loved the death scene but I was worried about the story without him and in some ways, it got better. 

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Do you see what I mean about how they treat Floki and how he was more a symbolic presence then it was about his story arch?

Yeah. I think the whole thing still could have been scrapped and folded into the A storyline. Look the execution of what they chose to do wasn't bad or anything. It's actually a compliment anyway because I was so into what was going on at Kattegat and all of that I didn't want to spend screen time with Floki or the characters who ended up following after. I did enjoy the final scene with Floki on the shore though and as the boat builder I thought it was a nice send off to end with him.

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, fantastic show.  Definitely one of my favorites.  Not a bad character, agreed.  Just very well done from start to finish.  I got a little worried when you know who was killed off, loved the death scene but I was worried about the story without him and in some ways, it got better. 

Yeah I was briefly worried quality would drop off as well but the characters who picked up after were all pretty good. I wonder how realistic that death scene was. I've never heard of death by snake before. How many poisonous snakes are there in Britain anyway? Also they clearly had some big ass boas or pythons which are not poisonous but I'm not going to fault them for that since they look cool lol.

2 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Yeah. I think the whole thing still could have been scrapped and folded into the A storyline. Look the execution of what they chose to do wasn't bad or anything. It's actually a compliment anyway because I was so into what was going on at Kattegat and all of that I didn't want to spend screen time with Floki or the characters who ended up following after. I did enjoy the final scene with Floki on the shore though and as the boat builder I thought it was a nice send off to end with him.

Yeah I was briefly worried quality would drop off as well but the characters who picked up after were all pretty good. I wonder how realistic that death scene was. I've never heard of death by snake before. How many poisonous snakes are there in Britain anyway? Also they clearly had some big ass boas or pythons which are not poisonous but I'm not going to fault them for that since they look cool lol.

I see your point.  I personally like what they did with it because Floki wanted to create a new land and couldnt but instead discovered people who were living the life he wanted.  Which I thought was brilliant because it gives credit to the Vikings for voyaging to North America way before anyone else and how they respected the people of the land which we know how that turns out in the long run.  

The death scenes of the main characters were some of the best written scenes of the show  IMO.  A few were just absolutely brilliant ie; Ragnar, Ironside, Ivar, Oleg, Lagertha. Ecbert. Harald. All just brilliant.  Poetic.

My favorite character was Torvi.  She was just an incredible actress and that character was bad ass. 

37 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I see your point.  I personally like what they did with it because Floki wanted to create a new land and couldnt but instead discovered people who were living the life he wanted. Which I thought was brilliant because it gives credit to the Vikings for voyaging to North America way before anyone else and how they respected the people of the land which we know how that turns out in the long run.  

It was a nice nod to Vikings in North America but as far as I know we don't know much of anything how they might have interacted with any tribes they might have encountered while in North America. I don't think either people kept written accounts so it would be mostly speculation based on historical sites right? 

37 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The death scenes of the main characters were some of the best written scenes of the show  IMO.  A few were just absolutely brilliant ie; Ragnar, Ironside, Ivar, Oleg, Lagertha. Ecbert. Harald. All just brilliant.  Poetic.

My favorite character was Torvi.  She was just an incredible actress and that character was bad ass. 

Yeah each was given a unique send off really cool.

Torvi? I didn't dislike her but she was always sort of in the background for me as far as the females in the cast. I liked Helga, Siggy, Lagertha, Judith, and Gundhild mainly. 

9 hours ago, Nolder said:

Now moving on to Vikings Valhalla. 

After a couple episodes I changed my mind.

Vikings was really good and this show...honestly it's just striking me as a bit of a cash grab due to the popularity of the original.

I'm not enjoying it and instead of forcing myself through the entire season (let alone the entire series, I hear they already ordered 2 more) I'm just going to drop it now.

I don't want it to leave a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to Vikings and I have other things to watch anyway.

Maybe I'll come back to it when I have less things I want to watch and it has a few more seasons under it's belt but for now I'm bailing. 

6 hours ago, Nolder said:

After a couple episodes I changed my mind.

Vikings was really good and this show...honestly it's just striking me as a bit of a cash grab due to the popularity of the original.

I'm not enjoying it and instead of forcing myself through the entire season (let alone the entire series, I hear they already ordered 2 more) I'm just going to drop it now.

I don't want it to leave a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to Vikings and I have other things to watch anyway.

Maybe I'll come back to it when I have less things I want to watch and it has a few more seasons under it's belt but for now I'm bailing. 

I enjoyed it thoroughly but I saw Valhalla before I saw Vikings.  Not sure if I'd feel the same way as you if I watched in reverse but you also now have the entire perspective/vantage point of seeing all of Vikings and comparing it 1 season of Valhalla.  If I only gave TLK one season, it would rate it a 3 out of 10.  But season 2-4 were great. 

I'm also fascinated by Leif Erickson as a historical figure, so there is that element of intrigue to Valhalla.  I assume it's his story arch now, which is awesome, IMO.  Side note to my interest; my best friend is an Erickson, named his kid Leif.  lol  

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I enjoyed it thoroughly but I saw Valhalla before I saw Vikings.  Not sure if I'd feel the same way as you if I watched in reverse but you also now have the entire perspective/vantage point of seeing all of Vikings and comparing it 1 season of Valhalla.  If I only gave TLK one season, it would rate it a 3 out of 10.  But season 2-4 were great. 

That's fair. Season 1 is usually the weakest of any show.

I think if I come back I'm still going to wait for season 2 to come out.

Maybe I just need a break from the setting I don't know.

Thinking I might watch Bosch on Amazon.

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I'm also fascinated by Leif Erickson as a historical figure, so there is that element of intrigue to Valhalla.  I assume it's his story arch now, which is awesome, IMO.  Side note to my interest; my best friend is an Erickson, named his kid Leif.  lol  

My knowledge of Viking folklore and mythology is my weakest. I probably know more about Ancient Egypt than I do about the Norse. It's embarrassing really considering how much I do like this stuff. I say all that to say I don't know the story of Leif Erickson just like I didn't know about Ragnar and his sons. I have heard of Erik the Red but I don't know what he did that was significant. 

Nothing against your friend but I'm not really a fan when people name their kids something far out of the norm. Knew a girl in middle school named Stormi Knight. It's a cool name if you're reading a book but in real life calling someone Stormi or Leif in the USA is kind of weird. 

Blew through season 1 of Bosch yesterday. Great show so far, nice buddy cop thing going on between Bosch and his partner J. Edgar. If there was one thing I'd like to see more of from the show it's a bit more fort time. The series starts with Bosch in some legal trouble but outside that it's all detective work. Which is fine, I love that sh*t, but I love courtroom drama too. Anyway when I finish season 2 I'll report back.