Jets being contacted for Wilkerson

prime21

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to think about.....

Revis, Cro, Skrine, Gilchrist, Pryor back to SS, the possible return of McDougle & Milliner.

The reconstruction of the secondary is going to make the front 7 even stronger by getting opposing QBs to hold onto the ball for just one second longer than last year.

Bottom line is that the Jets brass won't even consider trading Mo unless it lands them a QB or multiple draft picks that can help the offense. A kings ransom easily makes him expendable.

I wouldn't object acquiring Glennon either ... I'm a believer in Glennon.

And we wouldn't have to pay the same price as acquiring rivers.

If I had to choose either scenario id take rivers last few years in a heartbeat.

Exactly. On top of the fact that you can get a guy who would want to play for your team in Glennon than a guy who would dread playing in your market in Rivers. 

I'd rather take my chances on the young guy. Watching his game, everything he needs the Jet have. Rivers is a very good QB, but I just have never seen the Chargers win a game that they had to win. 

You don't trade a know talent like Mo Wilk without getting a know talent at a desperate need position like say for the Jets an established QB, and the only one that seems available is Rivers, and I hate Rivers, and will be extremely pissed if we get Rivers period, guy is a complete douche, and isn't as good as people think.

Rivers gives us 3-4 years of SB contention, IMO. That trumps all. You wouldn't give up Mo for 3-4 years of SB contention?

Of Course!

Rivers is a f*cking STUD! He'd be the best QB the Jets have had since Namath! I can not even believe we have fans that think keeping Mo Wilkerson is more important over the next 4 years than having Rivers throwing to Decker, Marshall, Kerley, Amaro and handing off to Ivory & Ridley, lmao!

Plus the Jets could add a player like Phillip Dorset in the 2nd round.

Could you imagine being able to force a team like the Patriots to have to score over 30 points to beat you?

Nothing is "set in stone" in April. Mo Wilkerson is a Jet, but that can surely change Thursday night right? 

Also, the Bucs need a starting DE more than they need Glennon to back up Winston. When you're in the Bucs shoes its hard to pass up on a top 3 3-4 DE/top 10 all around DE in the game. Mo Wilkerson will fill a huge need for them in both the run and passing game. You dont decline that because you made a decision to have a guy back up a player that you havent even drafted yet. 

top 10 all around DE ?

lets just keep him

except Mo isn't an All Pro...

I agree he's not even a Pro Bowler just a really good player at this point who said last year he would never hold out. Well so far the team activity isn't mandatory so lets see what happens after Thursday to see if he's still the Jets problem or if he stays and gets a new contract..

Of Course!

Rivers is a f*cking STUD! He'd be the best QB the Jets have had since Namath! I can not even believe we have fans that think keeping Mo Wilkerson is more important over the next 4 years than having Rivers throwing to Decker, Marshall, Kerley, Amaro and handing off to Ivory & Ridley, lmao!

Plus the Jets could add a player like Phillip Dorset in the 2nd round.

Could you imagine being able to force a team like the Patriots to have to score over 30 points to beat you?

I like the sound of this....... Not sure how factual it is but You have my attention.

Rivers isn't coming to the Jets in a deal for Wilkerson.

Mariota isn't falling to #6 where this would become a reasonable idea to pursue with the Chargers, as they are not trading Rivers without receiving a draft pick in return that would net them Mariota.  If Mariota does fall to #6, then Wilkerson wouldn't even be a part of that trade anyway, as it would be the Chargers having to sweeten the pot to move from wherever they're drafting up to #6, not the Jets having to sweeten it by adding a player like Wilkerson.  

Rivers isn't coming to the Jets in a deal for Wilkerson.

Mariota isn't falling to #6 where this would become a reasonable idea to pursue with the Chargers, as they are not trading Rivers without receiving a draft pick in return that would net them Mariota.  If Mariota does fall to #6, then Wilkerson wouldn't even be a part of that trade anyway, as it would be the Chargers having to sweeten the pot to move from wherever they're drafting up to #6, not the Jets having to sweeten it by adding a player like Wilkerson.  

The Chargers aren't giving up Rivers so they can draft Mariota. That's a Tennessee Titan fanboi wet dream. And if the Titans don't take Mariota for themselves, it's very possible that he drops to six.

The Chargers aren't giving up Rivers so they can draft Mariota. That's a Tennessee Titan fanboi wet dream. And if the Titans don't take Mariota for themselves, it's very possible that he drops to six.

That's the only way that Rivers becomes a Jet, because unlike what is being discussed here, the Chargers aren't going to trade Rivers to the Jets for Wilkerson.  You don't give up a franchise QB in a trade without getting at least the opportunity to draft his replacement in return.

That's the only way that Rivers becomes a Jet, because unlike what is being discussed here, the Chargers aren't going to trade Rivers to the Jets for Wilkerson.  You don't give up a franchise QB in a trade without getting at least the opportunity to draft his replacement in return.

Yeah, but you generally don't trade franchise QBs in the first place. Agreed that the Chargers are an unlikely landing spot for Mo anyway, and especially not at the cost of Rivers.

or somebody trades up for him.

