Jets being contacted for Wilkerson

prime21

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that they have tabled his contract talks til after the draft has had me wondering over the past two weeks if they would trade him.  They could be far apart in terms of compensation and guarantees but to just table it seems fishy.  Could they move up to #2 for MM using Mo?  I don't know man.  I really don't want to mess with our line but we have to do what we have to do.

Only makes sense if you can get Williams at 6 and a king's ransom for Wilkerson. On a side note, why is it that the Jets can never seem to retain their own stars and end up trading them?

Hugh Douglas, Keyshawn Johnson, John Abraham, Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss, Jonathan Vilma, and Darrelle Revis...it's like we're the only team in the league that refuses to come to terms with paying their own players. 

Well, he's going to cost us a lot of $$$ to keep.  If he plays out his contract, he's gone in FA.

Beerfish is spot on if Williams falls to us!  Muhammed is worth a high Round 1 plus a 3rd or 4th.

and honestly... has he consistently been "all that" for us?

Stupid.  You have no idea how any of these guys pan out meanwhile, we have on of the best 3-4 DE's in the league on our squad.  Local boy, home grown, one of the few draft picks we've hit in the past 10 years.  

I hate the Jets.

Well, he's going to cost us a lot of $$$ to keep.  If he plays out his contract, he's gone in FA.

Beerfish is spot on if Williams falls to us!  Muhammed is worth a high Round 1 plus a 3rd or 4th.

and honestly... has he consistently been "all that" for us?

The Jets can franchise Wilkerson. In what world are you living in that you think the Jets would just let Wilkerson moonwalk into free agency?

If the Jets are in love with Mariota, Wilkerson could be used as a chip to move up.

Depends on two things.

1) Are the Jets in love with Mariota enough to seriously want to move up?

2)  Where are the Jets' and Wilkerson in negotiations?  Are they at an impasse and 10's of millions apart on his value, and the Jets don't think they can get a deal done?

Could also be a ploy leaked by the Jets to put some pressure on Wilkerson, to get him to back off a very hard stance.  or to back his agents off.  Wilkerson is a local kid who is very tight with his family.  he might not want to move across the country.

This could get interesting 

If the Jets are in love with Mariota, Wilkerson could be used as a chip to move up.

Depends on two things.

1) Are the Jets in love with Mariota enough to seriously want to move up?

2)  Where are the Jets' and Wilkerson in negotiations?  Are they at an impasse and 10's of millions apart on his value, and the Jets don't think they can get a deal done?

Could also be a ploy leaked by the Jets to put some pressure on Wilkerson, to get him to back off a very hard stance.  or to back his agents off.  Wilkerson is a local kid who is very tight with his family.  he might not want to move across the country.

This could get interesting 

Moving up for Mariota makes ZERO sense. The two season's Mariota will be holding the clipboard on the sideline, Wilk will be on his way to the Pro Bowl. And the two season on the sidelines is the best case scenario for Mariota. If someone has legit doubts he will not amount to much in the NFL i won't blame them.

JETS would be better served to hold on their Wilk.

Stupid.  You have no idea how any of these guys pan out meanwhile, we have on of the best 3-4 DE's in the league on our squad.  Local boy, home grown, one of the few draft picks we've hit in the past 10 years.  

I hate the Jets.

would you also be mad at the jets if other teams approached the jets and inquired about trading for sheldon and revis?

I have no problem with making Mo play out his contract and even hitting him with the franchise tag after that.  I do have a massive problem with actively attempting to trade him.  No problem with listening to other teams' offers either.  But that is where it ends.  You do not screw with the one component of the team that actually works nearly flawlessly.   I will go ape-$hit if they are seriously planning on moving him.  Hopefully, this is a lot of hu-hu about nuttin'.

Only makes sense if you can get Williams at 6 and a king's ransom for Wilkerson. On a side note, why is it that the Jets can never seem to retain their own stars and end up trading them?

Hugh Douglas, Keyshawn Johnson, John Abraham, Laveranues Coles, Santana Moss, Jonathan Vilma, and Darrelle Revis...it's like we're the only team in the league that refuses to come to terms with paying their own players. 

this makes some of our fans happy who continually harp about "overpaying" as if that's a thing. overpaying is a long term condition, not a short term one. You can pay a mercenary kicker $25M on a one year deal and you won't enter cap Hell. The danger is the guaranteed money, not the $/year figure.

M. Gilchrist                                                                                                  

Pryor                     D. Harris                        B. Skrine                                                                          

D. Revis            Ik Enemkpali         Coples   Snacks   Richardson       Pace                             A. Cromartie

base def for passing league

The Jets can franchise Wilkerson. In what world are you living in that you think the Jets would just let Wilkerson moonwalk into free agency?

Haven't paid him yet and they have had ample opportunity.

Instead they way overpaid CRO

The fact that they have tabled his contract talks til after the draft has had me wondering over the past two weeks if they would trade him.  They could be far apart in terms of compensation and guarantees but to just table it seems fishy.  Could they move up to #2 for MM using Mo?  I don't know man.  I really don't want to mess with our line but we have to do what we have to do.

Or they could just be using his "stalled contract negotiations" as a smokescreen. 

Source: Jets' Wilkerson drawing trade interest

Even though standout defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson has been a no-show at the Jets' voluntary offseason workouts, he is very much on the mind of other teams.

At least two teams, and possibly more, have approached the Jets about trading for the 25-year-old Wilkerson, a league source told Adam Schefter of ESPN.

More calls from teams are expected as Thursday night's draft gets underway, according to the source.

Just as the Chargers don't plan to trade Philip Rivers and the Vikings don't intend to trade Adrian Peterson, the Jets don't plan to trade Wilkerson. But all of those teams are expected to listen to offers. It is up to another team to sway those clubs' thinking, which could happen in any of the cases.

Wilkerson could be the most attractive defensive player potentially available. Any team interested in acquiring him would have to weigh whether he is better than the player or players it could draft this week. Were he in this draft, Wilkerson would be considered a sure-fire top-10 pick, per one league executive.

I don't want Williams at the cost of Mo.  We are drafting a replacement and then pick up some late picks?  I want Mo playing with Fowler or Beasley or Dupree.  It would mean we didn't add that top Tier talent to our current squad.  Get rid of one and replace him and it's like we never had the 6th pick.

would you also be mad at the jets if other teams approached the jets and inquired about trading for sheldon and revis?

Obviously I dont care if a team inquires...but I feel like I've been hearing about Wilk as trade bait all offseason so this kind of feels like maybe there are some legs with this rumor.  And I'm saying its stupid to trade him.  Very stupid. 

Archived