TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

So we finished season 2 of Ted Lasso. The first season was 10 episodes, season 2 was 12 episodes. There will be a season 3 sometime in 2022, I read they will start shooting in in Feb. and start releasing episodes maybe in June. I thought season 2 they were trying to go places with some of the characters get into them more deeply and sometimes people you didn't like at the start maybe the writers went with the flow and changed their direction. For example my daughter asked me my favorite character in the show when we started watching it and I said Nathan her's was Roy Kent. After two seasons I see what she was talking about. The strangest episode was episode 9 Beard After Hours. Which followed Coach Beard after the team lost a big game in the Semi Finals. I'm not sure if it was real or all a figment of his imagination and about his aversion and fear of lasting relationships with women. btw the actor who plays Beard is one of the key writers along with the actors who play Ted Lasso and Roy Kent. The origins of Ted Lasso go back about 8 years when Jason Sudeikis played a version of the character in an NBC commercial for their telecasts of English soccer. 

I'm three episodes in on the HBO Max series, Station 11.    I never read Emily St. John Mandel's novel.  So not sure if the novel plays out the same way as the show's impressive non-linear approach to storytelling.    

So far, the show and acting have been exceptional.  It's one of those series that seems to get better as the episodes progress and more of the story unfolds.  9/10

Now, The Witcher on the other hand is about 60% interesting so far...but the interesting parts are so good,  it's worth it.

I don't care about Yen. I don't care about Nilfgard or the Mages. Make the show focus 90% on Geralt, and it'll be huge. 
Season Ep 1 had one if the best Vanpire stories I've seen in a million years and was done perfectly. 

And then they switch to ladies arguing and drama. Stop!

Geralt. He's the Witcher. Focus on him!!  
Problem is that Cavill has not brought anything beyond the video game to the role .. his monotone delivery is overkill. Best character was the bard.

I kept watching for the sexy women and funny sidekicks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Late to the game, I know, but Peaky Blinders, holy hell. Caught a few episodes that the girlfriend was watching and there's only a few times when I've seen a show from the get-go and knew that I was watching something special. Sopranos, The Wire, GOTs, now this.

Welcome aboard.  It's going to be a wild ride.  Season six to premiere soon.

Incredible cast led by Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby and Helen McCrory as Polly.  Top notch writing as well.

On 12/31/2021 at 11:10 AM, Dunnie said:

Dexter New.Blood is not bad .. a bit of a shadow of the original .. but still pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I would give the season a solid B. 

I think if you liked the early Dexter seasons, this season reminded you of why you loved the Dexter character and story lines.  I personally hate 10 episode seasons of shows.  If you are telling season's progression from A to Z, inevitably a story plot is going to have to jump from H to M with only 10 episodes.  I think there were a few such plots in the New Blood series where this happens. 

You mean you could not squeeze 16 episodes and do something similar to Ozark and split up the final season?  

Again, solid B.

• Upvote 1

Have you ever started a miniseries that by episode 2 you realized how bad it was but you needed to watch it till the end to see what happened?

Stay Close. British crime version of a Harlan Coben book. And we love British crime, have seen some great ones the last 2-3 years. Was number 1-2 on Netflix so we gave it a try. 

Stuck it out till the end. 

Awful. Like LOLWorthy awful.

Prove me wrong. 

Finished HBO's Station 11 last night.   Overall, loved the series and its non-linear storytelling.   However, did not think the series finale was worthy of the other episodes.  Just did not have the emotional impact I as expecting.   A bit dull, left a few stories unresolved, and with a heavy-handed vanity vocal piece.

IMO, the show is worth a watch.  Stand out acting from Himesh Patel as Jeevan, David Wilmot as Clark, Matilda Lawler as young Kirsten, Danielle Deadwyler as Miranda, and Gael Garcia Bernal as Arthur in somewhat of a cameo role.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:47 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Just watched the first episode of 1883. It’s exactly what you’d expect out of a CMT show. Still, I enjoyed it.

My first impression was that it’d be pandering to the “my guns, my freedom” crowd… however, there is some really good, subtle writing that goes way deeper.

The impact of smallpox and cholera in the midst of a pandemic.

Loss, love, suicide and mental health.

Sam Elliot wakes from his nightmares. The black Pinkerton (I know, I can’t remember his name) goes to sleep to get away from his. Poignant juxtaposition.

European immigrants chasing the American dream only to realize there’s no real place for them here.

There are several threads around freedom being a farce. In particular the black Pinkerton talking to the gypsy girl about how “they” will tell you who you can live snd who you cannot. Most recent episode has Faith Hill echoing the limitations of freedom.

I don’t think it matters where we sit politically. This show is an aesthetically beautiful take on the American condition.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

My first impression was that it’d be pandering to the “my guns, my freedom” crowd… however, there is some really good, subtle writing that goes way deeper.

The impact of smallpox and cholera in the midst of a pandemic.

Loss, love, suicide and mental health.

Sam Elliot wakes from his nightmares. The black Pinkerton (I know, I can’t remember his name) goes to sleep to get away from his. Poignant juxtaposition.

European immigrants chasing the American dream only to realize there’s no real place for them here.

There are several threads around freedom being a farce. In particular the black Pinkerton talking to the gypsy girl about how “they” will tell you who you can live snd who you cannot. Most recent episode has Faith Hill echoing the limitations of freedom.

I don’t think it matters where we sit politically. This show is an aesthetically beautiful take on the American condition.

Haven’t seen episode 5 yet, but so far it’s been great. For a show that spent most of its advertisements on CMT catering to a very specific crowd, it’s been refreshing to see it push the boundaries a bit and be as progressive as it’s been without being about left and right.

Some of the aerial and panoramic shots are absolutely breathtaking.