The Eagles are the only team coming up for Mariota, and I think the Jets are going to be the team that gets the deal done at a price that Chip can handle. It's all in my upcoming mock draft.

Would agree. The kid didnt huddle or call plays in college. I dont get it...Unless he goes 2 or 3 he's dropping.

Would agree. The kid didnt huddle or call plays in college. I dont get it...Unless he goes 2 or 3 he's dropping.

Even his most ardent admirers in the draft media (Mayock, Josh Norris) admit that he's a long-term project. What coach or even GM wants to trade multiple draft choices for the rights to a QB who you get to develop for the next regime? It's silly. With every team in the top 6 supposedly looking to deal out, it's not a huge mystery to figure out where all of these "Team X is DYING to draft Mariota!" rumors are coming from.  

Even his most ardent admirers in the draft media (Mayock, Josh Norris) admit that he's a long-term project. What coach or even GM wants to trade multiple draft choices for the rights to a QB who you get to develop for the next regime? It's silly. With every team in the top 6 supposedly looking to deal out, it's not a huge mystery to figure out where all of these "Team X is DYING to draft Mariota!" rumors are coming from.  

The only systems Mariotta could be remotely successful in immediately are Seattle and Philly. He fumbled like 30+ times in college...he's gotta fall right?

This.  The Jets will never get better if they keep trading away their good players.

You don't overpay merely good players. Wilkerson wants to be paid Suh/Watt money, and he isn't ever going to merit that.While the Jets have a good cap situation right now, they won't for long overvaluing their talent. Overpaying Wilkerson would be just that. 

The only systems Mariotta could be remotely successful in immediately are Seattle and Philly. He fumbled like 30+ times in college...he's gotta fall right?

The flip side is that many teams are really stupid and do things like draft Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert in the first round. If you get the chance, check out the second Matt Waldman video he does on Mariota (where he's joined by the QB coach). Almost every play shows Mariota doing sh*tty things that he basically needs to unlearn before he can be an NFL player. Jump passes, no use of his legs in throws, a disjointed motion that causes him to miss high a lot, and ball placement that will result in a mass CTE lawsuit being filed against him personally by his receivers. Every so often he's able to put together a play that looks like an NFL QB play, but far more often he catches the shotgun snap, runs a few steps to his right, hops, and just throws it as hard as he can to the the hashes. It's really an all-encompassing murder by Waldman and the dude.

You don't overpay merely good players. Wilkerson wants to be paid Suh/Watt money, and he isn't ever going to merit that.While the Jets have a good cap situation right now, they won't for long overvaluing their talent. Overpaying Wilkerson would be just that.

Everybody gets overpaid. That's the nature of FA.

The NFL cap goes up significantly every year so your argument, while valid 10 years ago, doesn't fly with today's cap.

The flip side is that many teams are really stupid and do things like draft Christian Ponder and Blaine Gabbert in the first round. If you get the chance, check out the second Matt Waldman video he does on Mariota (where he's joined by the QB coach). Almost every play shows Mariota doing sh*tty things that he basically needs to unlearn before he can be an NFL player. Jump passes, no use of his legs in throws, a disjointed motion that causes him to miss high a lot, and ball placement that will result in a mass CTE lawsuit being filed against him personally by his receivers. Every so often he's able to put together a play that looks like an NFL QB play, but far more often he catches the shotgun snap, runs a few steps to his right, hops, and just throws it as hard as he can to the the hashes. It's really an all-encompassing murder by Waldman and the dude.

Will give it a look. 

Also, did the NFL encourage the two networks to play up the fact that Mariotta could go first? There's not a chance in hell anyone other than Winston goes to the Bucs...yet with this coverage you'd think there's a Bledsoe/Mirer thing going on here.

The Eagles are the only team coming up for Mariota, and I think the Jets are going to be the team that gets the deal done at a price that Chip can handle. It's all in my upcoming mock draft.

Kiper types?

Interesting logic. I'd like to extrapolate it further, if you don't mind... Unless T0m's gay, he's not gay.

Also, did the NFL encourage the two networks to play up the fact that Mariotta could go first? There's not a chance in hell anyone other than Winston goes to the Bucs...yet with this coverage you'd think there's a Bledsoe/Mirer thing going on here.

It has to be killing Roger that Jameis Winston is going to be the first overall pick, and all that anyone is going to talk about as he makes his way across that stage is whether or not he's a psycho rapist. But, without that and the fugazi Mariota angle, there really is no big headline in this draft. From a casual fan perspective, it's fairly boring. 

Moving up for Mariota makes ZERO sense. The two season's Mariota will be holding the clipboard on the sideline, Wilk will be on his way to the Pro Bowl. And the two season on the sidelines is the best case scenario for Mariota. If someone has legit doubts he will not amount to much in the NFL i won't blame them.

JETS would be better served to hold on their Wilk.

QB wins championships. If you think mariota or Winston is that guy you make the move

You got this news 4 months before Shefter reported it. 

He's a guy you don't want to trade, but this is what rebuilding franchises do. The Jets/Mo's agents obviously leaked this news to draw up interest and let every-team know he's available. He certainly is a guy that may be moved on draft day wether we like it or not. 

you have us trading down for a LT ?

lame

Archived