TV Series (Opinions, Recommendations, Flaming, etc) ***BEWARE POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

On 2/23/2022 at 8:16 AM, munchmemory said:

Started Inventing Anna on Netflix last night.  After two episodes of this limited series, it's very entertaining.  Based on the real life Anna Sorokin, who posed as an heiress (Anna Delvey) and succeeded in swindling rich socialites into paying for her extravagances.  Ozark's Julia Garner stars as Anna.

Me too... enjoyable but NOT over whelming.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Me too... enjoyable but NOT over whelming.

One episode to go.  Other than tightening up some of the story here and there, I really like the series.   Julia Garner and Anna Chlumsky are both great in their roles.  Love watching how all these elitist dopes got taken to the cleaners.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

One episode to go.  Other than tightening up some of the story here and there, I really like the series.   Julia Garner and Anna Chlumsky are both great in their roles.  Love watching how all these elitist dopes got taken to the cleaners.

hey no spoilers yet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Race on Netflix is pretty fantastic. The in-depth look at Wallace is intriguing but holy crap the breakdown of all the little intricacies of a NASCAR race in each episode is masterful.

After watching the Formula One series on Netflilx, I tried watching the sport and I just had a hard time getting into it (I realize Race is about Nascar). 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Was this news in NYC when it happened???  I never heard of this or her before…..

Race on Netflix is pretty fantastic. The in-depth look at Wallace is intriguing but holy crap the breakdown of all the little intricacies of a NASCAR race in each episode is masterful.

The intricacies of NASCAR ?. “Turn the wheel left son, ok a little more left, now straighten out…. And now you really gotta pay attention, this is what separates the men from the boys, turn a little left again son.”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, Integrity28 said:

McGraw has been great. Cold blooded like he’s right outta Tombstone. 

The daughter, Elsa, is an absolute doll. Fascinating to watch. Sam Elliott and his fellow Pinkerton are great. The plot context is so simple, and allows the character development to flourish. 

The gypsy widow is gorgeous too… reminds me of Kelly LeBrock with that hair/face.

Finally saw the last two episodes. Really enjoyed the entire season. Some episodes were obviously better than others, but there wasn't a single bad episode all season. 

Sam Elliot was awesome throughout. Tim McGraw was great in most of his role, but you can clearly see his acting limitations when it came to the 2-3 emotional scenes he had over the course of the season. 

The cinematography was absolutely beautiful throughout. It added so much to the story that it almost washed out some of the logical inconsistencies of the final 2-3 episodes when they were clearly rushing to the finish line.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, JiFapono said:

Yellowstone - wife and I started it up based on everyone raving about how good it is and I'm sorry, it's a HUGE steaming pile of sh*t.  We're about 8 episodes deep and we're done.  We kept watching, hoping it would get better and it just never does, even the somewhat intriguing cliff hangers, are let total downs.  The acting is absolutely horrendous.  Like, legit, some of the worst I've ever seen on a show that has gone on this long.  It's boring, it's all over the place and quite frankly, stupid.

Really dont understand the hype.

Haven't seen it, but based on what I've read it looks good. Either way, I'd suggest 1883. By all accounts, even though it's a prequel, it's very different. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, JiFapono said:

Yellowstone - wife and I started it up based on everyone raving about how good it is and I'm sorry, it's a HUGE steaming pile of sh*t.  We're about 8 episodes deep and we're done.  We kept watching, hoping it would get better and it just never does, even the somewhat intriguing cliff hangers, are let total downs.  The acting is absolutely horrendous.  Like, legit, some of the worst I've ever seen on a show that has gone on this long.  It's boring, it's all over the place and quite frankly, stupid.

Really dont understand the hype.

Felt the same.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Finally saw the last two episodes. Really enjoyed the entire season. Some episodes were obviously better than others, but there wasn't a single bad episode all season. 

Sam Elliot was awesome throughout. Tim McGraw was great in most of his role, but you can clearly see his acting limitations when it came to the 2-3 emotional scenes he had over the course of the season. 

The cinematography was absolutely beautiful throughout. It added so much to the story that it almost washed out some of the logical inconsistencies of the final 2-3 episodes when they were clearly rushing to the finish line.

Haven't seen it, but based on what I've read it looks good. Either way, I'd suggest 1883. By all accounts, even though it's a prequel, it's very different. 

Totally different. My hypothesis is that having 1 story arc in 1 season to tell it, benefited the writing. This is usually the case with shows like Fargo, etc

On 3/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, JiFapono said:

Vikings: Valhalla - omg is it good, like, holy sh*t is it good 

20 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I just started the original Vikings last week, and this popped up as a new series this week. I gotta find time to watch it all!

So I can't keep track.. is this a NEW Viking series or did Netflix buy the series that was on Discovery a while back. THAT series was fukking awesome.  

For various reasons, very rarely do I follow a show in real time. Off the top of my head, I can think of maybe 7-10 shows over the last 15 years that I kept up with on the actual premier dates. Sometimes it's because I don't have access to the show until it hits one of the major streaming platforms. Lots of times it's because I simply wasn't aware that it was something I should/would care about. Generally though, it's a simple case of just not having the time or desire to commit.

Other than 1883 over the last few months, the only other shows I've watched in real-time over the last 4-5 years are Better Call Saul and The Boys. I just found out that both of them are finally coming back with new episodes starting April, after almost a 2 year absence. Although I absolutely cannot wait, I have no idea how on earth I'm going to manage. Serious first world problems over here.