I do wish to see it start getting back to the opening scene of the series, but I love a slow burn, so I’m also ok with what they’re putting out because it is damn good.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Haven’t seen episode 5 yet, but so far it’s been great. For a show that spent most of its advertisements on CMT catering to a very specific crowd, it’s been refreshing to see it push the boundaries a bit and be as progressive as it’s been without being about left and right.

Some of the aerial and panoramic shots are absolutely breathtaking.

I do wish to see it start getting back to the opening scene of the series, but I love a slow burn, so I’m also ok with what they’re putting out because it is damn good.

Perfectly stated.

The actress playing Elsa cannot be in-screen enough for me.

Any Ray Donovan fans?  I've been a huge fan since it began.  We just streamed the the final episode (a 1:40 minute 'movie').  For any die-hard RD fan, it is a must watch. With brilliant acting by that outstanding cast as always.  It was a great ending for this series and had one huge unexpected surprise that makes a lot of things make sense. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Any Ray Donovan fans?  I've been a huge fan since it began.  We just streamed the the final episode (a 1:40 minute 'movie').  For any die-hard RD fan, it is a must watch. With brilliant acting by that outstanding cast as always.  It was a great ending for this series and had one huge unexpected surprise that makes a lot of things make sense. 

I kind of feel like it's a show we would absolutely have loved but we missed the boat when it started and I don't think we can start it up now. Too many seasons.  

Do you need to watch the series to watch the "movie"? 

31 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I kind of feel like it's a show we would absolutely have loved but we missed the boat when it started and I don't think we can start it up now. Too many seasons.  

Do you need to watch the series to watch the "movie"? 

Absolutely.  And season #1 was good but not great.  Season 2 and beyond were great.    The movie  will make no sense at all unless you've watched almost all of it.  it was made for the irate fans who practically threatened felonies against Showtime for leaving it hanging before cancellation after 7 years. .  This is one series where the character development (Eddie Marsan especially) is key to becoming attached.  

On 1/3/2022 at 1:28 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Update on The Witcher season 2:

Love it. Total guilty pleasure but really enjoying this season.  Anya as Yennifer has even grown on me and Jaskier is over the top but funny as hell.

Witcher 2 was just interesting enough to get me to finish the season, but some of the actors were really mailing it in this season. 

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:40 AM, Integrity28 said:

The Boba Fett show is pretty awful. Very disappointing. Not managing the dual timelines well. Nothing really interesting being done. Aesthetics are great. Story and acting are booty.

I agree. The actor playing Boba Fett shouldn't be leading the series and the attempt to rehabilitate the character in this show is boring. 

On 1/16/2022 at 6:40 AM, Integrity28 said:

The Boba Fett show is pretty awful. Very disappointing. Not managing the dual timelines well. Nothing really interesting being done. Aesthetics are great. Story and acting are booty.

I’ve never even understood the appeal.

He was barely even a character in the original trilogy. Guy had like 3 lines and gets his ass kicked by Luke with no effort.

But people thought the armor was cool so they’ve created a whole backstory.

I lost all interest in watching as soon as I saw the pic online of everyone riding pink and purple Vespa scooters.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He was barely even a character in the original trilogy. Guy had like 3 lines and gets his ass kicked by Luke with no effort.

I lost all interest in watching as soon as I saw the pic online of everyone riding pink and purple Vespa scooters.

The Vespa scooters thing lost me as an audience. New episodes drop and I’m ?‍♂️

Boba Fett’s mystique and the coolness of the action figure is what made him a favorite. Now? He’s unmasked. The “how did he survive” question from a fan standpoint was hand-waved in order to get to the goody crap.

My take? Robert Rodriguez sucks.

Favreau is friends with him though, so he was the choice to direct. 

He gets WAY more credit than he deserves. Watch Favreau’s Chef Show when they go to his house and cook pizza. The guys is a tool. This entire Boba Fett show is dripping with Jar Jar Binks vibes.

• Upvote 1

Haven't watched a second of the Bubba Fett show, but the thing that made Boba Fett "cool" (when I was 12 years old) was he was mysterious and looked like a badass. That was it. Oh, and Jeremy Bullocks gravelly,  dead pan delivery.

And he was supposed to be a scumbag bounty hunter. Even Vader had to tell him, "No disintegrations". LOL.

Some 60 year old dad bod kiwi getting one uped by Ming-Na Wen and playing "Disney Boba Fett" has no interest to me. 

Should have been a Kurasawa inspired revenge tale of a dark Ronin.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Boba Fett was awesome because you had to collect proof of purchase seals from the back of Star Wars toys and mail them in to get him.  

The original had a shooting torpedo out of his back and even though I sent mine in immediately, those bastards still sent me the one that was glued in. 

I'm sorry, but Star Wars stopped being cool around 1985. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Haven't watched a second of the Bubba Fett show, but the thing that made Boba Fett "cool" (when I was 12 years old) was he was mysterious and looked like a badass. That was it. Oh, and Jeremy Bullocks gravelly,  dead pan delivery.

And he was supposed to be a scumbag bounty hunter. Even Vader had to tell him, "No disintegrations". LOL.

Some 60 year old dad bod kiwi getting one uped by Ming-Na Wen and playing "Disney Boba Fett" has no interest to me. 

Should have been a Kurasawa inspired revenge tale of a dark Ronin.

This I jive with. Except the word kiwi. I don’t understand that part. Like at all. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Boba Fett was awesome because you had to collect proof of purchase seals from the back of Star Wars toys and mail them in to get him.  

The original had a shooting torpedo out of his back and even though I sent mine in immediately, those bastards still sent me the one that was glued in. 

I'm sorry, but Star Wars stopped being cool around 1985. 

Yup. Watch ‘the toys that made us’ on Netflix. The Star Wars and gi joe episodes are dope