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, maury77 said:

After watching the Formula One series on Netflilx, I tried watching the sport and I just had a hard time getting into it (I realize Race is about Nascar). 

I was planning on trying to follow F-1 this year too after watching the series.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2022 at 8:16 AM, munchmemory said:

Started Inventing Anna on Netflix last night.  After two episodes of this limited series, it's very entertaining.  Based on the real life Anna Sorokin, who posed as an heiress (Anna Delvey) and succeeded in swindling rich socialites into paying for her extravagances.  Ozark's Julia Garner stars as Anna.

I just finished episode 6 of Anna. It’s pretty good so far. It’s crazy how so many people can be fooled. Kind of similar to catch me if you can 

• Upvote 1

If you're a fan of Julian Fellowes-style period pieces (Downton Abbey, Gosford Park, etc.) and "football", you will enjoy The English Game on Netflix.  Based on real life events (as well as two of the game's early stars) which led to modern day soccer.  It's a quick six episode limited series.

Watched The Tourist on HBOmax.  Someone called it an Aussie Fargo, which I think is a good analogy.  Finished it in a couple of days.  I'll say this, if you're not hooked after the first episode, don't bother.  I do think most will bother though.

Waiting on the the next season of The Flight Attendant.  I remember some here not caring for it last year(or so).  I thought it was great, so to each his own. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

I just started the original Vikings last week, and this popped up as a new series this week. I gotta find time to watch it all!

I just started the original Vikings because I liked Valhalla so much and I’m 5 episodes in and it’s fantastic too!

On 3/2/2022 at 11:11 AM, southparkcpa said:

So I can't keep track.. is this a NEW Viking series or did Netflix buy the series that was on Discovery a while back. THAT series was fukking awesome.  

I thought this whole time is was a sequel done 100 years later but apparently not, totally separate stories and writers.  I’ve enjoyed both! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Inventing Anna was ok.  Nothing overwhelming but still a pretty crazy story, Julia Garner is just an total superstar actress.  I really look forward to watching her career take off from this and Ozark.  She’s incredible. 

Overall, I enjoyed the series.  But there was just something off about it.   Some very uneven moments in the storytelling and acting throughout.   The actresses who played Anna's friends Neff, and in particular Rachel, were awful.  Also, Arian Moayed, who is good as Stewie in Succession, was a disaster as Anna's lawyer, Todd. 

I did not click with Ozark at all.  But agree that Julia Garner is an exceptional actress and the best part of Inventing Anna.  She's adorable, too.

• Upvote 1

Two episodes into The Tourist on HBO Max.   Not great, but enough going on for me to keep watching just to see where this story winds up. Stars dreamboat Jamie Dornan of 50 Shades and Belfast fame and an actress I've never heard of before, Shalom Brune-Franklin, who even dressed down for Australia's Outback, is absolutely stunning.

0e7e9d566fdab4ed5543678959925eb10a57c7e2

On 3/11/2022 at 8:16 AM, munchmemory said:

Overall, I enjoyed the series.  But there was just something off about it.   Some very uneven moments in the storytelling and acting throughout.   The actresses who played Anna's friends Neff, and in particular Rachel, were awful.  Also, Arian Moayed, who is good as Stewie in Succession, was a disaster as Anna's lawyer, Todd. 

I did not click with Ozark at all.  But agree that Julia Garner is an exceptional actress and the best part of Inventing Anna.  She's adorable, too.

Just finished it, and I agree something was missing.  I don't know enough about the real story, but the way Anna was portrayed, she was not particularly clever, not particularly likeable, not paricularly attractive.  She just convinced people she was wealthy with an aggressive attitude of superiority and some presumably birght, very successful people fell for it.  I find it hard to believe that some of these successful people were the suckers they were portrayed to be.   Just seems like there has to be more to what Anna did than what was portrayed in the movie. 

Something seemed off as you say.  But what do I know.  Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, JiFapono said:

Vikings: Valhalla - omg is it good, like, holy sh*t is it good 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:46 AM, Integrity28 said:

This is in my queue. 

On 3/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

The Last Kingdom just ended. What a great show. I tried to get into Vikings,  but I couldn't take it seriously. It was trying so hard,  but I just found it silly. 

I guess we all need to enjoy 10th Century Britain in our own way. ? 

Destiny Is All!

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Last Kingdom just ended. What a great show. I tried to get into Vikings,  but I couldn't take it seriously. It was trying so hard,  but I just found it silly. 

I guess we all need to enjoy 10th Century Britain in our own way. ? 

Destiny Is All!

I dont know what "trying so hard" means, seems like most shows that are historical time pieces, try hard to depict the period.  lol  I'm heading into the final season and it's fantastic, just really well done.  One of the better shows I've watched, honestly.  Shocked it took me so long to get around to it but glad I did.  

The Last Kingdom was recommended to me by the person who recommended Vikings, so that's next but yeah, that story of Ragnar Lothbrok and the Sons of Ragnar is awesome, plain and simple.  What a great story.  Happy I committed to it, it's been a fun ride!

On 3/11/2022 at 3:34 AM, JiFapono said:

I just started the original Vikings because I liked Valhalla so much and I’m 5 episodes in and it’s fantastic too!

I was thinking of starting this series because Valhalla looked interesting (haven't seen either).

How would you compare it to Last Kingdom?